New Bicep Exercise - The Sears Curl

CodyMartin

CodyMartin

Awards
I, too, had a tendency to bring my elbows forward while doing this motion. I'll have to try again and watch my form.

I could feel it working the muscle differently, but not like I was hoping... then I got home and looked at your pics to find out my form was wrong.

First impression: I liked them, but was probably doing them wrong... it felt like I was putting more emphasis on my delt rather than my bicep (that's probably because I was).

I'll be doing these again this weekend and will give another report. Thanks for the new (to me!) bicep movement!

datBtrue

datBtrue

Awards
  • Established
Overhead Cable Curls

They are called Overhead Cable Curls.

I invented them bro! My name is Mr. Overhead :woohoo:

Here is the T-Nation article "Exercises You've Never Tried #17" ...the third exercise down describes them "Overhead Cable Curls, Seated"
http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=06-044-training

There are variations such as those where you lie on a bench... here is a BB guide of cable curls... note the "High Cable Curls" & "Lying Close-Grip Bar Curl On High Pulley".
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.php?Equip=Cable&MainMuscle=Biceps

If I or you spent a few more seconds w/ Google I'd (you'd) find references to short-people doing them standing.

So bro it is great to be enthusiastic but to think you invented these is a little egotistical...

..."The Sears Curl" c'mon guy!

northswell101

northswell101

Awards
Great thread. I had been wondering the same about the lower vs upper bicep and why only the lower part seemed to be pumped. Thanks for the new exercise (even though it seems it isn't so new) it's new to me. Definatly will be using it.

MrSquat

Awards
Well let me start off with saying that I have yet to see anyone do this exercise (in the gym or magazine). And because I haven't heard of it before, i decided to name it after myself, or until a proper reference to a name is given.

during my last bicep training session this week, i was sitting and thinking between sets. i had done barbell curls already and was working on some db hammer curls. since i am currently logging hyperpump from AMS, i was really thinking about the effects going on in my bicep.

I then realized that I always get a great pump in the "lower" portion of my bicep; were it attaches to the elbow. it was like stone at that point in the workout. and then, when i felt the portion of the bicep closer to the shoulder, it was soft. And in the past, i have thought about this, but brushed it off. I decided i wanted to try to find an angle that allowed me to focus on that portion of my bicep.

so what i found was that w/my arm raised above my head and curling my hand towards my head really focused that part of my bicep. i walked over to the cable stack and put a bent bar on the top cable spot. with my back to the cable stack, i grabbed this bent bar with a "curling grip" and lowered myself to my knees. i than began curling the weight stack from a full arm extension to the back of my head. after the first set, i knew i was on to something. even with a typically "lighter" curling weight, it made that part of my bicep pumped. i did another set, and then i had two guys come over and ask me about the exercise i was doing and why.

this is my description of the Sears Curl. is it just me, or has anyone seen/doing this?
Hate to say it but I have been doing this on a lat pulldown for 3 years. I did it out of laziness because after some triceps work I used to do ezcurls from a seated position so I couldn't cheat. Overhead takes the back right out of the equation and provided the only pivot is at the elbow, there is pure bicep isolation.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I will have to try this lat pull down version on my next bi's day. I have no problems calling it a Sears Curl since this thread is the first time I've seen it.

We'll see how it goes.

MrSquat

Awards
I will have to try this lat pull down version on my next bi's day. I have no problems calling it a Sears Curl since this thread is the first time I've seen it.

We'll see how it goes.
Just sit facing away from the stack. Personally I use a W attachment (or whatever it's called) but I found that I had to go a lot lighter than I expected. Call it a sears curl...I just wanted a name to use for it.