Bench press max

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. I've skimmed through the thread but couldn't find any mention of your sticking point.

Where are you stalling out during the lift?

2. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    The question is about a 1RM, not hypertrophy. Does a bigger muscle have the potential to be a stronger muscle? Yes, but only if the wiring and CNS conditioning are also present. If he wants a bigger bench, then he needs to address his technical issues by recording himself while benching at ~80% of 1RM from several angles. After that, he needs to organize a template that addresses his weak areas and will also help to add size to his frame.
    10-4.

Also just for clarification, I always use an open grip on press movements. I couldn't imagine a wide or close-grip press without an open grip
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by fueledpassion View Post
    10-4.

Also just for clarification, I always use an open grip on press movements. I couldn't imagine a wide or close-grip press without an open grip
    That sounds a little dangerous.

4. Dont really see how it makes much difference. The only grip I'd see as dangerous would be reverse open grip or reverse grip specifically on decline. I've never personally seen either of these grips performed but as for open grip, well, all of the powerlifters around here seem to prefer it. I tried it and learned to like it quickly. Its more comfortable to me now and I feel its safer since the bar is directly centered and inline with my forearm.

5. Absolutely love close grip with a suicide grip. I tried going back to closed grip and it wasn't the same at all - in fact I tended to flare elbows more, which kind of defeated the purpose, and it felt so ... "natural?"
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by Torobestia View Post
    Absolutely love close grip with a suicide grip. I tried going back to closed grip and it wasn't the same at all - in fact I tended to flare elbows more, which kind of defeated the purpose, and it felt so ... "natural?"
    I agree! It doesnt take very long to feel natural. I initially went to open/suicide grip for wrist issues when lifting heavy. Now I find it beneficial in many other movements, especially close and wide-grip applications. It really does remove stress from the wrist.

7. I do false grip on my warm up sets to really get the triceps involved, but I still like a closed grip on my ME. However, OHP is done completely with a false grip.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

8. Quote Originally Posted by Gutterpump
    I've skimmed through the thread but couldn't find any mention of your sticking point.

Where are you stalling out during the lift?
    I struggle at the chest ...once I hit the chest and am on the way back up I get stuck but if my spotter barely lifts it then I'm good the rest of the way

9. I used a closed grip always, except on ohp press. I know a powerlifter that does the same as rodja. Open on warm-ups and closed for ME.

10. Quote Originally Posted by fueledpassion View Post
    So basically I'm an idiot is what you are saying. I can accept that well and still sleep ok at night considering my personal experience has been good for me. I too had lagging upper chest development not 6 months ago and can now say that I push 300lbs on Incline Bench Press @ 162lbs. Nevertheless, my suggestions always go without saying that safety is assumed a priority.

Also, did you think I was suggesting to also go heavy on wide-grip bench? You simply cant. Not that you shouldn't...but that you cant. Widening the grip isolates the pecs by reducing the shoulders and triceps in the movement. I'm not a strength coach, obviously. But I know a thing or two about muscle development, which is one of his problems. From his previous posts, it sounds like he needs to consider muscle growth in the upper chest as he even eluded to himself.

To the OP:

-Wear wrist wraps.
    -Don't stack as much weight on there when going wide-grip. All it takes is a little common sense to avoid serious injuries.
    -You're 19 years old, and if there is a best time for training hard - it's that age!

As the above fella has mentioned, apparently over-training could be an issue. I doubt it personally. I highly doubt that doing 3-6 sets to failure between 8-12 reps is gonna cause you to over-train especially if you are only training this group once a week. If you were doing it properly and not going too heavy, I'd wager money on it that you would not over-train. But I digress. Do what you want but if you would like for me to show you the progression I made last fall on a natty diet I would be glad to send the before and after pics over email or whatever.
    First and foremost, that was not meant as a shot what so ever. I even addressed that there are endless methods that will get the job done. With that said, what works for one doesn't necessarily work for all and if the young man is working towards becoming stronger, frying the CNS is simply not the best answer for strength, in my opinion. Upper level strength requires an efficient neural system and therefore training purely for hypertrophy shouldn't be the only angle addressed. Obviously it needs to be addressed but not to the detriment of the other half of the equation. I'm also not saying he'll reach a level of overtraining immediately but, as I mentioned, without proper rest and nutrition, it will happen much, much quicker training multiple sets to failure than other methods. Everybody responds differently and has differing opinions. I was simply giving mine.

As for the wide grip issues, I understand you can't load the bar with as much weight in a wide grip, but you can absolutely load it heavy, relatively speaking. In addition, with regards to proper bench mechanics (scaps retracted, depressed) the chest is often less of a limiting factor than the tri's. This is just my experiences with those I have worked with which is why I tend to avoid that particular position. I also work with contact athletes so I have to protect their shoulders a little more than your average gym go-er so, in the end, the reward a bigger pecs simply doesn't out weigh the risk. Lastly, lighten up brother. It's a discussion and most of the time there is so right answer; just tools. Just because I disagree with you doesn't make you wrong or me right. I'm wrong all the time and get called on it everyday at work.

11. Quote Originally Posted by tigerdb2 View Post
    First and foremost, that was not meant as a shot what so ever. I even addressed that there are endless methods that will get the job done. With that said, what works for one doesn't necessarily work for all and if the young man is working towards becoming stronger, frying the CNS is simply not the best answer for strength, in my opinion. Upper level strength requires an efficient neural system and therefore training purely for hypertrophy shouldn't be the only angle addressed. Obviously it needs to be addressed but not to the detriment of the other half of the equation. I'm also not saying he'll reach a level of overtraining immediately but, as I mentioned, without proper rest and nutrition, it will happen much, much quicker training multiple sets to failure than other methods. Everybody responds differently and has differing opinions. I was simply giving mine.

As for the wide grip issues, I understand you can't load the bar with as much weight in a wide grip, but you can absolutely load it heavy, relatively speaking. In addition, with regards to proper bench mechanics (scaps retracted, depressed) the chest is often less of a limiting factor than the tri's. This is just my experiences with those I have worked with which is why I tend to avoid that particular position. I also work with contact athletes so I have to protect their shoulders a little more than your average gym go-er so, in the end, the reward a bigger pecs simply doesn't out weigh the risk. Lastly, lighten up brother. It's a discussion and most of the time there is so right answer; just tools. Just because I disagree with you doesn't make you wrong or me right. I'm wrong all the time and get called on it everyday at work.
    Its cool man. I really should lighten up. Sry bout that. But I wasnt too upset about it lol.

12. Yeah I figured as much. No harm, no foul

13. Some simple advice:
    Take the weight you are currently doing for ~8 reps and decrease it by 15% We will rebuild you.

Week 1:
    Flat bench
    Set 1 - Warmup
    Set 2 - Warmup
    Set 3 - Working set 15% less your previous weight that you used to lift with. Don't lift to failure. 10-12 reps
    Set 4 - Same as Set 3

Incline:
    Set 1-4 (to failure)

Then do your Pec Decs or flyes

Week 2:
    Flat Bench performed at ~10% your old weight. (note the progression)
    Sets 1-4 same as week one except drop the reps to about ~10 (as opposed to 10-12 and remember 9 is a perfectly acceptable number)

Incline
    Same as above

Week 3- Use the weight you used to find difficult before we subtracted the 15%... now we are going to lift it for 6 reps
    Set 1: warmup
    Set 2: warmup
    Set 3: Working set 6 reps
    Set 4: 6 reps

Incline, etc.

Week 4 now we add +5-10% depending on how bold you are
    Set 1: warmup
    Set 2: warmup
    Set 3: +% 6 reps
    Set 4: +% 6 reps

incline, etc etc.

From week 4 onwards try to increase by 5-10lbs a week.
    This is a simple procedure. Dial it down a notch and build up your solid base. Then slowly increase the weights and drop your reps over a period of weeks. With my method we are increasing weight and dropping reps.

Basic outline above, I can help you more and give a more detailed pathway if you are actually interested.
    www.facebook.com/KBrownFitness
    MRSupps Muscle Research Athlete

14. Youtube.(com)/watch?v=_QnwAoesJvQ
    Watch that and see results. Period.

15. Quote Originally Posted by Blacho45 View Post
    Youtube.(com)/watch?v=_QnwAoesJvQ
    Watch that and see results. Period.
    Very True. Dave Tate is a great coach.
    www.facebook.com/KBrownFitness
    MRSupps Muscle Research Athlete

16. Solid advice from this crowd. I was taught to bench with an open grip and have continued to do so for the past 30+ years. If you train with partners as you should especially when doing any of the power lifting exercises you may want to do negatives for your bench once per month to provide additional stimulation for strength and growth. Read up on the technique and safety precautions before trying.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Bench Press Help
    By Swanson52 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-09-2013, 02:13 AM
  2. Bench press help
    By butrybench555 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-19-2012, 07:28 PM
  3. Bench Press
    By butrybench555 in forum General Chat