Trying to do it right..

Evolve

Awards
Well this is my first post on AM,
I would appreciate some input and advice on my training split.
It is a 4 day split, mon/tues/thurs/fri, hitting the upper and lower body twice a week.
Feel free to give opinions regarding exercises/sets/volume etc.
Mon - Upper

Incline DB Press 4 sets
Pull Ups 4 sets
Side Laterals 2 sets
Preacher Curls 2 sets
Dips (with emphasise on triceps) 2 sets
Tues - Lower

Leg press 4 sets
Leg curl 3 sets
Leg extension 2 sets
Calf press (calf raises on leg press machine) 4 sets
Abs (In the form of crunches or leg raises) 3 sets
Hyperextensions 2 sets

Thurs - Upper

Chest press (machine) 4 sets
Rows 4 sets
DB Shoulder press 3 sets
Close Grip hammer chins 2 sets
Tricep puchdowns 2 sets
Fri - Lower

Same as tuesday but with 4 sets of leg curls and 3 of leg press instead.

All sets are performed until failure or until I cannot complete another rep with good form.
(4-8 on compunds and 6-10 on isolations)
Due to circumstances beyond my control I will not have access to equipment to be able to
perform squats and deadlifts etc. That is why my lower split days are pretty much the same
as I only have access to those exercises, although this will change in 4 weeks when I move.
I am 139.5 lbs at 18% bf. :eek: (skinny fat yes i know). I am still working out how I respond to
differant volume, frquency etc.
Anyways after a year of training with hardly any noteworthy results I decided to ask for advice.
Any constructive criticism is welcome. (As of now my diet is ok, I just have to add more calories)

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
This can work but so long as you arent pushing yourself to failure.

I do something similar; chest/shoulders/tris twice a week and legs/back/bis twice a week...

i work with TUT (time under tension) by doing slow controlled reps without using too much weight... at the end of the last set or two i can really feel the burn... i target 8 or 10 reps depending on the exercise...

and thus far i'm recovering quite well from it... just so long as i'm not pushing to failure and targeting volume work with tut :)

You definitely need SOME diff leg workout stuff though... try out lunges or something like that with big heavy dumbells...
and are there any barbells available?if so you can do deadlifts easy enough...
I never did well with legs using machines; definitely had to be full blown compound stuff for me

Neu

Awards
Post your diet also all the training in the world wont get you results if your diet is
way off

Evolve

Awards
This can work but so long as you arent pushing yourself to failure.

I do something similar; chest/shoulders/tris twice a week and legs/back/bis twice a week...

i work with TUT (time under tension) by doing slow controlled reps without using too much weight... at the end of the last set or two i can really feel the burn... i target 8 or 10 reps depending on the exercise...

and thus far i'm recovering quite well from it... just so long as i'm not pushing to failure and targeting volume work with tut :)

You definitely need SOME diff leg workout stuff though... try out lunges or something like that with big heavy dumbells...
and are there any barbells available?if so you can do deadlifts easy enough...
I never did well with legs using machines; definitely had to be full blown compound stuff for me
Thanks for the reply. I will avoid going to complete failure from now on. Should I stop a rep or 2 short?

Unfortunately there are no barbells where I currently train. I had to sell my power rack and weights due to me moving so this is just temporary ( 4 weeks) until I move so I have to make use with what I got.:sad:
I was wanting to do lunges but the room in the gym where the db's are held is tiny and usually full of people hence no room to move. I agree with you - using machines for legs isn't the greatest.

Post your diet also all the training in the world wont get you results if your diet is
way off
I will make post my diet in the nutrition section later today, so you'd better reply ;) :p

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the reply. I will avoid going to complete failure from now on. Should I stop a rep or 2 short?

Unfortunately there are no barbells where I currently train. I had to sell my power rack and weights due to me moving so this is just temporary ( 4 weeks) until I move so I have to make use with what I got.:sad:
I was wanting to do lunges but the room in the gym where the db's are held is tiny and usually full of people hence no room to move. I agree with you - using machines for legs isn't the greatest.

I will make post my diet in the nutrition section later today, so you'd better reply ;) :p
You dont have to completely avoid failure of course, but in a workout regimen such that you have described; you'd be blown out after a week or so if you went to failure a lot...

But yeah, in this instance, I'd go a rep or two short of failure and dont let the rest periods last too long... say 2-2.5 min tops