Anyone more into Eastern religions?

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I find myself much more connected to Eastern religion, than any western religion.

Rhyno

Rhyno

Awards
  • Established
Yes, I am Buddhist. Was a religion major in college; got a chance to study Eastern religion. It's cool sh1t.

Old school Kabbalah (Merkavah through Lurianic periods) is pretty cool too. Although, I can not say I am a fan of many of its new age reincarnations.

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
i'm looking into buddism right now, and have been for a minute.

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
I know a little about most religions. Born and raised catholic. What would you boys say is the significant differences between eastern and western religions?

Rhyno

Rhyno

Awards
  • Established
Ha ha, cool man. Born Catholic myself. I think being forced to go to mass as a kid ruined it for me.

Generally speaking, most Western religions are faith based: meaning that we believe what we believe based on absolute faith in you respective higher power (God, YHVH, Allah, etc.). This is something that is usually not seen in Eastern religion.

A lot of Eastern religions are mystically based, that is, the body/mind is used as a vehicle for discovering the true nature of the world, oneself, god, etc. Whereas in Western religion, we are told what is truth and we are expected to accept it, in eastern religion we get to test what we told through spiritual practice.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I was a Buddhist for awhile and then converted to Hinduism. Not all Hindus are vegetarian btw. I find it very interesting that in Hinduism there is talk of the astral realm, and it even mentions 7 chakras, which I've heard about way before I was even interested in religion. I've been interested in astral travel for awhile.

BoyFromAus

Awards
  • Established
i've been researching hinduism and buddhism.

I really like the spiritual aspect of both. They seem to go in deep in talking about the universe etc. as well as science.

But I don't like the religious aspect of any religion since "following the right path" in life, to me seems like blind dogma

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I was drawn to Hinduism, because basically I became fascinated with Shiva.

Rhyno

Rhyno

Awards
  • Established
Sweet dude. I know a lot of saviate sadhu's (shiva worshiping monks) smoke herb to commune with their diety. :439: For holidays, they basically stay stoned the whole day. Cool business, in my book.

You do any puja?

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Sweet dude. I know a lot of saviate sadhu's (shiva worshiping monks) smoke herb to commune with their diety. :439: For holidays, they basically stay stoned the whole day. Cool business, in my book.

You do any puja?
I say different mantras during the day and I offer each meal, especially meals that I find precious, such as meat and dairy. I've had Shiva dreams as well.

Rhyno

Rhyno

Awards
  • Established
Bad ass dude. For sh1ts and gigs, check out the Kapalikas. They are a sect of saviate that live in graveyards and smear there bodies with human ashes. Also carry around a human skull for their alms bowl. Pretty nutty sh1t.

Vance

Vance

Awards
  • Established
Taoism is a very cool religion, particularly when you apply it to weight training. Effortless effort and all that. If you haven't done much reading on it I'd check it out. It tends to be one of the lesser known Eastern Faiths but it's very interesting.

I was born and raised catholic but I have my own hybridised idea of what's what in relation to spirituality and religion.

Rhyno

Rhyno

Awards
  • Established
I haven't had much of a chance to study taoism. I gotta pick up the "Tao of Pooh" sometime.

noot

noot

Awards
  • Established
I really like the polytheism religions, I guess they are mostly found in Eastern part of the world. Just the fact that your don't have to focus on one God for all the answers just seems to much easier on the conscience.

As in, you can't really say "Oh yeah, well homosexuality goes against God"....Because there isn't just one, you have to be more specific to whom it is a problem for...and I guess for any other related situation...Basically you pleasing the one you want....It's just seems more peaceful and not as barbaric as Christian/Catholic view of religion where it's a bit more douchey, where you just believe that your God is better than anyone's.

But then again I could be a bit misinformed...But I don't really here the following being said, "Well, since this guy is believe in polytheism...He would obviously believe in ____" where as the same with someone following Christianity or some other one god religion "Oh well, since he is a Christian...and the bible....he most likely doesn't believe in homosexuality, abortion, stem cell, etc."

Just seems like polytheism doesn't not carry as much package if you are associated to that sort of a religion. People don't assume your views ahead of time and the religion is not usually used in politics.

And also, all these polytheistic religions seems to be a lot more peaceful and almost zen-like. It's almost like atheism, in the sense that you are just their in the middle...not really choosing one side and claiming it's the best....

...heh, I hope my point has not be lost, lol

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have studied eastern religions for years, always find Buddhism and Taoism as interesting options for those who are not satisfied with the typical belief systems they have grown up with.

bigdognhb

Awards
I see this thread taking off.. I like the teachings of the eastern religions. I wouldnt really call myself a Buddhist but I do like the teachings and the theory behind it. I feel you need to be happy with yourself and your life before you can make others happy. I am a firm believer in KARMA. Id like to think that if there is a place we go to after we die, as long as we live a good life we will get to that place. If there is nothing we still leave behind the memories of being a good person in the people that loved us while we were here.

Even though I see a possible heated discussion coming out of this thread. I think the difference in eastern and western religions is that the eastern religions were ment to bring peace where as a large amount of western religion history has been used to control people when government and religion were basically one in the same

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I really like the polytheism religions, I guess they are mostly found in Eastern part of the world. Just the fact that your don't have to focus on one God for all the answers just seems to much easier on the conscience.

As in, you can't really say "Oh yeah, well homosexuality goes against God"....Because there isn't just one, you have to be more specific to whom it is a problem for...and I guess for any other related situation...Basically you pleasing the one you want....It's just seems more peaceful and not as barbaric as Christian/Catholic view of religion where it's a bit more douchey, where you just believe that your God is better than anyone's.

But then again I could be a bit misinformed...But I don't really here the following being said, "Well, since this guy is believe in polytheism...He would obviously believe in ____" where as the same with someone following Christianity or some other one god religion "Oh well, since he is a Christian...and the bible....he most likely doesn't believe in homosexuality, abortion, stem cell, etc."

Just seems like polytheism doesn't not carry as much package if you are associated to that sort of a religion. People don't assume your views ahead of time and the religion is not usually used in politics.

And also, all these polytheistic religions seems to be a lot more peaceful and almost zen-like. It's almost like atheism, in the sense that you are just their in the middle...not really choosing one side and claiming it's the best....

...heh, I hope my point has not be lost, lol
Polytheism sounds like the Progressive Auto-Insurance of religions

Rhyno

Rhyno

Awards
  • Established
I think the difference in eastern and western religions is that the eastern religions were ment to bring peace where as a large amount of western religion history has been used to control people when government and religion were basically one in the same
As westerners we tend to romanticize eastern religions in this way. Unfortunately, this is not the case.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
As westerners we tend to romanticize eastern religions in this way. Unfortunately, this is not the case.
I do think the history of eastern religions tends to be more peaceful than the monotheistic beliefs that are middle eastern in origin. Even reading the texts, leads one that way.

Vance

Vance

Awards
  • Established
I do think the history of eastern religions tends to be more peaceful than the monotheistic beliefs that are middle eastern in origin. Even reading the texts, leads one that way.
Guessing you've never seen how 20 million chinese taoists fight a land war. :lol:

I'm with Rhyno. In fact if you were to line up a bunch of quotes from say the Pope and the Dalai Llama and ask a bunch of westerners to pick who said what I'm pretty sure you'd find yourself surprised. ;)

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Guessing you've never seen how 20 million chinese taoists fight a land war. :lol:

I'm with Rhyno. In fact if you were to line up a bunch of quotes from say the Pope and the Dalai Llama and ask a bunch of westerners to pick who said what I'm pretty sure you'd find yourself surprised. ;)
If you compare overall histories, I hate to say it its not really close. Although I will say this, most "theists" of some sort could go in the direction of violence
edit:

I think your 20 million estimate is a tad exaggerated. As taoism today barely has 20 million followers, and they are spread throughout the world. Most are cetnered in taiwan

Vance

Vance

Awards
  • Established
If you compare overall histories, I hate to say it its not really close. Although I will say this, most "theists" of some sort could go in the direction of violence
edit:

I think your 20 million estimate is a tad exaggerated. As taoism today barely has 20 million followers, and they are spread throughout the world. Most are cetnered in taiwan
You assumed I was talking about today, and I wasn't. I was speaking from a historical perspective. Pretty sure 20 million guys fighting a landwar today would be newsworthy. :lol:

There's been armies of buddhists & taoists who have slaughtered each other many many times in history. Shogunate Japan and the three kingdoms era in China being easy examples.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I did assume your reference was historical. As it seems highly unlikely every Taoist on the planet being rounded up to fight.

I know many instances where Buddhists and Taoists were involved in disputes, however, it is not necessarily a fair comparison to make against Middle Eastern monotheistic beliefs.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Regardless of the belief system, all believers get manipulated into fighting for those in power. The "us versus them" mindset gets applied whenever conflict over resources, power, land etc arise. Eastern religions typically don't have "us versus them" clauses written into their doctrine, but one can see from the history of China and the Shogunate of Japan, that the clause still gets used.

I do appreciate Buddhism for peaceful introspection, Western religions for emphasis on helping the "lesser among us", but at the end of the day I take it all with a grain of salt.

Vance

Vance

Awards
  • Established
Regardless of the belief system, all believers get manipulated into fighting for those in power. The "us versus them" mindset gets applied whenever conflict over resources, power, land etc arise. Eastern religions typically don't have "us versus them" clauses written into their doctrine, but one can see from the history of China and the Shogunate of Japan, that the clause still gets used.

I do appreciate Buddhism for peaceful introspection, Western religions for emphasis on helping the "lesser among us", but at the end of the day I take it all with a grain of salt.
Bingo. :)

In the last few years you'd probably find it hard to believe there is only a small reference to 'jihad' in the koran, the way the terms is now bandied about so freely and used as the basis for so much suffering in the world.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Yep. Or such huuuuuge emphasis on homosexuality or the Devil when the Bible mentions them very little.

bigdognhb

Awards
Reguardless of religion there will be wars. There is probably a Buddhist and a Christian in the same platoon right now in the middle east. I guarantee neither of them will hesitate to pull the trigger

omni

omni

Awards
  • Established
I studied martial arts past down from my father his father etc. All the stuff I learned about meditation, chi, and "supernatural" things (things you see in movies) I didn't relate to religion although there are very strong ties. My mother hated the training and I grew up a christian although the bible warns against spiritism. I've started studying more about chakras now that I'm older and the information is easy to find. I never saw the things I was learning in writing and is very interesting to see in diferent forms in many religions. I'm not a pacifist by any means but i'm interested in learning about the beliefs.

Blacktail

Blacktail

Awards
  • Established
Yep. Or such huuuuuge emphasis on homosexuality or the Devil when the Bible mentions them very little.
I don't think it has to mention it a lot when it references it in such a bad light. eg; Sodom/Gomorrah account or from God in the bible saying its a detestable thing among many others.. and the Devil I mean LOL....He ruined everything from the beginning and is mentioned throughout....You need to study more before you talk out of your ass.

As for Eastern Religions...I studied Ninjistu for a long while which has a strong tie to Buddhism. I learned and saw some crazy things. I could not reconcile the path to emptiness though with my brain and outlook on life, so I quit. It was an experience of a lifetime though. Definitely teaches you to not underestimate someone based on size alone..

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I have a minor in humanities, but sure throw out an insult to cover your supposed Biblical expertise. Satan is mentioned twice in the Old Testament, and not all that often in the New Testament of the earliest versions of the Bible. He was added in more and more during the Dark Ages to scare more people into the pulpits and give modern dolts more talking points on the internet.

As far as homosexuality, many Biblical historians think the emphasis of Sodom was the cultural practice of older men taking on a male child lover under the guise of being their mentor. This was a common practice amongst Greeks, Romans and surrounding tribes and some believe was the gist of Christ's "abomination" speech.

The all you can eat buffet at Red Lobster is also an "abomination" as are about a hundred other outdated things so I don't get the desire to take a literal translation of the Bible when most folks who do that only cherry pick the content that is convenient for them incorporate into their lives like hating on gays or start some wacky talk about the Devil is doing this, that, and the other. YOU and I are responsible for evil things going on, mostly through apathy towards our fellow man which was more of the real focus of Christ's teachings...not the devil or some group of disagreeable people.

Andy G

Andy G

Awards
I know a little about most religions. Born and raised catholic. What would you boys say is the significant differences between eastern and western religions?
"People in the west are always 'getting ready' to live."

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i dont allow religion into my country. my father banned it when he freed the people.

Andy G

Andy G

Awards
I find myself much more connected to Eastern religion, than any western religion.
Two years ago I was blessed with the opportunity of a lifetime, imo. I got to go and see H.H. The Dalai Lama speak at the Chrysler Center in Ann Arbor for 3 hours. I have been studying/practicing Buddhism for years, however I cannot call myself a Buddhist. I am deeply interested in it and it has done wonders for me in recovery.(Drug & alcohol addiction). At times it can be utterly confusing, but deep concepts & thoughts kind of seep their way into my psyche over time and eventually I can comprehend them to an extent.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
"So I jump ship in Hong Kong and make my way over to Tibet, and I get on as a looper at a course over in the Himalayas. A looper, you know, a caddy, a looper, a jock. So, I tell them I'm a pro jock, and who do you think they give me? The Dalai Lama, himself. Twelfth son of the Lama. The flowing robes, the grace, bald... striking. So, I'm on the first tee with him. I give him the driver. He hauls off and whacks one - big hitter, the Lama - long, into a ten-thousand foot crevasse, right at the base of this glacier. Do you know what the Lama says? Gunga galunga... gunga, gunga-galunga. So we finish the 18th and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice."

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
I have a minor in humanities, but sure throw out an insult to cover your supposed Biblical expertise. Satan is mentioned twice in the Old Testament, and not all that often in the New Testament of the earliest versions of the Bible. He was added in more and more during the Dark Ages to scare more people into the pulpits and give modern dolts more talking points on the internet.

As far as homosexuality, many Biblical historians think the emphasis of Sodom was the cultural practice of older men taking on a male child lover under the guise of being their mentor. This was a common practice amongst Greeks, Romans and surrounding tribes and some believe was the gist of Christ's "abomination" speech.

The all you can eat buffet at Red Lobster is also an "abomination" as are about a hundred other outdated things so I don't get the desire to take a literal translation of the Bible when most folks who do that only cherry pick the content that is convenient for them incorporate into their lives like hating on gays or start some wacky talk about the Devil is doing this, that, and the other. YOU and I are responsible for evil things going on, mostly through apathy towards our fellow man which was more of the real focus of Christ's teachings...not the devil or some group of disagreeable people.

I'm not sure which Bible you are reading but satan is mentioned more than just a couple times. Satan, the devil, the enemy, the adversary , the thief. All refer to satan. No wonder you don't think there us evil and Satan is the rules of darkness. You are reading the wrong book.

Andy G

Andy G

Awards
"So I jump ship in Hong Kong and make my way over to Tibet, and I get on as a looper at a course over in the Himalayas. A looper, you know, a caddy, a looper, a jock. So, I tell them I'm a pro jock, and who do you think they give me? The Dalai Lama, himself. Twelfth son of the Lama. The flowing robes, the grace, bald... striking. So, I'm on the first tee with him. I give him the driver. He hauls off and whacks one - big hitter, the Lama - long, into a ten-thousand foot crevasse, right at the base of this glacier. Do you know what the Lama says? Gunga galunga... gunga, gunga-galunga. So we finish the 18th and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice."
Love that movie, love that line, love this post.

Blacktail

Blacktail

Awards
  • Established
Satan is mentioned twice in the Old Testament, and not all that often in the New Testament of the earliest versions of the Bible. He was added in more and more during the Dark Ages to scare more people into the pulpits and give modern dolts more talking points on the internet.
I'm not sure which Bible you are reading but satan is mentioned more than just a couple times. Satan, the devil, the enemy, the adversary , the thief. All refer to satan. No wonder you don't think there us evil and Satan is the rules of darkness. You are reading the wrong book.
Exactly among others. Where is your proof btw? Because ancient manuscripts are pretty close in translation to todays buddy. Sounds more like you are internet educated yourself.

Not prudent
I says it the way I sees it.

I have a minor in humanities, but sure throw out an insult to cover your supposed Biblical expertise.

Not an insult, Its what you are doing, because you are unlearned and wrong. My Biblical expertise is obviously far superior to yours. Satan is the term for "resister" in the Bible, Whereas Ha-Satan refers to the person. The Translations into our many languages have used words obviously different than the Jews, SO it it harder to understand where he is without some research. Common sense and cross reference goes a long way though. .

In the Bible the Men and Boys wanted to rape the Angels visiting there. They knew they were men. That is indisputable.
22*“And you must not lie down with a male the same as you lie down with a woman. It is a detestable thing."OT
Pretty much sums up God's sentiment from the Bible.
"9*What! Do YOU not know that unrighteous persons will not inherit God’s kingdom? Do not be misled. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men kept for unnatural purposes, nor men who lie with men,.."NT
The abomination of desolation has nothing to do with that at all. You really should research things yourself. It would frankly refer to the league of nations and the more recent United Nations.

Bonus ;" Further, remember that Jesus was a Jew living under the law of Moses. His use of por·nei′a, says Edward Robinson’s Greek and English Lexicon of the New Testament, apparently includes ‘all intercourse interdicted by the Mosaic Law.’ That Law included among its injunctions: “Do not lie with a male as one lies with a woman; it is an abhorrence.” (Lev. 18:22, The Torah, The Five Books of Moses, by the Jewish Publication Society of America) Por·nei′a, the word used by Jesus, obviously embraced this command of God."

This is YOUR belief and opinions, don't state it like it fact. I read the bible as a whole. I take it as a whole. It has a theme front to back and is congruent within,IF you take the time to study it. Jesus teachings were focused on the complete vindication of Gods right to rule humanity.The question set forth by Satan the devil in the beginning and is coming to a head in our day. BTW The Hebrew law ended with the Christ. Christians are not under it.

I see what kind of a researcher you are and the mindset you carry.I don't wish to waste my time with you anymore. SO I shall shake the dust from my feet and be on my merry way.

Rhyno

Rhyno

Awards
  • Established
I've seen Sodom and Gomorrah argued in either way. I do not care to address this point as the resulting debate, imho, would be pointless.

But I must address your following statement:

Because ancient manuscripts are pretty close in translation to todays buddy.
I am sorry,but this is incorrect.

The ancient manuscripts are written in a foreign language as well as being encoded in metaphor and allergory. As a scholar of religion, you should know that any ancient text can not be removed from the cultural context from which it has arisen. And therefore, we are to not privy to many of the models of allegory and methaphor which the author is referencing. These models are constructs of the author's world, so the translator of these texts must reference similar works in order to decipher the author's intended meaning. Any bias on the part of the translator can significantly skew the original meaning (whatever that may be).

It is clear that you have great knowledge of the Bible from a Christian-biased perspective. While I cannot fault you for having these views, if you are not taking an objective view when interpreting the Bilble, aren't your views just the same "beliefs and opinions" you faulted Bioman for?

In all honesty, I do not care what you believe. But I think it is sad that your faith has blinded you into thinking that you have moral supperiority over others. Why not let God be the judge of them, and not man's interpretations of his Word.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Exhibit A.) You cast the first stone with your insulting remark "pulled out of your ass".

Exhibit B.) You are neither forgiving nor loving of your neighbor.

You = FAILed Christian.

I rest my case.

Caferacer

Caferacer

Awards
  • Established
Taoism is a very cool religion, particularly when you apply it to weight training. Effortless effort and all that. If you haven't done much reading on it I'd check it out. It tends to be one of the lesser known Eastern Faiths but it's very interesting.

I was born and raised catholic but I have my own hybridised idea of what's what in relation to spirituality and religion.
I've been taoist for quite a while now.

I identify better with it than Christianity since most of it doesn't involve praying to a god, but working on yourself. Humility, thought and inaction before action and directing thoughts inward is a good part of it. Ultimately, tao does not care about you. You don't pray to tao asking it to make things right in your life, you do it yourself in the hope it can bring you one step closer to finally since the world and everything in it as tao.

It evolved over the years it was in practice, so if I had to guess as to what exact part of it I conform to it would be the earliest writing.

That's my feeling on it anyways. As far as people arguing christianity versus in this thread, I say this:

"True men breathe from their heels
Others breathe from their gullets
half strangled. In dispute
they heave up arguments
like vomit"

walugi

walugi

Awards
buddhism is one of the most brutal religions out there. It's stories and legends are very cool. It's something which i'm hoping i will have the time to look into

I do find it interesting, but I don't like how the dalai lama is put on such a pedestal by the west. The same guy that will piss on the pope for denouncing homosexuality and abortions, will drink the dalai lama's bathwater.

Pretty ridiculous