Everything & Anything DC!!!!!!!!!!

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I decided to start a thread just for DC training. So lets post info and whatever questions you have about it to better understand. So here we go!....

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ill start with a question. How do you know if you are really improving unless you are keeping track of warm up sets? I mean one day workout 1a could be stronger than the next 1a workout because warmups were lighter or less sets....i dont think ive seen people record warmups right, or do you? Do you know what i mean?

mfbb

mfbb

Awards
  • Established
haha i dunno if it has that much importance...i just do normal non-exhausting warmups and the only set that counts are the ones to failure

DC said that the warm ups should have no impact on the one work set

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ill start with a question. How do you know if you are really improving unless you are keeping track of warm up sets? I mean one day workout 1a could be stronger than the next 1a workout because warmups were lighter or less sets....i dont think ive seen people record warmups right, or do you? Do you know what i mean?
I don't train DC, but do warm-ups..

I don't think there's really much point in logging warmups because the point of a warm-up is to remind your body how to execute the motion, get the blood flowing to those particular muscles, and all without really 'working' the muscle as to affect your work set.

I'm gonna use hockey as an example (deal with it):
Before a hockey game I like to take shots on the net during the warm-up (as most players do). Shelfing it top corner during warm ups isn't going to put points up on the scoreboard, but it helps the player remind his body of the coordination needed to put the puck in hard to reach spots in the goal. This helps him to be better prepared during the game when the goals actually count. Warm up sets are more of a mental thing than a physical thing.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
yea, warmups are basically to get the blood flowing and stretch the muscle fiber a little...in DC training you should not be using any kind of weight that feels like your are working the muscle during warmup sets.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Yeap. I concur with the above.

Next question..lol

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeap. I concur with the above.

Next question..lol
What are some examples of "extreme stretching"? Do you do these after the entire workout, after each working set, or after each individual set?

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
What are some examples of "extreme stretching"? Do you do these after the entire workout, after each working set, or after each individual set?
Well you can do them after each excersise is completed, or after a group of excersises.. I usually do Chest, Shoulders, tris.. Then stretch those, then do back width, and thickness. But allot of people stretch after each.

Extreme Stretching:

Extreme Chest Stretch:
It’s basically the bottom position of a flat bench fly held for 60-90 seconds with your sternum pushed up and out with your lungs full of air. Bring the dumbbells into the armpits and concentrate on getting your elbows as low as possible while forcing your chest upward. Your palms should be facing your pecs like they are when you do flys. Lay on the bench with your ass off of it which forces your chest to raise up even more causing even more of a stretch. The higher you force your chest up with oxygen and by pushing it up and up. I use around 70lb dumbbells but start it off with something comfortable like 40-50lbs until you get 60-90 seconds then go up. The key is to keep the dumbbells about shoulder width and drop your elbows downward and keep your chest high. Here is a pic of how the stretch should look.

Extreme Shoulder Stretch:
This will take a couple times to really get the hang of it. At a smith machine with the bar at chest level face away from it and reach back and grab the bar with an undergrip. Now slowly walk forward until you are up on your heels and it really starts to stretch. At this point roll your shoulders forward and downward like in the bottom position of a shrug. Hold for 60 seconds if you can, you will feel it in your shoulders, biceps and forearms if you do it right. But it will really hurt up in the front delt area. Again here is a pic of how the stretch will look.

Extreme Triceps Stretch:

This is basically a one arm dumbbell extension behind head seated. You can either sit on a flat bench with a barbell in rack pressing against your back to keep you upright, or a seated bench that has a short back. Your elbow is upward, back, and the dumbbell goes downward for 60-90 seconds. Push the dumbbell down with the back of your head if you can and lean back slightly. I would start with something comfortable like 40lbs. Here is another pic to help see how to do it.

Extreme Back Stretch:

Normally the stretching and statics during rack chins stretch it out enough, but if you do want to stretch it just hang from a chin-up bar with the widest grip possible and a dumbbell attached to your weight belt. Hang for as long as possible until you just cant stand it anymore, make sure you use straps during this stretch if you do it at all. The key during this stretch is to lean barely backwards and really flare out your lats while hanging.

Biceps and Forearm Stretch:

Stretch out forearms and biceps by facing away from a power rack reaching both arms back to the barbell which is around shoulder height with an over grip (opposite grip as the shoulder stretch – palms facing down). Now squat down slightly and hold for 45-60 seconds.

Hamstrings Stretch:

One set of stiff legged dead lifts with light weights (maybe 25-35lbs on each side of the bar) going as deep as you can and pausing down the bottom for 10 seconds for 6 reps. If you are really flexible, widen your grip so you have an even greater range of motion.

Quad Stretch:
BY FAR THE MOST PAINFULL STRETCH!!
FACE THE SIDE OF A POWER RACK AND SINK DOWN IN A SQUAT ONTO YOUR TIPPY TOES--HOLDING BOTH SIDES OF THE POWER RACK UPRIGHTS WITH YOUR HANDS--NOW SIMULTANEOUSLY STRETCH YOUR KNEES FORWARD AND A LITTLE BIT DOWNWARD UNTIL THE STRETCH REACHES THE PAIN LEVEL--TRY TO STAY THERE FOR 60-90 SECONDS (I KNOW ITS PAINFULL)
Face the side of a power rack and sink down in a squat onto your tip toes holding both sides of the power rack uprights with your hands. Now stretch your knees forward and a little bit downward until the stretch reaches the pain level. Try to stay there for 60-90 seconds.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
For your quad's stretch, I have an alternative idea (this was taught to me by a pro hockey player).

-Kneel with both knees on the ground.

-Lean back so that your supporting your weight on your hands.

-Push with your glutes to push your pelvis forward (like you're gonna start humping an imaginary goat) until your feel your quadriceps begin to stretch and hold it there.

rxp1997

rxp1997

Awards
  • Established
i didn't think the warmups were meant to track your progress, it's the final balls-to-the-wall set that matters (in terms of tracking progress). That being said, I do record all my warmups, try to get 3, sometimes 4 warmups sets and spread the weight evenly across the warmups. Depending on the exercise, I will warm up with 4/6/8/10 or 12 reps, but my idea is to never push the warmup set(s) as i want plenty of steam left for the work set.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
There's another Hamstring stretch as well...do you have the photo?

If not I can probably get it tonight...

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The lat stretch is f*cking awesome. I love doing that after my back workouts.

Groin stretches are also great. I sometimes do butterflys in my livingroom, it feels so good it's better than coffee.

scorpiond

Awards
I have a question regarding the stretches shown above that are emphasized in the DC program. Are they intended to prevent soreness, injury, etc. or do they claim the stretches help with growth and strength? btw, I did research this subject somewhat but didn't find a clear answer. Thanks in advance for the help

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
The stretches are definitely intended to assist growth.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I have a question regarding the stretches shown above that are emphasized in the DC program. Are they intended to prevent soreness, injury, etc. or do they claim the stretches help with growth and strength? btw, I did research this subject somewhat but didn't find a clear answer. Thanks in advance for the help
I would say all of the above.

nycste

nycste

Awards
  • Established
just finished 2a. only got 13reps on the squat widomakers hah dammit

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
All of the above to answer the last question. In addition it tricks your body in thinking you have muscle memory. Its like a secret way of giving yourself muscle memory to get bigger, even if you dotn have the muscle memory. Does that make sense

bulls**t

bulls**t

Awards
  • Established
The upper body stretches look like they come with a significant potential of shoulder impingement.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I just wanted to share that i like DC approach to diet. I have only actually counted every calorie and stuck to ratio's for a few months straight then i said fck it. I never wanted to say it for fear of being looked down upon as a slacker or whatever but i just dont write down cals or stick to set diets. I do however know what im eating and its nutritional facts. I watch my intake of certain things and based on activity adjust accordingly. I just make sure i keep protien high. This is what DC follows. I just dont have room in my head or daily lifestyle to stick to and keep track calorie for calorie of what i eat. I feel eating healthy and by "feel" is suffiecient.

mfbb

mfbb

Awards
  • Established
yessir...i'm leaning out real nice and putting on mass naturally using the DC diet principles. I'm also not combining carbs and fats in the same meal and dropping my carbs on my off days and upping the fat

rxp1997

rxp1997

Awards
  • Established
what are the "approved" shoulder exercises? I currently do Smith military press, Hammer Strength shoulder press and Smith behind neck press. I have maxed out on the behind neck press and changing it to a seated cable press that simulates DB presses ( the DBs get too heavy for me to swing them up on my own). I am close to maxing out the other two movements so I was looking for approved variations.

thanks.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
what are the "approved" shoulder exercises? I currently do Smith military press, Hammer Strength shoulder press and Smith behind neck press. I have maxed out on the behind neck press and changing it to a seated cable press that simulates DB presses ( the DBs get too heavy for me to swing them up on my own). I am close to maxing out the other two movements so I was looking for approved variations.

thanks.
im sure those are fine.

rxp1997

rxp1997

Awards
  • Established
thnx pp. are there other approved shoulder exercises? I remember there wasn't anything for the rear delts

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i know i havent seen anything for rear delts. i just did rear delt flyes today on leg/bi/forearm day...its been like 3 weeks since ive done a direct rear delt excercise.....i didnt do legs today because knee problems so i threw those in and boy did it feel good. I suppose back workouts should stimulate rear delts by DC's reasoning...

nycste

nycste

Awards
  • Established
i know i havent seen anything for rear delts. i just did rear delt flyes today on leg/bi/forearm day...its been like 3 weeks since ive done a direct rear delt excercise.....i didnt do legs today because knee problems so i threw those in and boy did it feel good. I suppose back workouts should stimulate rear delts by DC's reasoning...
i know i havent done rear delts in a while too

but all slow negatives 2/4 seconds which we should be doing stimulate all small muscles like rear delts to the max when doing anything involding shoulder. thats just my theory and thoughts.

but yea i miss doing rear delt work it always burns and feels great

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Dc Trainign says Barbell rows and Deads hit R delts effectively enough

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
i guess this isnt working.....oh well
Wow don't give up so soon dood. I only just found this thread!

I log everything, I built myself an excel spreadsheet and it has 4 -5 boxes for 2 warm up 3 working sets.

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
For your quad's stretch, I have an alternative idea (this was taught to me by a pro hockey player).

-Kneel with both knees on the ground.

-Lean back so that your supporting your weight on your hands.

-Push with your glutes to push your pelvis forward (like you're gonna start humping an imaginary goat) until your feel your quadriceps begin to stretch and hold it there.
I have no idea here, pics please

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
I broke down the diet info for you guys for easy assimilation and to have it here in the thread:

Diet Philosophy:

Fat Sources:

Omega-3's (flaxseeds) | Extra virgin olive oils (mono unsaturated fat)--118 calories per tablespoon.

Protocol / Dosing:
2-3 tablespoons in shakes Morning / Afternoon - *Note* not in the post workout or bedtime ones (self explanatory). Adjust / increase dose slowly or toilet time!

Standard Ratio Breakdowns:
High protein/ Moderate (good) fats/ Low to moderate carbs

"I eat the amount of protein grams I want to ingest first and if its before 6-7pm I satisfy the rest of my hunger with carbs. If I go to McDonalds I'll blast as many hamburgers as I can and skip the fries (laughing) but true. After 6-7pm I will go high protein and trace to low carbs (example huge steak and a lot of a vegetable but no rice, pasta or bread)."

Comments:

• Count Protein Intake NOT Calories
  • Weigh Once A Month If No Gain Then Added Olive Oil / Mono Unsat / Flax / Extra Carbs Here or There.
  • If Can't Eat Anymore Or Gain Up Olive Oil / Mono's
  • Work way up to 2 - 4 Tbs Olive Oil In Shakes

Eating:

• Eat Protein First
  • Add Flax / Olive oil if it allows, protein drinks etc and before 6pm
  • Finally Eat Carbs to satisfy hunber pangs
  • Consume all carbs as much as you need early in the day and not after 6pm
  • If after 6pm all the Corn / Peas or Vegetables you want - No Potatoes / pasta / bread/ cereals
Cutting Diet:

Leave the training heavy and leave the diet 90% what it is. The only changes I would make are to be religiously strict with low/trace carbs after 6pm and drop dairy 6 weeks out. Let the cardio take off your body fat!

Forty five minutes at a slightly brisk walk on a treadmill first thing in the morning on an empty stomach-- on every day except leg days will do it.

Add in maybe usnic acid and a thermogenic and your going to end up inside out shredded. That's from a bodybuilding standpoint as I hate seeing someone gain 15lbs of muscle from training so hard in the off-season just to panic diet it all off trying to get ripped. In a general everyday sense for people who don't care about losing 8-20lbs of muscle mass on their way down to leanness,--cardio and a cutting diet will work faster for them. Again, the diet I prefer is high protein, moderate carbs, and moderate good fats (olive oils, flax oils, EFA's)--your stomach is always going to be full on this diet and I want it to be. A main staple of my way of doing things is cutting carbs at night.

The only carbs coming in after 5, 6, or 7pm (depending on your schedule and your meal timing) are trace carbs found in vegetables and such.

By Dante a.k.a. Doggcrapp,

oafyc

Awards
Would you guys think it is ok to turn the normal program into a 4-day split? I don't do 4-day for time reasons (the DC 4-day is a quick workout) actually I'm in college so I have tons of time during the week (most of the time) so I try to workout as often as possible.

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
I would do the program as suggested, if you're doing it like they say, you're going to love the recovery time, let me tell you!

Don't mess with it, follow it!

Much Love,

Neoborn

mountainboy

Awards
I see that the DC program is laid out for 4weeks max intensity and 1-2 weeks lighter, I just started DC training on Monday, and my PH cycle Tue.. I am going to do a 7 week cycle (at most), my question is, can I keep at max intensity w/DC training for the duration of my cycle and then go to the 1-2 week lighter intensity at the start of my PCT?

rxp1997

rxp1997

Awards
  • Established
I do 7-week blasts with 1 week recovery as it fits my on-call schedule, but it you are just starting see how you feel each week after week 4 and don't be afraid to cut your blast short. DC will be pretty intense when done right and if it is your first foray into rest/pause your CNS might get a tad overloaded.

As for your cycle, I also try to coincide mine with the start of a blast, as the first week or so after the break is a little tough and phs take a couple of weeks to really affect your workout.

not sure though, if you do a cycle that is shorter that your blast, how would it be best placed (start, middle, end of blast) ?

mountainboy

Awards
I do 7-week blasts with 1 week recovery as it fits my on-call schedule, but it you are just starting see how you feel each week after week 4 and don't be afraid to cut your blast short. DC will be pretty intense when done right and if it is your first foray into rest/pause your CNS might get a tad overloaded.

As for your cycle, I also try to coincide mine with the start of a blast, as the first week or so after the break is a little tough and phs take a couple of weeks to really affect your workout.

not sure though, if you do a cycle that is shorter that your blast, how would it be best placed (start, middle, end of blast) ?
My guess would be depending on the compound, 5 days to as long as 2 weeks before training.

nycste

nycste

Awards
  • Established
If i wanted to add full deadlifts into my routine whats the best way to sub them in.. not sure if it best to sub them in fulltime or switch them up every other week or something

since im currently doing rack deads and SLDLs

Day 1a
Incline Smith
Smith Millitary Press
Skullcrusher
Rack Chins
Rack Deads

Day 1b
DB Inc
Smith Behind the Neck Press
Close Grip Bench in Smith
Front Lat Pulldown
T-Bar Row

1c
Flat Bench
DB Shoulder Press
Reverse(close) bench in smith
Underhand Pulldown
BB or DB Rows

Day 2a
BB Curl
Hammer Curl
Calf raise
Lying Leg Curl
Squat
Squat Widowmaker

2b
Incline DB Curl
Reverse EZ Curl
Standing Calf Raise
Seated Leg Curl
Zerker
widowmaker zerkers

2c
Hammer preacher curl
1 arm reverse cable curl
Seated Calf raise
Stiff Leg Dead
Leg Press
leg press widowmakers

mountainboy

Awards
It seems to me that you have 2 lifts for mid back and the rack rows for mid/low, I'm not familiar with t-bar rows, but I know the other rows work real good, I would suggest whichever one of those 2 is less of a fav, but make sure to keep a balance i.e. rack dl, rows, dl.

beebab

beebab

Awards
  • Established
you might want to alternate full deadlifts with rack deadlifts. the whole concept behind this lil switcharoo is that by working in rack deadlifts you train your body to handle higher sums of weight, so that you can ultimately enhance your performance on the full deads.

btw, what are widowmaker squats? i've heard this word used a lot but i don't know what it means