Poll: Best excercise for overall chest mass?

Best Overall Chest Development Excercise

Page 6 of 7 First ... 4567 Last
  1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.

http://www.thefitshow.com/week3/milos_chest_med.htm

I know this has been posted here a couple times in random, old threads, but some of the tips in that video are really helpful..

The main things he's advocating in that vid -- dropping the weight down, really strict form, pausing, mind-muscle connection and all that noise -- really helped me out when my chest was stalled.. so I figured I would just call a little attention to it for whoever may be interested..

2. Registered User

Gotta go with DB incline for this one. Flat DB would have to be second for me. Probably Dips after that.
  3. Registered User

usually i have to do normal bench which for me is alot of triceps. then at the end of a work out i do wide grip to finish my pec workout off. It really depends on the grip for me with flat barbell bench.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  215 lbs.

None of the traditional exercises really did much for me and my pecs, so I just totally went by feel and concocted a homeade recipe that worked for me (like Really worked!)

I alternate between 3 exercises, 2 of which I seem to have invented. I do something I call "pec crunches" where I hold a barbell just above my upper pecs near my neck and do a crunch movement just a few inches up (really works the peak contraction angle). Then instead of regular flyes with arms to the side I just put my arms down toward my hips, and just raise the dumbells from the floor to just past my hips and down again (while keeping my back flat on the bench, no arching). Then I do a bunch of "power twister" flexes (the thing with the big coil spring in the middle and two handles). The one comon theme among these is they all really emphasize the "peak contraction", the one principle I find most effective. I also do the conventional stuff quite often, but these are my 3 favorite that seem to work the best. Isometric Flexing also works good, again all about the peak contraction thing with me.

And one other thing, You can't ignore your front delts! Make sure you INCLUDE front delt work when you work on delts. Your body is only as strong as your weakest link and weak front delts will greatly inhibit your ability to develop your pecs.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  171 lbs.

for me i do heavy flat bench obviosely and dumbell flys after that i do light weight bench and dumbell flys
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  218 lbs.

I love this one trully. and don't get to do it enough. incline seated cable fly's. hooked on the bottom of the cable machines. with a pause @ the closing rep. superset that with some close grip pushups. Burn baby burn.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravoboy View Post
    I love this one trully. and don't get to do it enough. incline seated cable fly's. hooked on the bottom of the cable machines. with a pause @ the closing rep. superset that with some close grip pushups. Burn baby burn.

I do these now as well, but try holding and contracting on each rep hehe. I now have striations between my pecs / upper chest when I never had them before. Closegrip pushups are awesome too, I contract with rep as well and hold the contraction. It's bringing in some nice definition.
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sortabuffdude View Post

And one other thing, You can't ignore your front delts! Make sure you INCLUDE front delt work when you work on delts. Your body is only as strong as your weakest link and weak front delts will greatly inhibit your ability to develop your pecs.

I have problems with my front delts, they are too big lol. I personally don't need to hit them ever with isolation work, they get worked on heavy chest days. Trying to even out my chest to the size of those front delts is a tough task for me lol. My shoulder days only consist of side lateral raises, rear delt work and clean + press / standing military press, occasionally upright rows, but they are by far the largest/most developed muscles on my body.

My main problem is trying not to utilize front delts while working chest, this will hinder chest growth.

Right now I'm straying away from BB press, and just doing incline DB press supersetted with flies, then repeated on flat and decline. Then I move onto cable flies and closegrip pushpress and my pecs are screaming at me the next day.
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  218 lbs.

oh yeah, good stuff.
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.

Been lifting for 5 years and i know this is a ameture question, but as all of you know the chest is a very strong section of the body. It seems as if you could work out doing chest excersises all day. What I want to know is how much is too much in one day? ( 1 Hour-5 Hours- or longer)? When does it become bad for your muscles? How Easy is it to overtrain?
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  195 lbs.

If you are looking to put on mass I would do your flat bench with resistance bands. You will get greet development using any of the exercises on the poll. the problem is how is your chest shaped. The key is not always to go heavy to put mass on. The overall key is to get resistance all the way through the rep. When you push the weight up pause at the top. The bands will push against you requiering you to hold more weight at the top of the lift, I do a 3 to 4 count before I bring the weight down. If you want to be creative you can set up dumbell presses at the cross over machine, If your gym has those leather ankle straps put them at the bottom on each side. Put the leater collars on your wrists. The on the stack put the pins at 20 lbs to start. Now do your presses with the dumbells. You will have the stack going against you each rep. Stay with the same dumbell weight but go up on the stack each set. Your goal is to get the stack up to the same weight as your dumbells. So if the dumbells are 50lds and the stack is 50lbs you are pushing 100lbs but the resistance against you is equal. This is by far the best chest exersize you will ever do. For the record I have my PT cert from NASAM. Good luck with the development.
  13. Registered User

contracting at the end of the movement is so key with chest. Really the burn.
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  187 lbs.

DB Incline FTW.

I swear, it seems like I move up +5 lbs every week on DB Incline.
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  189 lbs.

Just watched that film on chest exercises by Milo. Really great stuff. I learned a lot. Thanks for the link Gutter!
  16. Registered User

Milos' routine, the one where you take no breaks in between. I don't see how that is beneficial at all, except for stamina conditioning.
  17. Registered User

what do you think of push ups for chest development?
  18. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MEH89 View Post
    what do you think of push ups for chest development?
    if you have a training partner to add resistance then they are great.
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  171 lbs.

Cool my lifts

alright i am just curious.
    i do alot of chest, back, and arm work are these lifts good for my size.

flat bench- 250

palms out wide grip pullups- 22

preacher curl- 115

tricep pulldown- 205

for my weight i am outlifting most of the people i lift with but i still dont really know if that is good for a 155 lb. guy
  20. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Matt6969 View Post

flat bench- 250

preacher curl- 115

tricep pulldown- 205

for my weight i am outlifting most of the people i lift with but i still dont really know if that is good for a 155 lb. guy

for 155 that is very good. How tall are you?
  21. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt6969 View Post

flat bench- 250

preacher curl- 115

tricep pulldown- 205

for a manlet that is solid, no doubt.
  22. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelEntity View Post
    Milos' routine, the one where you take no breaks in between. I don't see how that is beneficial at all, except for stamina conditioning.

I think the one posted in here must be different then. I didn't hear him mention anything about no breaks...he's focusing mostly on chest development in this vid.

btw, high rep close-grip squeeze press (slight incline) and seated incline cable flies (holding contraction at end, crossing arms) are working wonders for me right now after including them in the routine. Decline flies as well as squeezing the shoulder blades as far back / close together as I can on bb press. I don't even care about how much I'm lifting anymore, it's all about the contraction/form.
  23. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Gutterpump View Post
    I think the one posted in here must be different then. I didn't hear him mention anything about no breaks...he's focusing mostly on chest development in this vid.

btw, high rep close-grip squeeze press (slight incline) and seated incline cable flies (holding contraction at end, crossing arms) are working wonders for me right now after including them in the routine. Decline flies as well as squeezing the shoulder blades as far back / close together as I can on bb press. I don't even care about how much I'm lifting anymore, it's all about the contraction/form.
    Yeah I am starting to use machines more for chest because I can really isolate the muscle more. Peck deck is my best exercise for chest development believe it or not.
  24. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelEntity View Post
    Yeah I am starting to use machines more for chest because I can really isolate the muscle more. Peck deck is my best exercise for chest development believe it or not.
    ive been doing Gironda dips for the last week or so.
  25. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.

Flys always made my chest nice. Both, cable and bb. i would bring the cable past zero to hit the inner part real well, and do the dumbells like arnie, where you only do half reps where the muscle is streched the most.
  26. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  255 lbs.

I think for someone that is looking to get started lifting the Incline Barbell would be the best exercise. I am 6'3 and the one thing i have noticed is that the incline keeps my chest working through out the movement for a longer period of time than a flat barbell press. I don't think dumbells are great for beginners as they don't develop strength as well imo and strength and size correlate pretty well until you get pretty advanced. This is just my opinion.
  27. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  182 lbs.

no sh*t... push-ups!!! lots of them!
    Formutech Nutrition | Online/Social Media Rep
    Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, & Instagram for more promos!
    www.formutechnutrition.com |www.facebook.com/fnutrition
  28. Banned

dips for sure
  29. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  171 lbs.

i dont do much dips but when i do them i like them to be weighted.
  30. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  178 lbs.

Whats a exercise for your chest that hits the outside lower part of your pec (if your standing and not moving with your arms resting not moving right where your bis hit your chest area, i think its Decling DBs and flies if theres anything else please let me know! thanks
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Which is best for shoulder development?
    By WILL DA BEAST in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-10-2008, 02:57 PM
  2. Weird chest development
    By Distilled Water in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-29-2008, 04:16 PM
  3. Best Books for developing training programs?
    By Mr.50 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-28-2006, 05:23 PM
  4. Replies: 52
    Last Post: 08-31-2006, 09:25 AM
  5. What is the best, overall back exercise.
    By stuart harlin in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 10-22-2004, 08:09 PM