"Sasser" worm virus

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
Well crap. I was one of the many fortunate ones who got introduced to the "Blaster" worm virus a while back. Now I have this new virus, the "Sasser" worm virus.

For those who don't know about it check here for an article to read about it.

Hopefully MS gets their patch up and running to combat this. Time for a good firewall. First time shame on them. Second time, shame on me! :D

sikdogg

sikdogg

Hang'n & Bang'n
Awards
  • Established
Run Windows Update to get patched. Also, this worm is harmless to you PC so getting infected is more of an inconvenience then anything else.

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
It isn't getting in my network at work since I did a shitload of work last time for Blaster :D

Windows updates, effective antivirus and firewalls....if you're not up on all 3 you're asking for it :shoot:

goldylight

***** Vampire
Awards
  • Established
You use any patch management software like hfnetchk pro?

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
No I just use Windows automatic updating service and schedule updates at night, followed by anti-virus defs also. I have all PC's setup to boot up at staggered times depending upon dept. and do checks for various upgrades and patches (antivirus, windows, other apps).

sikdogg

sikdogg

Hang'n & Bang'n
Awards
  • Established
I guess we have a few IT geeks here (myself included)...

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
My network has gotten slammed with bagel and sasser the last few days. I'm really growing tired of all of these damn viruses.

goldylight

***** Vampire
Awards
  • Established
No I just use Windows automatic updating service and schedule updates at night, followed by anti-virus defs also. I have all PC's setup to boot up at staggered times depending upon dept. and do checks for various upgrades and patches (antivirus, windows, other apps).
you should look into microsofts SUS server(software update services). It is basically a corporate windows update. you just install sus server.. all machines that have win2k sp4 are ready to support sus, otherwise just a registry or a local machine policy change.. pretty simple.. just point windows update to sus server,, and approve patches from the sus server. This way you are in total control of what you want to push out.

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
you should look into microsofts SUS server(software update services). It is basically a corporate windows update. you just install sus server.. all machines that have win2k sp4 are ready to support sus, otherwise just a registry or a local machine policy change.. pretty simple.. just point windows update to sus server,, and approve patches from the sus server. This way you are in total control of what you want to push out.
I'm quite familiar with it, the VP of finance dept. isn't ;) Getting new servers or product licensing is worse than pulling teeth around here, I'm in education :mad:

goldylight

***** Vampire
Awards
  • Established
the SW is free - i guess being in education makes getting servers tough tho. Just wait for one bad outbreak - you will get the server and you get to play "i told you so":D