HST Training - AnabolicMinds.com - Page 3

HST Training

Page 3 of 3 First 123
  1. Banned

Well, I've established my 15 rep maxes and 10 rep maxes. On Friday I'll establish my 5 rep maxes.

It's a great program, especially if you're not use to this type of training, and you're coming from a more standard BB routine.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  194 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Nullifidian
    Well, I've established my 15 rep maxes and 10 rep maxes. On Friday I'll establish my 5 rep maxes.

I've done this program twice and had great results both times. It's not the most interesting program to stick to over the long term so I tend to gravitate back to my normal training programs.....anywaysss.....

Having done the programs I can't say that I ever checked for my max poundages in EACH rep range. I picked a weight and repped till failure on each lift before the program was started. Then I used a convertion chart to determine my approximate maxes for each rep range. It isn't really that important. The important points are noted above several times. The weight must increase at each session and on the final session for a specific rep range I always pulled out all the stops and went to total failure. That's it.....KISS principle!
    •   

4. CDB

Quote Originally Posted by Gethuge
    I've done this program twice and had great results both times. It's not the most interesting program to stick to over the long term so I tend to gravitate back to my normal training programs.....anywaysss.....

Having done the programs I can't say that I ever checked for my max poundages in EACH rep range. I picked a weight and repped till failure on each lift before the program was started. Then I used a convertion chart to determine my approximate maxes for each rep range. It isn't really that important. The important points are noted above several times. The weight must increase at each session and on the final session for a specific rep range I always pulled out all the stops and went to total failure. That's it.....KISS principle!
    Same here. When I do it I just figure out my five rep max and calculate the weight down from that for workouts earlier in the cycle. Figure out your five rep max, put that as the last workout on your schedule, get 95% and round off, then 95% of that number and round off,
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  194 lbs.

Hey CDB that's an interesting way of doing it. And a simple way to get a cycle of HST set up. I think too many skip over the actual science behind HST and just follow the program without giving it some thought as to why the program is set up the way it is.
  6. CDB

Hey CDB that's an interesting way of doing it. And a simple way to get a cycle of HST set up. I think too many skip over the actual science behind HST and just follow the program without giving it some thought as to why the program is set up the way it is.
    Yeah, that's exactly what they do. They take the 15/10/5/neg or 5 scheme and apply it like it's supposed to be magic. It's the one size fits all version, so it isn't optimal for every individual by any means. That's why the HST forums are so important if you want to do this routine. They're full of people who have don tons of HST cycles and have ideas to change and tweak it within the principles. There's one guy there that's doing a very basic, simple four exercise routine, but doing it every day (I think he rests on weekends) with low volume per day and progressive loading to see how it works. Wacky, but who knows what'll come of it. Apparently Haycock and a couple others have seen evidence that indicates very frequent loading of the muscles is good for hypertrophy.
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  194 lbs.

Actually that's really interesting because I was thinking about dividing the routine given on the web site and doing part of it every day 6 days a week. Do you have a link to this guys routine and results? I"m interested in following along.
  8. CDB

Actually that's really interesting because I was thinking about dividing the routine given on the web site and doing part of it every day 6 days a week. Do you have a link to this guys routine and results? I"m interested in following along.
    Sorry, no link, but search the string "frequency loading" at the forum website and you should be able to find the log. EctoSquat is the name of the guy who is doing it.
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  194 lbs.

thanks CDB.
  10. Banned

The reason I found my maxes for each range was because I was doing different exercises for each range.

15s:

Leg press sled
    Leg Extension
    Hammer Strength Iso Flat Bench
    Cable Crossover
    Tricep Rope Pulldown
    Dumbell Lateral Raises
    Wide Grip Lat Pulldown
    Double D grip chindown
    Bicep Curl Machine
    Sled Calf Presses

10s:
    Barbell Squat
    Leg Curl
    Smith Bench
    Cable Crossover (I love these so its a repeat)
    Skull Crushers
    Arnold Press
    Barbell Row
    Low Cable Row
    EZbar curl
    Sled Calf Raises

5s:
    Deadlift
    Leg Extension
    Leg Curl
    Barbell Flat Bench
    Cable Crossover (like I said, I love it)
    Hammer Strength Iso Military Press
    Tricep Straightbar pressdown
    Dumbell Lateral Raise
    Hammer Strength Iso Low Row
    Lat Pulldown
    Dumbell Preacher Curl

So with a few exceptions, each rep range has a different set of exercises.
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  237 lbs.

yeah I have found that HST is all about sticking to a few core principles and then making your own routine, otherwise you may not be getting the most out of it. Currently I am doing a 16 weeks cycle which coincides with 12 weeks of AS use and 4 weeks PCT. It looks like this:

12/12/10/10/10/10/8/8/8/8/8/8/8/5/5/5/5

I have been repeating weights for about 4 - 6 workouts so far then increasing, but I figure it's most important to ensure progressive load throughout the entire cycle.

And like CDB said, I have read many reports of guys doing the 6 days/week cycle and really liking it. 3 days/week is perfect for me now, however.
  12. Superman

Jweave I was wondering, since you do so many 10's and 8's can you give an example of how you set up the weights and when you increase them....thank you.
  13. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

my friend did HST but said it was way too much to do for one workout, he got some strength gains and lost some BF but in the end it was just too tiring so he switched back to a 5day split.
  14. CDB

Quote Originally Posted by SwoleT
    my friend did HST but said it was way too much to do for one workout, he got some strength gains and lost some BF but in the end it was just too tiring so he switched back to a 5day split.
    A common mistake is to keep the same number of exercises as when doing a split. When you go with a full body routine it's best to concentrate almost exclusively on core lifts. Bench Press, Squats, Dead Lifts, Bent Over Rows. Big compound movements mobilize the most muscle mass and are the most efficient for a full body routine. For instance my last HST workout went as such:

Bench Press
    Bent Over Row
    Clean and Press
    Barbell Curl
    Triceps Extention
    Dead Lifts
    Calf Raise
    Swiss Ball Crunches

Simple and effective. Unfortunately I can't do squats regularly because of a knee problem. I workout at home and my rack doesn't have adequate safeties should me knee give out.
  15. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  194 lbs.

That's a great point. I found following the routine on the web site to be too long and I got bored of it very quickly. Quite frankly it was just too much for me. So after a couple of weeks I cut it down to just "core" lifts and my progress went very well after that.
  16. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  194 lbs.

Here's a suggestion someone might want to try as well. Instead of having each bodypart following the same rep and volume cycles why not have them each start at a different point in the total cycle. Such that you may be doing 15s for your quads but 5s for your hamstrings, just as an example. This would likely make each workout a little shorter (only marginally) and help keep things from getting too monotonous. Just a thought.
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  237 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Manu20
    Jweave I was wondering, since you do so many 10's and 8's can you give an example of how you set up the weights and when you increase them....thank you.
    I'm doing a lot of repeating this cycle from one workout to the next, so an example may be:

for the 12's, if my 12RM on DB curls is 50lbs, I'll work up to 50lbs for two weeks, starting around 25lbs. then once I hit 50, I'll stick with that for about 6 workouts of the 10's, then move it up to 55, etc. I'm not doing any zigzagging of weights, just repeating until I can increase. I can already tell that HST while on cycle is going to amount to some hella 8's and 5's, as Haycock has said happens with the German guy and other cyclists
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  237 lbs.

Here's a suggestion someone might want to try as well. Instead of having each bodypart following the same rep and volume cycles why not have them each start at a different point in the total cycle. Such that you may be doing 15s for your quads but 5s for your hamstrings, just as an example. This would likely make each workout a little shorter (only marginally) and help keep things from getting too monotonous. Just a thought.
    I suppose you could do that. If somone starts a cycle fresh after SD, they could start certain parts at 10's and others at 15's (or 12's, or whatever) as long as they follow the general principles like progressive resistance and so forth. Definitely sounds like something to try after you have numerous HST cycles under your belt.
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  237 lbs.

I suppose you could do that. If somone starts a cycle fresh after SD, they could start certain parts at 10's and others at 15's (or 12's, or whatever) as long as they follow the general principles like progressive resistance and so forth. Definitely sounds like something to try after you have numerous HST cycles under your belt.
  20. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  237 lbs.

21. CDB

Probably not a good idea. You still need to progress the weight and doing a workout with a weight calculated to fit in the fifteen or ten range with only five reps might not give enough time under tension. The rep scheme is artificial, it's just a construction to allow for the increasing weight which at some point will cause a drop in reps anyway. It's also a convenient way to look at the workout sometimes be breaking it into those smaller microcycles, but overall the rep range is irrelevant.
  22. Superman

Quote Originally Posted by jweave23
    I'm doing a lot of repeating this cycle from one workout to the next, so an example may be:

for the 12's, if my 12RM on DB curls is 50lbs, I'll work up to 50lbs for two weeks, starting around 25lbs. then once I hit 50, I'll stick with that for about 6 workouts of the 10's, then move it up to 55, etc. I'm not doing any zigzagging of weights, just repeating until I can increase. I can already tell that HST while on cycle is going to amount to some hella 8's and 5's, as Haycock has said happens with the German guy and other cyclists
    Thanks for the reply Jweave.
  23. Superman

Quote Originally Posted by CDB
    A common mistake is to keep the same number of exercises as when doing a split. When you go with a full body routine it's best to concentrate almost exclusively on core lifts. Bench Press, Squats, Dead Lifts, Bent Over Rows. Big compound movements mobilize the most muscle mass and are the most efficient for a full body routine. For instance my last HST workout went as such:

Bench Press
    Bent Over Row
    Clean and Press
    Barbell Curl
    Triceps Extention
    Dead Lifts
    Calf Raise
    Swiss Ball Crunches

Simple and effective. Unfortunately I can't do squats regularly because of a knee problem. I workout at home and my rack doesn't have adequate safeties should me knee give out.
    Good choice of exercises there....after a few more week and my knee is fully recovered I can incorporate squats into my next HST cycle.
  24. CDB

Good choice of exercises there....after a few more week and my knee is fully recovered I can incorporate squats into my next HST cycle.
    Lucky bastard. My knee is as fully recovered as it's ever going to be, and I still can't do them without a spotter/safeties. I do some light weight squats every now and then by myself, and it seems my range of motion through the exercise sufferred a lot. Lost a lot of flexibility in my calves and glutes. I think someone here once wrote about doing dead lifts on a platform with the weight actually on the floor so you have to go down further to grab it. I'm thinking of doing that to get a fuller ROM.

As for the workout, I love it. Right now I split it into Push/Pull and added an exercise per body part, I do a Push-Pull-Rest split now, and it's working rather nicely.
  25. Superman

Just started my first week of 5's...I can already tell this is going to be tough...the 10's were pretty tough.
  26. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  194 lbs.

Just started my first week of 5's...I can already tell this is going to be tough...the 10's were pretty tough.
    Just you wait and see!! The 5's are brutal....i'll be honest with ya bro. The final few weeks of a hst cycle are tough but you know what? That's also the time when you'll begin to actually SEE some results. Keep it up!
  27. New Member

Does anyone recommend this for cutting phase ? I need to lose around 5kg in 5 weeks, and maintain current muscles... I was thinking to do this workout every 48h, and between 1 hour of cardio workout... So, day 1 : HST , day 2 : cardio, day 3 : HST etc.
    Also, I plan to change number of reps every workout to maintain the strength and intensity... So on day 1 I will be doing 10 reps, day 2 5 reps, day 8 reps, day 4 12 reps etc. Any idea is this any good ?

Similar Forum Threads

1. Your opinion on HST training?
    By darius in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 237
    Last Post: 05-19-2011, 11:26 AM
  2. HST training with superdrol?
    By Got2bbig in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-20-2005, 11:14 AM
  3. I have a question on HST training
    By bigmark1972 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 5