Hip-Hop is dead

BurghHardcore

Awards
  • Established
I don't even know who that idiot is. Hip-Hop has been "dead" for years. Too many jerk offs running around with chains blingin'...and their teeth...talking about bullsh*t. I can't even stand to listen to it anymore. It's ashame what that music has become....sad really. It angers me to see younger people these days in clubs, on the street...anywhere really, seeing how this crap (along with MANY other factors) has helped turned the youth of this country into f*cking selfish, materialistic, idiotic, and oblivious morons. Seeing this new so-called "hip-hop culture" is one of the reasons I don't go to clubs, I tend to easily get into trouble at those types of places (and no, it has nothing to do w/ alcohol). I could go on and on and on and on about this....but I won't. I will really end up just getting irritated.

I don't even call it Hip-Hop anymore, b/c it's NOT. Stick w/ the old school and you'll never be disappointed.

-KRS One aka The Teacher...everyone in the game today needs to listen to this man
-EPMD
-De La Soul
-A Tribe Called Quest
-Rakim
-Mos Def
-Talib Kweli
-Nas
-9th Wonder
-The entire Bootcamp Click

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
It's sad to see its current state. But, people are buying that ****. Buncha weirdos.

Raptorbh12

Awards
Stick w/ the old school and you'll never be disappointed.
Unless 3 note repetitive hooks dissapoint you then I would suggest updating your tupac, and Rakim collections to their rightful dumpster.
"hip-hop" today has nothing to do with what we called hip-hop in the early 90's, its an overpopulated market driven by money. I have to admit though, its alot easier on the ears than the early 90s junk.

MK9

MK9

Awards
  • Established
Add to that list:
Gangstarr
Pete Rock & CL Smooth
Freddie Foxx
MC Lyte
Shadez of Brooklyn
Dj Premiere

BurghHardcore

Awards
  • Established
Add to that list:
Gangstarr
Pete Rock & CL Smooth
Freddie Foxx
MC Lyte
Shadez of Brooklyn
Dj Premiere
I'm disappointed in myself for forgetting Gangstarr!!! Pete Rock & CL Smooth are sick as well. Good additions!

MK9

MK9

Awards
  • Established
Our list is by all means not complete thats for sure :)
Heather B
Afu-Ra
Crooklyn Dodgers
THose just came to mind. I wish that type of music was playing loud and proud..

Keep em coming BurghHardcore

Oh.. I have alot of that stuff on my playlist on youtube which I believe is publicly shared.. Always good to listen to while I work.
MK9

BurghHardcore

Awards
  • Established
Unless 3 note repetitive hooks dissapoint you then I would suggest updating your tupac, and Rakim collections to their rightful dumpster.
"hip-hop" today has nothing to do with what we called hip-hop in the early 90's, its an overpopulated market driven by money. I have to admit though, its alot easier on the ears than the early 90s junk.
Tupac has always been in a dumpster for me. Please realize that Tupac was never considered hip-hop (unless you take into consideration his brief stint in Digital Underground), at least hip-hop in its true form. Also, if you feel that Rakim and anyone else on that tiny list belongs in a dumpster, then you are one of the unfortunatel fools that I alluded to in my first post.

hip-hop" today has nothing to do with what we called hip-hop in the early 90's, its an overpopulated market driven by money
Yeah, that conclusion can easily be drawn from my first post. Maybe if you read through it harder, you could see that.

I have to admit though, its alot easier on the ears than the early 90s junk
Again, you do realize that hip-hop started way earlier than the early 90's, right? The early 90's is when "gangsta-rap" began to become more mainstream and popular. You bringing Tupac into this conversation leads me to believe that you are either confusing the two, or simply lumping them together into 1 genre. While it may be easy to do that, believe me, they are not the same type of music.

I will not judge you for your musical preferences. You can like today's crap more than the old school if you want, it makes no difference to me whatsoever. However, old school hip-hop brought people together. If the music wasn't bringing social issues to the forefront, it was bringing people together for a good time. Hip-hop today (a very loose translation) rarely does antyhing of the sort. For that reason ALONE, the music is worthless to me.

But, if you're a "club rat", then I could see why it's appealing...LOL

BurghHardcore

Awards
  • Established
Our list is by all means not complete thats for sure :)
Heather B
Afu-Ra
Crooklyn Dodgers
THose just came to mind. I wish that type of music was playing loud and proud..

Keep em coming BurghHardcore

Oh.. I have alot of that stuff on my playlist on youtube which I believe is publicly shared.. Always good to listen to while I work.
MK9
Doug E. Fresh
Leaders of the New School
Marley Marl
Public Enemy
Brand Nubian
Big Daddy Kane
The Pharcyde
The Beatnuts

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The Lords of the Underground
The Artifacts
Abstract Rude
Souls of Mischief
Hieroglyphics, etc.,

There is hip-hop existent today that largely pays homage to the methods, techniques, and themes of this type of hip-hop - you just have to look for it. It is no longer "mainstream" and/or the 'dominant' form of hip-hop though.

BurghHardcore

Awards
  • Established
The Lords of the Underground
The Artifacts
Abstract Rude
Souls of Mischief
Hieroglyphics, etc.,

There is hip-hop existent today that largely pays homage to the methods, techniques, and themes of this type of hip-hop - you just have to look for it. It is no longer "mainstream" and/or the 'dominant' form of hip-hop though.
Nicely done w/ The Artifacts and TLUG. And you're exactly right w/ your post. It's still there, just gotta dig for it, b/c it's not going to come to you lol.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nicely done w/ The Artifacts and TLUG. And you're exactly right w/ your post. It's still there, just gotta dig for it, b/c it's not going to come to you lol.
Most of the stuff I gravitate toward stems from the mid-west: Ohio, Minnesota and Illinois. Rhymesayers, my favorite current label, has a wide-range of talent from these areas including the Micranots [founders], Atmosphere [founders], Eyedea and Abilities, Brother Ali, Blueprint and so on. There is very nice stuff coming out of Chicago including a cat named, "Diverse" who is absolutely amazing. Brooklyn/N.Y., is also making a comeback with quality hip-hop, w/ a few sick artists on Def Jux.

BurghHardcore

Awards
  • Established
Most of the stuff I gravitate toward stems from the mid-west: Ohio, Minnesota and Illinois. Rhymesayers, my favorite current label, has a wide-range of talent from these areas including the Micranots [founders], Atmosphere [founders], Eyedea and Abilities, Brother Ali, Blueprint and so on. There is very nice stuff coming out of Chicago including a cat named, "Diverse" who is absolutely amazing. Brooklyn/N.Y., is also making a comeback with quality hip-hop, w/ a few sick artists on Def Jux.

Good stuff Mullet, I'll have to check out some of that when I get home. I really like Atmosphere's stuff. Just about a week ago I borrowed a friend of mine's external hard drive and copied all of his music onto mine. I got about 30GB of music from him. He used to be a DJ here in Pittsburgh (still involved in the scene though) and I know he has a TON of stuff on there that will be good. I took a quick glance at it this weekend and while there is some familiar faces theres a lot of goodies that I've never heard.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Some other suggestions:

Mac Lethal
Illmaculate
Illogic
Dose One
Aceyalone
Aesop Rock
Cannibal Ox
Cage

That is who I am into right now.

purebred

-KRS One aka The Teacher...everyone in the game today needs to listen to this man
-EPMD
-De La Soul
-A Tribe Called Quest
-Rakim
-Mos Def
-Talib Kweli
-Nas
-9th Wonder
these people did/do hip hop. what's coming out on the radio now is a disgrace and anyone who calls it hip hop should be slapped as a warning and shot on the second offense. :afro:

what's coming out on the radio now is dance pop and wanna-be gangster rap.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
hip hop never lived...they took the brain of a schizo, and put it in a dead body that suffered from seizures, and gave it turrets. It was just the outcome of an ungodly abomination.

D3vildog

D3vildog

Awards
  • Established
When was hip hop alive?? its like one of those bacteria that slowly grew immune to antibiotics... and now its in a super-bacteria form... also known as Rap.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
When was hip hop alive?? its like one of those bacteria that slowly grew immune to antibiotics... and now its in a super-bacteria form... also known as Rap.
Rap ≠ Hip Hop.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
He dissed Nas saying he killed hip-hop rofl.....
Isnt that soulja boy? Irony being that a slang for souldier and the word boy placed beside a kid who is really only a boy.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
To each their own i guess, same pile for me.
Which is a statement I can understand if you are not familiar with the greater sub-culture; however, at least as I see it, there are subtle yet important distinctions between the two. I generally conceptualize "hip-hop" as being a cache of methods, techniques, sounds and lyrical-styling which is a contingent of a larger b-boy movement: something much more intrinsically expressive than, "rap". By and large, I consider "rap" to be commercialized technique over heavy sampling. Once you are acquainted with the historicity and people of these movements, they are as different as night and day.

D3vildog

D3vildog

Awards
  • Established
Which is a statement I can understand if you are not familiar with the greater sub-culture; however, at least as I see it, there are subtle yet important distinctions between the two. I generally conceptualize "hip-hop" as being a cache of methods, techniques, sounds and lyrical-styling which is a contingent of a larger b-boy movement: something much more intrinsically expressive than, "rap". By and large, I consider "rap" to be commercialized technique over heavy sampling. Once you are acquainted with the historicity and people of these movements, they are as different as night and day.
I put them in the same pile, because the music is no good to me. Doesn't motivate me, doesn't interest me. I know they are different, just don't care. The lyrics and the music has no effect on me and I would much rather listen to some Atreyu or Metallica.

AlbinoRhino44

AlbinoRhino44

Awards
is the OP from Pittsburg, and forgot to put the Roots on the list? Is that possible?
Nice running list other than that.

BurghHardcore

Awards
  • Established
Mullet....only you can put it so eloquently...I have agreed w/ you before, and I will have to agree with you again. I only wish that I could state it as phoeneticlaly gifted as you have. Damn you!!! :afro:

I put them in the same pile, because the music is no good to me. Doesn't motivate me, doesn't interest me. I know they are different, just don't care. The lyrics and the music has no effect on me and I would much rather listen to some Atreyu or Metallica.
Just b/c the music means nothing to you, or doesn't interest you, or is "no good" to you, doesn't mean you should lump it all in the same genre. At the root of it all, there truly is a HUGE difference. Just listen. To anyone that is really LISTENING, it's not hard to see the differences. If you don't like it, that's totally fine, I doubt you will find anyone here that is going to argue w/ you against that. To each his own. I'm not hating on your for it. Honestly though, your post really has nothing that contributes to the conversation that is taking place. If you would like to state your personal opinion as to why or why not hip-hop is in it's current state then please continue. I'm sure there are plently of others on this board who have no interest or care in hip-hop at all and have chosen to not comment b/c they see it as irrelevant.

is the OP from Pittsburg, and forgot to put the Roots on the list? Is that possible?
Nice running list other than that.
I'm not sure if the OP is from Pittsburgh, but I am. OF COURSE you can add to the list. And, IMO, the Roots are an excellent addition. Keep them coming.

Def. A Tribe called Quest.

Mos Def is really the only "newer" stuff I can listen too,..... Im not really in with the "club-bubblegum" rap that is prevalent now.

YouTube - Massive Attack feat. Mos Def - I Against I
Right on Nemesis. Tribe is GREAT. They are a "go to" for me when I need a little bit of flavor (I know how lame that sounds. Forgive me, Please LOL!)

Mos Def is tight though, his freestyles are top notch. He is one of the few that are old school, yet are main stream at the same time.

AnthonyIOSOS

AnthonyIOSOS

Awards
  • Established
I don't even know who that idiot is. Hip-Hop has been "dead" for years. Too many jerk offs running around with chains blingin'...and their teeth...talking about bullsh*t. I can't even stand to listen to it anymore. It's ashame what that music has become....sad really. It angers me to see younger people these days in clubs, on the street...anywhere really, seeing how this crap (along with MANY other factors) has helped turned the youth of this country into f*cking selfish, materialistic, idiotic, and oblivious morons. Seeing this new so-called "hip-hop culture" is one of the reasons I don't go to clubs, I tend to easily get into trouble at those types of places (and no, it has nothing to do w/ alcohol). I could go on and on and on and on about this....but I won't. I will really end up just getting irritated.

I don't even call it Hip-Hop anymore, b/c it's NOT. Stick w/ the old school and you'll never be disappointed.

-EPMD
-De La Soul
-A Tribe Called Quest
-Rakim
-Mos Def
-Talib Kweli
-Nas
-9th Wonder
I like your list. Few more...

-Wu-Tang Clan
-Slick Rick
-Jedi Mind Tricks
-Dead Prez
-J5

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
There I was, giggling about the games that I had played with many hearts, and I'm not saying no names. Then the thought occurred. Tear drops made my eyes burn, as I said to myself, "Look what you've done to her."

027531_9.jpg

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Some good, some bad... Even some of today's rap/hip-hop(commercialized and all) can still be good. To look down because it's main stream or found in a club just makes you sound like music elitist. Kind of reminds me of a guy who went off on me because I said i liked a group after hearing a song on the radio. Apparently, I don't have the right to like or dislike something unless I have a degree in it's history and know every group member.

I can hate Tribe Called Quest and still love Hip-Hop. I can love Tupac and still love Hip-Hop. Defining Hip-Hip is like trying to define Rock... there are so many variations within that it's really a waste of time and everyone has their own idea of what it should be. I can't stand Soldier Boy but there are many who like him. They can listen to his "yoooouuuuuuuu" and I can turn on Immortal Technique and enjoy my kind of music.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
So I take it you borrow your sister's pants as well? In all seriousness, I like hip-hop and quite a few sub-genres of metal - metalcore especially. (Just not 'punk-core' like Atreyu.) Question, though: if you dislike the genre, why come into a thread attending to it? If you are uninformed on the subject, I would assume nobody in this thread cares about your opinions thereof.

buuzer0

buuzer0

Awards
  • Established
So I take it you borrow your sister's pants as well? In all seriousness, I like hip-hop and quite a few sub-genres of metal - metalcore especially. (Just not 'punk-core' like Atreyu.) Question, though: if you dislike the genre, why come into a thread attending to it? If you are uninformed on the subject, I would assume nobody in this thread cares about your opinions thereof.
Hahaha, good one on the skinny jeans diss... but sadly it's invaded the hip-hop culture as well...f'ing hipsters!

D3vildog

D3vildog

Awards
  • Established
Uh? Personal attack over that? really?

Just like you have the option to post, so do i. Don't really care for your opinion of me or my opinions on the genre of music. I have listened to a large majority of both genres, and have yet to find anything I like, so i put them in the same pile. Just like i do with some genres of rock.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Uh? Personal attack over that? really?

Just like you have the option to post, so do i. Don't really care for your opinion of me or my opinions on the genre of music.
"So I take it you borrow your sister's pants as well? In all seriousness...". Which can be taken to mean, "The thing I just said before was joking, but let's be serious...".

I was joking and you are far too sensitive if you took that to be a, "personal attack".

D3vildog

D3vildog

Awards
  • Established
"So I take it you borrow your sister's pants as well? In all seriousness...". Which can be taken to mean, "The thing I just said before was joking, but let's be serious...".

I was joking and you are far too sensitive if you took that to be a, "personal attack".
Missed that part, I tend to skim through posts to start out like that to see if there is anything of value closer to the bottom. Sorry. I'll go wash the sand out of my vagina now.... :squint:

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Missed that part, I tend to skim through posts to start out like that to see if there is anything of value closer to the bottom. Sorry. I'll go wash the sand out of my vagina now.... :squint:
Make sure you use a sanitary douche! :18:

Definitely just messing around with you. I actually like Atreyu's The Curse.

D3vildog

D3vildog

Awards
  • Established
Make sure you use a sanitary douche! :18:

Definitely just messing around with you. I actually like Atreyu's The Curse.
Haha When in doubt "Douche it"

I really only like about 4 of their songs... their new **** sucks save for "When two are one" But Bleeding Mascara gets me moto every time. No clue why.

BTW - just asked my buddy if he knew any Hip hop / rap that was good and he told me to check "Jedi Mind tricks" - Which aren't bad. So i can prolly rescind my comments about all in the same pile now.... Ill be using extra douche tonight.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yep, Jedi Mind Tricks are pretty sick. I actually know a producer named "RDS" who made a track for Masta Ace.

purebred

A lesson can be learned from this situation so we can avoid receiving a burn notice response like the above LOL.

I make fun of people who look like they borrow theur sister's pants as well so you have officially made my 'good' list :18:

purebred

What about this character? He claims to be the best in the "hip hop game".

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
soulja boy doesn't even do hip hop. he does bubble gum hip pop so idk what all the controversy is about :laugh2:
Bingo. I would love to equalize that dirty little ****er.