Most common reasons for having a BAD workout

  1. Banned
    Chad's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  281 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Age
    32
    Posts
    4,605
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    46
    Lv. Percent
    51.35%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Most common reasons for having a BAD workout


    I did chest today and my strength was way down. i was putting up 115x8 for my incline db press 3 days ago and today i could only get 110x5. WHATS WRONG WITH ME???!!!!

  2. She thinks my traps'rrrr sexy!
    supersoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,204
    Rep Power
    1776
    Level
    42
    Lv. Percent
    57.32%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Sleep problems are number 1 for me.
  3. Banned
    Chad's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  281 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Age
    32
    Posts
    4,605
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    46
    Lv. Percent
    51.35%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    my sleep was good last night. maybe too good? i ALWAYS eat good and a lot. sometimes if i go tanning before i lift it sucks but today "should" have been good to go. could me deadlifting yesterday effected my chest today?
    •   
       

  4. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,546
    Rep Power
    1213213
    Level
    93
    Lv. Percent
    58.36%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Chad View Post
    my sleep was good last night. maybe too good? i ALWAYS eat good and a lot. sometimes if i go tanning before i lift it sucks but today "should" have been good to go. could me deadlifting yesterday effected my chest today?
    Possibly because of CNS fatigue.
  5. She thinks my traps'rrrr sexy!
    supersoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,204
    Rep Power
    1776
    Level
    42
    Lv. Percent
    57.32%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Yeah I deadlifted last Thursday and had a sh1t chest workout Friday.
  6. Banned
    Chad's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  281 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Age
    32
    Posts
    4,605
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    46
    Lv. Percent
    51.35%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Ok then.
  7. Registered User
    RedwolfWV's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Age
    50
    Posts
    3,258
    Rep Power
    1988
    Level
    40
    Lv. Percent
    33.48%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Sex before going to the gym. Ugh!!
  8. Banned
    Chad's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  281 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Age
    32
    Posts
    4,605
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    46
    Lv. Percent
    51.35%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by RedwolfWV View Post
    Sex before going to the gym. Ugh!!
    oh my god! NO WAY! my wife wants to sometimes but i HAVE to shoot her down. if you have no MOJO then the workout will suck.
  9. Registered User
    RedwolfWV's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Age
    50
    Posts
    3,258
    Rep Power
    1988
    Level
    40
    Lv. Percent
    33.48%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    I've always had a problem "just saying no"
  10. rollin' on dubs!
    WannaBeHulk's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  178 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Age
    30
    Posts
    923
    Rep Power
    570
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    52.83%

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Possibly because of CNS fatigue.
    that was my first instinct as well. 2 major bodyparts in back to back workouts could cause this. have you taken a day off since your last chest day?
  11. NEW product-IntrAbolic!!
    Athletic Edge N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    493
    Rep Power
    347
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    8.19%

    For me, it's usually low carb status.
  12. Banned
    Chad's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  281 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Age
    32
    Posts
    4,605
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    46
    Lv. Percent
    51.35%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by WannaBeHulk View Post
    that was my first instinct as well. 2 major bodyparts in back to back workouts could cause this. have you taken a day off since your last chest day?
    nope. might take wed off
  13. Registered User
    Iron Warrior's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    5,328
    Rep Power
    13070
    Level
    51
    Lv. Percent
    28.74%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    For me it's stress, poor nutrition, and lack of sleep that affect me. The lack of sleep is the one that happens the most.
  14. Banned
    Chad's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  281 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Age
    32
    Posts
    4,605
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    46
    Lv. Percent
    51.35%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    it sucks that the above reasons can take away so much from a workout.
  15. NutraPlanet Fanatic
    dsade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Age
    44
    Posts
    21,463
    Rep Power
    774672
    Level
    86
    Lv. Percent
    26.78%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Agreed on the stress and lack of sleep. Lack of focus is extremely detrimental to performance.
    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    BPS - Where Body meets Performance
    Flawless Skin Couture - We give you the tools to make you Flawless
  16. Professional Member
    Australian made's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  213 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,160
    Rep Power
    4322
    Level
    40
    Lv. Percent
    68.56%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    I normally do deads on thursday then chest on sat mornings. Last week did deads on thursday and chest on friday night and had the best chest workout in a long time. I was aching a little in the lower back but didn't feel it effect my chest strength at all. So erm i got know idea
  17. Board Supporter
    karategirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    301
    Rep Power
    257
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    48.65%

    Sometimes I just have bad workout days and I don't dtress about it, but realize that somthing is not right, go home and start afresh the next day.
    You can't expect perfect workouts all the time.
    The most common reasons for me to have a bad workout are:

    Hydration - I can get dehydrated without realizing it, I tend to workout for long periods at a time (3-4 hours) and its hard to replenish my fluid during that time.

    Sleep - I may have been in my bed for 8 hours, but the quality of my sleep may have equalled only 4 hours worth. Perhaps I was too hot and was tossing a turning a lot, or getting up a lot to pee (that keeping hydrated thing has its downfalls). So, you may think you had a good nights sleep, but be unaware of a restless night.

    Carbs - Not getting enough carbs can lead to terrible muscle fatigue for me. Glycogen is so important to keeping us going through workouts, and if I have not eaten properly at the right time before working out, I crash easily.

    Rest - I am probably the worst person for overtraining. But there are times when I think I am recovered because my muscles are not sore anymore, but I can't lift as much. When I give it a couple more days after the soreness subsides, I have a much better workout.

    Mood - I find that music can really change my mood. If I have a high intensity song on my ipod, I find it gives me a better workout. Lifting to a slow song makes me lift less and my workouts suck.

    Hope that helps.
  18. Elite Member
    bioman's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Age
    42
    Posts
    7,711
    Rep Power
    513543
    Level
    59
    Lv. Percent
    88.88%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Poor nutrient timing..ie not timing pre WO meals and shakes right.
  19. Banned
    Chad's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  281 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Age
    32
    Posts
    4,605
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    46
    Lv. Percent
    51.35%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by karategirl View Post
    Sometimes I just have bad workout days and I don't dtress about it, but realize that somthing is not right, go home and start afresh the next day.
    You can't expect perfect workouts all the time.
    The most common reasons for me to have a bad workout are:

    Hydration - I can get dehydrated without realizing it, I tend to workout for long periods at a time (3-4 hours) and its hard to replenish my fluid during that time.

    Sleep - I may have been in my bed for 8 hours, but the quality of my sleep may have equalled only 4 hours worth. Perhaps I was too hot and was tossing a turning a lot, or getting up a lot to pee (that keeping hydrated thing has its downfalls). So, you may think you had a good nights sleep, but be unaware of a restless night.

    Carbs - Not getting enough carbs can lead to terrible muscle fatigue for me. Glycogen is so important to keeping us going through workouts, and if I have not eaten properly at the right time before working out, I crash easily.

    Rest - I am probably the worst person for overtraining. But there are times when I think I am recovered because my muscles are not sore anymore, but I can't lift as much. When I give it a couple more days after the soreness subsides, I have a much better workout.

    Mood - I find that music can really change my mood. If I have a high intensity song on my ipod, I find it gives me a better workout. Lifting to a slow song makes me lift less and my workouts suck.

    Hope that helps.
    very very good points. thanks.
  20. Banned
    Chad's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  281 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Age
    32
    Posts
    4,605
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    46
    Lv. Percent
    51.35%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by bioman View Post
    Poor nutrient timing..ie not timing pre WO meals and shakes right.
    i think that might have a lot to do with it. i always stress about not eating to much before the gym. like no food for over 2 hours before because of my pre workout cocktails. but to be honest the best chest day i had was last week and i had something to eat like 30 min before the gym.
  21. Registered User
    Iron Warrior's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    5,328
    Rep Power
    13070
    Level
    51
    Lv. Percent
    28.74%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Chad View Post
    i think that might have a lot to do with it. i always stress about not eating to much before the gym. like no food for over 2 hours before because of my pre workout cocktails. but to be honest the best chest day i had was last week and i had something to eat like 30 min before the gym.
    I feel like a shake of whey and oats is a good substitute 30 minutes before your workout because you won't have that crazy full stomach feeling and you'll have a nutritious pre workout shake to keep you going through the workout. I use 2 scoops of whjey, 1 cup of oats and I blend them in 2 cups of water with ice cubes.
  22. Registered User
    somewhatgifted's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4,390
    Rep Power
    2337
    Level
    45
    Lv. Percent
    13.77%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Could have to do with your tri/shoulder situation, they might be fatigued and or recovering. You might be fighting off an illness that never came to be, as your body was kiling it off.
    Your hormones might be slightly fluctuating, Cns fatigue as stated, maybe your distracted by thinking your weaker, and maybe the wrong song was playing in the gym. Maybe in your mind you were thinking about something negative that instead of motivating you , made you weak by comparison. Im realising outlook is huge in every aspect of positive advancement.
  23. Recovering AXoholic
    thesinner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    10,063
    Rep Power
    11892
    Level
    62
    Lv. Percent
    27.06%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Some days we just simply don't bring out "A" game. Think of it like losing a sports event against a rivaled opponent, best thing to do is shake it off, kick ass next time, and shove it in their face. (That just gave me a mental image of Chad talking smack to a pair of 115lb dumbbells lying near a bench.)
    Athletic Xtreme Rep
    Bob@athleticxtreme.com
    IFFI
    Ask me about the Athletic Xtreme Product Line
  24. Registered User
    CRUNCH's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  252 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,168
    Rep Power
    715
    Level
    26
    Lv. Percent
    28.38%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Lots of things and those already mentioned. Poor sleep for one or more nights, stress from work or a fight with my wife (that really throws me off), mental fatigue, overtraining, diet, having my mind elsewhere (not focused). It could be an endless list.

    Sometimes you just have to go with the flow like thesinner mentioned. Don't stress over a bad workout too much. If they start coming more frequently, then you'll really need to take a look at what you're doing/not doing.
  25. She thinks my traps'rrrr sexy!
    supersoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,204
    Rep Power
    1776
    Level
    42
    Lv. Percent
    57.32%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by somewhatgifted View Post
    Your hormones might be slightly fluctuating,
    Yeah, just a little...
  26. rollin' on dubs!
    WannaBeHulk's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  178 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Age
    30
    Posts
    923
    Rep Power
    570
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    52.83%

    its also important to recognize these days that you arent feeling as strong as normal. M & M features an article that addresses this scenario. it is recommended to change up your training style on these days and emphasizes focus on other aspects besides strength. the following is cited from Tim Wescott's Muscle Confusion artcle:

    "If a heavy weight feels extra heavy on a particular day, or if even your warm-up poundages are tough, simply lower poundages and rest less between sets, these shorter rest periods, coupled with the use of use drop sets and triple drop-sets, X-Reps, Super-Sets, or some other intensity techniques thrown in, will ensure that even though your energy levels are low, or you didnít get much sleep the night before, or whatever the variable is thatís contributing to you feeling a bit off, you still have a good and a productive training session in spite of it. So on our third day of training for the week, we may not go as heavy as we might have hoped to, but we still get in a good productive workout!

    We all have bad days, but we do not have to have bad workouts, just some that are perhaps a bit better than others!"
  27. Banned
    Chad's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  281 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Age
    32
    Posts
    4,605
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    46
    Lv. Percent
    51.35%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by thesinner View Post
    Some days we just simply don't bring out "A" game. Think of it like losing a sports event against a rivaled opponent, best thing to do is shake it off, kick ass next time, and shove it in their face. (That just gave me a mental image of Chad talking smack to a pair of 115lb dumbbells lying near a bench.)
    HAHAHA yeah i do talk $hit to heavy DB before a set.
    " you little mother@#$%ers!!! you better stay up there till i say so!!!"
  28. Recovering AXoholic
    thesinner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    10,063
    Rep Power
    11892
    Level
    62
    Lv. Percent
    27.06%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    It's when they start talking back that you need to start worrying.
    Athletic Xtreme Rep
    Bob@athleticxtreme.com
    IFFI
    Ask me about the Athletic Xtreme Product Line
  29. Registered User
    CRUNCH's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  252 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,168
    Rep Power
    715
    Level
    26
    Lv. Percent
    28.38%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by thesinner View Post
    It's when they start talking back that you need to start worrying.
    Thank god it's not just me!! My 120's called me a pvssy yesterday! That was the second time too!
  30. Registered User
    RedwolfWV's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Age
    50
    Posts
    3,258
    Rep Power
    1988
    Level
    40
    Lv. Percent
    33.48%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Dumbells talking to dumbells!


  31. Registered User
    CRUNCH's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  252 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,168
    Rep Power
    715
    Level
    26
    Lv. Percent
    28.38%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by RedwolfWV View Post
    Dumbells talking to dumbells!


    Hey! That wasn't funny!!








  32. New Member
    SMOKEPALADIN's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  188 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Age
    40
    Posts
    313
    Rep Power
    263
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    50%

    HAHAHA yeah i do talk $hit to heavy DB before a set.
    " you little mother@#$%ers!!! you better stay up there till i say so!!!"
    LOL

    Poor sleep quality and bad meal timing are workout killers for me.
    Also if somebody is trying to talk my ear off and breaks my momentum, I usually train HST at a high pace.
  33. Banned
    Chad's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  281 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Age
    32
    Posts
    4,605
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    46
    Lv. Percent
    51.35%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUNCH View Post
    Thank god it's not just me!! My 120's called me a pvssy yesterday! That was the second time too!
    hahahaha.
  34. Banned
    meb019's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    28
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    5
    Lv. Percent
    13.41%

    every now and then i have a crappy workout. its generally the result of any number of things. sometimes i just have a bad day, so cortisol kicks in and i feel stressed. lifting usually helps me brighten up, but if i have a bad lift, cant do as much as i hope to, overtrain, i get even more depressed.
    i wouldnt worry tho.
  35. New Member
    mfbb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Age
    28
    Posts
    402
    Rep Power
    295
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    28.84%

    i feel like thinking about the workout too much fcks me up...i have a lot of ****ty shoulder and chest workouts bc I always think about trying to press insane weight like 3 days before the workout...

    when i have a sH*tty workout I just do lighter weight higher reps and REALLY focus on form...that seems to work out pretty well for me
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Most RIDICULOUS story for not having PCT ready... NEED ADVISE
    By sandman24 in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 07-03-2010, 11:41 PM
  2. Most Common Diet For Losing Weight and Bulking Muscles
    By michaelpc29 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-13-2009, 08:37 PM
  3. Don't kill me for having used this....
    By Lifeguard in forum Supplements
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 02-20-2005, 10:49 AM
  4. most cutting sup for money...
    By Jay Mc in forum Supplements
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-02-2003, 02:01 PM
  5. Yet another reason for your omega's (Lupus)
    By jweave23 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-11-2003, 01:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in