HST Training

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
  1. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.38%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Manu20
    Thanks Jweave and CDB. CDB I know Jweave said he only does one set of each, how many do you do?
    Depends on the exercise. No less than two of any. When I do HST I progress the sets as such: one of each for the 15s, two for the tens, three to four for the 5s. Right now I'm basically just doing standard strength training, I average 3 sets per exercise.

2. Superman
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.44%

Thanks bro.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  237 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.63%

I do one set for the 15's and 10's, 2 sets for the 5's
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  237 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.63%

BTW I should add I'm in the 3rd week of 5's now (not doing neg's) and I am lifting as much or more than I did at peak on my last cycle...but I'm clean right now
  5. Superman
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.44%

Quote Originally Posted by jweave23
    BTW I should add I'm in the 3rd week of 5's now (not doing neg's) and I am lifting as much or more than I did at peak on my last cycle...but I'm clean right now
    After the 3 week of 5's what are you going to do...another week or go back to 15's?
  6. Superman
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.44%

I do one set for the 15's and 10's, 2 sets for the 5's
    I think I am going to structure mine similar to this for my first cycle of HST and see how it goes or if I should add another set to the 15's and 10's.
  7. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.38%

Thanks bro.
    No problem. Always glad to help. Ever since I found out about HST I've been telling people about it. It's a nice method.
  8. Superman
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.44%

Quote Originally Posted by CDB
    No problem. Always glad to help. Ever since I found out about HST I've been telling people about it. It's a nice method.
    It looks like a solid method and I'm getting pumped about trying it out. I need a change and routine and this looks like its what I'm looking for.
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  237 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.63%

After the 3 week of 5's what are you going to do...another week or go back to 15's?
    one least week of 5's (4 weeks total of 5's), then SD for 9 days. After that it's time for my next cycle, so I'll be doing a lengthened version, something like 15,12,10,10,10,10,8,8,5,5,5,5. That will get me through an 8 week cycle + post cycle without letting the weight go down, just the volume Then SD again.
  10. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.38%

one least week of 5's (4 weeks total of 5's), then SD for 9 days. After that it's time for my next cycle, so I'll be doing a lengthened version, something like 15,12,10,10,10,10,8,8,5,5,5,5. That will get me through an 8 week cycle + post cycle without letting the weight go down, just the volume Then SD again.
    I'd recommend a longer SD. Just from personal experience. An injury forced me to quit for three weeks, Now I'm lifting again and my EZ bar curl has gone up ten pounds already and I've seen a noticable increase in hardness and size in the muscle. I've only been lifting for two weeks and I'm not even doing an HST cycle this time, just SST.
  11. Superman
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.44%

I spent this week finding my 15,10, and 5 rep maxes for the exercises I will be doing during HST. I am going to take this week off to give my body some rest and then the following monday will be starting my first HST cycle. I am definitely looking forward to it.
  12. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.38%

I spent this week finding my 15,10, and 5 rep maxes for the exercises I will be doing during HST. I am going to take this week off to give my body some rest and then the following monday will be starting my first HST cycle. I am definitely looking forward to it.
    Take more than a week off. Repeat, because this is massively important: take more than a week off. 9 days minimum, 14 preferably. Strategic Deconditioning is no joke, it's a very necessary part of the training. Down play it or don't do it properly, you don't see the results you otherwise would. Take two weeks off to be safe. Play some sports, do some running, don't lift anything weightswise.
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  237 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.63%

I'd recommend a longer SD. Just from personal experience. An injury forced me to quit for three weeks, Now I'm lifting again and my EZ bar curl has gone up ten pounds already and I've seen a noticable increase in hardness and size in the muscle. I've only been lifting for two weeks and I'm not even doing an HST cycle this time, just SST.
    Yeah I'm taking 14 days off. My left trap/shoulder has been a little sore since my last set of 5's, so I can see why this makes sense, among other reasons
  14. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.38%

Yeah I'm taking 14 days off. My left trap/shoulder has been a little sore since my last set of 5's, so I can see why this makes sense, among other reasons
    Yeah, the 9-14 day SD that Haycock reccomends seems to be optimal for allowing your muscles to rest and get primed but also ensuring you don't lose too much muscle. I also find myself on the verge of overtraining at the end of the fives, so the break ends up being necessary in more ways than one.
  15. Superman
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.44%

Take more than a week off. Repeat, because this is massively important: take more than a week off. 9 days minimum, 14 preferably. Strategic Deconditioning is no joke, it's a very necessary part of the training. Down play it or don't do it properly, you don't see the results you otherwise would. Take two weeks off to be safe. Play some sports, do some running, don't lift anything weightswise.
    So even though I'm not coming off an HST cycle you still recommend I take two weeks off. I want to get the max out of this so if thats the case I will consider doing so.
  16. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'4"  208 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.52%

seems like everybody is having to really modify the hst.
  17. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.38%

So even though I'm not coming off an HST cycle you still recommend I take two weeks off. I want to get the max out of this so if thats the case I will consider doing so.
    Yes. Whether it's an HST cycle or not really doesn't matter. Without AAS or some other supplementation your muscles aren't as receptive to gaining after weeks of intense training. So essentially if you've been training at all, take the time off. You'll see the results.

Quote Originally Posted by julius kelp
    seems like everybody is having to really modify the hst.
    Not really. Most people just don't get it. It's just a series of principles to apply to training. There's a lot of wiggle room within those principles of Mechanical Load, Progressive Load, Frequency and Strategic Deconditioning. The base workout Haycock gives of 15s, 10s, 5s, negatives and then SD, is just the ideal one size fits all template. As long as you're abiding by those four principles, work it however you want and it's an HST workout. I'd say that's one of the beauties of the program, that it's so flexible, and no guy wearing spandex is screaming on the TV on a Sunday morning and demanding you pay for it and buy overpriced equipment to do it with.
  18. Superman
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.44%

Yes. Whether it's an HST cycle or not really doesn't matter. Without AAS or some other supplementation your muscles aren't as receptive to gaining after weeks of intense training. So essentially if you've been training at all, take the time off. You'll see the results.
    Thank you for the help!!
  19. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.81%

i just started using HST. did my first of the 15s yesterday. felt like i was accomplishing nothing and i looked like an even bigger ***** than i really am. this is normal, right? i am going to have to start going at lunch when nobody is there till the wieght gets heavier. nothing like having the highschool girl next to you curling more weight than you :P
  20. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  237 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.63%

Quote Originally Posted by wimpy
    i just started using HST. did my first of the 15s yesterday. felt like i was accomplishing nothing and i looked like an even bigger ***** than i really am. this is normal, right? i am going to have to start going at lunch when nobody is there till the wieght gets heavier. nothing like having the highschool girl next to you curling more weight than you :P
    LOL, yes it is OK. Everyone does this at first with the 15's. Have some patience and check your ego at the door and you'll be fine by the end of the 10's or start of the 5's
  21. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.59%

imo, wimpy, that is a big problem with trainees in general. the idea that you have to lift heavy every workout, lift to failure, etc.

and that if one is lifting submaximally, one is wimping out. the purpose of training, for most people, is to improve results. submaximal lifting is an important part of ANY exercise program (uness one is a hit weenie).

people who think they need to go in every workout and improve on their last workout each successive time, don't understand how training works, how the body adapts, etc.

HST works, and is based on valid science. how a workout 'feels' is a poor proxy for the efficacy of a program

stick with it, and swallow your pride. if you are a bber, it doesn't matter how much you are lifting in the gym on a given day. it matters how well your development goes. if you are a strength athlete, it doesn't matter what you are lifting on a given day, it matter what you do on the platform.

either way, the purpose of training is to cause improvements, not to impress your fellow gymgoers (unless that IS your goal).

if the latter IS your goal, that's well and good, just understand that training to impress others in the gym is suboptimal training, if you want to improve physique, or platform results
  22. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.38%

Quote Originally Posted by wimpy
    The program works, that's really all that should matter. Plus, once you get into it the fifteens aren't really necessary. They're purpose is to get your connective tissues ready for the heavy lifting that comes later in the cycle. You can technically skip them and start with the tens if you're used to lifting heavy. I usually only do a week of fifteens when I use HST.

Don't get caught up on the basic workout of 15s, 10s, 5s and negatives. Go through it once and modify it as you see fit. As long as the weight gets progressively heavier almost every workout, you workout every 48 hours and you take 9-14 days off at the end of each cycle, and as long as you eat to gain, you'll gain muscle.
  23. Superman
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.44%

I have a feeling I am going to feel like a big ***** during the 15's but it doesn't really matter to me, seeing the results is all that matters to me.
  24. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    3.83%

what about warm up sets? most of u guys are saying u do 1 to 2 sets per body part. don't u run the risk of hurting urself without a warm up set? even more so once u start getting to heavier weight. also for me cold muscles are never as strong as warm ones. just woundering because im thinking about doing HST too
  25. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    40.93%

I have questions about using PHs with HST. If I decide to do use PH for 5 weeks, would I do best to follow the following schedule: 2 weeks of 15s, 2 weeks of 10s, and week of 8s followed by 4 weeks of 5s? Once I am on PCT, would I be able to decrease frequency to 2.5 per week [IE lift, 2 days off, lift, 2 days off, lift, 1 day off, repeat]? I ask because after training that long on a non-PH HST cycle, overtraining tends to rear its ugly head, and my lifts do not increase. When I do take an extra day off, I am able to progress to higher poundages. Thanks for your help.
  26. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  237 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.63%

One of the key points in HST (and other weight training schemes) with anabolics is to NOT let the weight go down post cycle, so if you are doing a 9 week cycle (5 weeks ON, 4 weeks PCT) than that week of 8's is fine also. You can do it many ways really, like 12/12/10/10/8/8/5/5/5 or whatever suits you. As for frequency, just aim for training every 48 hrs or so and you'll be fine
  27. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    40.93%

Cool, thanks for reply. Now I just gotta finish this cycle and head into SD.
  28. Superman
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.44%

I'm gonna go ahead and take this week off...making that two weeks off...and start a week from Monday. I am looking forward to it and hopefully with the off time I will kick ass in the gym.
  29. Superman
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.44%

Starting my first week of 15's on monday...looking forward to it!!
  30. Superman
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.44%

Today was my first HST workout...it was the first day of 15's and OMG I didn't even fee like I worked out. But, after reading others experience with this program I know that this is normal and all part of the program. I enjoyed the workout and like the set up of it and am hoping for good results on this HST cycle.
  31. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.38%

Today was my first HST workout...it was the first day of 15's and OMG I didn't even fee like I worked out. But, after reading others experience with this program I know that this is normal and all part of the program. I enjoyed the workout and like the set up of it and am hoping for good results on this HST cycle.
    Remember that the main purpose of the 15s is to prep your connective tissues for the heavier loads that come later in the cycle. Once you get into it and you're used to the heavy lifting you can ditch the 15s if you like.
  32. Superman
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.44%

Remember that the main purpose of the 15s is to prep your connective tissues for the heavier loads that come later in the cycle. Once you get into it and you're used to the heavy lifting you can ditch the 15s if you like.
    Ya I know there is a reason why the 15's are there thats why I am going to stick with the program exactly as outlined. But, I might considering dropping hte 15's or maybe just doin one week of them for my second HST cycle.
  33. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  237 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.63%

I started at 12's for this cycle. 15's almost feel like cardio at first. After your first cycle you can customize it anyway you want ( only 1 week of 15's, maybe only 12's, whatever. Just wait until the 5's
  34. Superman
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.44%

I started at 12's for this cycle. 15's almost feel like cardio at first. After your first cycle you can customize it anyway you want ( only 1 week of 15's, maybe only 12's, whatever. Just wait until the 5's
    I wrote out all my workouts and weights for the 6 weeks and those 5's look brutal.
  35. Superman
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.44%

Well I finished my first week of HST and so far I like the program set up and the workouts. These first ones weren't too challenging but I know they will get harder and I'm looking forward to it.
  36. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.38%

I wrote out all my workouts and weights for the 6 weeks and those 5's look brutal.
    They are. That's where I usually end up overtraining. Advice: Allow yourself to rest between sets, don't plow through like a maniac.
  37. Superman
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.44%

I will definitely be allowing my self some extra rest during the 5's week. I myself prefer lower reps and higher weight workouts so hopefully the workouts will be somewhat enjoyable.
  38. Superman
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.44%

Well today was my last day of the 15's and it was pretty tough, but not too bad. And for a lot of my exercises my 15 rep max felt easier than when I did them a few weeks ago...so hopefully thats a sign that its working and things are going good. Start with the 10's on monday so I think things will be getting tougher. So far I am liking the HST workout.
  39. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.57%

I plan on doing this during my PCT which starts Monday.
  40. Superman
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.44%

Quote Originally Posted by Nullifidian
    I plan on doing this during my PCT which starts Monday.
    Good luck bro...hope you like it as much as I have so far. Starting 10's on Monday so I may be thinking otherwise.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Your opinion on HST training?
    By darius in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 237
    Last Post: 05-19-2011, 01:26 PM
  2. HST training with superdrol?
    By Got2bbig in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-20-2005, 01:14 PM
  3. I have a question on HST training
    By bigmark1972 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 5