I need advice. Badly!!! Please read. if u r in a hurry read just d numbered questions

Iceberg99

Awards
hi, i'm a 20 year old boy: 5'9" 131.34 lbs or 59.something kg. I am on my summer break and i really really want to bulk up to about 70kg.

I've wasted so many hours on research into this that now i'm more confused then ever so i need outside perspective from other ppl who have done/are doing this successfully.

I work out 3 times a week and i follow this "universal body building training program" pdf i found online. it seemed awesome at first, now i'm not sure: I've been eating a lot, mostly protein and kinda started to shun away all forms of carbs and fats and stuff that is not protein.(is that a mistake?) My routine:

Monday: 7-8am football evening half hour strength training (heavier weights 12 reps 1 set)
tuesday: same time football ---
wednesday: football evening gym
thursday: football ---
friday: football gym
saturday: football ---
sunday: rest

1) Is this too ambitious? if not please tell me how i need to support all this through the right nutrition? cuz otherwise the rest of my day is low-moderate physical activity and i'm ready to modify the rest of my day/week to suite this!
2) For bulking up, what is needed more: protein or calories? Google drove me crazy trying to answer this question.
3) Anything else relevant or helpful?

Please note: gym activity is basically same exercises 3 times a week and changes every week to concentrate on diff sets of muscles.
4) is this the right approach?
5) how helpfull will it be if i sacrifice football for however much basic running(cardio)? i mean like how much muscle mass can i gain with VS without football?

I realize these are a lot of questions but i really need this info cuz these 2-3 months is the only time i'll get to indulge in things i really want to do: mainly NOT STUDYING and i really want to make the most of my time.

if u cant/dont want to answer all my questions please answer any that u can strongly advise me about. divide and conquer. anything will help.

Thanks a lot..

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
You need more than just protein to gain muscle, and avoiding carbohydrates and fats is a poor idea.
This.

(2) Eating in calorie excess will ehlp you grow and this should ideally come from all macro nutreints.

Im a little confused about your monday training, you do one set per exercise consisting of 12 reps? This is not nearly enough to be bulking. If you wish to gain mass, i.e. muscle hypertrophy, then more work is needed. (there is countless info on this forum relating to this). cbf explaining haha.

Also, you need to be more specific as to what your routines contain, i cannot read minds (nor can anyone else) so we cannot determine if your doing the right thing or not.

And lastly, no, you do not need to sacrifice cardio to build muscle. You might gain faster but then you will have to retrain yourself,why do that when you can build mass and be fit.

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
Both total protein and calories are important for building muscle. You cannot ignore carbohydrates and fats. A 5x5 program would probably be very beneficial to you, Bill Star has a good program and the programs listed above (5/3/1 and westside) are good as well. Additional physical activity, such as running and football practice, will burn off extra calories. It should not hinder your strength/muscle progress as long as you compensate for the calories that you are burning by eating more food (total calories) and get adequate rest outside of these activities, which includes quality sleep at night.

onionness

onionness

Awards
hi, i'm a 20 year old boy: 5'9" 131.34 lbs or 59.something kg. I am on my summer break and i really really want to bulk up to about 70kg.

I've wasted so many hours on research into this that now i'm more confused then ever so i need outside perspective from other ppl who have done/are doing this successfully.

I work out 3 times a week and i follow this "universal body building training program" pdf i found online. it seemed awesome at first, now i'm not sure: I've been eating a lot, mostly protein and kinda started to shun away all forms of carbs and fats and stuff that is not protein.(is that a mistake?) My routine:

Monday: 7-8am football evening half hour strength training (heavier weights 12 reps 1 set)
tuesday: same time football ---
wednesday: football evening gym
thursday: football ---
friday: football gym
saturday: football ---
sunday: rest

1) Is this too ambitious? if not please tell me how i need to support all this through the right nutrition? cuz otherwise the rest of my day is low-moderate physical activity and i'm ready to modify the rest of my day/week to suite this!
2) For bulking up, what is needed more: protein or calories? Google drove me crazy trying to answer this question.
3) Anything else relevant or helpful?

Please note: gym activity is basically same exercises 3 times a week and changes every week to concentrate on diff sets of muscles.
4) is this the right approach?
5) how helpfull will it be if i sacrifice football for however much basic running(cardio)? i mean like how much muscle mass can i gain with VS without football?

I realize these are a lot of questions but i really need this info cuz these 2-3 months is the only time i'll get to indulge in things i really want to do: mainly NOT STUDYING and i really want to make the most of my time.

if u cant/dont want to answer all my questions please answer any that u can strongly advise me about. divide and conquer. anything will help.

Thanks a lot..
you need:
2600-2800 calories a day
260-280 grams of protien
more then 260-280 carbohydrates
about 65.5 grams of fat

id cut all forms of cardio(no more then 10-15 mins a day cardio eats away at your muscle,uses it for energy) eat a double breakfeast go to the gym atleast 4-5 times a week id cut foot ball because all the cardio required. work 1 muscle group until muscle failure lift heavy as possible drink 4L of water a day eat 7 meals a day and work on increasing testosterone dont cut carbs either carbs give alot of energy. first breakfast should also consist of alot of proteine an carbs and should be eaten within 10 mins of bieng awake

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
you need:
2600-2800 calories a day
260-280 grams of protien
more then 260-280 carbohydrates
about 65.5 grams of fat

id cut all forms of cardio(no more then 10-15 mins a day cardio eats away at your muscle,uses it for energy) eat a double breakfeast go to the gym atleast 4-5 times a week id cut foot ball because all the cardio required. work 1 muscle group until muscle failure lift heavy as possible drink 4L of water a day eat 7 meals a day and work on increasing testosterone dont cut carbs either carbs give alot of energy. first breakfast should also consist of alot of proteine an carbs and should be eaten within 10 mins of bieng awake
woah. bad advice imho. Cardio eats at your muscle??? Where did you get your information on this? Cardio does not use your muscle. It uses carbohydrates and fats for energy, when your body canot dervive enough energy from either (highly unlikely fat stores will be depleted) then it might catabolize proteins and muscle for energy. If you have enough stored fuel, then it should not use your muscles for fuel.

Never give up your passion if people give poor physiology advice.

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Lots of bro science going on in this thread...

OP you gotta read a little bit more. You have to understand a lot of advice you get on forums are based on opinions or what one person was told once and now he's regurgitating it to you.

You've spent countless hours researching and that's the non sense you've come up with?! I feel for you bro being 139 lbs at 20 is rough. I graduated high school at 117. Eat eat eat eat quit tracking calories unless you're tracking to make sure you're getting a surplus. Eat clean but eat a lot! If you're uncomfortable most of the night you're probably eating enough.

I agree with some advice on here Zir Red and that David cat are spot on don't ditch the fats and Carbs silly guy! You gotta be getting all that to grow. I will however say this IMO if bulking is your goal I would avoid cardio for a bit and my reasoning behind that is because being a true ecto I know how hard it is to bulk with cardio. There is no reason you can't add it in later when you get to where you want to be. You want size lift heavy, compound movements and eat.

^^ see what I did there? "In my opinion" because guess what... That was my opinion read, learn, take advice then find what works for you and form your own opinion.

Not trying to be a d1ck however teach a man to fish...

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I will however say this IMO if bulking is your goal I would avoid cardio for a bit and my reasoning behind that is because being a true ecto I know how hard it is to bulk with cardio. There is no reason you can't add it in later when you get to where you want to be. You want size lift heavy, compound movements and eat.
This is good if you are struggling to eat enough to grow, however if you have no problem getting in the extra calories then I wouldnt advise you drop cardio ESP. if you play football.

If you dont mind dropping cardio in order to bulk up, thenby all means do what you wish, less cardio will mean less energy/calories spent and more can be utilized for growth

onionness

onionness

Awards
woah. bad advice imho. Cardio eats at your muscle??? Where did you get your information on this? Cardio does not use your muscle. It uses carbohydrates and fats for energy, when your body canot dervive enough energy from either (highly unlikely fat stores will be depleted) then it might catabolize proteins and muscle for energy. If you have enough stored fuel, then it should not use your muscles for fuel.

Never give up your passion if people give poor physiology advice.
your body actually does burn muscle into energy if you do not have enough carbs or proteine in your diet even when you have sufficient amounts of carbohydrates cardio burns carbs alot quicker then it would i you where just workin you 1 muscle and it is not poor advice it is alot more effective in reallity its noticibly different and dont say poor advice unless you actually have tried it or know more on it

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
your body actually does burn muscle into energy if you do not have enough carbs or proteine in your diet even when you have sufficient amounts of carbohydrates cardio burns carbs alot quicker then it would i you where just workin you 1 muscle and it is not poor advice it is alot more effective in reallity its noticibly different and dont say poor advice unless you actually have tried it or know more on it
What? I do know more on it. Im currently doing a masters degree in this field.

Your advice is poor, if the source of the problem is lack of food intake, then the advice isnt to drop the exercise, its to eat more to meet energy demands. So yes, that is poor advice.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Its pretty difficult to quantify the amount of protein used for fuel during cardio, but unless it is intense and long duration, it will be minimal. Second, the majority of protein that is used for fuel comes from catabolism of plasma proteins, specifically albumin, for branch chain amino acids.

I personally think the benefits to doing cardio outweigh the small disadvantage that might occur with regards to putting on muscle. The answer is to eat more, as described earlier. Also, if anything, you can cut back on the duration and frequency but still maintain the intensity of the cardio to maintain conditioning.

Br

Iceberg99

Awards
Jiigzz!! Monday training is same as other day training. I read in a couple of places that u do higher number of reps and sets to tone muscles for endurance but for BULK, u lift heavier weights which u cant do more than 12 reps of. Thats kinda what i've been doing for the last 2 weeks.
Does that sound right, at all?

everyone else..thanks a lot.. ok 2 conflicting advice here. Eat more without football Vs Eat a Hell lot more With football. Dvaldez, dude ur right. this is all opinion. They all make sense but i think i'll take the latter advice simply cuz it includes football. And i get to eat more, Its a win win. I'll do it for a month and check progress.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Jiigzz!! Monday training is same as other day training. I read in a couple of places that u do higher number of reps and sets to tone muscles for endurance but for BULK, u lift heavier weights which u cant do more than 12 reps of. Thats kinda what i've been doing for the last 2 weeks.
Does that sound right, at all?

everyone else..thanks a lot.. ok 2 conflicting advice here. Eat more without football Vs Eat a Hell lot more With football. Dvaldez, dude ur right. this is all opinion. They all make sense but i think i'll take the latter advice simply cuz it includes football. And i get to eat more, Its a win win. I'll do it for a month and check progress.
Erase the word "tone" from your vocabulary.
Muscular endurance is attained by doing higher reps with less rest, that is correct. But at the same time, increasing muscle mass can also be achieved with higher volume, moderate weights, and shorter rest periods.

Erase the word tone from your vocabulary. You need to start reading about progressive overload. That is one of the major factors that must be achieved if you are to add size and strength.

I still think you should check out west side for skinny bastards or buy the 5/3/1 e-book. Both are solid programs, and both have some very good scientific logic/evidence backing them...and I think you'll learn quite a bit reading them.

Br

onionness

onionness

Awards
Its pretty difficult to quantify the amount of protein used for fuel during cardio, but unless it is intense and long duration, it will be minimal. Second, the majority of protein that is used for fuel comes from catabolism of plasma proteins, specifically albumin, for branch chain amino acids.

I personally think the benefits to doing cardio outweigh the small disadvantage that might occur with regards to putting on muscle. The answer is to eat more, as described earlier. Also, if anything, you can cut back on the duration and frequency but still maintain the intensity of the cardio to maintain conditioning.

Br
id follow his advice if u want football personally i like the idea of lesser cardio because i work out 1-2 times a day so i need to cut down on cardio because it makes a significant difference for me

STEGODYT

Awards
It seems like your very confused on every topic lol. Here's my advice...

Consume a lot of carbs AND protein ..
carbs - energy for body .. If deprived u will burn muscle and regress.

Lift heavy- doing your 1 set won't work, not enough stress. You should try get a good 4 sets, 5 sets with 5-10 reps.

Keep football but as I said, u need carbs a lot for the maintenance of weight.

I'd suggest this sort if programme

MON- deadlift, lat-pull down, shoulder press
TUE - DAY OFF
WED- bench press, incline dumbell press, squats
THUR-DAY OFF
FRI- bent over row, chest dips, cable pull & flye

This hits a lot of back and chest.. 3x a week and allowing room for football.

Hope this helps buddy