1st time skydive!

mattikus

mattikus

Awards
  • Established
All I can say is WOW. Incredible rush.
Went skydiving for the first time last weekend. I am so glad I did. It was a little nerve racking at moments, but more exciting than scary.

The hardest part of the whole thing was when moving to the door of the plane to jump out. I was freaking out on the inside and trying not to show it lol.
I have been "high" ever since. If anybody is thinking about maybe doing it, just do it. You will not regret it. I definitely will be doing it again.

Iron Lungz

Iron Lungz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'm glad you enjoyed it!
I take it you were piggy-backing?

The feeling never goes way from jump to jump - that's why it's so addicting.
:D

mattikus

mattikus

Awards
  • Established
Yeah it was a tandem jump. I guess here in NY you have to jump 10 times before being able to go solo, and they have to be within a certain time frame. So I will have to do ten jumps next year to get to that point. It's getting a little cold now.

I can totally see how this could become an addiction for me.

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
What does it feel like to land? I think it would be fun but scary at the same time. However I worry about breaking parts on the landing.

Palo Alto Labs

Palo Alto Labs

Dave
Awards
  • Established
What does it feel like to land? I think it would be fun but scary at the same time. However I worry about breaking parts on the landing.
when i jumped... they told me to put my legs forward... my tandem partner absorbed the inpact then i dropped my legs to help run and stabilize us and slow down.

some instructors do the ass slide where both put legs up and just slide to a stop.

it was the absolute coolest thing ive ever done. after you pull the ripcord, its this peaceful sensation of standing on the world (bc you cant really see the parachute and nothing is beneath you).

the best way to truly describe the rush is to imagine an orgasm that peaked for 5 minutes and lasted for 5 hours afterwards. its intense.

cost me a little under $200 i think. florida is usually cheaper bc its more of a mainstream hobby down here. the place i jumped, they had 20 people in the plane on each run, and they made 4-5 runs an hour. non-stop.

joeymutz

joeymutz

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
skydiving is the best high i have ever had. I felt a bond with teh guy I was piggy backed to after. I will definitly go again. I may try to get my ten jumps in so i can jump by myself but that will run over $1000. The cool thing about that though is once your are certified to jump alone and you own your own parachute all you have to pay is about $20 anytime you want to jump.

mattikus

mattikus

Awards
  • Established
Landing was alot easier than I thought. It looks like you're comin' in pretty fast but the instructor put on the "brakes" right before touchdown. Cost me 200 bones to jump, and then another 130 to pay a guy to jump at the same time and film it. What was really cool about that was while freefalling, he flies toward you and you link up and just spin around. Amazing.
Totally worth it. And to any first timers, definitely get the video. You will want it.

flobot

flobot

Awards
  • Established
The fact that you even had the guts to jump out of a plane is a major accomplishment. I've always wanted to become a paratrooper when I was in service but I couldn't because I'm afraid of heights; even jumping off a platform scares me lol.

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
Congrats on the jump. Major props. When your up there at 14.5 looking down, its awesome. (I think at 12.5 your supposed to have O2). Air was getting thin fo sho.

I have made 2 tandem jumps and 1 solo jump........

The first jump was sick. Nothing like it in the world. Nothing. The solo was a very close second.

Damn I want to jump again.........

Adrenaline junkie..........

mattikus

mattikus

Awards
  • Established
The fact that you even had the guts to jump out of a plane is a major accomplishment. I've always wanted to become a paratrooper when I was in service but I couldn't because I'm afraid of heights; even jumping off a platform scares me lol.
One thing that made me laugh a bit was they make you cross your arms over your chest when jumping out of the plane. I understood why because it is just instinct to try and grab hold of something or be like a cat going into a bathtub..
Congrats on the jump. Major props. When your up there at 14.5 looking down, its awesome. (I think at 12.5 your supposed to have O2). Air was getting thin fo sho.

I have made 2 tandem jumps and 1 solo jump........

The first jump was sick. Nothing like it in the world. Nothing. The solo was a very close second.

Damn I want to jump again.........

Adrenaline junkie..........
Solo would be a bit of a new thrill for sure. Out of all the first time jumpers I went with, I was the only one that remembered to pull the cord when we hit 5,000 ft. Nervous lol..

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
One thing that made me laugh a bit was they make you cross your arms over your chest when jumping out of the plane. I understood why because it is just instinct to try and grab hold of something or be like a cat going into a bathtub..
Solo would be a bit of a new thrill for sure. Out of all the first time jumpers I went with, I was the only one that remembered to pull the cord when we hit 5,000 ft. Nervous lol..

I think it was 4500 with us........Good job remembering.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've jumped once tandem in San Diego. I'm definetley going for more. Some places offer an accelerated freefall class. It's a bit quicker than making 10 tandem jumps look into it. My landing was smooth. Anyone see the travis pastrana or scott palmer skydive with no parachute on youtube? That sh*ts crazy. Of course both needed to go out of country to Brazil or something to do it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDBrdl2sZWs"]YouTube - Travis Pastrana Skydives without a Parachute[/ame]

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STTqHmU_HAQ"]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/nomedia]

Caferacer

Caferacer

Awards
  • Established
Lmao, you don't need guts.

If you're jumping tandem, you get pushed out if you don't want to go.

Glad to hear you had a good time... when I went my girlfriend got sick on the way down. Didn't puke, but I had to deal with her 3-4 hours after that. I loved it though. When you land everyone in the hanger asks you how your jump was, since they can see the red outline from the goggles.

Or maybe she was just milking it. Probably was. Glad I'm not dating her anymore :lol:

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I've been quite a few times- and the rush never goes away- the best part (at least to me)- is looking UP at the plane as you are falling away from it- it is something you never forget :)

The highest I have gone from is 18,000 ft......took a loooong time to get to the ground

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
My only fear on going is that I would have a panic attack in the air and it would take forever to land.

mattikus

mattikus

Awards
  • Established
My only fear on going is that I would have a panic attack in the air and it would take forever to land.
Alot of people think that, but after falling for a few seconds you seem to lose the sense of fear and it turns into pure adrenaline and excitement. One thing that helped us out was that we were late for our arrival, so we had to wait a while to jump. We watched many people go up scared, then come down looking crazy happy and excited. Plus the instructors and photographers were very fun and easy to get along with. They had all been on thousands of jumps.

whiskers

whiskers

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I plan to go sometime.
what I really want to do is base jump

A vid that really caught my fancy :)
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27QHQVCtWts"]YouTube - Mountain Wingsuit[/ame]

and of course pastrana being suicidal
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDBrdl2sZWs"]YouTube - Travis Pastrana Skydives without a Parachute[/ame]

JGiff86

JGiff86

Awards
I've always wanted to go. Its kinda weird...I'm afraid of heights.....such as lookin from the top of a cliff........but I could totally jump out of a plane now prob..weird i know...

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
crader, very few people are injured on landing. I only jumped in the military, but 300 guys did 5 jumps in 3 days/nights, and there were two broken legs. Those only happened because they drifted onto asphalt. Military chutes aren't very maneuverable.

If you want to try it, don't hesitate!

Speaking of being thrown out...in the army, a jumpmaster is tied in by the door. We were jumping from C-130's, big cargo turboprops. Probably 60 guys per plane, I dunno. The red light would buzz, we'd stand up and get ready, then the green light would give the signal to go. A few guys would grab the doorway and not let go, and a delay means the plane might exit the drop zone before everyone is out. In that case, the jumpmaster karate chops the guys hands off the doorjamb, and 'hyah!' a massive boot to ass right out the door. Effin hilarious!

Standing on the edge of the doorway at 250mph and 1200ft is weird. Night jumps are weird, like jumping into a black hole with no bottom.

Good stuff!

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
skydiving is the best high i have ever had. I felt a bond with teh guy I was piggy backed to after. I will definitly go again. I may try to get my ten jumps in so i can jump by myself but that will run over $1000. The cool thing about that though is once your are certified to jump alone and you own your own parachute all you have to pay is about $20 anytime you want to jump.
20 bucks?!?!?!?! and there are people out there who pay 20 bucks for some death powder wrapped in foil that keeps em' high for 20 minutes! man, i'd definitely pick your way!

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

JGiff86

JGiff86

Awards
just lookin at that second pic....makes my balls hurt.

mattikus

mattikus

Awards
  • Established
Shweet pics copy! Just lookin' at those brings it all back. Can't wait for warmer weather so I can go again.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Both pics are US military. The top is a Seal in california and the bottom is Force Recon over australia.

nemo

nemo

Awards
  • Established
I've done it tandem once,.. and it still felt like my b*lls were in my belly!!! But what a rush,.. and bragging rights!

machinehead

machinehead

Awards
  • Established
I didn't get a rush or anything. The instructor commented on how little I talked. I was yawning for the rest of the day. It wasn't worth the 3 hour wait. The view of Jersey shore and NYC from afar was impressive though.

You are essentially floating in air and it isn't fast or scary or anything. The only memorable part was that my head got stuck on the way out (it was a very small plane) but I've been told I have a big head before :)

nemo

nemo

Awards
  • Established
The only memorable part was that my head got stuck on the way out (it was a very small plane) but I've been told I have a big head before :)
That's funny!!!:rofl:

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I didn't get a rush or anything. The instructor commented on how little I talked. I was yawning for the rest of the day. It wasn't worth the 3 hour wait. The view of Jersey shore and NYC from afar was impressive though.

You are essentially floating in air and it isn't fast or scary or anything. The only memorable part was that my head got stuck on the way out (it was a very small plane) but I've been told I have a big head before :)

Try bunging jumping, BASE jumping, or skydiving from a balloon etc. Those will give you the "sinking" "falling" feelings.