How to stop recurring forearm pain?

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
My brother gets a sharp pain in his forearms, whenever he tries to do heavy barbell curls. The pain is definately related to the hands being in the palms up position, as reverse and french bar curls dont seem to aggrevate the problem.

You know the pain Im talking about...when you let go of the bar after a heavy set and it feels like your muscles are going to rip off the bone...

How should he resolve this issue? He takes time off and had backed off on the weight, which will alleviate the problem for a while but it always comes back.

Thanks
BigVrunga

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
absolutely switch to EZ (preacher, cambered) bar curls immediately and exclusively, drop the straight barbell altogether...also, if he can, have him incorporate more dumbbell exercises, standing/seated incline db curls are very very effective and even if your brother feels he cannot achieve as much of a pump with them, suggest to him to use drop sets and supersets with these methods, and I have no doubt his forearms will be thankful. good luck, I know what kind of pain that can be to work with and it is indeed a hassle.

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
also, had an afterthought here... I don't know if he tends to use wrist straps and such as aids for heavy lifting, back exercises, etc, but if he does have him stop using them in order to build wrist/forearm strength, and it would also be a good idea to incorporate some forearm specific training as well... straps aren't needed IMO, I use chalk only, and have kept my forearms proportionally large and strong with my upper arm... strictest of forms is essential, as is complete concentration on the biceps muscles themselves

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
I agree with switching to dumbells. I hate 'EZ" bars, so I would fight through the pain before I would use one of those.....

That pain is generally 1 of 2 things. Most commonly, the beginnings of small stress fractures (will not show up on an X Ray), or an irritated inerosis membrane (the membrean between the ulna and radius). I used to get them in 1 arm, I fought through it, and am fine now. The only way to 'cure' the stress fractures is to strengthen bones. Switch to dumbells and strengthen bones, and then after 60 days or so, try the straight bar again. This is what I did and now Im pain free.

Once he is done lifting, ice. Put some ice on the forearm for 20 minutes or so (an ice massage would be ideal) and see if the pain subsides. NSAIDs can be used but at the cost of hendering protein synthesis....

Frost

Awards
****, for link above, go to Canadian Juice Monsters section and forearm pain thred

T-Bar

Awards
I have the same problem. I'll quit doind barbell curls for awhile because of it, then I go back to them after awhile and the pain is gone. But it always comes back. As a matter of fact I just switched back to dumbells today because of it.

crazypete

Awards
YJ's post was excellent. sometimes the reason can also be gripping too hard. this will also cause irritation of the inerosis membrane. quite obviously if this is the problem, it is your weak link, perhaps some forearm training might be in order. on the other hand one might be overtraining the forearms - too much gripping in workout for forearms to handle. once again, forearms need training, but you have to back off other exercises where you grip. this could be done by using straps. i actually found that when i stopped using straps, my forearms didn't hurt any more. the point is if you don't correct whatever the problem is, it will slow your progress. sure you could go about treating symptoms, but if you don't correct the real problem it will only get worse. once again, the easy way is the hard way (because you don't waste time on the easy way which doesn't work before you do it right, the hard way)

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the responses guys. My brother was in the Marines for 4 years, and that's when he really took to lifting. He focused mainly on his arms (as most do in the beginning), sometimes working bis with heavy weight 2-3 times a week. That's when his problems started, curling heavy weight with palms up several times a week.
He has alleviated the pain in the past by working forearms, and curling light weight on the barbell(just the bar) and focusing on the negative part of the repetition.
When I pulled a tendon in my knee in highschool (like 10 years ago!), my coach had me soak my leg in a bucket of hot water for 5mins, and then cold water for another 5min, and then repeat this process for about 40 minutes. I suggested that he try this every night with his arms, and then rub a sports cream like Flexall on his forearms before bed. Im not sure if this will help though, what do you think?
I get the pain occasionally, but Ill back off on the weight and it goes away easily...
Genetically, we have weak forearms. Not weak poundage-wise, but they need a lot of work to have that 'rip-cord' look. I wonder if that has something to do with it...

crazypete

Awards
find the injury/weak point and fix it. if you treat the symptoms, the pain can flare up later.

Frost

Awards
I agree with switching to dumbells. I hate 'EZ" bars, so I would fight through the pain before I would use one of those.....

That pain is generally 1 of 2 things. Most commonly, the beginnings of small stress fractures (will not show up on an X Ray), or an irritated inerosis membrane (the membrean between the ulna and radius). I used to get them in 1 arm, I fought through it, and am fine now. The only way to 'cure' the stress fractures is to strengthen bones. Switch to dumbells and strengthen bones, and then after 60 days or so, try the straight bar again. This is what I did and now Im pain free.

how does switching to dumbells help? how does it strengthen the forearm more?

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I would think with dumbells, you can still use heavy weight, using a 'palms in' grip on the way up and then fully supinating your wrist at the top when the stress is off the forearm.
Ive located the source of the pain - if you hold your forearm up, with your palm facing your head, its about 5" from the wrist, right along the ulna. Im looking at my anatomy book ("Strength Training Anatomy"), and it seems the source of the pain is either right between the 'Extensor carpi ulnaris-digiti' and 'Extensor minimi carpi ulnaris' muscles or where they attach to the bone.
While doing incline flyes today, I had a pair of 60's that have an unusually thick handle, and the pain started to flare up. When I switched to a smaller grip, the pain went away. It also seems that if I message the Ulna by rolling my palm around it (with palm facing up on the injured arm). I can really feel the pain (it hurts!) but as I continue to message the area along the bone the pain slowly subsides.

YJ, if this is truly the inerosis membrane, would the pain be localized between the Ulna and Radius?

In my and my brother's case, it seems like its either due to the small stress fractures YJ was talking about, or overstressed tendons where the above mentioned muscles connect to the ulna.

What supplements, in addition to calcium, help speed bone repair?

I tried the hotwater/coldwater bath today and it seemed to help, but the recommended ice message helped even more.

BigVrunga

Frost

Awards
ya, big, i have the exact same prob. i will be going to an orthopedic surgeon next month on the 22nd. i'll let you know. and i'll tell him what i've learned as well

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Frost,
Definately let us know what he has to say. As soon as I get a job with some benefits I may do the same thing...
BigVrunga