squats

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. squats


    i was squatting (the bar) in the gym few days back and i was going a little past parallel.
    in the middle of my set when i was near rep number 5ish some guy stares at me comes over and says to only go 90 because my knees will buckle.
    now i know i should ignore people who say to only go 90, but i did notice my knees were kinda buckling when i go below parallel, so what can i do to decrease buckling? im pretty sure i can still go below parallel though, righT?

    thanks


  2. the ab/adductors will help you with that. ignore the guy, too many guys in the gym talk the talk but dont walk the walk

  3. oh haha i see ok thanks yea the good girl/ bad girl machines haha
    •   
       


  4. Quote Originally Posted by khan8
    oh haha i see ok thanks yea the good girl/ bad girl machines haha
    hahaha best description ever!
    cc

  5. haha i didnt make it up guyfromkop referred to em as that lol

  6. everyone knows the good girl/bad girl machines

  7. I can't go past parallel because of my knees.

    If you don't have joint issues though - do it carefully.

    Good form always.

  8. Ya, good form and working your way up with the weight. Also, if you're a big legged guy, going below 90 can put stress on the knees you don't want.

  9. what's worse is if you're 6'3" and going past parallel. I don't think us tall guys have it very easy other than maybe pulling with our long limbs.

  10. Yeah, that's a pain too. I think ataying at 90 or slightly higher, won't kill ya.

  11. actually a lot of knee issues come from form problems, if your knees go past your toes when you are down in the hole it puts major strain on your knee joints. if you can go below parallel, do it, once you go past parallel the gluts and hammies play more of a role and everything works together. video taping yourself when you squat is a major eye opening experience, i personally tape myself every squat work to make sure i keep form.

    and having big legs is a MAJOR pain in the a$$ when trying to get below parallel, my thighs are 32"s and it's not easy

  12. I have found this to be a great article on squatting and may help you with your knee problem. It is written by Dave Tate from WSB: Squat 900 Pounds

  13. Thanks! Great article.


    :good:


    We need a squating smilie



    Quote Originally Posted by bearmeat
    I have found this to be a great article on squatting and may help you with your knee problem. It is written by Dave Tate from WSB: Squat 900 Pounds

  14. Quote Originally Posted by guyfromkop2
    and having big legs is a MAJOR pain in the a$$ when trying to get below parallel, my thighs are 32"s and it's not easy
    I feel your pain. I'm 5'6" with 27" thighs and it sucks trying to get below parallel (as little as I have to squat down ).

  15. Quote Originally Posted by Ronin13
    We need a squating smilie
    :squat: :squat: :squat: :squat:


  16. Like mentioned above, if you don't have joint issues then go past parallel.

    I, myself, go ass to grass with squats.

  17. yea im six foot two lanky so squats suck
    especially with a weak core i have to squat the damn bar

  18. I usually do a really deep set during warmup, but If I try to go ATG with anything over 300lbs it feels like my knees are going to explode. I work hard to get a tight arch and keep my butt back too. Ill usually hit parallel or a little below.

    BV

  19. Quote Originally Posted by khan8
    yea im six foot two lanky so squats suck
    especially with a weak core i have to squat the damn bar
    lol I squat 85 lbs. Don't feel bad. I think I would have a hard time squatting bodyweight without a bar. Legs are my weakest point but that's just more motivation to assassinate them on Leg day


  20. Arse to the grass is the only way to squat If somebody tells me I'm squatting to deep (which doesn't happen very often once you can pile a bunch of weight on the bar) I ask 'em if they bench all the way to their chest? cause that can be bad for your elbows. I understand it's not possible for some but if your capable why would you apply stress to your knees by stopping half way in the movement and only work part of your legs, full motion squats will develop your legs much better then half squats!
    I only would give crap to those 10-25% or 1/4 squaters though!:squat:

  21. Quote Originally Posted by Basso
    I ask 'em if they bench all the way to their chest? cause that can be bad for your elbows.
    Really? I never bring the bar all the way down but I stop about 2 inches above my chest. I try to keep the tension thru most of the motion but I always hear people saying to do the full motion and bring it down to your chest..

  22. I was just trying to be sarcastic

  23. How dare you question Basso's sarcasm and make him explain himself!?!?!?!?

  24. Thanks Moyer!

    Was this always available? I coudn't find it the other day... must have been too early for my brain to completely function.




    Quote Originally Posted by Moyer
    :squat: :squat: :squat: :squat:


  25. Quote Originally Posted by Basso
    Arse to the grass is the only way to squat If somebody tells me I'm squatting to deep (which doesn't happen very often once you can pile a bunch of weight on the bar) I ask 'em if they bench all the way to their chest? cause that can be bad for your elbows. I understand it's not possible for some but if your capable why would you apply stress to your knees by stopping half way in the movement and only work part of your legs, full motion squats will develop your legs much better then half squats!
    I only would give crap to those 10-25% or 1/4 squaters though!:squat:


    Bump, ATG squats have developed my legs better than when I use to go parallel. It sucks though being 6'3" 6'4ish, seems like it is forever going down and coming up.

  26. Yeh...what he said! (insert sarcasm)

  27. the day i can ATG squat 135 for 10 reps is when my legs will be tree trunks.

  28. Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawkk
    How dare you question Basso's sarcasm and make him explain himself!?!?!?!?
    I apologize Master
    I am not worthy

    Quote Originally Posted by khan8
    the day i can ATG squat 135 for 10 reps is when my legs will be tree trunks.
    lol same here

  29. What are you squating now and how far to you go down?

    Quote Originally Posted by khan8
    the day i can ATG squat 135 for 10 reps is when my legs will be tree trunks.

  30. i go parallel, on the first couple reps a little below but usually parallel that way i can get around 7 reps and i squat the bar

  31. Keep it up man and it will all pay off sooner than later.



    Quote Originally Posted by khan8
    i go parallel, on the first couple reps a little below but usually parallel that way i can get around 7 reps and i squat the bar

  32. what are your stats khan8?

  33. what do you mean stats?
    like how much i weigh and stuff?

  34. age 15
    weight 146 (150 last week until i lost 4-5 pounds this damn week)
    1 RM bench: right now probably 120
    squat: i dunno i squat the bar
    deadlift: i deadlift 85 but its painful (see "this is rediculous" thread)
    bb curl; no max but i rep 5 each sid of the EZ bar
    skulls: same as curls

    uhh anything else?

  35. Stick with it, be diligent about your diet and you will grow.

    Quote Originally Posted by khan8
    age 15
    weight 146 (150 last week until i lost 4-5 pounds this damn week)
    1 RM bench: right now probably 120
    squat: i dunno i squat the bar
    deadlift: i deadlift 85 but its painful (see "this is rediculous" thread)
    bb curl; no max but i rep 5 each sid of the EZ bar
    skulls: same as curls

    uhh anything else?

  36. Quote Originally Posted by khan8
    i go parallel, on the first couple reps a little below but usually parallel that way i can get around 7 reps and i squat the bar
    Keep it up, starting right will take you farther, faster then following the crowd.

    Story time: When I was 21 I was exposed to some real lifters for the first time in my life, and these did squats. I looked down at my chicken legs and realized that I could probably bench double what I could squat so I started squating. Had absolutely no idea what I was doing, I even used Ace bandages around my knees to emulate the other lifters, but I made progress and after a year my squat equaled my bench. Then one day a guy approaced me, he was about 5'6" 180lbs (he had a 600+ to the grass squat) and he told me I was doing it all wrong. For the next 2 years we became partners (mentor/student accually). My squat went from 315x5 to 135x6, but within the next 2 years I entered my first meet and got green lights with 525lbs.

    The moral of my little tale is you can do something wrong make a little progress, or you can do it right and make a lot of progress! BTW my legs blew up in those 2 years, and I looked stupid with huge thighs and little upper body, oh yeh deep squats work!
    :bb:

  37. Quote Originally Posted by khan8
    age 15
    weight 146 (150 last week until i lost 4-5 pounds this damn week)
    1 RM bench: right now probably 120
    squat: i dunno i squat the bar
    deadlift: i deadlift 85 but its painful (see "this is rediculous" thread)
    bb curl; no max but i rep 5 each sid of the EZ bar
    skulls: same as curls
    bro...stop whining like you're the only one that's weak

    j/k but seriously...

    take a look @ my journal lol im on the same boat you are.
    BUMP to what Ronin said, it's hard at first but it's all about routine. You'll start growing a bit even if you're diet isnt all that great but IMO your body will ask you for more food and little by little you'll find yourself eating more and it actually being fairly easy to stuff your face.(at least this is how it is for me)

    I just started coming off of antibiotics from a surgery I had a while back but the doc has lowered my dosage little by little so I should be done with it by the end of this week (Sunday).

    I noticed you don't have a log....why don't you start 1 up next week?

    It's all about consistency bro! good luck!

  38. whats a log?
    my ****ing rotator cuffs are weak so i can barely do anything compound for upper

  39. I promise if you perform these exercises, you will notice a significant difference.



    Quote Originally Posted by khan8
    whats a log?
    my ****ing rotator cuffs are weak so i can barely do anything compound for upper
    Attached Files Attached Files
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Squating problems b/c of knee & other problems - help
    By gettin'old in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-15-2011, 02:25 PM
  2. Bench/Squat max
    By ChaseRoy in forum General Chat
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 08-18-2009, 01:41 PM
  3. Squats
    By workinit in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-22-2003, 07:26 PM
  4. squats and deads, placement in split?
    By dbag333 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-10-2003, 04:53 PM
  5. What does it mean if, when doing squats, your lower back hurts?
    By JohnGafnea in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-09-2003, 01:52 AM
Log in
Log in