Do you qualify?

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
:hammer: Ok sit down, class.. I'd like to take this time to share abit about myself, my training style(lack thereof), and where I'd like to go with my training.. Pretty much, just think about what "bodybuilding" means to you..

I started out under 5' tall, under 150lbs, and weak from coming off a drug overdose and alcohol poisoning.. I started with afew friends in college who did mainly compounds for strength and size.. I didn't curl until I was 19, I began lifting when I was 15.. All I did was 3 days a week, bench on Monday, deadlift on Wednesday, squat on Friday.. Every week, I was forced to go up 10lbs each time in my worksets.. After doctors telling me my efforts to build would be in vain, I've gained and been over 220lbs on afew occaisions, of course I gained lots of fat with it.. 14 years later, I'm now enjoying a steady off-season weight of 202, BK is no longer the base of my bulking diets(sort of).. I do compete, more for the feeling of getting a goal complete, I don't wish to become famous, or pro.. I'd like to get back to 220 and maintain it at a lower bf% than usual..

I'm an ISSA certified trainer, I train clients for a healthclub chain, and I do online consultations for old clients I've had since college. Right now, I have no problems with my health that I've had before, and I get bloodwork done every 3 months to make sure I didn't do any permanent damage in my young & stupid times..

So, what's YOUR story? ;)

MaDmaN

MaDmaN

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Im doing leg's right now, but I love this type of thread Pete..I will put it together and post it tommorow....Kudo's to you man,this is a great way to get to know others

:goodpost:

Sticks

Get big or die trying
Awards
  • Established
I started lifting when I was 15 years old. It was a program put together by my football coach, and looking back on it was actually pretty solid. It looked a lot like dogcrapps workouts. I was always a "husky" kid and this only got worse in highschool. I played center, and D end in highschool so I was always pushed to gain weight. This push got me all the way up to 230 plus pounds w/over 20% bf. Around my tenth grade year I decided that being fat wasn't all it was cracked up to be. So I dieted my way down to around 190 lbs. For a 16-17 year old I actually did it pretty well, over a year or so, and gained strength the whole time.

Losing all that weight actually helped me w/football making me a helluva lot quicker. After highschool I went to college, and played football for 2 years at a DI AA college before deciding to hang it up. For the first six months after I stopped playing football I trained about every day overtraining myself badly. Then I found this site, and I began thinking about how I hadn't made any progress since I started doing my "flex" rountines, and have now constucted my own routine from all the info here.

Today i'm around 215, and the calipers say im 6% bf, but I don't believe it (I think i'm higher). Through my years of training for football i've developed a love for bodybuilding/weight training, and now want to make a living with in the sport. Hopefully through owning my own gym, or as a strength coach for a college football team. But would like to first get certified as a personal trainer. Not sure if i could deal w/the clientel you get at most health clubs though(what's your opinion pete). I'm still young, and am looking forward to putting together my first cycle in the next year. My goals for next summer are 225 at 5% bf.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
All through high school I was a buck 50 to a buck 60. I had a VERY fast metabolism and was actually pretty toned. I owe the toneness to playing sports all through elementary school, and high school. I was involved in baseball, football, basketball, swimming, and one year I played hockey.

Although I was a fairly athletic individual, I was mainly a stoner. ANd that was what I was labeled as in high school. I was still cool with everyone though cuz of the diversity.

Starting at the age of 14, I used to do so many drugs it would make your head spin. Heroin, coke, crack, weed, LSD, you name it, I did it. Not until I turned 21 did I see wtf I was doing to my life and it was going downhill fast. All around me were friends of mine addicted to heroin and dropping like flies from OD'ing. This was my life....a continuous party...sounds good huh?....heh, live it and then talk to me....

A few months after I turned 21, I was kicked out of my parents house, living with a stripper and decided it was time to take fvcking charge....I quit hanging out, quit smoking cigs, druggin', etc..

So during the month of September, I found a really good program to teach me about BB'ing, DIET :thumbsup: , etc...and didn't look back. I followed everything to a "T"....because this was my new addiction, this was my new life, and this was what I owe everything I have now to which I didn't or couldn't have if I'd of never started BB'ing...

I spent the majority of my free time on the boards here and other places when I wasn't lifitng....

By that winter, I had a VERY good grasp on things, purchased my homey gym from finaly being able to hold a damn job, and get my own place...I was still in college during that time and my grades also show a vERY good improvement then....this was 2002--winter.

Okay, by New Years of that same year, I got my weight up to 180-185 and feeeling VERY good. I kept pluggin away and about the same time I turned 22, I started dabbling around with PH/pS's...1-AD being my first cycle...BY that summer, I got up to 200lbs. and was fvckin' ecstatic about it. :D

Kept pluggin, kept eatin', and by that next fall after with a couple more VERY short PH cycles, I got my self up to 220-230....alot of fat though......then I did the zig-zag thing and got up to where I'm at currently 240 at about 12-13%BF.....

Weight comes on fairly easy for me. It's just I NEVER ate in high school, and I was always HIGH...that ain't a good combo for a big, strong physique. SO when I started not only eating, but eating MAD amounts of food consistently, I gained, and gained quickly. And I got the stretch marks to prove it....horrible...simply horrible...

This is your life Jergo....!!!
(and noone probably gives a fvck) :D

Okay so how many people actually read the whole thing? :hammer: :icon_lol:

MaDmaN

MaDmaN

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Ok im done with leg's and the wife is asleep...
Let me say up front Sorry for the long post but you might find it interesting and if not, Too bad :rofl:

I sent away for a bodybuilding ad that said secret's to make you big...

What I got was a muscle mag with special workouts and protien to buy.I remember looking at a picture of Harold Poole now I dont know if you guy's are old enough, but he was kind of freaky looking.Now im 12 years old and im thinking just looking at this magazine is going to make me look freaky too,so under the bed it went..That's how it started

I trained on and off for 20 years before I got serious in 1991 and competed in 2 shows..The Merrimack valley in Lowell and the Bay State in Worcestor Mass..I placed 5th in tall class my first show.The following week was the Baystate and there were some terrific Bodybuilders that day,in the tall class alone there were 15 competitors,plus this show was an AAU nationial qualifier...

Prior to this I broke my femur and had a rod put through the bone for 13 months.They had to remove muscle from my right thigh in order to get the rod in..The Doctor's told me I would never squat heavy again and laughed at me when I told him I was going to compete...

Three years later im on stage...kiss my ass Doctor wackoff..I should mention those shows were not drug tested so I went up against juicers and held my own...

I got married a couple of times after that had a daughter so life was #1 and training was an after thought.I married for the third time 5 years ago to a wonderful women who is pregnant now and I also have a 20 year old from a previous marriage.
10 years go by now im 44 weigh 303 lbs waist 44 drank vodka every weekend and smoked a pack of newports a day..

I kept hearing **** from people remember when you were muscleman now your fatman what gives,and you know what I did not give a ****.I could not walk the Emeril square mall without taking a rest WTF im too young to be feeling like this.
One night I had a dream that I was ripped and saw striations in my chest,I woke up and for a moment felt great then realized it was only a dream but for a moment I got the feeling again..They next day I went out and bought this stuff and stuffed it into an 8X8 room take a look below...I have been back training it will be 10 months August 1st and I have lost 65 lbs I weigh 238 waist 34 and dropping.I can honestly say I have not missed one workout during that time and am having so much dam fun this time around,although the injuries the groin pulls all the fun stuff is back only worse..I plan on competing in USBF Northeast Natural 45 and over class in Seekonk Mass. October 23rd..Hopefully I can rip up in time,the diet is their the progress is their, it's just a question of time..At 45 loosing bodyfat is alot slower then what it was when I was 30,but I have more mass now go figure...Here is my sanctuary.There is a powershack gym right down the street and I can afford it,but ya know what This room motivates the hell out of me call me crazy....

This room is 8x8

Check these out they rule...I love Dumbell incline presses I use 75lbs for reps and the 85lbs for my 8-10 range the problem is after I exhaust the full range then I start on partial reps until there is nothing left..The problem the dam dumbells were smashing holes in the floor,now I didn't care so much about the holes as I was tearing my bicep trying to ease the weight down..check these out I just got em the best $50 I ever spent.Just hook them on your olympic bar and away you go...

Last edited:
Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
At 15 years old, I was 6'1" at 160lbs. Yup, pretty damn skinny. Started lifting with the basics that I knew at the time. Push ups and concentration curls a 32.5lb cement weight dumbbell. I'm sure you all remember those weights. Anywho, I got a little stronger but didn't any real weight, meanwhile getting picked on by basically anyone that was bigger than me. During the summer between 9th-10th grade, still not knowing much about nutrition, I started drinking 1 gallon of whole milk everyday in conjunction with my normal diet. During that summer, I put on about 20lbs and showed up to school around 180lbs for the 10th grade year.

Immediately, all my buddies were like "holy ****, how did you gain so much weight, you must be on steroids." I admit, I liked the extra attention, didn't deny steroid use, and started to love weightlifting in general. I finally got a weight set that year for Christmas and started doing bench press along with all upper body exercises, still not paying attention to leg work of any sort. In 10th grade, I was benching about 205ish and feeling pretty good.

11th grade came around, still doing strictly upper body, trying squats once every blue moon reading flex and mucle and fitness religiously ignoring most nutrition tips, going straight for the training section. By time 11th grade was over, I was benching about 305 weighing about 185.

12th grade began and ended with me joining the marine corps, no lifts changed at all that year.

Marine Corps (1997), lost all weight back down to 160, during boot camp. Gained it all back directly afterwards.

Shoot forward 2 years, I'm starting to work legs now, and I've discovered my first roid, dbol. Weight shoots up to 235lbs, I'm benching close to 400 now, squating about the same. After a few cycles where I didn't know what I was doing, i.e. shooting eq every day, but using sustanon every 2 weeks, etc, I got off all gear and here I am today.

For about 1-2 years, I basically stopped eating right, lifting right, and went through some kind of phase that I still don't understand. Drinking damn near everyday, smoking about a pack of marlboro reds everyday, tried shrooms a few times, basically being a jackass.

Anywayz, shoot forward to now. Weight is at 248lbs, 12%bf, ready to start my first real cycle in 116 days (yup, that's the date I get out). This time, with a bit more knowledge thanks to this board.

Goddamn, that was long. :think:

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I read yours, now read mine :thumbsup:
I have a very slow metabolism and a very lazy, overweight family to prove it (several 200+ lb females). My story is different from all you guys in that my true love is not bodybuilding, it is BASEBALL. Not to brag, but I was very good. The problem is that I was a big kid, so when i got older I was stuck as DH or 1B...I was captain of my team my senior year, all county, blah, blah..But when it came time for scouts to evaluate me, they all said the same thing "He would be great if he had a stronger, quicker build."

This pissed me off and I got into working out around the age of 16 or 17. What I found is that I enjoyed the strength and conditioning programs in the off-season more than I enjoyed playing the actual game. Every morning I wake up wishing that I had known about a healthy, complex diet during high school because I probably would have been able to play college ball.

About a year went by of my dreaming of being a pro bodybuilder, but I realized that I don't like using lots of drugs, and that it wasn't what I really wanted. I'm now in my third year at Florida Atlantic University studying Exercise Physiology, and after I have my Bachelors, I plan on going onto grad school at the University of Florida. I'd really like to train people (specifically athletes), but I'm still learning a lot everyday. I love working out and trying to get huge, but I really love learning about the body and how it works.

Thats my story.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I started training seriously at 18 almost 19. I was 150lbs 5'10''. by the time I was 24 I reached 262lbs 20'' arms. I had some personal problems to deal with and it took awhile but now at just turning 26 I'm back up to 248 lbs as of today and just as strong as I was at 262lbs. I hope to hit 21'' arm mark and get and stay lean. At this point I will be happy. LOL at least for a few weeks. I also forgot to mention at 19 I strated to research for hours every day online, m`gazines, books and everthing I could get my hands on. I'm also certified by the NFOPT.

zeromagnus

Board Supporter
Awards
I began lifting in 8th grade for junior high football. I dreaded the workouts, as I was much weaker than everyone else. I weighed about 130-135lbs even though I ate everything I could. Nineth grade wasn't much different with me weighing maybe 140lbs and still much weaker than my peers. Tenth grade is when things changed for me. I still didn't enjoy squats much, and focused mainly on upper body exercises, but I started eating better and taking creatine. I quit football that year but continued to lift, as I had found a release for all that ails me (and much ails me). 11th and 12th grade I researched/read online for a couple hours everyday and realized that my lack in increase in weight as well as strength was due to not consuming enough protein. I started buying whey and immediately noticed a good weight/strength jump. I now weighed around 165-170. I also started doing lower body exercises as well. End of my senior year I was around 175lbs and even though my diet was good and I was training properly, I again had hit a wall. In college I started researching about PH/PS and did several cycles of 1-test/4ad transdermal. Got great results, especially strength-wise. As I did more and more research, I decided it was time to try the "real" deal. I started out weighing 183 four weeks ago, and now weigh 202 with huge increases in strength. I'm still in college, pursuing a BS in Biomedical Engineering (a bit different from those wanting to be in the sports/training field). After I have my BS, I will go on to graduate school and then probably on to getting my doctorate. As of right now, I wish to be involved in research and development with regards to nanotechnology. So I guess that's another thing that motivated me. I was viewed as a nerd for so long (in junior high and high school), I really wanted to change that, and so lifting weights (with special attention to strength rather than size) has really helped me. So, I'm just a big nerd, who is now actually kinda big and kinda strong, heh.

GettinSwole

Awards
All through high school I was a moderately popular guy who played basketball and soccer for the school. I was never a starter in basketball simply because I was weak. I could have remedied that at any time, but never took on weight lifting. I was 5'5" 110 lbs when I entered high school. At graduation I was 5'8" 125 lbs. After two years of college, i weighed 129lbs. My father began working out as recommended by his doctor and began taking me with him. This was June one year ago. I began to love it immediately as all my strengths went up fast and I felt better about myself as I put on weight. LOL my bench was 115 for 8 reps when I began a year ago. I began getting online and reading up on these boards and learned alot about strength and mass gaining. I set myself up a good split, began taking in alot of protein and using creatine. By Christmas I gained up to 145lbs. By spring break I gained up to 149 and was feeling great b/c I looked alot fuller and muscular. My bench had gone up to 175 for 8 reps. In May, I decided to do a PH cycle and am currently weighing 163lbs @ 10% BF. It's fun to see my friends from college after such a drastic change. I trasnferred schools before last fall and I see some of my friends from the other school periodically and they don't recognize me most of the time. I'm going up to visit in September and can't wait to see the look on their faces. I weigh almost 40 lbs more than I did this time last year and my bench press sits @ 205 for 8 reps. Thanks for starting this thread Pete

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Throughout highschool I was 5'10" and 128 pounds with a really bad attitude and not much backing it up lol.

I took a weight training class back then but didn't take it seriously. I learned a lot about lifting but absolutely nothing about diet so it was all kind of a wash.

In college I started lifting a little more regularly and along with normal puberty I got up to about 147 pounds. By the end of college I was married and with the slowing of my metabolism I became a doughy 155 with stick thin legs..not attractive.

I made a resolution to start getting in shape, lift seriously and eat better. I shot up to 167 with some pretty decent definition. I really dug my new muscle but I didn't know anything about BBing diets so I was stuck at this wieght for about 2-3 years despite some serious lifting that lead to over-training.

I started reading online sources which were contradictory and lame but did reveal to me that I needed more protein. With a higher protein intake I went up to 172 and was gaining consistently until a major field survey knocked me back down to 155. This was excrutiating to lose all that mass so I started researching PH's about 3 years ago.

My first cycle brought me back up to 172 and other cycles have brought me up to about 182. I plan to hit the 200 pound mark this year and try to stay there without anabolics. I have no plans of being a competitve BBer but I do find it to be a fascinating pursuit.

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I've made this just to get the motivational factor from each member.. I see all the little guys tryin' to bulk up, and gain afew pounds as inspiring.. When I have a client that thinks they can't do something, I make sure they get to a point where they're confident enough to at least try.. That's what the lifestyle is all about to me, **** a piece of plastic that says I was in damn good shape for only one day.. ;)

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
For me it is a life long pursuit to get in gradually better and better condition. I suppose competition is a possibility but it's not a real motivating factor for me as I'm not a competitive kinda guy.

All in all in today's society of 70% obesity I look like a god. lol

wranglergirl

wranglergirl

Awards
  • Established
And now from a girl....................

Ok cliff note version 19, and heavy, although I played highschool volleyball and softball in college ( first yr ) i ate and drank and drank....LOL met some stupid guy who told me I was fat and I decided to join a gym( which I really did love) and show him who was fat.....This is how it began..........

After going from like 218 to 120 in less than a year,( standing at 5'11) loseing my hair and friends telling me I was going to die ( and the funny thing that same guy was one of my "friends" who was than telling me I needed to eat.....LOL ) so hello eating disorder........

Out of college I meet my first personal trainer who really set me straight, he showed me that diet was key and that I can do it, he got me into powerlifting...... I did that for 2 years and enjoyed it,( held the squat record in my state for a year) I liked challenging my body, I also got into helping people who were overweight lean out and that was very cool to see..........

Around 28, 29, 30, good god the body went to ****....LOL a battle with cancer, chemo and fighting for me, my life, getting back down to 120, and losing all my muscle,a child that I had taught passed away, i thought I was going to die right than and there, I broke the rule I got attached, he was my favorite.......( Bad, bad teacher)..........

I decided to get back into lifting, and dieting, and that i could do it, so broke hearted I started running, karate, eating right, lifting again........ and well here i am today, Minor set back of a broken foot, but healed or so they say, so now I can seriously train and get back to where I was before I got sick, my "happy self" if you will, where I was happy with me........145pds, and trying new things.......bladeing, running, spin class, karate...anything active.......

It's funny i have been to thin, to heavy, and 2 times a month i go and speak to girls who have eating disorders,( something I still battle from time to time) take my pictures with me and share my story, I always close with the same line, dosen;t matter in the end as long as you like you.....cause your all that counts :)

MaDmaN

MaDmaN

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
And now from a girl....................

Ok cliff note version 19, and heavy, although I played highschool volleyball and softball in college ( first yr ) i ate and drank and drank....LOL met some stupid guy who told me I was fat and I decided to join a gym( which I really did love) and show him who was fat.....This is how it began..........

After going from like 218 to 120 in less than a year,( standing at 5'11) loseing my hair and friends telling me I was going to die ( and the funny thing that same guy was one of my "friends" who was than telling me I needed to eat.....LOL ) so hello eating disorder........

Out of college I meet my first personal trainer who really set me straight, he showed me that diet was key and that I can do it, he got me into powerlifting...... I did that for 2 years and enjoyed it,( held the squat record in my state for a year) I liked challenging my body, I also got into helping people who were overweight lean out and that was very cool to see..........

Around 28, 29, 30, good god the body went to ****....LOL a battle with cancer, chemo and fighting for me, my life, getting back down to 120, and losing all my muscle,a child that I had taught passed away, i thought I was going to die right than and there, I broke the rule I got attached, he was my favorite.......( Bad, bad teacher)..........

I decided to get back into lifting, and dieting, and that i could do it, so broke hearted I started running, karate, eating right, lifting again........ and well here i am today, Minor set back of a broken foot, but healed or so they say, so now I can seriously train and get back to where I was before I got sick, my "happy self" if you will, where I was happy with me........145pds, and trying new things.......bladeing, running, spin class, karate...anything active.......

It's funny i have been to thin, to heavy, and 2 times a month i go and speak to girls who have eating disorders,( something I still battle from time to time) take my pictures with me and share my story, I always close with the same line, dosen;t matter in the end as long as you like you.....cause your all that counts :)

That's a Bump, Good luck in your comeback,I have no doubt you will get to where you want to be..From a fellow Rhode Islander...

wranglergirl

wranglergirl

Awards
  • Established
Thank you :) I know I will and hey I have been through it all ( it seems) I am patient and a hard worker.......

MaDmaN

MaDmaN

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
BUMP........C'mon guys and girls..This thread is great,lets keep it going.... :whip:

wranglergirl

wranglergirl

Awards
  • Established
Agreed I like reading the stories, although mine continues and I am not so happy with it........:( damn doctors, now my stubborn streak comes out, I will not, I will not listen, I will doctor myself......:lol:

Deano

Awards
Ok, here is the story. I was always a "chubby" kid when growing up. Got into highschool

and was still yet the fat "nice" kid according to the ladies. Even though i was a fat kid i
was always really athletic for my size, and didn't really get picked on that much because
of playing sports (football, track). Well, in 12th grade after football season i was at an all
time high at 6'0" and 285 lbs. I was sick and tired of it and desided to do something about
it. Well in about 9 months i lost the 85 pounds and was feeling great, my strength was still
there so i desided to bulk some. I got up to about 215 and i desided get that body fat down
low. Well, just like you guys have heard so many times before i droped cals to much and did
way to much cardio (3 mile jog 5 days a week). Got down to 195 but got really week. I saw a
picture of myself and could not belive how i looked, i was like i never picked up a weight.
I then dropped the cardio and the high volume routine, up the cals and started to bulk. Well
i put on 35 pounds in three months and was getting strong as hell, but my waist was growing
just as fast. So, starting about a month ago i got my diet and workout in order with the help
of IA and all of you guys and am back down to 220 and can see my first row of abs, and
getting stronger everyworkout.........And the journey continues.
Deano

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Hang in there WG! Your story is amazing, its an honor to have you among us.

On an editorial note I weighed in at 185 today. Gooo M1T! woohoo.

wranglergirl

wranglergirl

Awards
  • Established
Thanks Bioman, never say die right??? !!! :) Congrads on your weight in......

UncalledFor

Awards
I started playing football at the age of 15. Started a little late because my father wouldn't let me play sports because of my grades. Well, I got thrown around like a rag doll due to only being around 165 lbs. at 6'2. I started lifting a little not knowing what the hell I was doing, struggling benching 95 lbs. I didn't gain anything from this besides an attitude. My senior year I joined the weight training class at the school. By this time I was up to around 175 lbs. at 6'3. I was benching around 165 and proud of it. I was still clueless about lifting. My dad went out and bought me some creatine and weider weight gainer. At that time I thought I was going to get freakin huge fast from it. Oh yeah, and football had become my favorite thing in the world by that time. The coaches put me at D-end. I ended up getting to around 185 by graduation. I joined the military. I weighed in at 187 lbs. at 6'4. I ended up getting stationed in Korea, where the only thing to do there is drink and lift weights. Oh yeah, the drinking age was 19. I was 18. oops. Well this is the place where I learned the basics. I was buying every muscle mag I could. I learned a lot about lifting there. I ended up leaving Korea after 1 year at 210. Maybe had a little beer gut. Oh well. I could bench 245 lbs. Which is a great success for me. My next base was in Germany. I was a little cocky when I first got here. I started getting my priorities all mixed up and was concentrating on the women and booze. I pretty much lost sight of the gym. Well I got in a little trouble and wasn't aloud to drink or leave the base. So I figure what better time to get in the gym than now when I have nothing else to do. So I start buying the mags again. Start doin a little research on supps and found my way to the biggest ads in every magazine, and we all know that muscle tech takes the cake on that. So I buy a little Cell Tech. I started lifting again, struggling with 185 lbs. I was a little salty. Well here I am 1 year later, in the best shape of my life. I didn't start taking PH's till about 6 months ago. They have been good to me. All the info on this sight has made me a lot smarter with my goals and priorities. I still have along way to go and I will never stop until I am forced to. I still play football for a German team. Bodybuiling has changed my life. Thats it. Holla back.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
I started lifting at 13 with my dad cause he was getting me ready for football. I started at 5-8 and 170-180. Made good pogress and I overate at the suggestion of my coach I was 5-11 & 270 when I graduated high school and could bench 325. I was an OT and DT. I went on to play community college ball where I ballooned to 335, lost speed, and gained way too much fat, and was replaced by mid way through my sophomore season. I challenged myself to get lean in order to regain some self esteem. I was just emotioanlly crushed after being benched, coaches were on my ass cause I was not in good enough shape to play DT. I am down to 277 but my bf is 16.2% now according to those hand held devices. I guess I'll be cutting for a while.

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
I was the fat nice guy in high school, and all through my freshman year of college as well. Managed to get up to 305 and over 50% bodyfat by my 19th birthday. As soon as I got away from the dorms (3 months later) I started eating less and walking my dog (not healthier, but less) and got down to probably 290 over the summer. Went back to school and started walking to all my classes (when I went) and dropped another 5-10 by the time I turned 20. Right around then it all kinda hit me... I was going to have a really boring and shitty life if I couldn't go out and enjoy it by being active.
I signed up for "beginning weight training" and "elementary swimming" in the spring quarter and through the circut training (bleh) I learned in the weights class, and the cardio from swimming, I got down to 275 by June. At this point I started lifting with a "men's fitness" guy (i.e. that is his bible... and arnold), and learned about "splits" and free weights. I started running stadiums 2-4 times a week for my cardio.
After that Summer I went off on my own (men's fitness boy wasn't "power" oriented, and I was very intriqued by p/l (still am) ata the time), and started to educate myself on many more things beyond protien shakes, xenadrine and creatine. As of right now I'm around 215 (I had to go home for a week due to a family emergency, and then got sick the week before finals week (which just ended)), and pissed off that I put so much crap ass weight back on... even though my strength is up a decent amount... bleh... Gettin back on the horse tomorow and it's ON for the next three months.

ManBeast

wranglergirl

wranglergirl

Awards
  • Established
I hear ya manbeast about falling off the damn horse, I broke my foot of all things preparing for a karate tournament, freak accident and whamo, I was not happy.....But i am working really hard to get back to where I was :) So good luck and keep the faith!!!!!!!

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the support, and best of luck with your goals as well! You will all be able to tell my mood regarding my weight by the icon in my sig :D

ManBeast

200wannabe

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Great thread..

Well I didn’t start lifting until i was about 24, and at the time it was mostly for vanity. I started out at 145lbs at 6'1" !! Yes i was a rake, yet strangely didn’t have any definition either!

Money was tight at the time and I was far to intimidated to go to a gym but I managed to acquire and old bench and some plastic sand filled weights, these shoved in my backroom became my gym. Having no idea about lifting or diet I made a start with routines from Men’s Health. With no changes in diet I put on only a few pounds but did see some definition. My training continued sporadically for a couple of years with very little changing, then I discovered a HIT site on the internet and got myself a training partner. Together we would do two full body routines twice a week, focusing on 20rep squats, deadlifts and presses. My strength leaped forward but my weigth only made it about as far as 165, however I was quite well defined at that stage.

I believed at the time that as I was lifting I could eat anything and my muscles would just burn away those calories! Combined with an active social life, some recreational drugs and a boat load of booze nothing much changed for a couple more years, my HIT workouts that were once intense and full of determination had become infrequent and I was just going through the motions. That was about 2 years ago. Eventually I got annoyed with myself and my skinny body and really made an effort to get back into my lifting, I upped the volume slightly and worked more intensly than ever having to take a few days of work and not being able to get out of bed after a training session! That did bring on a couple more pounds and a bit more strength but it was not until I focused on diet that I began to see changes. I am still working on the diet, for me the hard part is putting away the amount of cals I need, I am currently at 185lb with visible abs and a long way to go. The more I lift the more I realise that its not just about being intense in the gym its about being disciplined each and every day to do the little things. Tools like fitday.com and this board have helped immensely, I will get to 200lbs.

scipio

Ruthless.
Awards
I’m not really a body builder per say, I just enjoy lifting and getting stronger, which helps me with sports. Currently 5’9� 175.

Sooo…I first started lifting weights in 7th grade when I was brought up to wrestle varsity for the H.S. I was a little 91 lb kid with awesome abs. When wrestling started I got an old bench press from my grandparent’s garage, but only lifted when the coaches, or my parents made me. I’d say the summer going into my junior year was when I really started lifting religiously. I got decently strong following the football coaches routine, but only weighted 135 junior and senior years, probably had a max bench of around 200.

First year of wrestling in college I really filled out, and got up to 161 during Christmas, which wasn’t good because I had to cut down to 141 a week later. I finished out the season, and lost more muscle then I began with because I had to constantly cut weight. School ended, summer began.

Continued working out all summer until sophomore year when I walked into the season at about 159, coach wanted me to go 141, I decided 152 was a better idea. Got hurt halfway through with a separated rib. Couldn’t do anything for the next 4 months. Found this site and decided to start lifting right. That brings me to junior year when I got into a fight; broke the Metacarpal in my right hand and it healed all fucked up because I didn’t have insurance at the time, couldn’t workout and lost strength/weight again (seems to be a re-occurring theme). Junior year was the first time not wrestling in 8 years due to my hand, and was a real bummer, really depressing time. I found Brazilian jiu-jitsu around October, started lifting hard again, and have brought my weight up to 175 from 152ish, with a max bench of about 310.

My goal is to get my bench up to 400 while trying to stay under 185, and implement more Olympic Lifts.

Now I’d like to thank all you guys for all the help I’ve gotten while here, and sorry for the long winded post.

Last edited:

kmac6225

king of useless information!!!
Awards
  • Established
good reads people...pete - nice idea starting this thread up

Here's my story....

I've been the little guy all my life and still fighting that uphill battle. Have always played sports and was told I'd never be good b/c of my size. I said screw it and proved a lot of people wrong. Then I got to high school and found a sport that I had to be small, I was a coxswain for th crew team (rowing). Anyway I had to stay as light as possible and didn't even hit 100lb til senior year in high school. When i graduated and got to college I was a massive 118 lbs!! I started lifting according to the almighty M&F magazines and just eatting whatever the caf could feed me. I put on some wieght but nothing too impressive. During sophomore year I learned about diet and training. Since then I've focused on the fundamentals and have gone from my skelator 130lbs to as high as 168lbs, I currently sit at ~161. Kids I see from high school are SHOCKED that its me, which is all the more reason to keep at it. I want to compete one day but not any time this year.

Anyway, that's my story. i guess even the littlest, skinniest guys can do it if I can. And I sure as hell am nowhere close to where I want to be but I've spent my whole life doing what a lot of people said I couldn't haha.

like scipio said, thanks to everyone here who's given advice and words of wisdom over the last year and a half

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Thanks everyone! :)

It's a thread like this that we can look onto for inspiration, just knowing that we all have our "demons" and have fought tooth & nail to get to where we are.. It's only going to get better, work harder and stay focused.. :thumbsup:

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Man, reading this after finishing my Jack-in-the-Box meal was not a good idea.

lol

stryder

stryder

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
...when one comes to grips with their own mortality it is a real eye-opener, I'm sure. But something happens to you, a deep introspect takes place that reveals who you truly are and what you're made of. Things that seem so personal, so important, instantly becomes trivial. You realize the "unimportant" things, you know the things you take for granted each and everyday: like a smile, a simple thank you, an "I love you", or calling your mom, becomes monumental. Something we wish we had done more of and hate that we wasted away. The simple truth of the matter is, when we are faced with hardships, trials and tribulations, is when the very essence of our personality, or soul -if you wish- transcends the outer surface layer of our self. Life is too short to hold grudges, harbor bitterness from past hurts, preserve guilt for our past mistakes...It's just to short to carry all that baggage!
When we are breathing our last few breaths, I believe what we have done to bless those around us, those we come in contact with on a daily basis at work, at home, or even a stranger at the grocery store, will be more important...even gratifying, than how much we have done for ourselves.

Keeping blessing those little kids, Wranglergirl...and my prayers are with you.

Nate Dawg

Awards
  • Established
i'll have to say wranglegirl you are a very inspirational person.

though my story isn't by far exciting nor inspiring but here it is...

i started lifing around eight years old. i'd watch bodybuilders on tv so i would find my heaviest toys and curl them all morning long. by 7th and 8th grade i was around 145lbs. i stood around 5'10''..i was pretty big for my age. i went from the tallest in my class to the second shortest by the time i graduated. i stopped growing before high school. i was obsessed with lifting. not with the looks but the strength. i played lots of sports but football was tops. i recieved several honors through high school and played in an all-star game. by my junoir year i competed in a power-lifting meet at 178lbs...i took 1st in everything. i was benching around 280lbs and squated 425lbs. my senoir yr bench didn't go up but squats were around 450 while i weighed 180lbs. i graduated and started playing juco ball at defensive back. during practice i got my second concussion and a nasty virus on top of it, i dropped down to 170lbs. the doc said if i continued to play w/ the concussion it would prolly kill me over. so i quit. i started lifing heavy and ate everything i saw. within a year i jumped up to 245lbs and went to another college to play full-back. after a good year and a few hamstring tears i decided enough was enough and walked. moved on to my 3rd college where i'm majoring in criminal justice. after the 3rd try at dead-lifts i got 515lbs....thought i would throw that in somewhere:D ..i dieted down to 205 and i've been working my way up. i'm weighing around 220 currently, benching hopefully 350 in the next week or so, squating around 520 also. this site has helped me soo much. there is such a diversity of back-grounds and experiences here from people we don't even really know, but we still share our lives with. live and learn.

knox

Awards
  • Established
ahhhhh dammit! the following post by nate-dawg is really from me. he really needs to start logging off my computer when he is done. his life story is a hell-of-lot more lame. :poke:

:D :D :D :D

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
In high school I was tall and skinny (6'4, 190) and my lifting consisted of bench press, curls and lat pulls, supplemented by a diet of McDonalds and candy.

In college I drank alot of beer and got fat. I had an ROTC scholarship, so I did army pt three times a week and hit the gym enough to make me pass the PT test (I only did 17 of the required 42 push ups on my first PT test). Around my junior year I finally buckled down and began running every day and lost most of my fat.

After I was commissioned as a 2LT, I went to Offic Basic Course and once again got fat. Toward the end of it, after failing a tape test, I began running every day, and having a strict diet of ephedra, water, and protein powder. After losing alot of fat, and almost all my muscle mass, I got down to a lean 220.

After going to Germany and my first unit, I drank beer and ate too much schnitzel and again got fat. Up to like 240 25% BF. I barely passed my tape test, and I took up smoking. I met my wife and knew right off the bat that she wouldn't even think about dating a smoker, let alone a fat smoker, so I quit and took up bodybuilding. I started running, doing aerobics and lifting. Then I "discovered" the magical world of nutrition. I began to gain strength and size like crazy.

When I deployed to Kuwait for seven months, I got to use the awesome gym facilities and focus 100% on bodybuilding. I tried a few different prohormones and came back a lean 240, 10% BF. My goal is to see how big I can get....and make my arms match the rest of my body :).

Looking forward to reading more threads from other people on the board.....keep em coming!

Funny Monkey

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
when I was 14 years old I topped the scale at 311 lbs yep thats rigth 14 and over 300. I played football my sophmore year of highschool and had a good time. When I was 16 years old I had had it. I had tried every diet out there and none of them worked. I hated myself I was digusting. I had a 49.5" waste and around 15" fat arms. Makes my stomach turn just thinking about it.

I read about this new unheard of diet called the Atkins diet. This guy said I could eat all I want and lose weight. Hell yeah I liek the sound of that.

By the time I was 18 I weighed 190 lbs and ran a lot. The guy that lived next to me in the dorms got me into weightlifting and thats when I decided to be huge. I worked out 6 days a week for 2 to 3 hours at a time I ate clean just not near enough. Later I got into nutrition and proper training.
I am now almost 22 I weigh 230lbs 12% bf with a 34" waste. The only thing that sucks is that everyday I look in the mirror I am reminded by my childhood sins because of the loose skin around my waste and back. I was at <10% bf this last spring and still not one abb.. I plan to have and operation to remove it in the next 3 years or so and I will compete before I am 28. Everyday I either eat or train for my competition in 6 years

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I just wanted to bump this up. This is a good thread, not sure how I missed it.

I've got most of my training story in my pictures thread contained in my signature, so I won't bore you.

But, I am sitting here today at about 188 lbs or so. So, I've come a long way from the 150 lbs in my 2001 pictures.

Hopefully some of the newer folks can post their stories.

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
:hammer: Right now, I have no problems with my health that I've had before, and I get bloodwork done every 3 months to make sure I didn't do any permanent damage in my young & stupid times..
Guess since it's been bumped, I'll update..

In 2004 early June, I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.. I had flu-like symptoms for alittle over a month, and doctors couldn't figure it out.. I had meningitis, the viral strain which usually kills you.. I've had the parasitic infection as a kid, so I was bound to catch it again later.. Lucky me, I didn't lose much weight at all, but I did in a sense lose abit of my spirit.. Before then, I've been battling reoccurring depression, now my current situation is adding to it bigtime.. I think the cool part is my 9yr old daughter calls me regularly to make sure I'm taking my meds, eating right/enough.. That's all I got going right now, I'm actually abit out of it right now, seeing a therapist twice a week..

So, now you know..

UHCougar05

UHCougar05

Awards
  • Established
I guess I'll take a turn. Started lifting in 8th grade for football. I was about 170-180 at the time. Strength was decent, but nothing really to write home about. Enter high school and I'm still playing football and lifting for it. As of now I'm going around 195-205. Then I meet the person who would change my lifting goals forever. The sport of powerlifting was relatively new to my area and since I had the build for it, I figured, why the hell not. My powerlifting coach, Paul Springer, introduced me to the sport and I was hooked. I did decently at the JV level my freshman and sophmore year, and even held the USPF 14-15 Texas State Squat record for a few months. Come my junior year my season ended with a class II sprain to my MCL and PCL. So while football was over, I focused on getting better for powerlifting. I was running anywhere from 200-205, and dieting down to make the 198s (man that sucked balls, especially when my method of dieting was that of a crash diet). Did fairly well my junior, Springer had left during the fall and one of the football coaches picked up the ball and ran with it and my friend and I became 'assistant coaches' because we knew how things had to be done during the meet. I missed going to regionals by about 15 pounds on my total.:sad: Summer came and I split my time between home and the gym, of course, when football started, 2-a-days kicked my ass royal.:sick: But the weight remained constant during the football season and my team ended up winning district for the first time in 30 years. Fast forward to January and our first 'meet' of the season. I felt good, unfortunately, my squat suit tore the week before the meet and I was forced to use a suit 2 sizes too big, oh well. Up until then, my best total had been 485-265-465. But I was finally able to stop dieting down and lift in the 220 class (which a friend of mine was glad of because he almost quit because I was stronger than he was and i would be lifing in his class.). So I warmed up and my opener was 425, up and down easy. 2nd attempt 475...3 whites. 3rd, I figured what the hell 505, hit it easy.:twisted: Ended up going 505-300-505. Fast forward to March 2001 and the regional powerlifting meet. 520-285-520 for 6th in the region. I entered college and like most, ended up partying too much and ballooned up to 230. The process continued up until today and I now weigh 255 and carry about 22% bodyfat. And now, the journey will begin again...:hammer: :twisted:

wranglergirl

wranglergirl

Awards
  • Established
Guess since it's been bumped, I'll update..

In 2004 early June, I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.. I had flu-like symptoms for alittle over a month, and doctors couldn't figure it out.. I had meningitis, the viral strain which usually kills you.. I've had the parasitic infection as a kid, so I was bound to catch it again later.. Lucky me, I didn't lose much weight at all, but I did in a sense lose abit of my spirit.. Before then, I've been battling reoccurring depression, now my current situation is adding to it bigtime.. I think the cool part is my 9yr old daughter calls me regularly to make sure I'm taking my meds, eating right/enough.. That's all I got going right now, I'm actually abit out of it right now, seeing a therapist twice a week..

So, now you know..

((((((HUGZ)))))))))

wranglergirl

wranglergirl

Awards
  • Established
Guess i should up date as well...........

After broken foot, being told I have lupus which is a nasty thing to have, I had knee surgery this past June, so almost 2 months ago, I am going for PT x2 a week, i am going to have synvesic ( spelling) Injections to make the fake cartilidge that I now don't have in my knee.......and if that doesnt work than its break my shin bone, move it over and screw it into place, cause i have more pain now than I did before surgery.........But and I say BUT i won't have this surgery i would need a 2nd, 3rd opinion before that happened........

Weighting in at a all time high these days from being blue, and eating the house, and being on my prednosone for the lupus......:(

The highlight of my summer so far was I actually taught spin class this past monday night, 5 weeks out from knee surgery and I was ok..sore but ok :)

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Knew you'd like that.. ;)

shatfield

Board Supporter
Awards
Great thread, you guys are truly inspirational.

So, I guess I'll give a go...

I started lifting when I was about 19 in college. I was at the time 6'4" - 150lbs, pretty damn skinny. Always hated the way I looked.

Then by the end of college, I had a skiing accident and seriously injured my lower back (that inhibited me from doing any compound leg movements). Spent the next couple years just doing rehab and very little 'heavy' lifting.

Finally at about 23, I discovered how important eating was in order to gain weight, and jumped up to about 185lbs.

Everything was going great until I was 24 and I shattered my colar bone and cracked my hip, then I was back out of the gym for almost a year.

25 years old came around and I started getting serious about lifting (again), jumped to about 200. Then I discovered M1T, took 3 cycles and now I'm about 220 (27 years old). Now, I'm currently trying to cut down to maybe 210-215 and then another bulking cycle. Still think I'm too skinny, but slow and steady is my game now. (and no more extreme sports!!!)

Oh, and I just did squats and deads yesterday with no back pain for the first time in 5 years!

Thanks for reading!
Sam

wranglergirl

wranglergirl

Awards
  • Established
Good for you sam :) Belive me i know what its like to have an injury and want to get back to the gym..........Sounds like your doing good!!!!!

shatfield

Board Supporter
Awards
Thanks WG! I'm hanging in there, sucks to take things slowly and not see results right away.

wranglergirl

wranglergirl

Awards
  • Established
Thanks WG! I'm hanging in there, sucks to take things slowly and not see results right away.
Agreed......belive me i know......this knee surgery kicked my ass more than I thought it would.....:( But slow and steady.......