Anti-Spyware Software - Waz dah best?

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What do you guys recommend? I have some weird crap going on with my computer and I need it cleaned up.

thanks guys

tattoopierced1

try out Malware-bytes if you have some stuff on your PC you want cleaned..

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
thanks guys!

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
try out Malware-bytes if you have some stuff on your PC you want cleaned..
Really good scanner.

Most real-time applications don't catch the "rogue antivirus applications" that popup on machines. Best bet if you get an infection is to immediately scan with this. In some cases the infection will prevent this application from running. COMBOFIX, is another good post infection cleaner.

Microsoft Security Essentials isn't a bad program either.

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
I agree malware bytes is solid and I am also a fan of spybot. Did your computer recently become infected? Just curious I work in IT and deal with stuff like this all the time.

DmitryWI

DmitryWI

I know nothing...
Awards
  • Established
I agree malware bytes is solid and I am also a fan of spybot. Did your computer recently become infected? Just curious I work in IT and deal with stuff like this all the time.
Yep. I got both of those. Spybot is bad ass.

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
Vipre firewall/anti virus, fast and effective.

Shane0Mac

Awards
i use malware bytes, super anti spyware, clam antivirus and AVG free.
sometimes i have had AVG miss some though and that resulted in me accidentally putting a worm on my schools network and it did a pretty good job of f***ing it up.

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
Just an FYI Peer Guardian is the best 3rd party firewall you can get (because we all know how exploited windows firewall has become). It's free.....and they only have a Release Candidate out for Vista\Win7 (which means it's a development in process but they have a working model)

http://phoenixlabs.org/pg2/

pool_shark

pool_shark

Awards
Check with your ISP, a lot of them offer free security software for their current customers.

Adelphia offers freedom security, Time Warner offers CA security suite.

I haven't had a virus or any type of attack since installing this software years ago.

Last edited:
CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just read this review on Maximum PC last night. Hope it gives ya some ideas.

I have none on my Mac and my wife runs Norton 2010 (which I am happy with).

Last edited:
borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Check with your ISP, a lot of them offer free security software for their current customers.

Adelphia offers freedom security, Time Warner offers CA security suite.

I haven't had a virus or any type of attack since installing this software years ago.
Really? I have Time Warner... I will ask tomorrow.
Thank You PS!

BryanM

Awards
  • Established
Seriously the free ones are ****, Spybot was good in like 2006

Microsoft security essentials is the best free one out there that actually does anything.

But when it comes to this the saying 'you get what you pay for' comes into play

Norton is the fastest and picks up quite a bit

Kaspersky is the most solid and will give you around the best protection, but it gives lots of annoying pop ups.

Webroot is a very good choice as well

Malware byes is legit for an on demand scanner but its better at removing viruses that you already have vs keeping you from getting them in the first place.

I manage the Geeksquad by the way so I see this **** everyday

When it comes to viruses dont use limewire watch out for the stupid pop ups from facebook, watch out for email attachments, and if you do get a pop up that says your infected download this or that and it will clean your system up for you dont click on it at all even the no button.

Use alt control delete and then use the task manager to end whatever it is thats running without actually clicking on it.

Also run daily scans with your antivirus and youll be fine/.

Vtaper

Awards
I use ESET NOD32, it doesnt slow your computer down like other programs can.

buuzer0

buuzer0

Awards
  • Established
for a system already infested with spyware i have used a combination of the free versions of the following: lavasoft Ad-Aware SE, malwarebytes anti malware, super anti spyware, and spybot search and destroy. Some of them caught certain things that the others missed.

Now, as far as keeping viruses off of my machine and alerting me to when I'm visiting a dangerous page, I have used Avast Antivirus for the past few years. It's free, updates often, and also good for cleaning an already infected system. As a general rule I don't install Norton anything, it's always been a complete waste. Just bloated and never helped me in the past. Hell, I always uninstall it when it comes on a computer or with windows.