Best ways to train side delts for size

ljc100

Awards
What are some ways to build side delts for size ?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Standing overhead press supersetted with side laterals. 6-10 reps on the OHP and 12-15 on SL.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
i use military press and cable raises, 6-8 mp, 10-12 side raises

VS91588

VS91588

Awards
21's w/ side lateral raises
7 low raises (waist area to under chest area)
7 high raises (chest area and higher)
7 full range raises

Docmattic

Docmattic

Awards
  • Established
not that i have huge shoulders but how about an upright row with constant tension kept on the side delt.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
not that i have huge shoulders but how about an upright row with constant tension kept on the side delt.
and it will also hurt your rotator cuff muscles. the upright row is horrible. just like behind the neck presses/pulldowns.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
and it will also hurt your rotator cuff muscles. the upright row is horrible. just like behind the neck presses/pulldowns.
It's not that bad if you use a wide grip and only go up to your sternum/when your upper arms are parallel to the floor.

Whenever I do isolation work for side delts, I like doing double pyramid sets. So for instance, you would do something like 15lbs for 12 reps, 20lbs for 10 reps, 25lbs for 8 reps, and 30 for 6 reps, with 30-45 seconds between each instance. After the 6 rep set, you would take like a 1-2 minute break, then reset back down to 15 and do the pyramid set all over again. If that gets easy, up the starting weight by 5lbs (2.5lbs would honestly be more optimal if you have that option).

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yes, lower sternum. But most people row up to their chins...which mimics the movement physical therapists use to test for supraspinatus impingement - smart, really smart.

Br

fadi

fadi

Awards
  • Established
I used cables to do upright rows with rope or seperate handles. It reduced the stress on my shoulders due to the flexibility of hand position. I don't do it often though, right now doing two sets of side lats then do two sets partials with heavier weights. We'll see if that makes a difference.

I need to work on my read lats, which bent over DB rows with arms to the sides seem to target them well and the side lats as described. But again, time will tell if they are working.

I have an inherent weakness that I cannot seem to overcome. I cannot maintain strength from set to set and strength drops drastically between sets so I try to get the most out of my first and second sets. For example, I can do 10 reps with couple of reps in the tank, rest 90 seconds, second set I may or may not get 10 reps, rest 90, third set I would hardly get 5-6 reps. Also when I deload, strength goes down and it is a struggle to rebuild it back up.

VS91588

VS91588

Awards
I have an inherent weakness that I cannot seem to overcome. I cannot maintain strength from set to set and strength drops drastically between sets so I try to get the most out of my first and second sets. For example, I can do 10 reps with couple of reps in the tank, rest 90 seconds, second set I may or may not get 10 reps, rest 90, third set I would hardly get 5-6 reps. Also when I deload, strength goes down and it is a struggle to rebuild it back up.[/QUOTE]

1. Critique your post workout meal. May be you're not eating enough carbohydrates and blood sugar level is low.

2. If that is not the case; what are your goals in the gym? Strength training, hypertrophy (size), or a lil bit of both?

Sonny1011

Awards
I have an inherent weakness that I cannot seem to overcome. I cannot maintain strength from set to set and strength drops drastically between sets so I try to get the most out of my first and second sets. For example, I can do 10 reps with couple of reps in the tank, rest 90 seconds, second set I may or may not get 10 reps, rest 90, third set I would hardly get 5-6 reps. Also when I deload, strength goes down and it is a struggle to rebuild it back up.
first cool to see your from san antonio, im in austin. But if i could give you some advice, if your going for hypertophy or strength i dont understand starting with a weight you can do more than ten times and ending on that same weight? you should pyramid up, or start initially with a heavier weight.

Docmattic

Docmattic

Awards
  • Established
Yes, lower sternum. But most people row up to their chins...which mimics the movement physical therapists use to test for supraspinatus impingement - smart, really smart.

Br
I dont know how people go to their chins....yes sternum or nipples is about as far as i can go without the movement feeling dangerous. I find it quite effective to go wide grip upright rows with a barbell follwed by a close grip dropset using a plate (if the plates have handles designed into them.)

AutoKal47

AutoKal47

AK DoubleWide 47
Awards
Yes it can be bad but usually is due to bad form/too much weight,
but yes, even with good form and everything it can be risky.

A great alternative is to do one arm DB upright rows, very effective exercise.

fadi

fadi

Awards
  • Established
first cool to see your from san antonio, im in austin. But if i could give you some advice, if your going for hypertophy or strength i dont understand starting with a weight you can do more than ten times and ending on that same weight? you should pyramid up, or start initially with a heavier weight.
I've done that. I used to pyramid down but now trying new approach for few weeks.

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
BB shoulder press followed by side laterals as others have stated. My side delts are deff a strong point give you a much larger appearance because you look wider on top (helps with a small waist also all about that illusion of proportions lol)..now if only my REAR delts would follow suit

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yes it can be bad but usually is due to bad form/too much weight,
but yes, even with good form and everything it can be risky.

A great alternative is to do one arm DB upright rows, very effective exercise.
Not as much external rotation, but you're still going to cause impingement and un-needed wear bringing the dumbbells as high as that guy was in the video.

Br

AutoKal47

AutoKal47

AK DoubleWide 47
Awards
Not as much external rotation, but you're still going to cause impingement and un-needed wear bringing the dumbbells as high as that guy was in the video.

Br
Agree, he brings it way too high, I forgot to mention that.
I like this exercise a lot and I do it regularly in my shoulder routine but I don't
bring it up that high

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
A big problem with training the middle delt is keeping the tension there and avoiding trap take over. Lateral cable or db will do that. DB or BB shoulder presses engage core, neck, traps and so on so isolation isn't great there either. The hammer strength shoulder machine is the best tool I have ever used for building the delts. It really keeps a lot of the focus on the delts. I believe shoulders need to be trained differently than other muscles as well. They are mainly stabilizers so they should be trained in that way. Doing long negative reps or holds at the top of the reps have drastically developed my shoulders over the years. Also going heavy has never led to any positive results. Keep the weights light. Doing a lot of reps, long holds and negatives.

My example shoulder routine is

Hammer strength 25lbs 3-5 second holds at top, don't completely lock out, slow negatives down 3-5 seconds, than hold at bottom for 3-5 seconds. I do this for 12-15 reps. 3 sets.

Bent over rear flys with DB's 5-10lbs 15-20 reps. 3 sets

Band external rotations. 15-30 reps. 2-3 sets.

Notice how my routine is more focused on shoulder stabilization. I don't even work front delts directly. They get plenty of stabilization work through push-ups as they are always in my routine.

This routine keeps my shoulders growing and I've never seen any plateus. The key is to go up in weights, reps, very slowly.

AK4lyfe

AK4lyfe

Awards
I really like Arnold presses (I'd post a link but I'm on my phone)

You could kind of say its half dumbbells press half lateral raise. My opinion is its great but I'd like to hear what others think aswell.

Strygwyr

Strygwyr

Awards
I read somewhere that majority of bodybuilders have over developed front delts about 70% larger than the side and rear that's why a lot of times when people look at the mirror from the front looks like they have a fully developed delts but in reality it's all front delts barely side and rear is flat. So by training I only do one press( military press) & do my side laterals like with pinky higher than my thumb like pouring a bottle

Strygwyr

Strygwyr

Awards
Cause still side laterals done incorrectly will likely overstimulate front delts, every time I want to concentrate on my side delts I do my laterals on an incline bench sideways 1 hand at a time with pinky higher than my thumb. I don't do front raises because front delts already gets stimulated on chest days and shoulder press exercises

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
....& do my side laterals like with pinky higher than my thumb like pouring a bottle
ouch! sounds painful. you are hammering your bones against each other while doing that. if you want to hit the sides drop your elbows, point your thumbs up and lean forward. your front will still get hit, but you will not damage your shoulders in the process.

Strygwyr

Strygwyr

Awards
Lol I don't over do it I know what your talking about and yeah it hurts. if you have time search Charles glass style side laterals on you tube the db barely goes all the way up so you really have to be in control of the movement and I use medium to light weight and I don't drop it all the way on the bottom since delts are mid range exercises and benefit a lot from time under tension. Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems to be working for me lately

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
ouch! sounds painful. you are hammering your bones against each other while doing that. if you want to hit the sides drop your elbows, point your thumbs up and lean forward. your front will still get hit, but you will not damage your shoulders in the process.
As someone with shoulder issues, I have NEVER even sensed ANY level of friction/discomfort/etc doing what stryg does. Dropping elbows AND pointing thumbs up will not target lateral delts, and may remove them. The exception is if you are leaning over on a bench parallel to the floor.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If you are going to maintain a high degree of external rotation as Styrg is describing, than you shouldn't bring the weight above your lower chest level. The higher you go the greater the impingement of the supraspinatus will be.

And yes, most bodybuilders have over developed front deltoids due to all the shoulder flexion and scapula protraction work, and an inadequate amount of shoulder extension and scapula retraction work.

Br

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
As someone with shoulder issues, I have NEVER even sensed ANY level of friction/discomfort/etc doing what stryg does. Dropping elbows AND pointing thumbs up will not target lateral delts, and may remove them. The exception is if you are leaning over on a bench parallel to the floor.
i see doing side raises that way just like upright rows, behind the neck anything, and leg presses. many people do them. some have no issues at all but there is too great of a chance of injury so i still wont do them. there are safer exercises that will still get me the same if not better results. many people disagree with me on that but i still wont do them and i will still get stronger and bigger.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
I read somewhere that majority of bodybuilders have over developed front delts
This is true, often because they get so much front delt work on chest exercises, neglect the rotator cuff complex and rear delts. Adding more front delt work will only cause further imbalance in the shoulders and rotate them foward. You end up having forward shoulders and poor posture. I'am a big fan of working the "rear" much more than the front of the body. Gravity is always bringing us down and forward so we need to build up strength in the muscles that keep us upright. When the shoulder are aligned properly the chest looks much bigger, it's more flexible and able to push more weight. Guys obsess about a big chest but don't realize what they think will make it look bigger is actually making it look smaller.

Go Away

Go Away

Awards
This is true, often because they get so much front delt work on chest exercises, neglect the rotator cuff complex and rear delts. Adding more front delt work will only cause further imbalance in the shoulders and rotate them foward. You end up having forward shoulders and poor posture. I'am a big fan of working the "rear" much more than the front of the body. Gravity is always bringing us down and forward so we need to build up strength in the muscles that keep us upright. When the shoulder are aligned properly the chest looks much bigger, it's more flexible and able to push more weight. Guys obsess about a big chest but don't realize what they think will make it look bigger is actually making it look smaller.
Well said. Straighter, bigger back equals bigger chest, bigger tri's equal bigger arms... From an aesthetic outlook

Doss

Doss

Awards
  • Established
Pre-exhaust a heavy pushing exercise with some light, high rep laterals, then do the rest of your shoulder workout, then do this:

Delt Triad

Pick a weight you can do 15 laterals with.

Do 12 laterals, immediately followed by 12 front raises, followed again by 12 shoulder presses, all with the original weight.

Rest 30 seconds and repeat.

Do 3 sets. It brings on a brutal pump and really rounds out the muscle when you pose.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Br
Speaking of the supraspinatus, what would be the best course of action for impingement? I've been thinking recently that I may have an impingement or be flirting close to it.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
First course would be to run some simple tests to try and determine which tendon is impinged..whether its the SS, IS, or biceps tendon. From there, some ice/anti inflammatories and corrective exercises can be used.