Favorite Gym

jackfunky

jackfunky

Awards
What's everyone's favorite gym chain to go to?

Gonzo14

Gonzo14

Awards
  • Established
planet fitness
hahaha yea right

but really there is a small time privately run gym by me called Long Island Powerhouse, nice mix of old school beat up steal and new age technology
but if i had to pick a major chain it'd probably be Golds i guess

jackfunky

jackfunky

Awards
lol I will never understand why so people go to planet fitness! The free tanning is kinda cool i guess.

fatnewb

Awards
Equinox, Soho, John Mayre and Lenny Kravitz were there so you know its good

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
ditto, I invested in a power rack and bench and olympic set a while back and its been the best investment I ever made..:bigok:

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
Metro Fitness Worthington, OH (formerly Worlds)
24 hrs, 90% free weights and lots of 'em. Been going there off and on for 12 years.

n8te

n8te

Awards
  • Established
Peak Fitness...my only option. I've seen Winners gym on the net though its about an hr from here and looks good but thats just too far to drive.

phatmike0704

phatmike0704

Awards
  • Established
Golds but attend Lifetime

Cyberstalker

Awards
my favorite gym is in the basement of a very disturbed young man. We never really workout down there. I just dont feel comfortable when he spots me. I mean is it customary to wear a speedo when youre spotting someone on bench? One time i look up and he wasnt even there spotting anymore. He put a blowup doll in his place and i nearly died when the bar crashed across my sternum. I dont workout there any longer (or anywhere else for that matter) because his friend tim is always taking up his time.

CZERWIEC

Awards
Detroit Barbell one of the strongest gyms in the country

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
For bodybuilding, definetely Golds.

kanakafarian

kanakafarian

Awards
Gold's but there is none where I live now. So, 24HR for the convenience. I live accross the street and, well, they're open 24HR!

phatmike0704

phatmike0704

Awards
  • Established
lifetime
my old highschool gym
xsport
la fitness

daave

Awards
Ive been doing Crossfit for about 6 months now. I absolutely love it. I havent stepped foot in a normal gym since then. In the last 3 months, im up 13lbs and my body fat has dropped from (appx) 12-15% to 8-9% and thats only averaging 3x a week.

i went to planet fitness for a while.. the ones by me were OK. they didnt have a ton of rules or care if you made noise. the equipment was all new and the prices were great. hard to beat imo. ive heard horror stories at other locations, but never experienced it.

purebred

Crossfit's pretty expensive. Those cookie cutter programs don't really get you good at anything. You become average at everything. I'd prefer to stick to weights. If anything, I could get p90X burned for me on CDs from a buddy of mine. I definitely wouldn't pay anything ridiculous like most people do tho.

daave

Awards
Crossfit's pretty expensive. Those cookie cutter programs don't really get you good at anything. You become average at everything. I'd prefer to stick to weights. If anything, I could get p90X burned for me on CDs from a buddy of mine. I definitely wouldn't pay anything ridiculous like most people do tho.
yea its $150 a month. definitely not cheap, but its a better workout than a personal trainer and if i go 4x a week, its under $10 a session. I got to the point with working out at a regular gym where i didnt have the motivation to do it well anymore. I would go to the gym for 30-40 mins, and not accomplish more than the previous day. and id rarely workout my legs. the classes at my CF are hourly. so there isnt that "ill go in 20 mins" issue with procrastinating that i used to have.

each crossfit can do its own programming.. mine never does the same that the main site does. i would disagree with your point of "not getting good at anything"... im getting better at everything.

life isnt about being able to curl/squat/bench/(insert generic workout here) better than everyone else. id rather be good at everything, than the best at one thing.

CF isnt for everyone.. but it works for me bc it motivates me in ways that other gyms dont offer. a good workout routine is finding out what works best for you and one that you can stick with. sure, i could shell out $$ (or burn) p90x... but whats going to get myself off my ass to do the workout daily? im happy to pay my $150 a month to be part of a social network that motivates me to workout often and always improve.

purebred

I can definitely respect that you've found something that works for you and keeps you going. As long as you're getting better! Cheers to that, brother!