Flickering vision

spiro

Awards
I'm interested if what I have is normal and if others also have it.
I cannot say if I constantly have it, but I first noticed it many years ago that my vision flickers. I especially notice it when I look at straight objects and then I can see that the picture flickers. It's like sitting in a bus and the vibration of the engine makes everything flicker a bit.
Back then I went to a neurologist and he did different vision tests and found nothing and after that the thing was settled for me but a few weeks ago I noticed it again that my vision flickers a lot. It's not only in the center of the view but also at the sides.
Any ideas what might cause this flickering and if it's normal?
I don't have low blood sugar or things like that.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
I could be completely wrong, but maybe you just have a case of dry eyes which would cause you to blink more frequently. Have you been to a opthamologist?

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Sometimes for me the image becomes a bit shaky. Like as if it had a slight vibration to it. It kinda would sound like flicker, but to me flicker is a candle going out, yet fighting to stay lit.

I have normally bad eyes though 20/250 or something. I always figured it was the glasses causing my eyes to stress, and now that I use contacts I blink so much that I wouldnt know lol.

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
I'm interested if what I have is normal and if others also have it.
I cannot say if I constantly have it, but I first noticed it many years ago that my vision flickers. I especially notice it when I look at straight objects and then I can see that the picture flickers. It's like sitting in a bus and the vibration of the engine makes everything flicker a bit.
Back then I went to a neurologist and he did different vision tests and found nothing and after that the thing was settled for me but a few weeks ago I noticed it again that my vision flickers a lot. It's not only in the center of the view but also at the sides.
Any ideas what might cause this flickering and if it's normal?
I don't have low blood sugar or things like that.
I get something similar, every few weeks or so I get an episode were out of no where, not situation dependant, I can feel this rush come over me and the whole world around me shakes like in the Butterfly Effect movie. It can last 10-20+sec, then everything goes back to normal. It used to scare me, but now I know just to remain calm and it will pass.

spiro

Awards
I've been to an ophtamologist many times because my eyes also get worse all the time when i have to work a lot on the computer or read many books. I complained about this to him and told him that my vision gets worse all the time but he just told me that working on the computer cannot make your eyes worse. but i notice they are getting worse.

Sometimes at night when I have to get up and go to the bathroom I feel like it's especially strong and everything flickers. It's like watching TV and an old TV where the whole picture oscillates. Kinda hard to describe how it looks like.

Sometimes when I close my eyes I also see rings which start off far away and then come closer and become smaller the closer they get. But this is only seldom.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
I've been to an ophtamologist many times because my eyes also get worse all the time when i have to work a lot on the computer or read many books. I complained about this to him and told him that my vision gets worse all the time but he just told me that working on the computer cannot make your eyes worse. but i notice they are getting worse.

Sometimes at night when I have to get up and go to the bathroom I feel like it's especially strong and everything flickers. It's like watching TV and an old TV where the whole picture oscillates. Kinda hard to describe how it looks like.

Sometimes when I close my eyes I also see rings which start off far away and then come closer and become smaller the closer they get. But this is only seldom.
Staring at a bright screen of artificial light that is at a set distance near your face that constantly flickers(at a refresh of 60fps you cant tell, but on a video corder you always see the scree refreshing) non stop for long periods of time wont cause damage???

You need a new eye doctor. Our eyes were not meant for the stressors we put them through today.

spiro

Awards
Staring at a bright screen of artificial light that is at a set distance near your face that constantly flickers(at a refresh of 60fps you cant tell, but on a video corder you always see the scree refreshing) non stop for long periods of time wont cause damage???

You need a new eye doctor. Our eyes were not meant for the stressors we put them through today.
Yeah, that is also what I think. I mean I'm not stupid. I can very well tell if my eyesight gets worse after having to work a lot on the computer or having to read a lot. I even bought one of those natural light lamps and thought they would help. The first few days it felt good but then my eyes also responded negatively to it. It's really not funny because when I have to read crappy books at night and use a lamp then it's like my eyesight gets worse so fast that I can tell a difference from one day to the other.

The doctor who I've been to is a professor. But even if he's considered good at what he does doesn't change that my eyes do get worse.

My father also has eye problems. His eyes have been checked and they found nothing but at the same time his eyesight is getting worse and not even getting better glasses solves this issue. He only reaches 60% eyesight and better glasses don't change it. Usually one should always be able to get 100% and if you don't reach them then you get new glasses and then you have 100% again but in my father's case it doesn't work. This means it has to be something with the eyes or with the brain. He got an MRI which showed nothing and now the professor is basically clueless why he only has 60%. Pretty stupid when not even the doctors can tell you what's wrong.

Caferacer

Caferacer

Awards
  • Established
Hmm, it's interesting to note that our eyes flicker back and forth naturally while looking at a stationary object. Without slight side to side flickers the image would fade and we would be blind until we moved our eyes again. I don't think you should be aware of it though *scratches head*

Oh, and also our brains temporarily blind us when our eyes move from one position to another. Move your eyes from left to right quickly and although you see from both end positions you don't really remember seeing the majority of the transition.

Weird eh?

spiro

Awards
I also have this. When I just stare at something and then stop blinking then the vision fades and everything becomes unclear until I blink again. Is this normal?

I also have other things which are kind of strange. For example when I close one eye and keep it closed by putting my finger on the eyelid and then try to look using only 1 eye then it doesn't take long and I start seeing things on the other eye. The vision is simply not clear. This only happens when I try using only 1 eye while having the other one closed.

Or what's also strange is that when I'm in a room which is dark but not totally dark then often this flickering looks like a stroboscope light which they have in discos only not as bright. I'm somewhat afraid that no doctor will take such symptoms seriously. He will think I'm a nutcase and imagine this.

Caferacer

Caferacer

Awards
  • Established
I also have this. When I just stare at something and then stop blinking then the vision fades and everything becomes unclear until I blink again. Is this normal?

I also have other things which are kind of strange. For example when I close one eye and keep it closed by putting my finger on the eyelid and then try to look using only 1 eye then it doesn't take long and I start seeing things on the other eye. The vision is simply not clear. This only happens when I try using only 1 eye while having the other one closed.

Or what's also strange is that when I'm in a room which is dark but not totally dark then often this flickering looks like a stroboscope light which they have in discos only not as bright. I'm somewhat afraid that no doctor will take such symptoms seriously. He will think I'm a nutcase and imagine this.
Both cases you stated are natural. After covering one eye your body disregards the input from the other, until a certain point where it incorporates it; which is why your vision would fade to black as the input from both eyes are mixed.

The second case is also natural and speaks to the processing time which it takes for eyes in the dark, which is less than 60 times per second. Your eyes are just rapidly switching between an eye that is accustomed to the dark (which can see) and one that is not (which sees black). This is why there is a flickering.

spiro

Awards
Both cases you stated are natural. After covering one eye your body disregards the input from the other, until a certain point where it incorporates it; which is why your vision would fade to black as the input from both eyes are mixed.

The second case is also natural and speaks to the processing time which it takes for eyes in the dark, which is less than 60 times per second. Your eyes are just rapidly switching between an eye that is accustomed to the dark (which can see) and one that is not (which sees black). This is why there is a flickering.
Thanks! Then at least those 2 things are normal. :)