HST Training

Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last

1. imo, wimpy, that is a big problem with trainees in general. the idea that you have to lift heavy every workout, lift to failure, etc.

and that if one is lifting submaximally, one is wimping out. the purpose of training, for most people, is to improve results. submaximal lifting is an important part of ANY exercise program (uness one is a hit weenie).

people who think they need to go in every workout and improve on their last workout each successive time, don't understand how training works, how the body adapts, etc.

HST works, and is based on valid science. how a workout 'feels' is a poor proxy for the efficacy of a program

stick with it, and swallow your pride. if you are a bber, it doesn't matter how much you are lifting in the gym on a given day. it matters how well your development goes. if you are a strength athlete, it doesn't matter what you are lifting on a given day, it matter what you do on the platform.

either way, the purpose of training is to cause improvements, not to impress your fellow gymgoers (unless that IS your goal).

if the latter IS your goal, that's well and good, just understand that training to impress others in the gym is suboptimal training, if you want to improve physique, or platform results

2. Quote Originally Posted by wimpy
    i just started using HST. did my first of the 15s yesterday. felt like i was accomplishing nothing and i looked like an even bigger ***** than i really am. this is normal, right? i am going to have to start going at lunch when nobody is there till the wieght gets heavier. nothing like having the highschool girl next to you curling more weight than you :P
    The program works, that's really all that should matter. Plus, once you get into it the fifteens aren't really necessary. They're purpose is to get your connective tissues ready for the heavy lifting that comes later in the cycle. You can technically skip them and start with the tens if you're used to lifting heavy. I usually only do a week of fifteens when I use HST.

Don't get caught up on the basic workout of 15s, 10s, 5s and negatives. Go through it once and modify it as you see fit. As long as the weight gets progressively heavier almost every workout, you workout every 48 hours and you take 9-14 days off at the end of each cycle, and as long as you eat to gain, you'll gain muscle.
    •   

3. I have a feeling I am going to feel like a big ***** during the 15's but it doesn't really matter to me, seeing the results is all that matters to me.

4. what about warm up sets? most of u guys are saying u do 1 to 2 sets per body part. don't u run the risk of hurting urself without a warm up set? even more so once u start getting to heavier weight. also for me cold muscles are never as strong as warm ones. just woundering because im thinking about doing HST too

5. I have questions about using PHs with HST. If I decide to do use PH for 5 weeks, would I do best to follow the following schedule: 2 weeks of 15s, 2 weeks of 10s, and week of 8s followed by 4 weeks of 5s? Once I am on PCT, would I be able to decrease frequency to 2.5 per week [IE lift, 2 days off, lift, 2 days off, lift, 1 day off, repeat]? I ask because after training that long on a non-PH HST cycle, overtraining tends to rear its ugly head, and my lifts do not increase. When I do take an extra day off, I am able to progress to higher poundages. Thanks for your help.
    •   

6. One of the key points in HST (and other weight training schemes) with anabolics is to NOT let the weight go down post cycle, so if you are doing a 9 week cycle (5 weeks ON, 4 weeks PCT) than that week of 8's is fine also. You can do it many ways really, like 12/12/10/10/8/8/5/5/5 or whatever suits you. As for frequency, just aim for training every 48 hrs or so and you'll be fine

7. Cool, thanks for reply. Now I just gotta finish this cycle and head into SD.

8. I'm gonna go ahead and take this week off...making that two weeks off...and start a week from Monday. I am looking forward to it and hopefully with the off time I will kick ass in the gym.

9. Starting my first week of 15's on monday...looking forward to it!!

10. Today was my first HST workout...it was the first day of 15's and OMG I didn't even fee like I worked out. But, after reading others experience with this program I know that this is normal and all part of the program. I enjoyed the workout and like the set up of it and am hoping for good results on this HST cycle.

11. Quote Originally Posted by Manu20
    Today was my first HST workout...it was the first day of 15's and OMG I didn't even fee like I worked out. But, after reading others experience with this program I know that this is normal and all part of the program. I enjoyed the workout and like the set up of it and am hoping for good results on this HST cycle.
    Remember that the main purpose of the 15s is to prep your connective tissues for the heavier loads that come later in the cycle. Once you get into it and you're used to the heavy lifting you can ditch the 15s if you like.

12. Quote Originally Posted by CDB
    Remember that the main purpose of the 15s is to prep your connective tissues for the heavier loads that come later in the cycle. Once you get into it and you're used to the heavy lifting you can ditch the 15s if you like.
    Ya I know there is a reason why the 15's are there thats why I am going to stick with the program exactly as outlined. But, I might considering dropping hte 15's or maybe just doin one week of them for my second HST cycle.

13. I started at 12's for this cycle. 15's almost feel like cardio at first. After your first cycle you can customize it anyway you want ( only 1 week of 15's, maybe only 12's, whatever. Just wait until the 5's

14. Quote Originally Posted by jweave23
    I started at 12's for this cycle. 15's almost feel like cardio at first. After your first cycle you can customize it anyway you want ( only 1 week of 15's, maybe only 12's, whatever. Just wait until the 5's
    I wrote out all my workouts and weights for the 6 weeks and those 5's look brutal.

15. Well I finished my first week of HST and so far I like the program set up and the workouts. These first ones weren't too challenging but I know they will get harder and I'm looking forward to it.

16. Quote Originally Posted by Manu20
    I wrote out all my workouts and weights for the 6 weeks and those 5's look brutal.
    They are. That's where I usually end up overtraining. Advice: Allow yourself to rest between sets, don't plow through like a maniac.

17. I will definitely be allowing my self some extra rest during the 5's week. I myself prefer lower reps and higher weight workouts so hopefully the workouts will be somewhat enjoyable.

18. Well today was my last day of the 15's and it was pretty tough, but not too bad. And for a lot of my exercises my 15 rep max felt easier than when I did them a few weeks ago...so hopefully thats a sign that its working and things are going good. Start with the 10's on monday so I think things will be getting tougher. So far I am liking the HST workout.

19. I plan on doing this during my PCT which starts Monday.

20. Quote Originally Posted by Nullifidian
    I plan on doing this during my PCT which starts Monday.
    Good luck bro...hope you like it as much as I have so far. Starting 10's on Monday so I may be thinking otherwise.

21. Well, I've established my 15 rep maxes and 10 rep maxes. On Friday I'll establish my 5 rep maxes.

22. It's a great program, especially if you're not use to this type of training, and you're coming from a more standard BB routine.

23. Quote Originally Posted by Nullifidian
    Well, I've established my 15 rep maxes and 10 rep maxes. On Friday I'll establish my 5 rep maxes.

I've done this program twice and had great results both times. It's not the most interesting program to stick to over the long term so I tend to gravitate back to my normal training programs.....anywaysss.....

Having done the programs I can't say that I ever checked for my max poundages in EACH rep range. I picked a weight and repped till failure on each lift before the program was started. Then I used a convertion chart to determine my approximate maxes for each rep range. It isn't really that important. The important points are noted above several times. The weight must increase at each session and on the final session for a specific rep range I always pulled out all the stops and went to total failure. That's it.....KISS principle!

24. Quote Originally Posted by Gethuge
    I've done this program twice and had great results both times. It's not the most interesting program to stick to over the long term so I tend to gravitate back to my normal training programs.....anywaysss.....

Having done the programs I can't say that I ever checked for my max poundages in EACH rep range. I picked a weight and repped till failure on each lift before the program was started. Then I used a convertion chart to determine my approximate maxes for each rep range. It isn't really that important. The important points are noted above several times. The weight must increase at each session and on the final session for a specific rep range I always pulled out all the stops and went to total failure. That's it.....KISS principle!
    Same here. When I do it I just figure out my five rep max and calculate the weight down from that for workouts earlier in the cycle. Figure out your five rep max, put that as the last workout on your schedule, get 95% and round off, then 95% of that number and round off,

25. Hey CDB that's an interesting way of doing it. And a simple way to get a cycle of HST set up. I think too many skip over the actual science behind HST and just follow the program without giving it some thought as to why the program is set up the way it is.

26. Quote Originally Posted by Gethuge
    Hey CDB that's an interesting way of doing it. And a simple way to get a cycle of HST set up. I think too many skip over the actual science behind HST and just follow the program without giving it some thought as to why the program is set up the way it is.
    Yeah, that's exactly what they do. They take the 15/10/5/neg or 5 scheme and apply it like it's supposed to be magic. It's the one size fits all version, so it isn't optimal for every individual by any means. That's why the HST forums are so important if you want to do this routine. They're full of people who have don tons of HST cycles and have ideas to change and tweak it within the principles. There's one guy there that's doing a very basic, simple four exercise routine, but doing it every day (I think he rests on weekends) with low volume per day and progressive loading to see how it works. Wacky, but who knows what'll come of it. Apparently Haycock and a couple others have seen evidence that indicates very frequent loading of the muscles is good for hypertrophy.

27. Actually that's really interesting because I was thinking about dividing the routine given on the web site and doing part of it every day 6 days a week. Do you have a link to this guys routine and results? I"m interested in following along.

28. Quote Originally Posted by Gethuge
    Actually that's really interesting because I was thinking about dividing the routine given on the web site and doing part of it every day 6 days a week. Do you have a link to this guys routine and results? I"m interested in following along.
    Sorry, no link, but search the string "frequency loading" at the forum website and you should be able to find the log. EctoSquat is the name of the guy who is doing it.

29. thanks CDB.

30. The reason I found my maxes for each range was because I was doing different exercises for each range.

15s:

Leg press sled
    Leg Extension
    Hammer Strength Iso Flat Bench
    Cable Crossover
    Tricep Rope Pulldown
    Dumbell Lateral Raises
    Wide Grip Lat Pulldown
    Double D grip chindown
    Bicep Curl Machine
    Sled Calf Presses

10s:
    Barbell Squat
    Leg Curl
    Smith Bench
    Cable Crossover (I love these so its a repeat)
    Skull Crushers
    Arnold Press
    Barbell Row
    Low Cable Row
    EZbar curl
    Sled Calf Raises

5s:
    Deadlift
    Leg Extension
    Leg Curl
    Barbell Flat Bench
    Cable Crossover (like I said, I love it)
    Hammer Strength Iso Military Press
    Tricep Straightbar pressdown
    Dumbell Lateral Raise
    Hammer Strength Iso Low Row
    Lat Pulldown
    Dumbell Preacher Curl

So with a few exceptions, each rep range has a different set of exercises.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Your opinion on HST training?
    By darius in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 237
    Last Post: 05-19-2011, 12:26 PM
  2. HST training with superdrol?
    By Got2bbig in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-20-2005, 12:14 PM
  3. I have a question on HST training
    By bigmark1972 in forum Training Forum