HST Training

Wider is better

Awards
I've been hearing alot on HST training. Is anyone currently training like this? If so, how is it and is suited for experienced trainers?

Thanks

VanillaGorilla

Awards
  • Established
I tried it and it didn't do too much for me. I think it works well for cutting if you do high reps.

fiddler

Awards
I'm curious VG, how is 5 reps high reps?!?

Do you normally do just 1 rep?

fiddler

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
I just started it, but I'll let you know. It seems if you follow the program as designed (general principles) it should work quite well, advanced or not. :)

fiddler

Awards
I'm on SD right now before i start. i figured that since i've been lifting none stop exvept for a week or 2 here and there that i should start with a SD to kick things off.

jweave, i want to know if i got the general gist of the program right.

1st 2 weeks: 15 rep max, max - 10% = 2 workouts, max - 5% = 2 workouts then 15 rep max = 2 workouts.

so on and so forth for 10 rep max and 5 rep max then 2 weeks of negatives or more 5 rep max, correct?

fiddler

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
you could do it that way, sure :)

Basically as long as you stick to the principle of progressive load you'll be ok (i.e a mandatory increase in weights over your cycle). The most common way to do it is:

1. Figure out your 15 rep max

2. Use the calculator on the site to get a starting point and increases. If your 15RM on squats is 225, then you have 6 total workouts to build up to 225 for 15 reps (which will be workout #6). So you could do increments of 10lbs up the whole way (175,185,195,205,etc) until your 6th workout, which will be 225 for 15 reps. You do this then for 10's and 5's, and you've got it.

Have you figured out your maxes on lifts? If you really have a good idea then you can go ahead with guesstimates, but they recommend to figure them out in the gym, then do SD then and start. Hope you read this: HST Calculator Instructions

fiddler

Awards
you could do it that way, sure :)

Basically as long as you stick to the principle of progressive load you'll be ok (i.e a mandatory increase in weights over your cycle). The most common way to do it is:

1. Figure out your 15 rep max

2. Use the calculator on the site to get a starting point and increases. If your 15RM on squats is 225, then you have 6 total workouts to build up to 225 for 15 reps (which will be workout #6). So you could do increments of 10lbs up the whole way (175,185,195,205,etc) until your 6th workout, which will be 225 for 15 reps. You do this then for 10's and 5's, and you've got it.

Have you figured out your maxes on lifts? If you really have a good idea then you can go ahead with guesstimates, but they recommend to figure them out in the gym, then do SD then and start. Hope you read this: HST Calculator Instructions
Sort of. i have records over 3 months on DC program so i have a pretty good idea what my 15 rep max is. i have no idea what my 10 would be and the 5. i would have to guess on those.

The thing that i'm unclear on is, it seems that for 15 reps and dropping 20-30 lbs. even with 2 sets that it's not gonna be much of a workout initially. But i guess i will see. they do recommend 2 sets if you are not fatiqued.

I'm so used to 12-14 reps, 15 secs rp, 4-6 reps, 15 sec rp, then 1-3 reps that i'm just not sure that 30 lbs less for the first workout or 2 that i'm actually going to feel anything.

but as i understand it, it is suppose to be conditioning for your tendons so...

what are you doing for reps and sets?

fiddler

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
there are general calculations in that thread to figure out your maxes :)

You can do 2 sets if you wish, I'm not. I'm actually enjoying working out smarter, not necessarily harder (yet) ;) :D

Most there will tell you that the 15's feel too easy at first, but regardless if you do it right there's no reason you have to go to failure/fatigue. We are concerned with hypertrophy, not CNS neural adaptation and so on.

fiddler

Awards
sounds great. i looked at it as soon as i saw your post about hst.

i think i've got about as much neural adaptation as i'm going to get. i've been going 110% for years now. frankly, i'm getting tired of this.

so still just one set...ok...i'm going to try this too!

fiddler

VanillaGorilla

Awards
  • Established
I'm curious VG, how is 5 reps high reps?!?

Do you normally do just 1 rep?

fiddler
What are you taking about? No where in my post did it say anything about 5 reps. If you read what I wrote, I said I tried the program and it didn't work very well for me. My opinion of that kind of training style is it better suited for a cutting program. Which would be a full body work out 3 times a week, 30 sec to 1 minute in-between sets using high reps which would be about 15 reps.

fiddler

Awards
What are you taking about? No where in my post did it say anything about 5 reps. If you read what I wrote, I said I tried the program and it didn't work very well for me. My opinion of that kind of training style is it better suited for a cutting program. Which would be a full body work out 3 times a week, 30 sec to 1 minute in-between sets using high reps which would be about 15 reps.
Bro, i'm not gonna argue with you. the program is NOT about doing 15 reps sets. if that is all you did then you missed the whole point all together. In fact you didn't even do the program so then you wouldn't know whether it really works or not.

fiddler

VanillaGorilla

Awards
  • Established
Bro, i'm not gonna argue with you. the program is NOT about doing 15 reps sets. if that is all you did then you missed the whole point all together. In fact you didn't even do the program so then you wouldn't know whether it really works or not.
Can you find in any of my posts where I said I just did 15 reps the whole time and that I didn't try the program? I'll repeat this for the third time. I TRIED THE PROGRAM. IT DIDN'T WORK VERY WELL. My opinion of it is the regular program isn't very effect for putting on muscle but if you change it to a high rep protocol it works well for cutting. READING COMPREHENSION...................... work on it.

Blindfaith

Awards
Hey Guys stop yelling at each other...sheesh!

Anyways...Im using HST right now and I love it. I have just finished my 10 rep phase and I am now on to the 5 rep phase. I really like this training program because it only needs to be done 3x per week and it is a fullbody routine. I really stay away from high volume routines because they tend to burn me out in about 6 weeks. I can see myself following HST for quite sometime. And it only takes about 35-40mins per workout.

I am finding that by always progressing each workout makes it so that each workout is harder than the last. I am gaining size on my arms and legs while my BF% and my waist line are going down. Can't go wrong with that!

Cheers

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
Hey Guys stop yelling at each other...sheesh!

Anyways...Im using HST right now and I love it. I have just finished my 10 rep phase and I am now on to the 5 rep phase. I really like this training program because it only needs to be done 3x per week and it is a fullbody routine. I really stay away from high volume routines because they tend to burn me out in about 6 weeks. I can see myself following HST for quite sometime. And it only takes about 35-40mins per workout.

I am finding that by always progressing each workout makes it so that each workout is harder than the last. I am gaining size on my arms and legs while my BF% and my waist line are going down. Can't go wrong with that!

Cheers
great to hear BF! :thumbsup: :cheers:

You're about a week ahead of me and I can already tell I really like it. I know my lifts are going to go up too...those initial 15 and 10RM figures now seem like they were a little light ;) After reading it and strating to do it, it does seem like working any other way just doesn't make sense, lol (unless it's sport-specific or pure strength obviously). I'm very interested on how I'll do with it on cycle, I have a post on their board for suggestions.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
great to hear BF! :thumbsup: :cheers: You're about a week ahead of me and I can already tell I really like it. I know my lifts are going to go up too...those initial 15 and 10RM figures now seem like they were a little light ;) After reading it and strating to do it, it does seem like working any other way just doesn't make sense, lol (unless it's sport-specific or pure strength obviously). I'm very interested on how I'll do with it on cycle, I have a post on their board for suggestions.
A couple things:

1) As with an AAS cycle, make sure you eat to gain. Otherwise you won't get much.

2) The program can be tweaked endlessly. I saw one person here posted that the program was supposed to be full body, three times a week. That's only because of the principle of frequency, every muscle should be trained once every 48 hours. You can split that almost any way you want, as long as you hit every muscle with a progressively heavier load every 48hrs you're good.

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
A couple things:

1) As with an AAS cycle, make sure you eat to gain. Otherwise you won't get much.

2) The program can be tweaked endlessly. I saw one person here posted that the program was supposed to be full body, three times a week. That's only because of the principle of frequency, every muscle should be trained once every 48 hours. You can split that almost any way you want, as long as you hit every muscle with a progressively heavier load every 48hrs you're good.

Yeah I've come up with about 5 different scenarios for this fall cycle already, lol. I don't have the time to do a 6 day split or AM/PM though....wish I did actually! As long as I focus on progressive load, no SD needed on cycle, and not dropping weights on PCT I think I'll be ok with what I have in mind.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established

Yeah I've come up with about 5 different scenarios for this fall cycle already, lol. I don't have the time to do a 6 day split or AM/PM though....wish I did actually! As long as I focus on progressive load, no SD needed on cycle, and not dropping weights on PCT I think I'll be ok with what I have in mind.
I think we've spoken before on the HST boards if I'm not mistaken.

Blindfaith

Awards
After reading it and strating to do it, it does seem like working any other way just doesn't make sense, lol (unless it's sport-specific or pure strength obviously). I'm very interested on how I'll do with it on cycle, I have a post on their board for suggestions.
I couldnt agree more....im really interested too in seeing how good this program would be on a cycle...also if I would still be making gains a year from folling the HST principles...im going to go to the HST boards to get some more info on that.

Maybe a light 14-20 week Test/EQ cycle would be prudent?

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It works well although I didn't do it exactly how they lay it out in their program but its still periodization training (progressive load, eccentric and/or concentric trianing). I adpated it towards a more volume based training and I got better results that way that using split routines. But some will experience the opposite....

As for the frequency I found no difference at all in certain muscle groups (larger groups) whether I hit it every 48hrs, or once per week.

fiddler

Awards
hey blindfaith,

what does your routine look like? i think i'm just going to start with a basic, one compound exercise per muscle group, once per day, 3 times a week and see what happens. Need experience with this routine to twig it properly.

fiddler

Blindfaith

Awards
hey blindfaith,

what does your routine look like? i think i'm just going to start with a basic, one compound exercise per muscle group, once per day, 3 times a week and see what happens. Need experience with this routine to twig it properly.

fiddler
Here are my exercises:

Barbell Squats
Leg Curls
Donkey Calve Raises
DB Bench Press
Lat Pulldowns
DB Shrugs
DB Side Laterals
BB Curls
Tricep Cable Pushdown
Weighted Ab Crunches

fiddler

Awards
Here are my exercises:

Barbell Squats
Leg Curls
Donkey Calve Raises
DB Bench Press
Lat Pulldowns
DB Shrugs
DB Side Laterals
BB Curls
Tricep Cable Pushdown
Weighted Ab Crunches
thanks, bro. but i what i really want to know is what your 15 rep max, 10 rep max, 5 rep max and what your 6 weekly plan is.

fiddler

Blindfaith

Awards
thanks, bro. but i what i really want to know is what your 15 rep max, 10 rep max, 5 rep max and what your 6 weekly plan is.

fiddler
sorry dude...not sure what you are asking :(

are you asking me how much I am lifting for each exercise for my max?

fiddler

Awards
sorry dude...not sure what you are asking :(

are you asking me how much I am lifting for each exercise for my max?
yeah. i want to know how you are structuring your workout, reagrding reps, sets in relation to your max. what your increment is for your workouts.

HST seems to be very flexible so i am trying to figure out how to structure my workouts.

fiddler

Blindfaith

Awards
yeah. i want to know how you are structuring your workout, reagrding reps, sets in relation to your max. what your increment is for your workouts.

HST seems to be very flexible so i am trying to figure out how to structure my workouts.

fiddler

ok doing 2 sets for each exercise for the 15's, 10's, and 5's.

Here are the weight incriments im doing for each exercise:

Barbell Squats - 15lbs
Leg Curls - 10lbs
Donkey Calve Raises - 5lbs
DB Bench Press - 5lbs
Hammer Lat Pulldowns - 10 lbs
DB Shrugs - 5lbs
DB Side Laterals - 5lbs
BB Curls - 5lbs
Tricep Cable Pushdown - 5lbs
Weighted Ab Crunches - 5lbs

And there you go! :thumbsup:

fiddler

Awards
ok doing 2 sets for each exercise for the 15's, 10's, and 5's.

Here are the weight incriments im doing for each exercise:

Barbell Squats - 15lbs
Leg Curls - 10lbs
Donkey Calve Raises - 5lbs
DB Bench Press - 5lbs
Hammer Lat Pulldowns - 10 lbs
DB Shrugs - 5lbs
DB Side Laterals - 5lbs
BB Curls - 5lbs
Tricep Cable Pushdown - 5lbs
Weighted Ab Crunches - 5lbs

And there you go! :thumbsup:
thanks bro. i start next week, so now i go plan!

fiddler

xMikeDieselx

Awards
I just started my first week of 10's on HST. I did one week of 15s. Hated the 15s. Anyway, It's too early to tell if it'll work for me or not, but we'll see. I've always gotten my best results with low rep heavy lifting. It'll be interesting to see how this works out for me.

fiddler

Awards
I'm on my 2nd week of 15's. I have no idea how you guys can do more than 1 set. After taking almost 2 weeks off, i almost didn't get to 15 reps.

I'm also used to doing DC's routine, so i have no problems going all out and it still kicked my butt. especially if you're only resting 2 minutes between sets. i went to 3 because i was winded.

fiddler

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
I only do 1 set. I just finished my 10's and am now really starting to see results. I can tell my original 15 and 10 RM seem very low now, which is great. :)

fiddler

Awards
awesome bro. next week i start the 10's. i can't tell yet how well it's working. i have high hopes though. It sure isn't easy...

fiddler

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
awesome bro. next week i start the 10's. i can't tell yet how well it's working. i have high hopes though. It sure isn't easy...

fiddler
yeah the 10's feel much better than the 15's for me. I think the 5's will be great mentally, I'm just so used to lifting heavy :thumbsup:

fiddler

Awards
absolutely. i'm starting 10's now and they feel much better. i don't mind going heavy but heavy and 15 is really tough.

fiddler

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
I'm in the 5's and I actually didn't drop the weight back from the last session of 10's at all...I'm simply keeping some weights the same until it's time to raise them again for the 5's. Basic principle: not lowering the actual weight lifted throughout the cycle, which I understand is OK to do with HST. :)

SureShot

SureShot

Awards
  • Established
how long does it take you guys to perform each session?

fiddler

Awards
i do the whole body at once, so it takes me about 1.5 hours. i can do it in 1 hour but i'm breathless and extremely tired so i decided to add and extra minute or so between exercises.

sounds good jweave. i'm actually just using the basic blueprint that they posted and it seems to be working. my clothes are getting a little tighter and i'm losing a little bit of fat too.

fiddler

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
mine takes about 45 minutes, I only do 1 set per bodypart. BTW I am gaining some mass and losing fat as well. I'm only on V12 and an ECY stack, 40/40/20 diet with about 3000 cals. :)

Manu20

Manu20

Superman
Awards
  • Established
Jweave just curious as to what exercises you do for your HST workouts?

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Jweave just curious as to what exercises you do for your HST workouts?
Don't know his, but here's mine. When I go HST style with this I put on good mass.

Bench Press
Bent Over Row
Wide Grip Lat Pulldown
Clean and Press
EZ Bar Curl
Triceps Extension
Calf Raise
Dead Lift
Swiss Ball Crunches

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
I do:
BB Squat
Incline DB Bench
Calf Raise
Pec Deck Flys
Seated Ham curls
Front military press (Smith)
Lat pulldowns
DB Curls
BB Shrugs
DB Lat pulls
Skullcrushers
Ab machine

Manu20

Manu20

Superman
Awards
  • Established
Thanks Jweave and CDB. CDB I know Jweave said he only does one set of each, how many do you do?

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Thanks Jweave and CDB. CDB I know Jweave said he only does one set of each, how many do you do?
Depends on the exercise. No less than two of any. When I do HST I progress the sets as such: one of each for the 15s, two for the tens, three to four for the 5s. Right now I'm basically just doing standard strength training, I average 3 sets per exercise.

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
I do one set for the 15's and 10's, 2 sets for the 5's :)

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
BTW I should add I'm in the 3rd week of 5's now (not doing neg's) and I am lifting as much or more than I did at peak on my last cycle...but I'm clean right now :thumbsup:

Manu20

Manu20

Superman
Awards
  • Established
BTW I should add I'm in the 3rd week of 5's now (not doing neg's) and I am lifting as much or more than I did at peak on my last cycle...but I'm clean right now :thumbsup:
After the 3 week of 5's what are you going to do...another week or go back to 15's?

Manu20

Manu20

Superman
Awards
  • Established
I do one set for the 15's and 10's, 2 sets for the 5's :)
I think I am going to structure mine similar to this for my first cycle of HST and see how it goes or if I should add another set to the 15's and 10's.

Manu20

Manu20

Superman
Awards
  • Established
No problem. Always glad to help. Ever since I found out about HST I've been telling people about it. It's a nice method.
It looks like a solid method and I'm getting pumped about trying it out. I need a change and routine and this looks like its what I'm looking for.

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
After the 3 week of 5's what are you going to do...another week or go back to 15's?
one least week of 5's (4 weeks total of 5's), then SD for 9 days. After that it's time for my next cycle, so I'll be doing a lengthened version, something like 15,12,10,10,10,10,8,8,5,5,5,5. That will get me through an 8 week cycle + post cycle without letting the weight go down, just the volume ;) Then SD again.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
one least week of 5's (4 weeks total of 5's), then SD for 9 days. After that it's time for my next cycle, so I'll be doing a lengthened version, something like 15,12,10,10,10,10,8,8,5,5,5,5. That will get me through an 8 week cycle + post cycle without letting the weight go down, just the volume ;) Then SD again.
I'd recommend a longer SD. Just from personal experience. An injury forced me to quit for three weeks, Now I'm lifting again and my EZ bar curl has gone up ten pounds already and I've seen a noticable increase in hardness and size in the muscle. I've only been lifting for two weeks and I'm not even doing an HST cycle this time, just SST.