Votes: 24 9.9%
  • Don't know

Votes: 33 13.6%
  • Never tried any of them

Votes: 53 21.8%

• Total voters

joeybenz

Awards
Which one do you guys like the most or have experience with.

kelsey

Awards
  • Established
i like the 5x5,
it hits all muscle groups in order of best bang for your buck,
but i lift because I want to be strong as much as i want to be big.

strength - hypertrophy split,

but i would not do this WO if you were a wuss bcause you squat 3x a week.
some people dont even squat once a month.
(not picking on those that are injured and are not able to squat)

Glenn Pendalays 5X5:

Monday:

Olympic Squats 5x5 (same weight)
Benching 5x5 (flat, close grip or regular)(same weight)
JS Rows 5x5 (same weight)
Accessory (low volume triceps and abs)

Wednesday:

Olympic Squats 5x5 (reduced 15-20% from Monday) or Front Squats 5x5
Standing Military Press 5x5 (same weight)
Deadlifts 5x5 (same weight) (if you pull 2.5x bodyweight do 3x5)
Pull ups 5x5 (use weight if you need it)
Accessory (biceps and abs)

Friday:

Olympic Squats 5x5 (working up each set)
Benching 5x5 (flat or incline)(same weight)
Rows 5x5 (same weight)
Accessory (low volume triceps and abs)

The idea is simple: pick a weight you can do for 5 sets of 5, and if you complete all the sets and reps, then next time bump the weight up 5 or 10 pounds.

SecretOfSteel

Awards
I love 5x5, i do it a bit different though

I'll do monday
bench 5x5
dumbbell flye 3x10
incline dumbbell 3x10
squat 5x5
leg extension 3x10
abs 3x10

wednesday
bent row 5x5
cable row 3x10
lat pulldown 3x10
pullovers 3x10
hyperextension 3x10

friday
powerclean 5x5
leg curl 3x10
shoulder press 5x5
lat raise 3x10
shrugs 3x10
abs 3x10

if I'm on gear, I do this 3 days in a row, break, repeat.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
For me the best routines overall have been linear periodized routines along HST principles.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's not on there..But TUT

bigjohn58

Awards
You should have an "Other" catagory. I take bits and pieces of rutines and combine them to make my own most of the time. Honestly I bet the majority of weight lifters do this and do not go strictly by any of these programs. Some of these programs I feel I'm missing certain bodyparts or they are not getting hit as hard as I would like them. Guess thats probably why I've never totally done any of these programs...maybe someday though who knows?

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
I like HIT style stuff myself. I used to 20 sets per when i was a kid. Now I like the hit'em and forget'em aspect of HIT type workouts.

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
Just started trying out TUt for upper body and man is it a lot harder then it looks.
What is you guys tempo and sets look like?

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
TUT:

1 exercise per body part, 3 sets of same weight per exercise, 60 seconds between sets. Was doing 2 on 1 off but with all the treadmill, cardio kboxing and MA training I was getting a little exhausted. Switched up to 1 on 1 off for better recovery.

3 sets consist of x8-10, x4-6, x2-4

Set A
Chest (Incline DB, dips or hammer strength)
Back width (wide pull ups or narrow grip pulldowns - palms in)
Shoulders (DB press, arnolds or BB military)
Back thickness (T bar rows or narrow low cable rows)
Tri's (Hammer grip skulls or DB seated French press)

Set B
Bi's (BB curls or EZ preachers)
Quads (BB squats or leg curls and DB lunges)
Hamm's (SLDL's or leg curls - if leg curls I add hyperextensions or light good mornings for lwr back)
Calf's - nothing :D Running takes care of them just fine for my tastes.

Some do a mon, wed, fri split with this but I like the 1 on 1 off. If I wasn't so active with cardio stuff I would stick to the 2 on 1 off with the B set first so the bi's are fresh for the isolation work. This way hits all muscles 3x every 8 days for lower volume increased frequency.

Really like the short rest between sets as it keeps the HR elevated nicely. Some opt for longer rest and increased resistance with each set but I have not tried that yet. I like getting in and out quick so I can get to the cardio. FWIW

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
You should really give this a try LCS..It is awesome, and it truly is alot harder then you would think...This particular program was based on a 5 second negative and explosive positive routine, but in another thread I saw Bobo saying anything over 3 second negative was pointless..

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
You should really give this a try LCS..It is awesome, and it truly is alot harder then you would think...This particular program was based on a 5 second negative and explosive positive routine, but in another thread I saw Bobo saying anything over 3 second negative was pointless..

I thought he said 4 seconds? I still go with 5-6 just to be sure. :D

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
:nutkick: ..lol..Are you just stalking my posts to correct me lately BP?..Haha, it's war now.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Kno weigh are yew gonna fiend sumthing too korreckt mie on bruther!:whiner:

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
:duel:

I shalt hover e'er so ubiquitously upon each of your posts. Until such point where I feel the need to strike..

AllInOneBottle

Awards
What routine would be best to follow for a 17 year old that has just started lifting again?

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
TUT:

1 exercise per body part, 3 sets of same weight per exercise, 60 seconds between sets. Was doing 2 on 1 off but with all the treadmill, cardio kboxing and MA training I was getting a little exhausted. Switched up to 1 on 1 off for better recovery.

Set A

doing something similar to you bpmartyr....

FULLBODY on M,W,F

INCLINE DB (2X8reps)
BB ROWS (2X8reps)
CG BP (2x8reps)
DB curls (2x8reps)
ARNOLD SH. PRESS (2X8reps)
FRONT SQUAT OR FULL SQUAT (2X8reps)

i am keeping the weight the same throughout my sets , and every week i try to increase the poundage 2.5-5lbs.

I do this same routine on M,W,F....

so far, im loving it. In and out of the gym in <1hr. I dont rest much in between sets since i am only doing 2sets per bodypart..

:thumbsup:

Set B
Hamm's (SLDL's or leg curls - if leg curls I add hyperextensions or light good mornings for lwr back)

Some do a mon, wed, fri split with this but I like the 1 on 1 off. If I wasn't so active with cardio stuff I would stick to the 2 on 1 off with the B set first so the bi's are fresh for the isolation work. This way hits all muscles 3x every 8 days for lower volume increased frequency.

Really like the short rest between sets as it keeps the HR elevated nicely. Some opt for longer rest and increased resistance with each set but I have not tried that yet. I like getting in and out quick so I can get to the cardio. FWIW

thanks

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
TUT:

Set A

Set B

doing something similar to you bpmartyr....

FULLBODY on M,W,F

INCLINE DB (2X8reps)
BB ROWS (2X8reps)
CG BP (2x8reps)
DB curls (2x8reps)
ARNOLD SH. PRESS (2X8reps)
FRONT SQUAT OR FULL SQUAT (2X8reps)

i am keeping the weight the same throughout my sets , and every week i try to increase the poundage 2.5-5lbs.

I do this same routine on M,W,F....

so far, im loving it. In and out of the gym in <1hr. I dont rest much in between sets since i am only doing 2sets per bodypart..

Thrall

Thrall

Awards
  • Established
I use mainly HIT principles, hitting everything once in a 7 to 9 day period, depending on rest needs. My gains just start to diminish after a few weeks of working something more than once a week. I am still natural after all.

Nabisco

Nabisco

Awards
  • Established
I've tried 5x5, Max-OT, among other programs. And I'm mostly through my first HST program. Overall I think HST is the best routine. I'm in the best shape (not necessarily the strongest) and feel the best on this program. I've also seen the best results from HST. Although I must say, 5x5s made me hella strong.

:bb2:

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
Guess I am all alone with max ot?
nah bro, Max-OT is the ****.

It amuses me that HST emphasizes there low volume per exercise effectiveness, yet you do 10 reps per set, for 2 sets. Do the math thats = 20 reps, so whats is the difference between doing 2 sets of 10 reps and 3 sets of 6-8 reps or 4 sets of 5 reps and I could go on. This just fortifies how over complicated lifting a ****ing weight has become. Ridiculous.

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
I think I may write a book on how similar these "superior the next one" lifting routines are.

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
TUT:

Set A

Set B
Ive been doing something very similar to this, but yet different. This has been my routine over the last month or so.

FULLBODY ---- 3X A WEEK (mon, wed, fri)

MON

- DB INCL PRESS (3X6..same weight)
- BB ROW (3x6...same weight)
- CG bench press ( 3x6...same weight)
- INCL DB curls (3x6...same weight)
- FULL SQUAT ( 3X5...same weight)
- ARNOLD PRESS ( 3X8...same weight)

WED - REPEAT
FRI - REPEAT

NEXT MON - REPEAT (but add anywhere from 2lbs - 5lbs on each exercise, depending on which one it is)

I have seen some incredible gains so far.

For instance, i did the exact routine for a month....in a few weeks, i may opt for front squats for legs, dips for tris..preacher curls for bis....etc......just to change it up....so far so good ...

thanks

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
my lifting is similiar to westside methodology. both Dual and 3 factor theories influence my programs i set up.

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
nah bro, Max-OT is the ****.

It amuses me that HST emphasizes there low volume per exercise effectiveness, yet you do 10 reps per set, for 2 sets. Do the math thats = 20 reps, so whats is the difference between doing 2 sets of 10 reps and 3 sets of 6-8 reps or 4 sets of 5 reps and I could go on. This just fortifies how over complicated lifting a ****ing weight has become. Ridiculous.
When looking at strength the rep range and number of sets to reach the volume is critical.

Prelipin Charts anyone?

In the 1970's A.S. Prilepin found a set of guidelines for how elite Olympic weightlifters trained to develop maximum strength. The results of his study are below.
Intensity Rep range per set Optimal total reps Total reps range

<70% 3-6 24 18-30

70-79% 3-6 18 12-24

80-89% 2-4 15 10-20

90%+ 1-2 7 4-10
This table says that if you are using a weight that is 80% of your one-rep max, then you should perform sets of 2-4 reps each. Furthermore, to elicit a positive training response, the total number of reps performed should be greater than 10 but less than 20, with the optimal number of reps being around 15. So, good choices would be 80%x3/5 (5 sets of 3 reps at 80%), or 80%x4/4, or 80%x2/8.

ftchef

Awards
HIT. Full body MWF and I switch up each day with low rep/ high weight,(5-6) high rep/low weight(10-12), and pyramid(12, 10, 8, 6) for a 1 week cycle, then start over.
At the end of the cycle, I start adding weight again. Strength has come great, a lot of people hate squats every workout, I used to, I'm 40 and love them now, just not always my back the day after!

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
I think I may write a book on how similar these "superior the next one" lifting routines are.
I must say I have read this a few times but don't understand the "superior the next one" part means, can you explain for me please?

@all

I think the replies should be accompanied by pics :) So you can say 5x5 did this!!! etc :D

Much Love,

Neoborn

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
I must say I have read this a few times but don't understand the "superior the next one" part means, can you explain for me please?

@all

I think the replies should be accompanied by pics :) So you can say 5x5 did this!!! etc :D

Much Love,

Neoborn

Ah well I made a typo, suppose to be "superior to the next one" All I mean is that all routines claim to be superior to others. Most of the people who are truly dedicated to a routine have never tried many others so who are they to comment.

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
Thanks man, how long would you guys say is a good amount of time to judge a routine for testing purposes?

Amor Est Vitae Essentia,

Neoborn

RoidRageX10

RoidRageX10

Awards
  • Established
I dont have a "text book" routine but I love low rep, high weight.

2 exercises per body part, 2 body parts per workout

2 HEAVY sets per exercise..its working well..soon to swith it up though.

FM2K GT

FM2K GT

Awards
im reading this topic and considering the 5x5 see if i can get some gains with it. im thinking of doing 3 days on 1 day off so heres an example if you guys wouldnt mind crtiquing it.

day1: chest/triceps
day2: upr/lwr back
day3: legs/hamstrings/calves/abs
day4: off
day5: bicpes/forearms
day6: shoulders/traps
day7: legs/hamstrings/calves/abs

1 very stupid question.. im guessing 5x5 is 5 sets/5reps not 5 excersises and 5 sets.. im pretty sure the first one is right. if so how many excersises should i do ea body part. i was thinking 3?

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
The best routine is when you switch it up after a period of time. All other details are moot

Rictor33

Awards
  • Established
I combine 5x5 cycles in between HST cycles and it's great. The HST cycles are designed towards gaining weight and muscle and the 5x5 is a little more designed for strength. So they balance each other out.

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
im reading this topic and considering the 5x5 see if i can get some gains with it. im thinking of doing 3 days on 1 day off so heres an example if you guys wouldnt mind crtiquing it.

day1: chest/triceps
day2: upr/lwr back
day3: legs/hamstrings/calves/abs
day4: off
day5: bicpes/forearms
day6: shoulders/traps
day7: legs/hamstrings/calves/abs

1 very stupid question.. im guessing 5x5 is 5 sets/5reps not 5 excersises and 5 sets.. im pretty sure the first one is right. if so how many excersises should i do ea body part. i was thinking 3?
looks solid, but going to the gym just to do biceps and forearms doesn't quite fly with me lol. I would just incorporate them with back day. 6 days a week of training is a lot. But if you have the time then it is a solid split.

Mine is a 4 day split

Back/arms
chest/calves
off
shoulders/traps/arms
off
total leg workout
off

my arm workout is only 2 exercises per bic/tris superset with only 2 sets so it takes very little time. 1 workout is designed for slow twitch and the other fast twitch, it has been working well. I do abs when I feel like it...usually 3 times a week.

larue38462

larue38462

Awards
I'm currently starting a split that I pretty much put together by myself. I've tried training each body part once per wk while in the gym about 6 days a week. This routine worked good for about 6 months, but I hit a serious plateau. Next I moved to hst. I the concept, but didn't see much results with only 1-2 exercies and 1-2 sets per bodypart. I'm currently about to start this split....let me know what u guys think.
2 on 1 off/2 on 2 off

day 1
Chest--Flat BB Press - 2 warmup sets/3 working sets
Chest--Decline Flys - 3 working sets

Back--T Bar Rows - 1 warmup set/3 working sets
Back--Pulldowns - 1 warmup set/3 working sets

Forearms--BB wrist Curls 2 working sets superset with
Calves--Seated calf raises 2 working sets

Forearms--reverse curls 2 working sets superset with
Calves--standing calf raises 2 working sets

Hams--Seated Leg Curls 1 warmup set/4 working sets

Day 2
Bi's--BB Curls 1 warmup set/2 working sets
Bi's--Alt Dumbell Curls 2 working sets

Tri's--Skullcrushers 1 warmup set/2 working sets superset with
Tri's--close grip bench press 2 working sets
Tri's--Rope Pulldowns 2 working sets

Shoulders--Military Press 1 warmup set/3 working sets
Shoulders--Bent lateral raises 3 working sets

Quads--Leg Press 2 warmup sets/3 working sets (heavy)
Quads--Front Squats 1 warmup set/3 working sets (light)

Day 3
Chest--Incline DB Press 2 warmup sets/3 working sets
Chest--Cable crossovers 3 working sets

Back--DB Rows 1 warmup set/3 working sets
Back--Barbell Rows 1 warmup set/3 working sets

Forearms--BB wrist curls 2 working sets superset with
Calves--seated calf raises 3 working sets
Forearms--Reverse Curls 2 working sets superset with
Calves--standing calf press

Hams--Lying Leg Curls 1 warmup set/4 working sets

Day 4
Bi's--Cable BB Curls 1 warmup set/2 working sets
Bi's--Hammer Curls 2 working sets

Tri's--Overhead Tri extension 1 warmup set/3 working sets
Tri's--Weighted dips 3 working sets

Shoulders--Miliatry Press 1 warmup set/ 4 working sets
Shoulders--Standing lateral cable raises 3 working sets

Quads--Squats 1 warmup set/3 working sets
Quads--Leg Extensions 3 working sets

I do will do cardio on my first two off days along with abs and take sundays completely off. This is the routine I am planning for my epi/prop cycle.

The K Train

The K Train

Awards
the west side barbell training routine looks pretty interestng to me and ive heread great things about it. anybody here have good experiences with westside? i think the best ive done before would be either DC or kind of a 5x5 program but modified.

BLANCO7

BLANCO7

Awards
i've heard great things about the 5x5 program. great for size and strength as well. i'll be looking into it soon enough myself.