Excel Experts, I need some help (Dependent, Dynamic Validations/Lists)

papapumpsd

papapumpsd

Awards
  • Established
I'm working on a project here at work and have come to a slight roadblock.

Here's what I'm trying to do:
I have three categories (lists): Industry, Market, Line Item. The Industry list is comprised of only two items: Medical Device, Pharmaceutical.

The Market cell is dependent on what was chosen for the Industry cell. If the user selected Industry: Medical Device, here are the options that would show up in the Market cell/drop-down:

Diagnostics
Drug Delivery & Infusion
In Hospital (Medi-Plus)
Implants
Laboratory
O.R. Supplies
Miscellaneous
Surgical
Wound Care Management

Now, if the user selected Diagnostics for the Market drop-down, then in the third cell (which is dependent upon what was selected in the Market cell) would show the following options in the Line Item drop-down:

Amplification
Assay Plate
Diagnostic - Kit/Device
Electrophoresis
Miscellaneous - Diagnostics
Point-of-care In Vitro
Strip Reader
Test Kit
Test Strip

I can use the INDIRECT function when using two lists, but I'm not really familiar how to make this jive with three lists.

Can anyone lend a hand?!

I can attached a spreadsheet if needed.

Thanks!

-Papa!-

dpfisher

Are you using .NET for Applications or just the builtin functions? Being able to write your own little functions really speeds things up, if you don't mind dealing with issuing security certificates.

papapumpsd

papapumpsd

Awards
  • Established
Are you using .NET for Applications or just the builtin functions? Being able to write your own little functions really speeds things up, if you don't mind dealing with issuing security certificates.
Nope, not using .NET. That's way beyond me! I just use Excel and the internal fxns and I write any equations I need that will automate things (like VLOOKUP for example). Nothing real fancy.