Best ways to train side delts for size

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Quote Originally Posted by Strygwyr View Post
    I read somewhere that majority of bodybuilders have over developed front delts
    This is true, often because they get so much front delt work on chest exercises, neglect the rotator cuff complex and rear delts. Adding more front delt work will only cause further imbalance in the shoulders and rotate them foward. You end up having forward shoulders and poor posture. I'am a big fan of working the "rear" much more than the front of the body. Gravity is always bringing us down and forward so we need to build up strength in the muscles that keep us upright. When the shoulder are aligned properly the chest looks much bigger, it's more flexible and able to push more weight. Guys obsess about a big chest but don't realize what they think will make it look bigger is actually making it look smaller.
    ôLord, whom shall we go away to? You have sayings of everlasting life"- John 6:68

WHAT has science offered?

2. Quote Originally Posted by Flaw

This is true, often because they get so much front delt work on chest exercises, neglect the rotator cuff complex and rear delts. Adding more front delt work will only cause further imbalance in the shoulders and rotate them foward. You end up having forward shoulders and poor posture. I'am a big fan of working the "rear" much more than the front of the body. Gravity is always bringing us down and forward so we need to build up strength in the muscles that keep us upright. When the shoulder are aligned properly the chest looks much bigger, it's more flexible and able to push more weight. Guys obsess about a big chest but don't realize what they think will make it look bigger is actually making it look smaller.
    Well said. Straighter, bigger back equals bigger chest, bigger tri's equal bigger arms... From an aesthetic outlook
    •   

3. Pre-exhaust a heavy pushing exercise with some light, high rep laterals, then do the rest of your shoulder workout, then do this:

Delt Triad

Pick a weight you can do 15 laterals with.

Do 12 laterals, immediately followed by 12 front raises, followed again by 12 shoulder presses, all with the original weight.

Rest 30 seconds and repeat.

Do 3 sets. It brings on a brutal pump and really rounds out the muscle when you pose.

4. Quote Originally Posted by asooneyeonig View Post
    and it will also hurt your rotator cuff muscles. the upright row is horrible. just like behind the neck presses/pulldowns.
    I would agree with that

5. Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED
    Yes, lower sternum. But most people row up to their chins...which mimics the movement physical therapists use to test for supraspinatus impingement - smart, really smart.

Br
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AoZX...e_gdata_player
    Always willing to learn :D
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED
    Yes, lower sternum. But most people row up to their chins...which mimics the movement physical therapists use to test for supraspinatus impingement - smart, really smart.

Br
    Speaking of the supraspinatus, what would be the best course of action for impingement? I've been thinking recently that I may have an impingement or be flirting close to it.
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
    RECOVERBRO: Est. Post #3222

7. First course would be to run some simple tests to try and determine which tendon is impinged..whether its the SS, IS, or biceps tendon. From there, some ice/anti inflammatories and corrective exercises can be used.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Give this exercise a try - rear and side delts
    By ItsHectic in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-28-2010, 08:41 PM
  2. Chest and Delts - Train Separately or together
    By LunaHotel in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 11-05-2008, 09:20 PM
  3. Side Delts with DC
    By jdev in forum Training Forum