Pylonidal Cyst

Fear

Fear

Awards
Has anyone here ever had it? I just had mine drained out today after it became incredibly sore, red, and big. I can barely walk or sit down, so I'm wondering what are the possible effects of this on weightlifting in the coming weeks...

Grassroots082

Grassroots082

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
My dad had surgery for that, actually kept him from going to Nam. Spent awhile laid up in the hospital, probably not what you wanted to hear but that was along time ago I'm sure improvements have been made since then. Get well soon.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
When you say drained are you referring to having it incised? If so, how large of an incision, what antibiotics are you on? It's a pain in the ass literally I know. I've treated many a Marine for it. If the incision didn't need to be made too large, then it shouldn't hold you up that long. Certain things like running, squatting, etc will prolly be the last type of exercises you do, but you can do other things in the mean time. For you pain will be the greatest indicator for what you are ready for. Be sure to take all of your antibiotics and keep it clean. The worst one I saw kept a Marine from training for 3 weeks, but I could put my fist in his. On average it shouldn't be that long.

Fear

Fear

Awards
When you say drained are you referring to having it incised? If so, how large of an incision, what antibiotics are you on? It's a pain in the ass literally I know. I've treated many a Marine for it. If the incision didn't need to be made too large, then it shouldn't hold you up that long. Certain things like running, squatting, etc will prolly be the last type of exercises you do, but you can do other things in the mean time. For you pain will be the greatest indicator for what you are ready for. Be sure to take all of your antibiotics and keep it clean. The worst one I saw kept a Marine from training for 3 weeks, but I could put my fist in his. On average it shouldn't be that long.
Wow, that's F&CKING huge! I only had mine drained out. It flared up really badly this weekend, probably from the area getting infected lately. Right now I just need to let it heal and hope for the best. The doc said there was a 50-50 chance that it will come back in a few months, in which case surgery might be the best option before it flares up again. I'm taking DORYX (doxycycline hyclate) Delayed release tablets. One pill a day for a week.

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
i had one of these this summer. it put me off lifting for 6 weeks, but i had 2 surgeries. I did not get anything but Percocet, which not lifting and taking ate away muscle (bad diet during this time didnt help) I had to do light exercises i could perform standing. lots of cable stuff. it was hell. sorry you have to go through this, good luck

dpfisher

It sucks and it hurts to sit. They also only gave me 20 minimum strength vicoden knockoffs then yelled at me when I called back a week and a half later to ask for more (which they told me to do) "YOU CAN ONLY TAKE 6 A DAY YOU'RE AN ADDICT." If you do the math, that's 2 a day I was taking.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Wow, that's F&CKING huge! I only had mine drained out. It flared up really badly this weekend, probably from the area getting infected lately. Right now I just need to let it heal and hope for the best. The doc said there was a 50-50 chance that it will come back in a few months, in which case surgery might be the best option before it flares up again. I'm taking DORYX (doxycycline hyclate) Delayed release tablets. One pill a day for a week.
Doxy? Valid antibiotic, but I would have gone a bit more aggressive with the antibiotic, but that has to do mostly with me being military and we tend to do that for a multitude of reason to include to prevent loss of productivity. Just be sure you take ALL of your antibiotics, keep the area clean and use hot compresses. Take a wash cloth and microwave it. This will help it come to a head (to the surface like a white head sort of). The idea is to bring it to the surface out of the body not deeper in and also makes for lancing and draining it easier. As well, if it does need to be excised it won't be so bad.

If it does get excised it will need to be redressed with packing twice a day. It's not fun, but I'll shut up now, I don't want to sound neg and scary ya.

Best of luck man

Fear

Fear

Awards
Doxy? Valid antibiotic, but I would have gone a bit more aggressive with the antibiotic, but that has to do mostly with me being military and we tend to do that for a multitude of reason to include to prevent loss of productivity. Just be sure you take ALL of your antibiotics, keep the area clean and use hot compresses. Take a wash cloth and microwave it. This will help it come to a head (to the surface like a white head sort of). The idea is to bring it to the surface out of the body not deeper in and also makes for lancing and draining it easier. As well, if it does need to be excised it won't be so bad.

If it does get excised it will need to be redressed with packing twice a day. It's not fun, but I'll shut up now, I don't want to sound neg and scary ya.

Best of luck man
You sound informative, not negative, I appreciate it. I just took the antibiotics the doc gave me without asking questions. The pain has come to a minimum a few hours after the drainage, so I'm thinking about hitting the gym again today or tomorrow, with extra care of course. I just hope it doesn't re-occur to the point where I actually need surgery... I've heard some scary stuff. Thanks for the help though.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You bet, any questions just ask. Like I said, I've taken care a few of these before.

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
Make sure you change the packing often, keep it clean. that helps with healing and cuts down on pain. I used saline to wet the packing first before so it was less painful to pack. but I had an abscess and i had to get 2 surgeries yours sounds a little better than mine. good luck!

witt51

witt51

Awards
  • Established
i had that surgery. i was 18 and didnt lift though. i had to have surgery removed mine. it was a "hair ball" about the size of a golf ball, but mine didnt hurt though when i found it. i was on tylenol 3 and that didnt really help too much. good luck man.