Women at the gym!

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Women at the gym

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Women at the gym
By Kristin Reisinger

Let me explain. Through the years I have seen many women in the gym lifting these rinky-dink, pink and purple hand weights barely breaking a sweat. I see the same girls do three cardio classes in a row and spend countless hours on the treadmill like hamsters on a habitrail pondering why their bodies look exactly the same as they did six months ago. These are the same girls that come up to me and ask me repeatedly what I do to look the way I do or what do I eat or do I even eat. I even overheard a girl once say, "I'm doing so good today... I only had a bagel and a salad." The list is endless and it is endlessly frustrating.

I wish I had a megaphone right now. Ladies... you need to lift HEAVY to have a physique like the chick from Terminator! When you feel like you can't squeeze out any more reps... do two more! Get calluses on your hands... your man will love it. So many of you comment on how much you'd love to have a body like Madonna or Angela Bassett or Gabrielle Reece but most of you don't do anything to get it! Do you think these women work out with tiny little dumbbells and their bodies look like that by mistake?

Do you even know how hard it is and how much meticulous planning and preparation (and testosterone!) it takes to put on muscle and "bulk up" like a professional bodybuilder? I've been lifting as hard and heavy as any guy I know for two years and I keep getting smaller and leaner! I look sexier and more feminine than ever before, too.

By really lifting weights and stressing your muscles you will increase your lean mass, and since it is this lean mass (muscle tissue) that burns fat, you will have the capacity to burn more fat even at rest. Combining this with a moderate amount of cardiovascular activity (not three step classes in a row) will turn your body into a fat burning machine. Too much cardio works against you and will eventually begin to utilize your hard-earned lean muscle tissue for energy which is NOT the desired goal.

"It's all about ATTITUDE," says Fortress, and I agree wholeheartedly. I would venture to say us women need to dish out even more of it than men...."

You also need to EAT. Your need to fuel your body with the appropriate foods for energy as well as protein for the build up and reparation of muscle tissue. Starving yourself is NOT the answer and is more detrimental than most of you realize. It will slow down your BMR (basal metabolic rate) and hang on to every last bit of bagel you consume as stored energy (fat).

By eating small, low-fat meals throughout the day incorporating a protein source with good sources of fibrous and complex carbohydrates will stabilize your insulin levels and sustain your energy levels. This will prevent your body from going into starvation mode while giving you all the building blocks you need for developing and shaping your muscles. Plus, you actually get to eat more!

"...the gym is our domain as much as any man."

"It's all about ATTITUDE," says Fortress, and I agree wholeheartedly. I would even venture to say us women need to dish out even more of it than men. If I had a nickel for every time I witness some girl feeling intimidated in the gym because of the presence of a man or give up a machine or a bench because some dude is waiting for it, I'd have a bank account like Arnold. I have gone up to girls in the gym and yelled at them for doing that.

Where's your damn backbone?! Self-esteem, confidence and an all-around, I don't give a **** attitude are all part of the package that go along with my philosophies on training like a woman which is far more attractive than a whole heap of mascara, lip gloss and eye liner. And the gym is our domain as much as any man.

Training like a woman is a synergistic framework allowing everything else in life to fall into place that much smoother including relationships, career or whatever you allow it to flow into. Having a great body is merely a fringe benefit. So ladies, to quote a very wise person, "Go hard or go home," especially if you're a woman
is article and enjoyed the read:

bassgirl

bassgirl

Awards
I will be upping my weights after christmas (give me one more gym visit at current numbers since gym was closed 2 days in row). However, I'll be getting them to show me the barbells and "real" lifting techniques next month. Bench press club, here I come!

Been working on the small meals thing, and even with the anti-starvation understanding, I still believe I eat too much. I need to be somewhere in between but not sure yet where.

Armed with some of my new knowledge from nov and dec this year, my new years plan is to put two and two together, and also encourage accelerated weight loss with supps. Look out!:pose:

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Women at the gym

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Women at the gym
By Kristin Reisinger

Let me explain. Through the years I have seen many women in the gym lifting these rinky-dink, pink and purple hand weights barely breaking a sweat. I see the same girls do three cardio classes in a row and spend countless hours on the treadmill like hamsters on a habitrail pondering why their bodies look exactly the same as they did six months ago. These are the same girls that come up to me and ask me repeatedly what I do to look the way I do or what do I eat or do I even eat. I even overheard a girl once say, "I'm doing so good today... I only had a bagel and a salad." The list is endless and it is endlessly frustrating.

I wish I had a megaphone right now. Ladies... you need to lift HEAVY to have a physique like the chick from Terminator! When you feel like you can't squeeze out any more reps... do two more! Get calluses on your hands... your man will love it. So many of you comment on how much you'd love to have a body like Madonna or Angela Bassett or Gabrielle Reece but most of you don't do anything to get it! Do you think these women work out with tiny little dumbbells and their bodies look like that by mistake?

Do you even know how hard it is and how much meticulous planning and preparation (and testosterone!) it takes to put on muscle and "bulk up" like a professional bodybuilder? I've been lifting as hard and heavy as any guy I know for two years and I keep getting smaller and leaner! I look sexier and more feminine than ever before, too.

By really lifting weights and stressing your muscles you will increase your lean mass, and since it is this lean mass (muscle tissue) that burns fat, you will have the capacity to burn more fat even at rest. Combining this with a moderate amount of cardiovascular activity (not three step classes in a row) will turn your body into a fat burning machine. Too much cardio works against you and will eventually begin to utilize your hard-earned lean muscle tissue for energy which is NOT the desired goal.

"It's all about ATTITUDE," says Fortress, and I agree wholeheartedly. I would venture to say us women need to dish out even more of it than men...."

You also need to EAT. Your need to fuel your body with the appropriate foods for energy as well as protein for the build up and reparation of muscle tissue. Starving yourself is NOT the answer and is more detrimental than most of you realize. It will slow down your BMR (basal metabolic rate) and hang on to every last bit of bagel you consume as stored energy (fat).

By eating small, low-fat meals throughout the day incorporating a protein source with good sources of fibrous and complex carbohydrates will stabilize your insulin levels and sustain your energy levels. This will prevent your body from going into starvation mode while giving you all the building blocks you need for developing and shaping your muscles. Plus, you actually get to eat more!

"It's all about ATTITUDE," says Fortress, and I agree wholeheartedly. I would even venture to say us women need to dish out even more of it than men. If I had a nickel for every time I witness some girl feeling intimidated in the gym because of the presence of a man or give up a machine or a bench because some dude is waiting for it, I'd have a bank account like Arnold. I have gone up to girls in the gym and yelled at them for doing that.

Where's your damn backbone?! Self-esteem, confidence and an all-around, I don't give a **** attitude are all part of the package that go along with my philosophies on training like a woman which is far more attractive than a whole heap of mascara, lip gloss and eye liner. And the gym is our domain as much as any man.

Training like a woman is a synergistic framework allowing everything else in life to fall into place that much smoother including relationships, career or whatever you allow it to flow into. Having a great body is merely a fringe benefit. So ladies, to quote a very wise person, "Go hard or go home," especially if you're a woman
OMG i love you!

Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete

Awards
Oh my gosh! Such a passionate women! Why can't I find a women like you in my area? There's only one girl who works out in the weights area at my gym...well...the only one I see...she lifts quite heavy, I suspect her boyfriend / partner has conditioned her to do it....good on her!

I'd love a girl to tell me 'no, i'm still using this, (can you) wait 2 sets?'!

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Oh my gosh! Such a passionate women! Why can't I find a women like you in my area? There's only one girl who works out in the weights area at my gym...well...the only one I see...she lifts quite heavy, I suspect her boyfriend / partner has conditioned her to do it....good on her!

I'd love a girl to tell me 'no, i'm still using this, (can you) wait 2 sets?'!
Well I very rarely say no to someone asking me to use something. But I will let them work in a set. But I do feel the gym is as much a womans place as a mans. I've had several male trainers and they take no whining or mercy on me for being female. And those trainers got the best conditioning from me!

boxmeman

boxmeman

Awards
  • Established
Women at the gym

Women at the gym
By Kristin Reisinger

Why aren't there more women like you?

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
We get so many women coming in the store and they don't want to hear us telling them that 60 minutes of weights is much better for helping them lean out than the 3 hours they spend doing cardio. Thank you for posting this. I should print this out and put it on display.

thwomp

Awards
Great post!

As a trainer, I've had to deal with countless woman trying to lose weight that have the mindset of lighter weight, more reps.

Now, if you yourself would come and tell these woman this, it would be greatly appreciated ;)

Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete

Awards
yeah, as a trainer, I've had to do a lot of convincing (if that's the right word), that heavier weights are OK, even...better!

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I love the heavier weights..It has not made me bulky at all. If anything it has brought out good definition!

Now cardio I hate, so I would much rather build the muscle that it takes to burn fat at a resting rate.

It was explained once to me like this, You can do cardio for an hour and burn 400 calories and then go out and eat somewhere and blow all the good you did,minus straight cardio benefits. Now I do cardio for around 15min-30 min at the end of a good workout for health reasons. But I rely on diet and weights to kep weight down.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
You can do cardio for an hour and burn 400 calories and then go out and eat somewhere and blow all the good you did,minus straight cardio benefits. Now I do cardio for around 15min-30 min at the end of a good workout for health reasons. But I rely on diet and weights to kep weight down.
I need a shirt that says that. Then maybe the 4 hour power walkers will see it.

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Lol I doubt it. People seem to get set in their ways and they are hard to change.

I know that cardio has its benefits, but unless you are lifting weights and have diet locked in it won't change you. You may lose some weight but if you don't eat correctly the calories cross each other out when you eat out.

But if you are lifting at the same time your body burns fat at a resting rate to suport the muscle.

I guess it depends what you want out of your gym time.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ahhhh yes the 4 hour power walkers......:numbered: "blow em' up"

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
"I don't want to get too bulky or muscle'y"
:toofunny:

Like it just happens in one day :D

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wohoo, another chick not afraid to get down and dirty!

Women at the gym

Women at the gym
By Kristin Reisinger

I'm SOOOO hearing you here, gal (in fact I said something similar to Norweigan on my log before I came across this!). Wish females would actually realize this and get hard with training!

Frequency

Frequency

Awards
  • Established
AMEN TO THIS THREAD!!!! I think being a male makes it even harder to convince the stubborn women that lifting hard and heavy is what they need. Thank you and way to go

wastedwhiteboy2

wastedwhiteboy2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I've been preaching what this article says for years. Now I'll spread this article around to back my self up!

kkschaef

kkschaef

Awards
Three cheers to you!!! I can't tell you how many times a day I say that **** to my female clients. As far as attitude I'm the one usually pushing the guys out of the way to get to the equipment I need let alone hurry up so someone else can use it "Attitude" is right!

AppliedBaby

AppliedBaby

Awards
Im with ya, the guys are bullshittin sittin on the benches for 10-15 minutes not doing anything. Im there to get it in and get out

e30Kat

e30Kat

Awards
sooo, my girlfriend eats right all the time and at the right times (read: salads, cottage cheese, tuna, lots of protein - shakes, bars, etc, every 2-3 hours) - she's 23, 5' 114lbs and complains to me that she doesnt notice a difference in her body (year ago she weighed 126lbs) I do, she is leaner and slimmer than when i first met her - but her goal isnt to be thin, it's to be more defined and tone.

She does a million hours/miles of cardio a week. I tell her her 6 days/wk are too much. She does do some light lifting, high reps.

After reading this sounds like i should be telling her to lift heavy and cut back on the cardio.

Also, she may be interested in taking some supplements, any suggestions from the ladies on something that will help her build that lean muscle mass she wants? I'm personally partial to applied nutriceutical products, but anything that is reputable is okay. (My igf-2, recomped neovar, and drive get here this upcoming week :woohoo:)

any/all help is appreciated!

edit: just made her read the article :)

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
She needs to hit the weights to get tone. Cardio will not do it. I would say at least 4 days a week of weights, it does not even have to be heavy. Maybe lower weights and higher sets and reps.

My sets are all supersetted and usually are 15 reps and 4 sets.

CustomNW

Awards
  • Established
I love the heavier weights..It has not made me bulky at all. If anything it has brought out good definition!

Now cardio I hate, so I would much rather build the muscle that it takes to burn fat at a resting rate.

It was explained once to me like this, You can do cardio for an hour and burn 400 calories and then go out and eat somewhere and blow all the good you did,minus straight cardio benefits. Now I do cardio for around 15min-30 min at the end of a good workout for health reasons. But I rely on diet and weights to kep weight down.
I have to say, more women need to understand this like you do. :clap2:

CustomNW

Awards
  • Established
She does a million hours/miles of cardio a week. I tell her her 6 days/wk are too much. She does do some light lifting, high reps.

After reading this sounds like i should be telling her to lift heavy and cut back on the cardio.

:)
Yes, lifting will only further her progress. My girl used to do this as well. Now she deadlifts, legpresses, lunges and her toning has increased dramaticaly. I would have her do weights 3-5 times a week.

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I have to say, more women need to understand this like you do. :clap2:
Well with my job requiring pictures on this site and keeping in top shape, you learn really quick what you have to do! I can make all the excuses I want but at the end of the day I'm the one who has to live with it!!! So I get up and I go lift. I suppliment what I need to and diet , diet, diet!! Without dieting correctly and pulling in the protein I would be nothing!!

Oh and by the way I love the fucoxanthin you sent. Its stacking quite well with the DCP/ephedra stack I'm doing.

e30Kat

e30Kat

Awards
thanks for the input... i'll let her know whats up!

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
ha, absolutely... i'll get a pic up of my whip in a minute... you?
I rebuilt an old 325e (Torquester) after my SE-R got totalled by a drunk driver. The only car I really crave is a sweet new M3 or M5.

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Hey!! No car talk or pics in my thread unless its being used in a powerlifting pic as a car drag!! This is a workout thread, not the blah blah talking for 30 min clogging up the gym guy kind of thread!!! LOL

e30Kat

e30Kat

Awards
Hey!! No car talk or pics in my thread unless its being used in a powerlifting pic as a car drag!! This is a workout thread, not the blah blah talking for 30 min clogging up the gym guy kind of thread!!! LOL
Easy there Tiger. We were just showing all the other ladies exactly how it gets started and what was meant by this quote:

Im with ya, the guys are bullshittin sittin on the benches for 10-15 minutes not doing anything. Im there to get it in and get out
:woohoo:

I rebuilt an old 325e (Torquester) after my SE-R got totalled by a drunk driver. The only car I really crave is a sweet new M3 or M5.
yes, they are absolutely sexy. and the difference between cars and women is the fatter/wider the cars are - the better :toofunny:

If there's anymore car talk we'll take it to pm... you can have the bench now :rasp:

and thank you again for everybody's input on my previous question in this thread. To be on topic, my girlfriend just said to me last night that while she was at the gym yesterday, she was embarrased/intimidated to go over and do free weights near all the guys. So it definately is an issue women need to take a hold of. She's had experiences where she'd be working out with another girl friend, and guys would either bother her - or snicker and laugh at something they were doing improperly instead of being mature and helping out. I think part of the problem lies on us guys too. thats my .06 (inflation).

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Ahh well then you should take her over and teach her good form, as she builds confidence that will get better for her. It just takes time.

e30Kat

e30Kat

Awards
Ahh well then you should take her over and teach her good form, as she builds confidence that will get better for her. It just takes time.
My last post was referring to a time where I wasnt at the gym same time she was.

Today she worked out with me and a buddy and we hit legs hard. We're both nice and sore already, and she's happy she tagged along with us. :woohoo:

Slowly but surely she should be comfortable to do it on her own...

thanks again for the suggestions!

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Thats awesome you work out with her. It can be fun and make it easier sometimes!

trashydiva24

trashydiva24

Awards
Its stacking quite well with the DCP/ephedra stack I'm doing.[/QUOTE]

Is DCP ok to stack with ephedra??? I'm sorry if this is a stupid question... i haven't been on this forum in a while and am still going threw all the posts!

Any help will be much appreciated!

P.S. I have a HUGE jiu-jitsu competition that I have to loose another 15 lbs. to make weight. I am running an ephedra stack right now, I am seeing results but would love to make a bigger dent in fat loss.

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I'm using the ephedra/DCP combo right now. As long as you keep water up its fine.

tbaptista

tbaptista

Awards
This post is awesome! It gives me inspiration to go out there and work even HARDER! Thanks!

papapumpsd

papapumpsd

Awards
  • Established
HEY! I POWER WALK G-DAMMIT! ;P 45 min to 1 hr 5x/week (~4 miles). Or I'll hop on a treadmill and incline it to 10 (out of 15) and get my stroll on at 3.4mph.

And if you're a girl and you "workout" and don't sweat, you suck. You're not even doing $hit. Get raunchy in the gym or get out.

If you're a dood and you don't break a sweat.....piss off. Get off this forum ;D GAYZORES!!! GAY BALLS!!

depwned

Awards

Tripdog, boxmeman, and guesjn, (and many others): why quote the entire OP for your one sentence responses? They usually consist of "way to go" "rock on girl!" or "oh yea baby I like it like that" and quoting two pages of material does not seem necessary. I love scrolling with either my scroll bar or, if I am feeling crazy, my down arrow, as much as the next guy and I also like to re-read articles that I just read three more times, just for fun, just to see how it feels, but isn't the quote function supposed to be used to clarify what a response is referring too? If you are really feeling like when you say "Great Post! Keep rocking on!" people are going to have no idea that you are referring to the original post, would it not be easier on me if you would just add a simple "OP" to your response.

Ex. - Great article! Thanks OP! Check your PM. :hammer::toofunny:

I think that would work. I think people would get it. I would. I would not ask, I know you all are excellent contributors to the forum, but my scroll wheel is down to like a nub and I spent the last of my paycheck on lube and a subscription to dogloveXXX . com. So please do your part to save the wheel. My visa's maxed out.

jessicalykwan

Awards
Wow crader, as a young female that just started working out, I'm absolutely awed by what you said in this post!

I'm 5'4.5" and around 102 lbs...but very very week. I started working out a mth ago and only recently mastered using 5 pound dumb bells. But when it comes to working on my triceps, i still have a long way to go...

I never knew that working on heavy weights helps you get leaner and lose body fat! I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out what's wrong with the changes in my body ever since I've started working out. I do alot of cardio but as well as weights with my personal trainer!

I really want to get rid of my love handles, lower abs and tone up my hamstrings and bum!

Any advice?

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Wow crader, as a young female that just started working out, I'm absolutely awed by what you said in this post!

I'm 5'4.5" and around 102 lbs...but very very week. I started working out a mth ago and only recently mastered using 5 pound dumb bells. But when it comes to working on my triceps, i still have a long way to go...

I never knew that working on heavy weights helps you get leaner and lose body fat! I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out what's wrong with the changes in my body ever since I've started working out. I do alot of cardio but as well as weights with my personal trainer!

I really want to get rid of my love handles, lower abs and tone up my hamstrings and bum!

Any advice?

My first advice would be to make sure you are getting at least 110 grams of protein in a day. If your protein levels are to low you will not build muscle.

For your lower body I recommend 4 sets of walking dumbell lunges. Squats are good and deadlifts of course are a staple. Abs are all diet. If your diet is locked in then they will show. But the muscle you build under it will come from leg lifts, crunches , walkouts and all the fun things your trainer should already have you doing.

jessicalykwan

Awards
My first advice would be to make sure you are getting at least 110 grams of protein in a day. If your protein levels are to low you will not build muscle.

For your lower body I recommend 4 sets of walking dumbell lunges. Squats are good and deadlifts of course are a staple. Abs are all diet. If your diet is locked in then they will show. But the muscle you build under it will come from leg lifts, crunches , walkouts and all the fun things your trainer should already have you doing.
When you say 110 grams of protein, should I take those protein shakes or just any type of food that has protein like chicken? My diet is really bad...I eat cold cut sandwiches soemtimes, lots of carbs and occassionally junk food. Ever since I started working out, I never seem to be full! Is that normal?

When you say abs are all diet, doesnt that mean I should eat less in terms of portions? I have severe bowel movements and I'm not sure if that's the reason my tummy's been extremely bloated.

I'm seeing my personal trainer today. I'll ask her to show me what walkouts and deadlifts are (cuz I dunno what they are). Thanks for the tips so far crader!

Jess

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
When you say 110 grams of protein, should I take those protein shakes or just any type of food that has protein like chicken? My diet is really bad...I eat cold cut sandwiches soemtimes, lots of carbs and occassionally junk food. Ever since I started working out, I never seem to be full! Is that normal?

When you say abs are all diet, doesnt that mean I should eat less in terms of portions? I have severe bowel movements and I'm not sure if that's the reason my tummy's been extremely bloated.

I'm seeing my personal trainer today. I'll ask her to show me what walkouts and deadlifts are (cuz I dunno what they are). Thanks for the tips so far crader!

Jess
For the protein get as much of that as you can from natural foods, but protein drinks are fine to fill in the gaps. It sounds like the foods you are eating are higher in sodium. Maybe try eating a meal with 30 grams of protein say every three hours. Try to keep your carbs things like oatmeal, sweet potatoes and whole grain rice. Get Gut Health from Nutraplanet to help with your bloat and bowels.

When I say its all diet for abs its in terms of the healthy foods you choose to eat. To much salt and bread type carbs and high sugar will keep your abs from showing.

You will lose more weight from weight training with light cardio than you will heavy cardio and little weights.

chuebner

Awards
Thanks for the article. I know I am a little late. I showed it to my girlfriend, b/c she feels she has hit a plateau with loosing weight. She was very responsive and is going to give it a try. She said she has always been weary of lifting like the article mentioned, b/c her trainer said that if she had any fat on her and then gained muscle, the muscle would push the fat and cause cellulite(sp?). And this was her volleyball coach, either her AAU or college coach(she played Division 1). Any truth to this. I mean I dont buy it, but what do i know.

cable626

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
great article. just emailed to my girlfriend.
I'm dying to get her to squat, bench, and deadlift again.
she doesn't realize that when she did this she was in the best shape of her life.

Warriorz

Awards
Definitely forwarded this *thread to some girls I train with. Straight and to the damn point, Thanks!