Passed out while Shoulder Pressing!...

edwardyi

edwardyi

Awards
So yesterday, I was doing a shoulder workout routine. My friend was spotting me on seated dumbell shoulder press. I usually take 3 - 4 huge breaths before I lift, but for some reason, I hyper ventilated before pressing. I usually take deep breaths and listen to hardcore rock music to get amped up.

So I was planning to do 6 reps of 90lb dumbell press, and right when I threw my dumbells up onto my shoulders and started pressing it, I fainted. Apparently, my friend said I was going half way up, and the dumbell slowly came down and it dropped on the side of my head and fell on my quads!!!

I don't remember this, or feel any pain at the moment. I am scared though and lesson learned. Breathing is VERY essential in weight lifting and shouldn't be taken for granted lol.

Hank Vangut

Hank Vangut

Awards
  • Established
that doesn't sound good. and can be extremely dangerous.
it takes around 2 minutes of oxygen deprivation to pass out.
do you have high blood pressure? it might not be lack of oxygen but the sudden spike in bp causing it.
i would get checked out by a doc.

dg806

dg806

Enologist/Brewmaster/Damn good guy
Awards
  • Established
Agree, passing out from deep breathing would be very hard if not immpossible to do.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Possible syncope, which is when the blood flow rushes from your head. The sudden decrease in cranial blood pressure can cause a person to faint or pass out. This is in effect the same as when you stand up to fast and get dizzy.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
I did it squatting one time, that was the only time it ever happened. Weird, like a black out but everything went white instead and I just zoned out my partner said like I was day dreaming or something. The trainer actually called it a 'white out' but it only happened that one time when I was about 14 or 15, never again since then. I chipped my tooth a little when I lost the weight and felt the fragments on my tongue after I got up. lol

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
Ive gotten sick, thrown up, gotten dizzy, or laid on the ground immediately after a set, infinite amount of times. But fainting during a set,.... thats plain scary dude. Hope you are alright, and hope it never happens again. If it does, deff go get it checked out. Ive been a "heavy breather" for a couple years now, and I think its the best way for me to w/o.