Upper chest

CPennington

CPennington

Awards
Trying to focus more on my upper pec lately but all the exercises that come to mind I'm feeling 95% in my frontal delts instead of the upper chest, I know it's not a problem of the lifts prob just how I'm doing them? And suggestions? Techniques?

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Pinch shoulder blades back when on the negative-side of rep.

Also, do DB. It's better at isolation of pecs anyways. I wish I could show you my progress on my pecs for the last 8 months. I should have logged it all, too. It's night and day difference. I did lots of DB incline presses @ 30* and 45* angles along with DB pullovers (back and chest movement) and stayed away from barbells for a while. Soon I will be going back to barbells to regain compound strength but so far the DB's have done me so very well.

CPennington

CPennington

Awards
Thanks man, I know where your coming from with the DBs I switched from flat BB to DP presses for a few months and I saw a huge difference and some really good gains

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Pinch shoulder blades back when on the negative-side of rep.
This, and do not let your shoulder blades drift forward at all during the rep/set. Once they do the front delts take over; if you're front delts are over developed you might want to consider using this as an end point to the set.

On those same lines, work to strengthen the muscles that keep your shoulder blades back. Face pulls, wide grip over hand rows, etc.

Br

CPennington

CPennington

Awards
This, and do not let your shoulder blades drift forward at all during the rep/set. Once they do the front delts take over; if you're front delts are over developed you might want to consider using this as an end point to the set.

On those same lines, work to strengthen the muscles that keep your shoulder blades back. Face pulls, wide grip over hand rows, etc.

My delts def overwhelm my chest, maybe pre exhaust the delts beforehand?

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
. My delts def overwhelm my chest, maybe pre exhaust the delts beforehand?
hmm Not necessarily. If you dont pinch shoulder blades back etc. then your front delts will still be used during the exercise whether or not you pre-exhaust them. Just because you do this it doesn't mean you deactivate your delts. Focus on what the others are telling you in regards to form, this is the best way to decrease the work your delts will undergo.

superbeast668

superbeast668

Awards
Total agreement with pinching shoulder blades/rolling shoulders back. maybe involve a little more isolation at first as well, like off of a 60/40 incline pec machine if your gym has one, or like a smith machine. the smith machine has done wonders for my upper pecs because i can concentrate harder on my chest than stabilization.

Trank406

Trank406

Banned
Awards
Smith machine incline! One of my favorites that have helped with my shoulder problems! Superbeast my fiance loves your signature quote hahaha

superbeast668

superbeast668

Awards
Smith machine incline! One of my favorites that have helped with my shoulder problems! Superbeast my fiance loves your signature quote hahaha
shoulder issues are initially why i started using the smith for inclines. quite honestly i dont think i'll do them free weight ever again after the changes to my upper pecs. as for my sig... i have no idea where i heard that but it just fits my personality so perfectly... its like the dos equis commercials.. they actually based the stuff he does on me.

penn.. another thing to try is different angles on the incline benches. i'm sure your gym has an adjustable.

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
Like everyone has stated, pinch your blades back, cut the poundage and focus on the contractions.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My delts def overwhelm my chest, maybe pre exhaust the delts beforehand?
Avoid all front delt training, and focus your delt work on over head presses and rear delts exclusively.

Also, keep your elbows in when you do chest presses such that your upper arm and torso are at a 45 degree angle (imagine doing a lateral raise...the half way mark is where your elbows should be during chest presses)

Br

CPennington

CPennington

Awards
Tried out the advice today guys, great results! Reps for all! Thanks guys.

Trank406

Trank406

Banned
Awards
For sure brother! We're all here to help each other out =D

Masciaman

Masciaman

Awards
i started super setting incline db bench with incline db flies for 4 sets at 10 reps per set and got some great gains after about a month of doing it:) i had a pretty big chest already but once i got my upper chest in check it made my chest like waaaaaay bigger, hope this helps good luck bro

superbeast668

superbeast668

Awards
Anything to help man. Were all here to give and receive advice.

superbeast668

superbeast668

Awards
For pecs db are the best
Not particularly. Depends on form and the way the human body recieves the stimulation from training. Dumbells have their place in training as well but typically heavy compound bar movements reign supreme for building overall raw mass.

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Not particularly. Depends on form and the way the human body recieves the stimulation from training. Dumbells have their place in training as well but typically heavy compound bar movements reign supreme for building overall raw mass.
I think both can be true. According to Arnold, DB bench will serve better for short-armed people like myself. I tend to agree. When I did barbell for an entire season, my strength went way up and my front delts grew enormous but my pecs stayed relatively the same. The incline setting was simply too steep and because a barbell does not allow deep stretching for guys like me I wasn't getting a well-rounded movement.

When I switched to DB training, and used 30* as my primary angle to train with, I saw immediate results and at this point, I have decent pecs now when they are pumped. Granted, my shoulders still swallow them whole in certain poses. So really, I think barbell movements can do the job much more efficiently for longer-armed people, and taller individuals while the DB are the only good option for stubby guys.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
There are more forces applied laterally (i.e.: triceps work) during a barbell bench press vs. a dumbbell press. The grip width also makes a difference. If you use a grip greater than 1.5x times that the acromial span (shoulder width) you increase front delt recruitment...not to mention increase the risk of shoulder injury.

Br

kohai66

Awards
Take a page from Franco Columbo, for many many years all he had access to was an incline bench. Never really did any flat bench work until he came to america.
On that same note I trained with a former Mr. Idaho, who was also a personal trainer, he advised that it is always good to have a slight incline when doing bench work (especially for females) , even just a 2x4, this will xfer the emphasis to the upper pecs.
Hope this helps you.