Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.92%

Quote Originally Posted by Porty View Post
    though the machine is by far more popular, hack-squats are pretty common IMO

i thought i'd add a few to this great thread, though I didn't make these exercises up I rarely see people doing them.

Flex Lewis' Steering Wheels (plate twist?):
    Basically you just hold a 45 Plate out at arms length and pretend you're steering "right" then "left," alternating directions. I can't seem to find the video where Flex is teaching this to Gaspari. I get some great deltoid activation.

Renegade Rows:
    Grab a couple of hexagonal dumbbells and set-up to do push-ups off of them. You then alternate 1 arm dumbbell rows as you complete push-up reps. Supposedly great for the core. Though I haven't gotten around to incorporating these into my routine, I intend to do them some day....

Behind the Back Smith Machine Shrugs
    From the many pictures I've seen, and a few articles I've read, the barbell version of this was iconic of Lee Haney. I really, really like the Smith Machine version and it's a staple for my traps now.

When I think of more I'll give this a good bump
    NICE!!!
    I use all of these and they all work fantastic. Great addition!
    Rike

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.24%

For side delts, I'll set up an incline bench at 40 degrees and lay on my side. I use 15 to 20lb dumbells and perform side lateral raises. They really hit the side delts good and keep your from swaying or jerking the weight up as you would with seated or standing lateral raises.
    Stats
    5'11"  287 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.67%

I roll myself into a ball and try to suck my own weener. I cant actually do it but i feel major DOMS in my lower back and neck the next day so im pretty sure the muscles are growing.
    •   

4. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.56%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by BestFriendTim View Post
    I roll myself into a ball and try to suck my own weener. I cant actually do it but i feel major DOMS in my lower back and neck the next day so im pretty sure the muscles are growing.
    "I am legally blind and if I can Squat,deadlift and over all get myself to the gym then anyone can get their a$$ in gear and get strong!!" - malleus25
    WHITE WHALE!
  5. Banned
    Stats
    5'11"  233 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.55%

Quote Originally Posted by BestFriendTim View Post
    This queer is giving me a bad rep...
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  188 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91.14%
    Achievements Posting Pro

On shoulders day I added in a kinda of seated uppercut lift with sum 15's that will tear apart shoulders,traps and lats, i can get up to 30's but you start swinging and throwing it instead of slow controlled movements.
  7. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  179 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.13%

Quote Originally Posted by lyfespan View Post
    On shoulders day I added in a kinda of seated uppercut lift with sum 15's that will tear apart shoulders,traps and lats, i can get up to 30's but you start swinging and throwing it instead of slow controlled movements.
    I've been doing Larry Scott's way of DB presses. Hits delts like I've never felt before. You can see them on Youtube.
  8. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.86%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Decline rolling tricep extensions
    Decline JM press

I use dumbbells for both great triceps exercises. Also

Incline/flat/decline presses on a stablility ball, make sure it's a quality one and don't skimp on the weight try these with 120's and get back to me lol
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  198 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.75%

I created a real great bicep burn excercise:

take a pair of ropes on a cable machine. The ropes one would normally use to down tricep pull downs. But instead of having them up top, if your machine has it, put them on the bottom and pull up on them with both hands in a curl.

Once there, get to a weight where you can do roughly 5-6. Do those 5, then lower the weight one plate with only a 5-10 second break and do every plate to fatigue. Keep doing this until there you're down to an unbenficial weight. For me it's like 15 pounds.

I've found that this really builds a lot of volume, gets great blood flow going there as well completely breaks them down. It makes for a fantastic burn at the end of a good bicep routine. Two sets and YOU'RE arms are DONE!

*now I also have tweaked it a little more as well. There are three ways in which I'll curl the weight to hit different angles.

1. typical curl where the hands come up to the chin.
    2. A short pump where the weight goes up to the middle of my chest.
    3. I rotate my arms out at a 45 degree angle, almost as if you were putting your arms at your side with fist on hips, sort of like a superman stance. Then do them that way as well.

I also do the same scenario in reverse on tricep day. I do some small pumps and full pumps for those as well alternating the angle a bit. I never work bi's and tri's on the same day. It congest blood flow in the arm, which isn't good.

Throw this into your routine once and try it. It's amazing, but like anything else, keep your body guessing and don't do it every time.
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  152 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    97.5%

i have a lift thats best incorporated in a full body plan. you pick an olympic barbell from the floor, shrug it and then bring it to your shoulders like a hang clean, do a front squat and as you come up from the squat military press and then behind the neck press. then bring the bar back to your shoulders, front squat and then do the presses again.
  11. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  183 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    40.74%

Well a couple of years ago I lost my right arm in a motorcycle wreck, so I do alot of unique lifts that not many people do. And the thing is that I see myself really growing from doing these ... just wished i did them more often before the wreck.

One arm Swings
    One arm Snatches
    One arm deadlifts
    Using the standing calf raise machine for shoulder shrugs

I do alot of leg workouts and really focus and have fun with squats, leg presses, and lunges.
  12. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.49%

I do one arm dumb bell press, its good for working your core. Also do some heavy rack bench where its about 6 inches from your chest just explode up on it, great for building some power!
  13. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.86%

Barbell hip thrusts: get between two benchs with only your upper back on the one and the arches of your feet on the edge of the other, let your body sink down into a V then thrust up. Start with bodyweight to get a feel for it and squeeze the **** out of your hams and glutes, then you can slowly add weight across your hips. If you don't have a reverse hyper or glute ham raise then you should be doing these.
  14. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.84%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by CHAPS View Post
    Barbell hip thrusts: get between two benchs with only your upper back on the one and the arches of your feet on the edge of the other, let your body sink down into a V then thrust up. Start with bodyweight to get a feel for it and squeeze the **** out of your hams and glutes, then you can slowly add weight across your hips. If you don't have a reverse hyper or glute ham raise then you should be doing these.
    Got a video?

I am not sure but I may pull my hamstrings on glute ham raises, think its happen twice now.
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness
  15. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.86%

Quote Originally Posted by smeton_yea View Post
    Got a video?

I am not sure but I may pull my hamstrings on glute ham raises, think its happen twice now.
    Here ya go off of youtube:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7ZhzBoCHi4"]YouTube- DeFrancosGym.com - Exercise Index: Supine Hip Thrust (feet & shoulders elevated)[/ame]

These give you a huge squeeze in your hams and are the number one exercises for glutes, i read about it on T-nation. Apparently nothing else activates glutes more.
  16. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.07%

This article at EliteFTS covers some unique exercises:

-Barbell hip thrusts
    -Barbell glute bridges
    -Prone thoracic extensions
    -Pendulum donkey kicks
    -Seated band abductions

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/power_asst_ex.htm
  17. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.22%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by wontstop985 View Post
    This article at EliteFTS covers some unique exercises:

-Barbell hip thrusts
    -Barbell glute bridges
    -Prone thoracic extensions
    -Pendulum donkey kicks
    -Seated band abductions

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/power_asst_ex.htm
    From an athletic performance point of view, hip thrusts and glute bridges looked excellent
    NSCA - CSCS
  18. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.39%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Here ya go off of youtube:

These give you a huge squeeze in your hams and are the number one exercises for glutes, i read about it on T-nation. Apparently nothing else activates glutes more.
    Look what the cat dragged in.

As stated before, I like rack chins bar none for some interesting change ups.
    The Historic PES Legend
  19. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.86%

Quote Originally Posted by DAdams91982 View Post
    Look what the cat dragged in.

As stated before, I like rack chins bar none for some interesting change ups.
    Miss me? lol
  20. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  255 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.42%

At my old gym, we would put blocks under a bench ands do dumbbell reverse flyes for rear delts.
    Without a tbar we would weight one side of a barbell and use a rope for an improvised tbar.
    I still do plate raises, with my forearms on the top of a preacher curl bench, ring and middle fingers through center of plate, pointer and pinky extended, then raise at the wrist for forearm extensors. I love them!
  21. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  255 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.42%

Quote Originally Posted by Jay V 24 View Post
    I started doing jumping jacks on a stability ball (bosu)

Def feel it in my core. I fell several times though and may have possibly broken my ankle. No pain no gain i guess.
    Wow
  22. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.86%

Close grip and reverse grip bench with dumbbells, try these out and vary the angles to fry your triceps, i don't use a completely full range on these do 3/4 and keep it in the "sweet spot". Close grip is relative you can do shoulder width neutral grip or as i like to do the cg with the dumbells twisted at a 45 degree angle kind of like i'd be doing the press with a cambered bar, also don't be neurotic about keeping your elbows tucked if it feels more comfortable to let them out a little then do it. Both are great for some extra chest
  23. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.86%

Offset dumbbell curls, Dante has mentioned them on intensemuscle, you do a curl either supinated or hammer transitioning to supinated with your thumb and forefinger right up against the side of the dumbbell. The whole i idea here is your biceps has to curl (flexion) and supinate (twist up), with your hand right over to one side of the dumbbell supinating or mainting supination is WAY harder , your biceps will get FRIED and painfully pumped from this one.

Crippler curls: curls with your wrist bent back, personally I use 25lbs plates with the handle cut outs and use them as a widow maker, huge pump from these.

Wrist down reverse curls: similar to what i do above i use a a plate right no a 25lb plate and do a reverse curl with my wrist bent down, i find this hammers bi's a little harder then a standard reverse curl, try out it, tell me what you think.
  24. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.39%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Miss me? lol
    Nope, just missed living vicariously through the infamous CHAPS threads of conquest.
    The Historic PES Legend
  25. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.86%

lol
  26. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.86%

Took a long needed break, but you'll see me around more often now
  27. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  198 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.35%

Kettlebell Halo with an axe chop. Got that from someone on this forum a long time a go and enjoy them

Similar Forum Threads

1. Exercises for sport performance
    By bigbadboss101 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-16-2007, 03:09 PM
  2. Unique Chest Exercises
    By Phoenix rising in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-01-2005, 06:53 PM
  3. Exposure To Common Exercises
    By YellowJacket in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 5