How to increase center of chest size?

jpg0923

Awards
What's the best way to work the center of your chest?My pecs are decently sized, but I have this small gap in the middle of my chest. I think part of it is just the way my chest is naturally built, but I feel like there has to be something else I can do on chest day to work that area more. I've read incline DB flys, but wanted to see if anyone else has any other ideas or opinions on this.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Hm...I would say that mostly gets created with major chest volume , for me what has decreased the gap and given me that bulk separation in the middle would be a bit of a wider grip Bench Press , heavy of course , but with a 3-0-1 tempo , 3 on the way down and explosive up! What also helps is try to find an angle with Cable Flyes that makes yah feel the pressure in the middle of the chest and try to throw in more Pec Deck cluster sets!.

Hope it helps! This helped me up!

RJW719

RJW719

Awards
  • Established
Take a look in an anatomy book. The fibers in the pectoral muscles run latitudinally. Therefor, you cant selectivly develop your "inner" or "outer" chest. The stimulation on the pectoral fibers will develop from one end to the other. Genetics plays the biggest factor in the shape of you pectorals (or any muscle). Just focus on developing your chest to the maximum natural potential.

If you are concerned about upper or lower pectorals, there are some compartmental divisions that allow you to stimulate your upper chest more so than your lower chest, for example.

For most trainees a bigger concern should be to just develop their entire chest versus worrying about shaping it.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Take a look in an anatomy book. The fibers in the pectoral muscles run latitudinally. Therefor, you cant selectivly develop your "inner" or "outer" chest. The stimulation on the pectoral fibers will develop from one end to the other. Genetics plays the biggest factor in the shape of you pectorals (or any muscle). Just focus on developing your chest to the maximum natural potential.

If you are concerned about upper or lower pectorals, there are some compartmental divisions that allow you to stimulate your upper chest more so than your lower chest, for example.

For most trainees a bigger concern should be to just develop their entire chest versus worrying about shaping it.
This is good advice.

I'd also add that most people who feel they have an under developed inner chest also often have over developed anterior delts coupled with protracted shoulders.............which all goes back to middle trap/rhomboid activation and strengthening (and lengthening the pec minor) that I have been soapboxing about since I joined here.

Br

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Your insertion points for the pec muscles just happen to be "a little far" from each other. Honestly, I've noticed this a lot in a lot of the photos posted here by people who are lean enough to see that sort of separation (normally 9% bf), I'd say roughly almost half of the people have that. It's just the way you were built/developed, and short of having some sort of muscle implants or tits so big the cleavage closes the gap, it's just the way it is.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
What they are saying above makes sense..but for some reason, doing cable flies on an incline bench, holding at peak contraction (while holding shoulder blades back), got my inner chest extra defined. Gave me a line and striations. I think flies are the only thing that will really work at defining that inner line.

MadmanMike

MadmanMike

Awards
Wide grip bench press, wide grip incline bench press, extremely heavy, get a partner and do negatives, you'll be fine, who cares how you look when your strong as hell.l

The Storm16

Awards
So instead of just doing wide, I'd emphasize FULL range of motion. Do some wider grip AND some narrower grip. I find that narrow helps me get a complete contraction in my chest and tris--you get a fuller stretch at the bottom and a true contraction at the top....that said, the guy above is correct; you just gotta get mass. Range of motion helped me do it. Half-ROM reps are a waste. Increase you middle back strength, pinch your shoulder blades and get some full ROM presses going

MadmanMike

MadmanMike

Awards
The strorm16 knows what's up, it takes time to build a powerful chest, just stick with it, and good luck!!