"The Pacific" from the creators of Band of Brothers!!

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
HBO: The Pacific: Videos

A 10-part mini-series from the creators of "Band of Brothers" telling the intertwined stories of three Marines during America's battle with the Japanese in the Pacific during World War II.

This should be as epic as Band of Brothers and I'm looking forward to watching it.

*posted some youtube trailers further down*

Last edited:
Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
sweeet...

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I know huh?!! Band of Brothers was the shiznit. I'm totally stoked to watch this, especially because it follows Marines. One of the off the wall questions I've always wondered is if I was alive during WWII would I have been in the war in Europe or the war in the Pacific. I've decided that either way I'm sure I'd have been in the military just as how I am today. Either one still would have been just as hellacious as the other, but I think being in Europe would have it's benefits over the Pacific because of the cities, girls, liquor, liberty etc. Not that they got a lot of those, but they didn't have any of those at all in the Pacific.

A Marine buddy of mine asked what time era I would like to live in, I said the 60's of course... his reply... "you know damn well that we would have still enlisted and been in Vietnam" Hahaha, so true.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Band of Brothers...by far the best miniseries ever produced.

This one should be excellent, maybe even worth a quick HBO add.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Band of Brothers...by far the best miniseries ever produced.

This one should be excellent, maybe even worth a quick HBO add.
I'm making up some fake orders to get out of my direct tv contract because they are pissing me off. Hopefully, it'll all be squared away and I'll have some free HBO for a few months with Dish by the time March rolls around, which is when the Pacific is to air. Otherwise, I'll find a site online to stream it and push to my TV.

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
I'm drooling!

I don't know how many times I've watched Band of Brothers. I've read the book like four times.

KrissJ

KrissJ

Awards
Oh my, oh my, oh my, it looks like it's going to be amazing! And lets face it, if it's even half as good as Band Of Brothers then it'll be one of the best war things ever made. I can't wait to see it!!!

Thank you so much for starting this thread, I had shivers all the way through the trailer just thinking how good it's going to be.

xtraflossy

xtraflossy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I saw a trailor on this a few months ago, and have been waiting since.
How much longer?

KrissJ

KrissJ

Awards
I saw a trailor on this a few months ago, and have been waiting since.
How much longer?
I just did a quick search on Wikipedia and found this:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pacific_(miniseries)

It says there will be ten episodes, the first of which will be shown on 14th March. :)

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yep, March 14th.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just a reminder everyone... The Pacific premieres this Sunday @ 9pm on HBO.

or you can be like me and find it online cuz I'm too cheap to pay for premium channels

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e99B80crU3E"]YouTube- The Pacific: Trailer (HBO)[/ame]

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0POWk_LO9A"]YouTube- The Pacific: Underwater Promo (HBO)[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eznAl2QJooQ"]YouTube- The Pacific Trailer #3 (HBO)[/ame]

BigNutz

BigNutz

Awards
  • Established
I will admit, this does look awesome, and Band of Brothers was probably the best war "film" ever made IMHO.

I read an article, however, in Esquire about how war has changed since 9/11 and how that has been reflected through entertainment. It was a great two page article from a guy who has seen "The Pacific". Basically his opinion was that it is nowhere near as good as BOB was, not wanting to stir up negative emotions in a populace whose sons may very well be over fighting in one as we watch it. His opinion was that the best war movie made recently was the single player campaign on Call Of Duty: Modern Combat. I will admit that was pretty well done. I will form my own opinion of it, as HBO has some great programming now and more so in the past (Carnivale, Deadwood, Rome, etc.)

Generation Kill was a HBO production about Marines, too and I thought it was good, nowhere near BOB though.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I will admit, this does look awesome, and Band of Brothers was probably the best war "film" ever made IMHO.

I read an article, however, in Esquire about how war has changed since 9/11 and how that has been reflected through entertainment. It was a great two page article from a guy who has seen "The Pacific". Basically his opinion was that it is nowhere near as good as BOB was, not wanting to stir up negative emotions in a populace whose sons may very well be over fighting in one as we watch it. His opinion was that the best war movie made recently was the single player campaign on Call Of Duty: Modern Combat. I will admit that was pretty well done. I will form my own opinion of it, as HBO has some great programming now and more so in the past (Carnivale, Deadwood, Rome, etc.)

Generation Kill was a HBO production about Marines, too and I thought it was good, nowhere near BOB though.

Let's see...
Carnivale, Deadwood, Rome I agree all were good. Too bad they were so short lived. I can only hope The Pacific will be at least on par with Band of Brothers. I have no doubt that it will be an amazing show and I may connect with it better than some average viewers being a Navy Corpsman serving with Marines, but I am also the kind of person that believes that you can never reproduce perfection you know. Like how great that summer was with your best bros, but you've been away for years and things just aren't the same when you go back kind of thing. I am still going to keep a positive mind open though and am excited for it. Of course war has changed since 9/11. Never has America been involved in military over urban terrain (MOUT) to the extent that we were in Iraq nor have we ever had such non conformed enemy combatants as we have had since 9/11. There are truly no uniforms and the enemy is blurred. Those would be just 2 big points out of many. The dynamics have changed dramatically. I even see it in the way we train and the mind sets of my brethren.

Generation Kill was an awesome book and the series was pretty good as well. Not on the same budget level etc. of Band of brothers of course. However, I loved it because of the little things that the average viewers would never pick up or get. Such as the not having AA batteries for equipment, having to grow mustaches then shave them off and the rumor that J Lo had been killed. All of that stuff went on through out the whole 1st Marine Division and even officers (who remember had less time in service than a lot of us), but were leaders none the less were spreading that damn rumor. The Recon Marine in the series "Rudy", that was the real Rudy. He got out of the Corps, but took on that project both for an acting role obviously, but mostly to keep the series true. A lot of Recon upper chains of command were pissed when the book came out because of how it made them look. That's another thing that changed since 9/11 is the dynamics of Marine Reconnaissance.

I've got no comment for the Call of Duty 'cause I don't play, but war movies that have been to reflect the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan I avoid. All they do is piss me the fukc off because they are so polluted with BS.

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
I'm looking forward to it..BOB was great and if this is half as good it will still be better than 99% of shows out there.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I can't even tell you how many times I've watched "Band of Brothers", or have read the book. This is without question the best mini-series ever produced. I'm getting HBO just for this new series!

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm getting HBO just for this also. Then I am promptly going to have my admin shop do my up some "orders" and get out of it. It's really the only show I want to watch on HBO right now.

Blacktail

Blacktail

Awards
  • Established
I can't even tell you how many times I've watched "Band of Brothers", or have read the book. This is without question the best mini-series ever produced. I'm getting HBO just for this new series!

Haven't read the book yet..didn't know there was one. Thought it was compiled from journals. I will have to pick up a copy!

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
Haven't read the book yet..didn't know there was one. Thought it was compiled from journals. I will have to pick up a copy!
It's a great book. Better than the movie, and i don't read many books.

There is even mention in the book about how Pvt. Ryan (Saving Private Ryan) was really found and notified about his fallen brother's.

I think I would follow Winters into hell, and I've never even met the man.

BigNutz

BigNutz

Awards
  • Established

There is even mention in the book about how Pvt. Ryan (Saving Private Ryan) was really found and notified about his fallen brother's.

Captain Spears was my favorite guy in that one. Winters a great man, Spears just a slightly nuts one.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Bumping as a reminder... tonight at 9pm on HBO or stream it online like me if you can find it.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
HBO NOW!!!!!!

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Damnit!!!! I couldn't find a working link. I'll just have to wait till it hits the torrents :(

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Damnit!!!! I couldn't find a working link. I'll just have to wait till it hits the torrents :(
It was pretty good. Today was Guadalcanal.

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
Great opener. I can't wait for the next one.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
OK Sorry guys, but I am now going to bow out of this thread until I get to watch it. I know someone's gonna come up in here and drop a spoiler for me, hahaha

pz

Blacktail

Blacktail

Awards
  • Established

I did not know that Pvt.Ryan form SPR was real either...I never really trust "based on a true story" movies as bieng close to real. example cool runnings haha. That movie was pretty much 100% bs. Thats cool tho that he was really real..I love that movie too. Gonna have to get me these books now.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Damn, I am switching to comcast, might have to add HBO this weekend. I absolutely loved Band of Brothers.

BigNutz

BigNutz

Awards
  • Established
So, what did you guys think? I wasnt overly impressed but its watchable. Anything that wears its politics on its face bothers me. I mean the captain who is all gung ho and racist, calling the Japanese yellow bastards, etc. is the guy sucking his thumb in the foxhole when the SHTF. How convenient.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
FYI... if you have Direct TV, but don't have HBO it is being played each night this week on Channel 101 (heard the same for Dish, but have not confirmed).

I am watching it right now... will tell ya'll my thoughts about it tomorrow.

pz

Rhyno

Rhyno

Awards
  • Established
Damn, wish I was in the States for this. B.o.B. was the sh*t.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ok... I think for those of us who got to know the characters of Band of Brothers so well it may take a little to warm up to these ones. But all in all, I think this is shaping up to be a damn good series for sure.

To note: John Basilone and Chesty Puller. If you are not familiar with them you should look them up along with 7th Marines. You can look up 1st Battalion 7th Marines in particular if you like, seeing as that was my battalion.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
BigNutz

BigNutz

Awards
  • Established
Ok... I think for those of us who got to know the characters of Band of Brothers so well it may take a little to warm up to these ones. But all in all, I think this is shaping up to be a damn good series for sure.
Right about that. The second episode was great!

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Reminder Episode 3 tonight!!

We saw Chesty and his boys getting some in episode 2. To include the heroic acts that won John Basilone the Medal of Honor.

n8te

n8te

Awards
  • Established
I'm watching the show for the first time tonight. Band of Brothers what thee ****, this is shaping up to be the same :)

n8te

n8te

Awards
  • Established
that stella sure is cute. I think I'm hooked on this show now.

purelife1

havent watched #3 yet..will check it out on demand this week..first 2 were very good

Deeerdre

Deeerdre

Awards
  • Established
Band of Brothers was such a good series I'm really excited about The Pacific.
The first episode was kick ass! Can't wait for the others.