Hip-Hop is dead

AnthonyIOSOS

AnthonyIOSOS

Awards
  • Established
What about this character? He claims to be the best in the "hip hop game".

I enjoyed Carter I and Carter II. All of his other music is garbage. I listen to everything from the old to the new. I can tell you for sure he is not the "best rapper alive".

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
I like alot of the popular hiphop, such as Rick Ross and Young Jeezy.

Good stuff.

buuzer0

buuzer0

Awards
  • Established
Rick Ross gets a lot of flack (especially recently for not being "real" as he apparently worked as a Correctional Officer at some point), but I enjoy his music too. The guy knows how to pick good beats for his albums and has a decent flow. Good stuff to ride or lift to.

Push it to the limit!

purebred

I like alot of the popular hiphop, such as Rick Ross and Young Jeezy.

Good stuff.
People like them claim to do hip hop but i feel they're miscategorized. Rick ross is a pie. He gets tried and shown up by trick daddy on an almost daily basis. He's a hippo w/ a beard LOL

He talks a good 1 tho but I doubt he's done 10% of what he raps about (the case with most rappers)

Just sayin :)

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
People like them claim to do hip hop but i feel they're miscategorized. Rick ross is a pie. He gets tried and shown up by trick daddy on an almost daily basis. He's a hippo w/ a beard LOL

He talks a good 1 tho but I doubt he's done 10% of what he raps about (the case with most rappers)

LOL A hippo with a beard. You got that right :D

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
Hip Hop dead? I dunno. When it all started in the late 70's and yearly 80's it certainly was alot different, but if you look at 60's and 70's....hell even 80's rock there really is no one playing music like that anymore. As i see it music, just like everything else has to change and evolve to some degree. If you like the old stuff, stick with it, if you like the new stuff stick with it. I listen to Slick Rick, Too Short, KRS-1 but can also listen to Eminem, Jay-Z. I prefer to listen to rap where the lyrics actully say something, anyone can sample a good beat that they didn't write but someone who can write good lyrics to it might just have a bit of talent. sure the airwaves are full of crap, there must be a million song about what kind of shoes someone is wearing, what kind of car their driving and so on.....I'm glad your from ATL., i'm glad your wearing nike's and riding on 24's......got anything else to say? cause if thats it, i'm changing the station. now who can deny that money is behind all of this, that's why the true talent (most of it,imo) is underground read back through this thread, there's some good talent named here. take the time to look up these artists, then take the time to hook it up......check out a couple of tracks.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established

It's anybody's guess really. He does talk about being with Boobie Boys and Kenneth Williams which was a real criminal element in Miami but nobody knows for sure.

I do enjoy all kinds of hiphop, my favorite of course being Wu tang clan :D I've heard all the anticon, def jux, mr lif, alot of underground stuff. It just isn't my style I guess.

I do agree the whole money cars hos and clothes gets redudant after a while, but as long as you take it for what it is "just music" and not try to live out the pipe dream, you'll be all set.

Rick Ross' new album "Deeper than Rap" is one of the best rap albums I've heard in a long time... but something like Three 6 mafia, I can't get into anymore. I suppose music is very subjective and my tastes, at least, are constantly changing.

I suppose if you want to get philosophical hiphop is about expressing "your struggle", whether that be Canibus rapping about being in the army and very lyrical, others about crime and vice, or someone like Sage Francis who is true to himself. So to label something "dead" I think is very inaccurate.

When NWA was in their prime, you had artists like Vanilla Ice. To judge the whole industry based on a group of artists is like saying television is dead because of the influx of reality shows, when truthfully there's a plethora of good television on channels such as discovery and nat geo. ok bad example, but you know what i'm saying. :D

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Hip Hop dead? I dunno. When it all started in the late 70's and yearly 80's it certainly was alot different, but if you look at 60's and 70's....hell even 80's rock there really is no one playing music like that anymore. As i see it music, just like everything else has to change and evolve to some degree. If you like the old stuff, stick with it, if you like the new stuff stick with it. I listen to Slick Rick, Too Short, KRS-1 but can also listen to Eminem, Jay-Z. I prefer to listen to rap where the lyrics actully say something, anyone can sample a good beat that they didn't write but someone who can write good lyrics to it might just have a bit of talent. sure the airwaves are full of crap, there must be a million song about what kind of shoes someone is wearing, what kind of car their driving and so on.....I'm glad your from ATL., i'm glad your wearing nike's and riding on 24's......got anything else to say? cause if thats it, i'm changing the station. now who can deny that money is behind all of this, that's why the true talent (most of it,imo) is underground read back through this thread, there's some good talent named here. take the time to look up these artists, then take the time to hook it up......check out a couple of tracks.
I agree with what your saying, but alot of people can relate to the nike's and the 24's... just go to any inner city and look at what the kids are wearing and what they're driving. Music is totally subjective and depends on you as an individual and what floats your boat. Good point about changing the station...that's all you gotta do. :D

purebred

It's anybody's guess really. He does talk about being with Boobie Boys and Kenneth Williams which was a real criminal element in Miami but nobody knows for sure.
Well, when he first came out he was repping "CCC" aka Triple C's. He claimed it stood for Carol City Crips. The real Crips in Miami got on him for saying that so alluva sudden "CCC" was now Carol City Click/Carol City Cartel.

IDK. I don't care. He's another low-life rapping about what he doesn't even do anymore. A large portion of these rappers get out of the hood but can't get the hood out of them and you see them getting arrested w/gun charges and drug charges and all sorts of other stupid things. You're telling me you have nothing better to do w/ ALL THAT MONEY but blow it on an ounce of weed?

Whatever. I didn't make his money so I won't tell him how to spend it. :laugh2: I'm probably just being judgmental. I don't care for the guy. He does what he does. I'm gonna do what I do and I'm not mad at him. I think we should just run 'checks' on people to see if what they're talking is true or not. A lot of rappers would be put out of business if we started doing that :) I'm just tired of all the yip-yappin these folks do.

I want proof.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
A lot of rappers would be put out of business if we started doing that.
Unfortunately, I don't think that's true. Little white kids will still love hearing about :bling: and guns, whether the tale is true or not. :(

purebred

Unfortunately, I don't think that's true. Little white kids will still love hearing about :bling: and guns, whether the tale is true or not. :(
Damn you. Always raining on my parade. I suppose I'll rephrase: if the "game" was based on authenticity and truth, a lot of these macacas would be unemployed/illegitimately employed.:18:

AnthonyIOSOS

AnthonyIOSOS

Awards
  • Established
I suppose if you want to get philosophical hiphop is about expressing "your struggle", whether that be Canibus rapping about being in the army and very lyrical, others about crime and vice, or someone like Sage Francis who is true to himself. So to label something "dead" I think is very inaccurate.
I saw Sage Francis in concert at Rock The Bells Festival. Sage Francis was by far one of the best acts. That guy really gets into his music.

I also love Wu-Tang Clan.

I noticed nobody has mentioned the Fugees! One of the best groups in my book.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
Call me a pessimist but i see a watering down of human values across the board in alot of areas. Its not to say those of value do not out weight people who live small minded and shallow with no true morals or values, but in the media in general there seems to be alot of hollow thinking.
The news stories on t.v are of such poor substance at times that i wonder if i am being dumbed down or if that is what the already dumbed down masses want?

Talk about anything as long as its real and there are some human emotion, reality based story or some value to it. All this talk for the sake of talking, noise instead of silence and putting words beside words that rhyme for no other reason is pointless. If you want that then give your brain to someone who plans on thinking or atleast enjoying the relaxation aspect of real music with soothing intent.

This whole "noise" era where there is no objective is the result of talking and talking until there is nothing left to say and then thinking of words to fill the silence.

Im going to go out on a limb about this point. Milkey cyrus's song "the climb" atleast it has a intelligent wise message that talks about something bigger, valuable and truthful than "money for my honey, dumby better not look at me funny or ill shoot somebody..." kinda word vomitting.
I dont care if she didnt write it, i dont care who writes what a good song you didnt write is like a good movie you acted in you didnt write either. Kudos to those who write, sing and play an instrument of their own creation.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
I saw Sage Francis in concert at Rock The Bells Festival. Sage Francis was by far one of the best acts. That guy really gets into his music.

I also love Wu-Tang Clan.

I noticed nobody has mentioned the Fugees! One of the best groups in my book.
Sage Francis better than wu tang?
Blasphemy! :D

AnthonyIOSOS

AnthonyIOSOS

Awards
  • Established
Sage Francis better than wu tang?
Blasphemy! :D
I said he was the best act at Rock The Bells Festival. I like Wu-Tang Clan a lot more than Sage Francis; sometimes live performances do not go as well. Both are excellent in my book.

JW32Hoops

JW32Hoops

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I said he was the best act at Rock The Bells Festival. I like Wu-Tang Clan a lot more than Sage Francis; sometimes live performances do not go as well. Both are excellent in my book.
I hit the Rock The Bells tour in NYC like 2 years ago, it was awesome. Lineup was:

Talib Kweli
Mos Def
Rakim
Public Enemy
Cypress Hill
Wu-Tang
Rage Against The Machine

It was an awesome show...the energy built more and more with each act.

Anyhoo, I suppose it's all subjective, but Gangstarr is awesome. If you've got a problem with Guru and Premier then you've got a problem with yourself. :wall:

AlbinoRhino44

AlbinoRhino44

Awards
Gangstarr rocks. guru has been spitting for so long, his style is the father of all these baby ass wannabes. they dont even compare.

BurghHardcore

Awards
  • Established
Gangstarr rocks. guru has been spitting for so long, his style is the father of all these baby ass wannabes. they dont even compare.
For I be speaking from my parables and carry you beyond
The mic's either a magic wand
Or it gets tragic like the havoc of a nuclear bomb
Then I grab your palm, no pulse you're gone
And if you thought we'd lose our niche in this rap **** you way wrong
I stay up, I stay on, shine bright, like neon
Your song's, pathetic, synthetic, like Rayon
Fat beats, they play on, want dope rhymes, put me on
Word is bond... you know my steez

RIGHT THE PH*CK ON

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
Heard this on one of my old CD's I found earlier today,... its been a long time since I have heard this song.....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lBsZj1mhw8"]YouTube - Dj Kool - Let Me Clear My Throat[/ame]

AnthonyIOSOS

AnthonyIOSOS

Awards
  • Established
That is a classic. I used to love listening to that song with my cousins. These days all the cheerleaders are dancing to it.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ganstarr "Guru" was monotonous to me. There were several rappers who played that "Nice and Smooth" role and I just didn't like it. Don't like Wu-Tang either... as a whole. I like Redman and Methodman but ODB ruined anything for me.

JW32Hoops

JW32Hoops

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Ganstarr "Guru" was monotonous to me. There were several rappers who played that "Nice and Smooth" role and I just didn't like it. Don't like Wu-Tang either... as a whole. I like Redman and Methodman but ODB ruined anything for me.
Your head'll bop when I drop my crop
of pure bomb, just like the seashore I'm calm
But wild, with my monotone style
Because I don't need gimmicks
Gimme a fly beat and I'm all in it

http://www.lyricsdownload.com/gangstarr-mass-appeal-lyrics.html

I whole heartedely disagree with your opinion of Wu-Tang, but to each their own. :dunno:

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Most people do so it's nothing new. Almost got into a fight because I said I didn't like Dirt McGirt when I was like 19-20 lol.

Beasty Boys
Afrika Bambaataa
Doug E Fresh
Run D.M.C.
BDP
Public Enemy
Busta Rhymes
Cypress Hill

Just a very short list of who I liked back then in the world of Hip Hop.

JW32Hoops

JW32Hoops

Banned
Awards
  • Established
ODB is probably my favorite Wu-Tang member, haha. When he died, I came home from work to find my wife (girlfriend at the time) building a shrine in our apartment, complete with pictures, candles and even a fake voodoo lookin doll...all while listening to Return to the 36 Chambers: The Dirty Version. That's the moment I knew I was gonna marry her. :love:

Dig that ^^^ list though...can't hate on that in the least. R.I.P. DJ Scott LaRock

AnthonyIOSOS

AnthonyIOSOS

Awards
  • Established
ODB is probably my favorite Wu-Tang member, haha. When he died, I came home from work to find my wife (girlfriend at the time) building a shrine in our apartment, complete with pictures, candles and even a fake voodoo lookin doll...all while listening to Return to the 36 Chambers: The Dirty Version. That's the moment I knew I was gonna marry her. :love:

Dig that ^^^ list though...can't hate on that in the least. R.I.P. DJ Scott LaRock
That is pretty cool. I honestly like ODB the least. I am more of the GZA/RZA fan.

NFLforNBA

NFLforNBA

Awards
"When a fake ass Bitch named little wayne appears it will be when hip-hop dies"

-Jesus
verse 38-5

BurghHardcore

Awards
  • Established
That is pretty cool. I honestly like ODB the least. I am more of the GZA/RZA fan.
Liquid Swords by Gza is one of my favorite albums ever. A few years back I had my CD case stolen from my car, with over 200 CD's (liquid swords included) I sort of gave up on rebuilding it. Just about 3 months ago I was in a "CD Exchange" type place, saw that album and bought it. I bumped that ish HARD for about two weeks nonstop lol. While I Listen to rock most of the time, my one friend looked absolutely shocked when I pulled into his driveway to pick him up and was blaring "Duel of the Iron Mic" from that album. Damn...I'm listening to some of that when I get home!

The Intro to the song "Liquid Swords" is one of my favorite songs intros ever:
When I was little... my father was famous.
He was the greatest sam-urai in the empire;
and he was the Shogun's decapitator.
He cut off the heads of a hundred and thirty-one lords.
It was a bad time for the empire.
The Shogun just stayed inside his castle -- and he never came out.
People said his brain was infected by DEVILS.
My father would come home -- he would forget about the killings.
He wasn't scared of the Shogun, but the Shogun was scared of him.
Maybe that was the problem.
Then, one night... the Shogun sent his ninja spies to our house.
They were supposed to kill my father... but they didn't.
*woman screams*
That was the night everything changed *voice fades*

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established

Released in 08 - and your saying hiphop is dead!! AHHH!!!

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
I could do this all day...

May 2009!!!!

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
No offence but i think that stuff is weak because they are still talking about clothes, weed, girls and ego bravado. I used to love tonnes of hip hop but have grown tired of the redundancy and lack of message.

Iron Lungz

Iron Lungz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Damn... Hip Hop is far from dead. Most of the great MC's are pure underground now. All this Lil' Wayne verbal sh*t makes me sick as f*ck. There's a lot of garbage out right now, which is shoveled like dung by MTV and local radio stations.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
No offence but i think that stuff is weak because they are still talking about clothes, weed, girls and ego bravado. I used to love tonnes of hip hop but have grown tired of the redundancy and lack of message.
Maybe the method man, but the gza doesn't...

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
Yeah gza is better IMO. Ive been leaning away from rap and hip hop lately maybe im getting old.. lol. There is still the odd song i like. I like T.I and hes got flow and a good message on some tracks. I dont own any of his albums tho just a few songs on the Ipod.

BurghHardcore

Awards
  • Established
Renegade, you like the Gravediggaz?

Yeah gza is better IMO. Ive been leaning away from rap and hip hop lately maybe im getting old.. lol. There is still the odd song i like. I like T.I and hes got flow and a good message on some tracks. I dont own any of his albums tho just a few songs on the Ipod.
Oddly enough T.I. doesn't bother me much. I mean, I don't think he's great, but a few of his tunes I like.

BurghHardcore

Awards
  • Established
Yes sir, agree totally. 6 Feet deep was very bad ass. The pick, the Sickle and the Shovel had it's great moments, but like you said, just wasn't as solid overall.

GuyverX

GuyverX

Awards
  • Established
I do miss the consciousness lyrics that were put out by the old crew.
I cannot bash on the newer music because theirs is a totally different purpose.
Although I do prefer techno/electronica and industrial to dance to.

The newer labeled hip hop I use to keep me awake and focused at my desk job.
If I listen to old school stuff there I'd end up thinking... lolz

BurghHardcore

Awards
  • Established
Those videos are crazy! Something I will definetely have to look into. Then again, I'm a conspiracy theorist, so this type of stuff is always fun to check out.

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
with all this talk of new vs. older hip hop artists, no on e has mentioned eminem. sound off.........

BurghHardcore

Awards
  • Established
with all this talk of new vs. older hip hop artists, no on e has mentioned eminem. sound off.........
That's a huge bag that's yet to be opened....I've got a couple vodka and tonics in me right now. I'm going to hold off until at least tomorrow before I even attempt to comment. Just a quick note....listen to some of Eminem's underground freestyle battles (can't recall right now who they are against)....100x better than the stuff he puts out on albums. The only reason I can't hate on the guy is b/c of these freestyles. They are good.