how many sets per exercise and workout?

Page 4 of 5 First ... 2345 Last

  1. Quote Originally Posted by VS91588
    Yeah it deff takes a toll on your body. I personally like deadlifting w/ dumbbells lately. I been reading up on FST-7; 7 sets with 30-40 second rest periods. After my back workout I grab 100-110lb dumbbells and perform that. It's really hard and you get more of a squeeze on the way up cuz you are not limited by a barbell.
    Always full of knowledge.
    Hardcore Purus Labs {Rep}
    Lift the fücking weight from the floor, or leave it on the ground. The thoughts are supposed to be daunting. The pain is meant to be tormenting.


  2. Quote Originally Posted by AaronJP1

    Always full of knowledge.
    Thanks dude I appreciate it. I just notice alot of ppl keep their exercises so barbaric. The basic movements are great but change up the variations, change up the intensity. Trying new things keeps your body guessing, keeps your body changing.
    •   
       


  3. Doing deads last is definitely a double-edged sword though. Having fatigued upper back muscles and, even more problematic, core muscles is a recipe for disaster if you're not careful. It's night and day different between athletes (not to say BBers aren't) and BBers though, so I do understand.

  4. i do deads every other back workout. spinal erectors take a while to fully heal, so if your doin squats and barbell rows you dont need deadlifts every back.

  5. Quote Originally Posted by SuperMachoMan View Post
    i do deads every other back workout. spinal erectors take a while to fully heal, so if your doin squats and barbell rows you dont need deadlifts every back.
    Why would rows take a toll on the erectors? I train the erectors 2-3x/week and it has made my back stronger than ever with much less pain.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

    •   
       


  6. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Why would rows take a toll on the erectors? I train the erectors 2-3x/week and it has made my back stronger than ever with much less pain.
    I train my erectors twice a week, but do most of my rowing chest supported for no other reason then westside does it like that haha.

  7. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Why would rows take a toll on the erectors? I train the erectors 2-3x/week and it has made my back stronger than ever with much less pain.
    o nice man. whats your deadlift at right now?

  8. It comes down to conditioning with the spinal erectors. If you slowly progress to where you are loading them 2-4 times a week, they will handle it just fine. If you go from loading them once a week to 3 times, or from a low loading to a really high loading, then you will have problems.

    As for doing dead lifts last in typical bodybuilding programs....I think this is just old rhetoric and ego - ...the ego to want to maximize the (useless) lat pump prior to dead lifting.

    Br

  9. Quote Originally Posted by SuperMachoMan View Post
    o nice man. whats your deadlift at right now?

    I pulled 495 traditional on Monday. I prefer to pull sumo, but it takes a toll on the hips and adductors/abductors, so I do 2 weeks of traditional, 1 week rack pull sumo, and 1 week full-range sumo.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  10. Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED
    It comes down to conditioning with the spinal erectors. If you slowly progress to where you are loading them 2-4 times a week, they will handle it just fine. If you go from loading them once a week to 3 times, or from a low loading to a really high loading, then you will have problems.

    As for doing dead lifts last in typical bodybuilding programs....I think this is just old rhetoric and ego - ...the ego to want to maximize the (useless) lat pump prior to dead lifting.

    Br
    Hey red so I'm trying to design a new program and I'm still not sure how I wanna set it up. You said earlier hytroprophy benefits from linear periodization. The progress focus being adding volume. Is this true for the ectomorph as well. If so could u give me kinda like a example layout of what you recommend?

  11. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    I pulled 495 traditional on Monday. I prefer to pull sumo, but it takes a toll on the hips and adductors/abductors, so I do 2 weeks of traditional, 1 week rack pull sumo, and 1 week full-range sumo.
    You still train westside? So this ME work im assuming?

  12. Quote Originally Posted by SweetLou321 View Post
    You still train westside? So this ME work im assuming?
    It's ME work, but not really Westside per se since so much of their training is gear oriented and I'm a raw guy.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  13. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    It's ME work, but not really Westside per se since so much of their training is gear oriented and I'm a raw guy.
    Right of course, I train WSC with variations since im raw also.

  14. Quote Originally Posted by hugry4more View Post
    Hey red so I'm trying to design a new program and I'm still not sure how I wanna set it up. You said earlier hytroprophy benefits from linear periodization. The progress focus being adding volume. Is this true for the ectomorph as well. If so could u give me kinda like a example layout of what you recommend?

    I'd be happy to offer some tips and look it over for you. If you want me to design one, PM me and I can discuss that with you as well.

    My suggestions are to work in micro cycles of 3-4 weeks, each one followed by a slight unloading period. In traditional periodization, you would start off working to increase muscular endurance...which would translate into some sarcoplasmic hypertrophy. So 3 weeks of higher reps (12-15) with shorter rest periods with a focus on increasing volume via reps. Add 2 sets per workout on majors, and 1 set/wo on minor lifts. Take a week of reduced volume.

    Then 3 weeks working on myofibril hypertrophy, with a focus on increasing volume via increases in strength. This would be sets in the 5-8 rep range. Add 1 set per workout on major lifts, and 1 the 2nd week on minor lifts. Take a week at reduced volume and intensity, then move to something new. perhaps a hybrid, in the area of 9-11 reps.

    Br

  15. Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED

    I'd be happy to offer some tips and look it over for you. If you want me to design one, PM me and I can discuss that with you as well.

    My suggestions are to work in micro cycles of 3-4 weeks, each one followed by a slight unloading period. In traditional periodization, you would start off working to increase muscular endurance...which would translate into some sarcoplasmic hypertrophy. So 3 weeks of higher reps (12-15) with shorter rest periods with a focus on increasing volume via reps. Add 2 sets per workout on majors, and 1 set/wo on minor lifts. Take a week of reduced volume.

    Then 3 weeks working on myofibril hypertrophy, with a focus on increasing volume via increases in strength. This would be sets in the 5-8 rep range. Add 1 set per workout on major lifts, and 1 the 2nd week on minor lifts. Take a week at reduced volume and intensity, then move to something new. perhaps a hybrid, in the area of 9-11 reps.

    Br
    Hey just wanted to let ya kno ill prob just work up something today using the example u posted n send it to ya for a critique if that's cool. Thanks again bro

  16. Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    I'd be happy to offer some tips and look it over for you. If you want me to design one, PM me and I can discuss that with you as well.

    My suggestions are to work in micro cycles of 3-4 weeks, each one followed by a slight unloading period. In traditional periodization, you would start off working to increase muscular endurance...which would translate into some sarcoplasmic hypertrophy. So 3 weeks of higher reps (12-15) with shorter rest periods with a focus on increasing volume via reps. Add 2 sets per workout on majors, and 1 set/wo on minor lifts. Take a week of reduced volume.

    Then 3 weeks working on myofibril hypertrophy, with a focus on increasing volume via increases in strength. This would be sets in the 5-8 rep range. Add 1 set per workout on major lifts, and 1 the 2nd week on minor lifts. Take a week at reduced volume and intensity, then move to something new. perhaps a hybrid, in the area of 9-11 reps.

    Br
    this is very helpful, I will try and follow this approach. How often do you train each body part?

  17. Quote Originally Posted by fadi View Post
    this is very helpful, I will try and follow this approach. How often do you train each body part?
    Anwhere from once to 3-4 times a week. For hypertrophy purposes usually twice a week.

    Br

  18. Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED

    Anwhere from once to 3-4 times a week. For hypertrophy purposes usually twice a week.

    Br
    I like training chest/bi and back/tri twice a week but I feel like if I do it more than 1 month I don't recover as quick and I'm extremely sore (even when I'm on my gear). I'm a high volume guy and I do cut my sets down when I do train twice a week. I wonder if I'm doing something wrong

  19. Quote Originally Posted by VS91588 View Post
    I like training chest/bi and back/tri twice a week but I feel like if I do it more than 1 month I don't recover as quick and I'm extremely sore (even when I'm on my gear). I'm a high volume guy and I do cut my sets down when I do train twice a week. I wonder if I'm doing something wrong
    Are you doing more negatives/forced reps/failure sets, etc.? If you are training more frequently, then doing techniques that induce more muscle damage should be cut down upon drastically. That's why I suggested earlier doing high volume/frequency for 3-4 weeks, then doing a week of low volume and a lot of negatives/forced reps...then a week unloading and repeat.

    Br

  20. Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED

    Are you doing more negatives/forced reps/failure sets, etc.? If you are training more frequently, then doing techniques that induce more muscle damage should be cut down upon drastically. That's why I suggested earlier doing high volume/frequency for 3-4 weeks, then doing a week of low volume and a lot of negatives/forced reps...then a week unloading and repeat.

    Br
    Yeah I always go my heaviest on my last set and I will drop set and go for hypertrophy. And I always have a spoter so I'm always safely taking my body to muscular failure w/out a bar crushing my neck lol

  21. Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    Are you doing more negatives/forced reps/failure sets, etc.? If you are training more frequently, then doing techniques that induce more muscle damage should be cut down upon drastically. That's why I suggested earlier doing high volume/frequency for 3-4 weeks, then doing a week of low volume and a lot of negatives/forced reps...then a week unloading and repeat.

    Br
    So on the high rep weeks you could train each part twice, and then on the low rep weeks hit them once a week hard?

  22. Quote Originally Posted by indysoccer16 View Post
    So on the high rep weeks you could train each part twice, and then on the low rep weeks hit them once a week hard?
    You could do twice a week on either, as long as you are not taking too many sets to failure or using forced reps/negatives.

    In fact, you could go for 3 weeks. The first two weeks stopping everything a rep shy of failure, then on the final workout of the final week take sets to failure and do some forced/negatives. Then take a week to unload/recover, and restart. This is just one example of planned over reaching, recovery, adaptation.

    Br

  23. will one of you guys post up your workout schedule of a week like
    Sunday: chest
    Monday: back etc
    and what you do for each day. I am trying to see how yall fit in hitting 3 body parts a week
    id appreciate it
    thanks

  24. Here's what I have the bodybuilding team do:

    Mon: Deadlift, horizontal pulls
    Tue: Bench press and triceps accessory
    Wed: Pulls ups and shrugs
    Thu: Over head press and biceps accessory
    Fri: Lower body

    Ideally I would have a day of rest in between wed/thur...but these are the only times we have available to get into the strength and conditioning complex for practice.

  25. Currently using 5/3/1 with DeFranco assistance work

    Monday

    Squats
    Lower back
    Unilateral quad work
    Heavy abs
    Heavy conditioning

    Tuesday

    Bench
    Chest
    Row of some kind ss mid-traps
    Triceps
    Upper traps
    Light conditioning

    Wednesday
    Off

    Thursday
    Deads
    Hams
    Unilateral quad work
    Heavy abs
    Heavy conditioning

    Friday

    Standing overhead press
    Lats ss mid-trap
    Assistance delt work
    Upper traps
    Arm ss

    Saturday
    Light hamstring and lower back
    Light conditioning
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Anaerobic exercise immediately after workout
    By benmuscle in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-18-2011, 05:03 AM
  2. Replies: 38
    Last Post: 08-16-2011, 03:40 PM
  3. How many sets do you do per workout while on?
    By sundevil04 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-21-2011, 03:33 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-03-2006, 01:14 AM
  5. Requesting Workout.exercise tips for my GIrlfriend...
    By JordyRoc in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-05-2005, 06:18 AM
Log in
Log in