Training fiancée

rhoadx

Awards
  • Established
Quick question, for opinions. I'm just starting to train my fiancée. she is new to the gym ( used to lift, but was mainly using machines) primarily wants to lose fat ( although she doesn't have much at all, very slender, so basically just tighten up). She wants to predominantly use free weights now. My question is should I start her out with more machines ( just to get her body acclaimed to resistance exercise) or just start right at free weights. Also any other tips or programs you women would suggest? I have her doing 3 full body workouts a week right now. Thanks in advance.

ToughMech

Awards
I started out by using free weights as long as she knows how to use good form so she does not injure herself. Free weights will use more muscles for stabilization and great for adding some muscle. I started off with a lower body/upper body/fullbody split then gradually went to into more specific body parts once I was able to build that stamina and workout more sets per group. However there is no right or wrong way to spilt up muscle groups as long she switches it up every so often to prevent plateaus. Once she feels more comfortable I would suggest going up to 5 days a week depending on her goals.
Since you said she does not have much fat on her I assume she is like me and is naturally skinny so I would suggest that she tries to add muscle and makes sure she gets her pre and post workout carbs in. Building more muscle will cause more fat to burn and make her look more fit. HIIT training is also awesome to building muscle/lose fat and its so diverse the possibilities are endless so no reason to get ever get bored.

rhoadx

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the input, yeah I agree it will be best to start out with free weights. Also your definitely right about making sure she gets her nutrition in, that will be the hard part for me ( she has almost no appetite, she actually sees eating as a waste of time) the times we've gone in the gym together, she works really hard. Just got to get her eating more

Epolis13

Epolis13

Awards
If she's not going to get her act together with her nutrition, the workouts are irrelevant.

BlockBuilder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Thanks for the input, yeah I agree it will be best to start out with free weights. Also your definitely right about making sure she gets her nutrition in, that will be the hard part for me ( she has almost no appetite, she actually sees eating as a waste of time) the times we've gone in the gym together, she works really hard. Just got to get her eating more
Eating is a waste of time? Sheesh never heard that one before. I mean it's required if you don't want to...ya know...DIE lol

UncleSarm

UncleSarm

Awards
  • Established
Quick question, for opinions. I'm just starting to train my fiancée. she is new to the gym ( used to lift, but was mainly using machines) primarily wants to lose fat ( although she doesn't have much at all, very slender, so basically just tighten up). She wants to predominantly use free weights now. My question is should I start her out with more machines ( just to get her body acclaimed to resistance exercise) or just start right at free weights. Also any other tips or programs you women would suggest? I have her doing 3 full body workouts a week right now. Thanks in advance.
Up your game in the gym or you may have to hand your pants over to her, and borrow them when you go out.

rhoadx

Awards
  • Established
Eating is a waste of time? Sheesh never heard that one before. I mean it's required if you don't want to...ya know...DIE lol
Well, maybe that sounds worse than how it really is. She does eat, but pretty much only like one meal a day, and not like warrior diet or anything, that one meal isn't nearly enough. I'm working at teaching her some of the lifting till she is used to it ( she's doing great in that aspect) then will get her eating more to better fuel her. My thought is that it will be a easier transition than just changing everything all at once.

Epolis13

Epolis13

Awards
That may have some merit, but her nutrition will be far more important than her training. I'd drill that point often.

rhoadx

Awards
  • Established
I totally agree with you. I'm making a little bit of progress there. Not as much as I would like, but baby steps I guess

Epolis13

Epolis13

Awards
Encourage her to make an account here and post some questions