New Bicep Exercise - The Sears Curl

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  231 lbs.
    Answers

New Bicep Exercise - The Sears Curl

Well let me start off with saying that I have yet to see anyone do this exercise (in the gym or magazine). And because I haven't heard of it before, i decided to name it after myself, or until a proper reference to a name is given.

during my last bicep training session this week, i was sitting and thinking between sets. i had done barbell curls already and was working on some db hammer curls. since i am currently logging hyperpump from AMS, i was really thinking about the effects going on in my bicep.

I then realized that I always get a great pump in the "lower" portion of my bicep; were it attaches to the elbow. it was like stone at that point in the workout. and then, when i felt the portion of the bicep closer to the shoulder, it was soft. And in the past, i have thought about this, but brushed it off. I decided i wanted to try to find an angle that allowed me to focus on that portion of my bicep.

so what i found was that w/my arm raised above my head and curling my hand towards my head really focused that part of my bicep. i walked over to the cable stack and put a bent bar on the top cable spot. with my back to the cable stack, i grabbed this bent bar with a "curling grip" and lowered myself to my knees. i than began curling the weight stack from a full arm extension to the back of my head. after the first set, i knew i was on to something. even with a typically "lighter" curling weight, it made that part of my bicep pumped. i did another set, and then i had two guys come over and ask me about the exercise i was doing and why.

this is my description of the Sears Curl. is it just me, or has anyone seen/doing this?

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  .5 lbs.
    Answers

i think we need a picture. trying to visualize this is too hard.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  231 lbs.
    Answers

hmmm..... ok..... let me see what i can do.
    •   

4. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Answers

I picture this as standing with your back to a cable stack, and curling from a completely vertical straight arm position to behind the head? Indeed, a picture would be useful here.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  231 lbs.
    Answers

alright. give me about 25 minutes. i'm going to run to the gym real quick, have someone take a couple shots of this exercise and i'll throw them up here.
  6. Snuggle Club™ mascot
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Answers

Sounds like the inverse of an overhead tricep press
    Recent log:http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/213350-lean-efx-refined.html
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  231 lbs.
    Answers

ok here you all go. i'm sure some one had done this exercise before.

start
    Attached Images Attached Images    
  8. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Answers

since tomorrow is biceps day I will give this a run. One of the great things about biceps is angles change everything
    Controlled Labs Head Board Rep
    adam @ ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  .5 lbs.
    Answers

This is definitely something new I'm interested in trying. Thanks for the pic. I'll try it out tonight and let you know my results. I'm always up for new techniques.
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  231 lbs.
    Answers

sweet guys. please let me know what you all think once you have tried it. i'm going to incorporate into my biceps training for a number of weeks and see if i can see a difference in the shape/peak in the bicep.
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  .5 lbs.
    Answers

i've always struggled with hitting the upper portion. Preacher hits the lower very well, but getting that top part has always eluded me for the longest time.

The best contraction I can get to that is doing incline dumbbell curls which work so-so. It hits more of the middle (peak) of the bicep head for me.
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  .5 lbs.
    Answers

Maybe even take a bench, and seat it completely at a 90 degree angle to keep the back flat and trying it might be another option.
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  231 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ReaperX View Post
    Maybe even take a bench, and seat it completely at a 90 degree angle to keep the back flat and trying it might be another option.
    that is an idea, but i have a feeling that the bench itself will prevent you from getting full contraction. i may try it though, just to find out.
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  231 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper329 View Post
    since tomorrow is biceps day I will give this a run. One of the great things about biceps is angles change everything
    alright bud, i'm going to be looking for your thoughts on this exercise today.
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"   lbs.
    Answers

'the sears curl'. I was half expecting a joke thread about women/shopping. I'll have to give that a shot, although for me it's the spot closest to the elbow that needs more size/definition.
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  235 lbs.
    Answers

Sorry to burst your bubble but I have been doing these on a lat pulldown cable for a while. They work the short head of the muscle I believe, and are used to build higher peaks. I believe, but could be wrong, this was a favorite bicep exercise of serge nubret. I wish I could find the article on them but I remember reading about this movement on T-nation a while ago. I will definitely refer to them as the sear's curl from now on though
    Muscle Pharm Rep
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  231 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by pmiller383 View Post
    Sorry to burst your bubble but I have been doing these on a lat pulldown cable for a while. They work the short head of the muscle I believe, and are used to build higher peaks. I believe, but could be wrong, this was a favorite bicep exercise of serge nubret. I wish I could find the article on them but I remember reading about this movement on T-nation a while ago. I will definitely refer to them as the sear's curl from now on though
    thanks man. if you ever find that article, let me know. and you referring it as the Sears Curl is awesome, since that is my last name. rep to you my friend.
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by avgBdybldr View Post
    thanks man. if you ever find that article, let me know. and you referring it as the Sears Curl is awesome, since that is my last name. rep to you my friend.

EH, YOU NEVER HEARD OF SOMEONE USING IT BEFORE YOU, WHICH MEANS YOU THOUGHT OF IT OUT OF THIN AIR. IT'S TECHNICALLY YOUR IDEA. that's good. remember that. good job on that, i will try these in a future routine. will let you know how your idea worked.

it's like for me, i once thought of a saying that summed up myself/my place in this immeasurable universe, and it was "I am I." I found out later that an old Chinaman named Confuscious said, "You are you and I am I..."

I felt bad for a minute, but then I realized that since my words were conjured from my own mind, they were indeed mine. Enjoy!
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  231 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Manimalia View Post
    EH, YOU NEVER HEARD OF SOMEONE USING IT BEFORE YOU, WHICH MEANS YOU THOUGHT OF IT OUT OF THIN AIR. IT'S TECHNICALLY YOUR IDEA. that's good. remember that. good job on that, i will try these in a future routine. will let you know how your idea worked.

it's like for me, i once thought of a saying that summed up myself/my place in this immeasurable universe, and it was "I am I." I found out later that an old Chinaman named Confuscious said, "You are you and I am I..."

I felt bad for a minute, but then I realized that since my words were conjured from my own mind, they were indeed mine. Enjoy!
    thanks for the support.

i hit up the Sears Curls again today to finish up my bicep work. i loved them again. i don't have to go heavy, just concentrate on the contraction. pumped my biceps ridiculously. this will end up being a new staple exercise for a while.
  20. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  187 lbs.
    Answers

thanks for the support.

i hit up the Sears Curls again today to finish up my bicep work. i loved them again. i don't have to go heavy, just concentrate on the contraction. pumped my biceps ridiculously. this will end up being a new staple exercise for a while.

nice! count me in!
  21. Registered User
    Answers

Looks interesting. I definitely might have to try this Thursday when I do Bi's again.
  22. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  231 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by rbuecker View Post
    nice! count me in!
    welcome to the new curling club.
  23. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  231 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by TerribleTowel View Post
    Looks interesting. I definitely might have to try this Thursday when I do Bi's again.
    i think you'll like it. i wouldn't do it as a first or second bicep exercise. very good finishing off the biceps exercise.
  24. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  145 lbs.
    Answers

I like. Will give it a go on biceps day.
  25. Registered User
    Answers

Also I would be interested in seeing that Serge Nubret article if you can dig it up.
  26. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'11"  202 lbs.
    Answers

my gym has a seated machine that does this. I effing love it! Ill try and grab the name of it tomorrow.
  27. Banned
    Stats
    5'11"  197 lbs.
    Answers

Well let me start off with saying that I have yet to see anyone do this exercise (in the gym or magazine). And because I haven't heard of it before, i decided to name it after myself, or until a proper reference to a name is given.

during my last bicep training session this week, i was sitting and thinking between sets. i had done barbell curls already and was working on some db hammer curls. since i am currently logging hyperpump from AMS, i was really thinking about the effects going on in my bicep.

I then realized that I always get a great pump in the "lower" portion of my bicep; were it attaches to the elbow. it was like stone at that point in the workout. and then, when i felt the portion of the bicep closer to the shoulder, it was soft. And in the past, i have thought about this, but brushed it off. I decided i wanted to try to find an angle that allowed me to focus on that portion of my bicep.

so what i found was that w/my arm raised above my head and curling my hand towards my head really focused that part of my bicep. i walked over to the cable stack and put a bent bar on the top cable spot. with my back to the cable stack, i grabbed this bent bar with a "curling grip" and lowered myself to my knees. i than began curling the weight stack from a full arm extension to the back of my head. after the first set, i knew i was on to something. even with a typically "lighter" curling weight, it made that part of my bicep pumped. i did another set, and then i had two guys come over and ask me about the exercise i was doing and why.

this is my description of the Sears Curl. is it just me, or has anyone seen/doing this?
    I do that at least every other workout involving biceps. Except the way I do it, I pull up a bench or seat to the cable, put it on the highest and face it and lean forward on the bench with one arm doing the pull as hard as possible and squeezing while fully flexed.

This is pretty much the best pure short-head of bicep exercise I can think of, but it's not good for mass building by any means.

Going from a spider curl to this exercise is kind of like going from a standing curl to a spider curl. The activation of the certain parts of the bicep generally depend on where the humerus is angled in respect to the torso.

For example, in order of highest brachialis/long-head activation to highest biceps/short-head activation, a general order of exercise is as follows:
    1)Incline hammer curls. 2) Hammer curls. 3) EZ Bar curls. 4) Barbell curls. 5) Preacher curls. 6) Spider curls. 7) Teh SEARZ KURL!
  28. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.
    Answers

I'll be doing bi's on Saturday -- I'll give this a go!
  29. Gold Member
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.
    Answers

I'll give this a shot tonight. Thanks, brother
  30. Banned
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Manimalia View Post

GET THAT KID AWAY FROM THOSE KILLERS THAT SOME CALL DOGS!!!!!!!!!........I love your avi pic!I'm doing this curl right now to see how it feels,and it feels great avgbb'r!
  31. Registered User
    Answers

Dude, I hate to break it to you, but when it comes to biceps, EVERYTHING you can possibly think of has been done by some 110 pound kid who comes to the gym with his 5 other 110 pound friends and refuses to do anything but curls (come to think of it, decline situps and pec deck are also favourites) for hours at a time. I'm sure you've seen that there is one who is maybe 115 who is the "leader" and puffs his chest out and tells them all how to get huge, and what new exercises are the best for just getting ****ing jacked. They also use the famous "spotter curl" exercise to throw off people who might be trying to get their secrets - it looks like one of them is doing a bench press, but really, the spotter (s) are the ones getting a workout, curling the weight during every rep.

No kidding, I actually saw a group of maybe 4-5 kids doing the exercise you've described in the gym the other day... They probably had a combined weight of 600 pounds, and that's only because a couple of them were kind of tall. Sorry man, they beat you to it.
  32. Registered User
    Answers

He wasn't saying it has never been done, just saying that in his experiences in the gym and in his research he had never seen it before. So in his own right he came up with it on his own. Maybe he wasn't the first (we've already established that), but it was an original idea. I personally, along with obviously a lot of other people in this thread, have never seen this curl variation before and applaud him for bringing to our attention.

I also hate those bench press curlers, where the spotter looks more exhausted after the set than the guy actually doing the benching.
  33. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  231 lbs.
    Answers

Thanks for the support everyone. As a response to Lector606 and Terrible Towel, your right. I understand that this exercise was not "my creation". I also understand that I haven't ever heard a specific name given to it either, thus one of my motivations to start this thread. The other reason I started this is because i am sure there are a lot of guys (like myself) who have never seen this. I'm sure there are guys that wonder how to hit that specific point in their bicep (like myself), but weren't sure how. I was trying to add a little knowledge/experience to this board.
  34. Banned
    Answers

Thanks for the support everyone. As a response to Lector606 and Terrible Towel, your right. I understand that this exercise was not "my creation". I also understand that I haven't ever heard a specific name given to it either, thus one of my motivations to start this thread. The other reason I started this is because i am sure there are a lot of guys (like myself) who have never seen this. I'm sure there are guys that wonder how to hit that specific point in their bicep (like myself), but weren't sure how. I was trying to add a little knowledge/experience to this board.
    Mission acomplished.Thats what this sight is all about.I will do it now and who knows how long it would of taken before I read about it,or seen it somewhere else.....Thank you!
  35. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by pmiller383 View Post
    Bicep peaks are genetic. If you never had a peak you probally never will unless you do synthol. I have a slight peak in my right arm and no peak in my left. genetics play a big role friend.
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness
  36. Gate Keeper
    Answers

Did these today and have to say I liked how it hit that upper part of my bi. Thanks for the suggestion brother
  37. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  231 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by smeton_yea View Post
    Bicep peaks are genetic. If you never had a peak you probally never will unless you do synthol. I have a slight peak in my right arm and no peak in my left. genetics play a big role friend.
    i don't completely agree with that. yeah, genetics are king. but until your at your full genetic potential, how do you know that you can't force that peak? i've trained for peak w/particular exercises and have seen a difference.
  38. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  231 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by jminis View Post
    Did these today and have to say I liked how it hit that upper part of my bi. Thanks for the suggestion brother
    i'm glad to hear. your welcome; and that's the reason on started the thread.
  39. Banned
    Stats
    5'11"  197 lbs.
    Answers

Even if it doesn't help with a peak (and I have long muscles, so I have no peak at all) it's still awesome for mass building to hit the short head hard. My biceps seem to have started to stick out medially more and more since I incorporated this kind of bicep exercise into my routine about 2 months ago.
  40. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  145 lbs.
    Answers

I did these today, and I was able to do 50, 60, & 70 pounds at 12 reps pretty easily.

How much weight did you use relative to your standing bar curl?
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Barbell curl verses ez bar curl
    By John Smeton in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-09-2010, 07:00 PM
  2. STANDING BICEPS CURL VS. PREACHER MACHINE CURL
    By bi0hazurd in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-13-2010, 07:39 PM
  3. Bicep curl
    By onimusha in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 12-23-2008, 01:07 PM
  4. Free Weight Arm Curl vs Arm Curl with Pulley
    By ich1ban in forum Training Forum
    Last Post: 01-14-2008, 10:50 PM
  5. Is there an exercise for the bicep tendons?
    By bombBoogie in forum Exercise Science
    Last Post: 06-04-2007, 10:51 AM