Chiropractic / Musculoskeletal / Joint pain Q & A...

Page 6 of 13 First ... 45678 ... Last
  1. subluxations

hey doc i recently went to the chiropractor after being in pain for about 1 1/2 years. I always thought I pulled a muscle because the pain would come and go. its always the worst in the morning when get out of bed. Turns out i have some subluxations in my upper back on my right side right under my shoulder blade is where the pain is. The doctor i saw sad my bad posture in my neck was causing it. Anyway i get my back and neck cracked 3 times a week for the next 3 months and i was wondering if there were any stretches i could preform on my own time to help increase the mobility of the area ?

if it matters im 25 years old 6'7 225

2. Quote Originally Posted by newman897 View Post
    hey doc i recently went to the chiropractor after being in pain for about 1 1/2 years. I always thought I pulled a muscle because the pain would come and go. its always the worst in the morning when get out of bed. Turns out i have some subluxations in my upper back on my right side right under my shoulder blade is where the pain is. The doctor i saw sad my bad posture in my neck was causing it. Anyway i get my back and neck cracked 3 times a week for the next 3 months and i was wondering if there were any stretches i could preform on my own time to help increase the mobility of the area ?

if it matters im 25 years old 6'7 225
    My first suggestion is to run that exact question by your CHIRO, he is the one treating you and I really don't want to step on anyone's toes here. But I will tell you a neck stretch that should help you out a lot, again run this advice by him first, as he might have a different plan in mind for you. Anyway, I recommend you do this stretch every single day... 3 x's a day for 5 minutes each time. It may make your neck sore at first, but will help re-balance the natural cervical curve in your neck, which from what you are telling me I am pretty sure is your problem. Lay on your back on your bed with your head handing off the bed and just relax and let gravity do the work for 5 mins at a time. Kind of like when you were young and maybe laid on the couch watching tv upside down, also, while doing this put a pillow under your knees to keep them propped up in the air a little, knees not your feet, and this will help keep any unnecessary pressure off your low back as well. If you are not sure what I am talking about just ask and I'll try to explain it better.
    Dr. Albert Scott Representative for FINAFLEX
    www.finaflex.com
    Redefine Yourself..... REDEFINE EVERYTHING!
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by tromcom View Post
    Thanks for the thread. I'm also in the ATL. I saw your gyno surgery photo and was wondering if you could advise where you had it done?
    Thanks
    I had my surgery done at Thomas Cosmetic Surgery Center somewhere off of Jimmy Carter Blvd, I think that is in Atlanta, or right on the outskirts of the city near I-85 & I-285. Here is their email address... [email protected] I hope this helps bro, I think they did a fantastic job to be honest with you, they went in by making their incision around the outer edge of my nipples and yes I can see a scar, but only because I know it is there, others do not see or notice it at all, it blends in with my nipple line almost perfectly... I mean you tell me, can you see it in any of my other pictures, look in my picture gallery??? All the pictures of me in my picture gallery were after the surgery!
    www.finaflex.com

4. so far the art/graston is helping. it has reduced the normal day to day irritation (it wasn't constant pain, but just moving certain ways used to cause more pain) and has increased what i'd call my "pain endurance" during workouts. not how much pain I get and can handle, but how long into the workout it is before pain starts. I'm back to where I can work chest hard enough to get DOMS, which is sort of nice

5. Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    so far the art/graston is helping. it has reduced the normal day to day irritation (it wasn't constant pain, but just moving certain ways used to cause more pain) and has increased what i'd call my "pain endurance" during workouts. not how much pain I get and can handle, but how long into the workout it is before pain starts. I'm back to where I can work chest hard enough to get DOMS, which is sort of nice
    Awesome Bro, sounds like it is working, just keep it up, I am happy for you Bro!!!
    www.finaflex.com
    •   

6. I totally understand what your saying thanks for the advice. Ill tell him CHRIO tomorrow about it. That is what my problem is my head sits to far forward and my neck isnt curved right.

7. Quote Originally Posted by newman897 View Post
    I totally understand what your saying thanks for the advice. Ill tell him CHRIO tomorrow about it. That is what my problem is my head sits to far forward and my neck isnt curved right.
    Good Plan Bro, remember structure affects function and function affects structure... they go hand-in-hand, get them both right and you are GOLDEN!!!
    www.finaflex.com

8. so my chirpractor told me something interesting during today's ART/graston torture session. He said that if I can avoid it, I should never do overhead shoulder presses or any other overhead move to where my elbows raise higher than my shoulder. He explained how the delt easily starts to overpower the rotator muscles which would normally keep it in place, and when the arm starts to go above parallel to the floor is when the humerus is pulling out of the rotator cuff the hardest. I just wanted to check in and see what y'all thought.

9. Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    so my chirpractor told me something interesting during today's ART/graston torture session. He said that if I can avoid it, I should never do overhead shoulder presses or any other overhead move to where my elbows raise higher than my shoulder. He explained how the delt easily starts to overpower the rotator muscles which would normally keep it in place, and when the arm starts to go above parallel to the floor is when the humerus is pulling out of the rotator cuff the hardest. I just wanted to check in and see what y'all thought.
    That would make it difficult to work shoulders, but I am interested in feedback on this too. It seems to me like proper alignment in the lift technique might address some of this but I have no scientific basis for that. But if the weight is on proper line with the body it should put less strain on the rotator cuffs, however, the more the weight is located eccentrically forward or back it would seem that it would proportionally strain the rotator cuff.

I've got heavy seated DB shoulder presses today too!

10. Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    so my chirpractor told me something interesting during today's ART/graston torture session. He said that if I can avoid it, I should never do overhead shoulder presses or any other overhead move to where my elbows raise higher than my shoulder. He explained how the delt easily starts to overpower the rotator muscles which would normally keep it in place, and when the arm starts to go above parallel to the floor is when the humerus is pulling out of the rotator cuff the hardest. I just wanted to check in and see what y'all thought.
    OK... I want to word this properly... He is right, but that is not a very practical answer to the problem and in my opinion a tad extreme! What I mean by him being right is what Easy described him saying is accurate, the delt does start to overpower the rotator cuff muscles and when you do a military press the humerus is pulling on the rotator cuffs the hardest, but our bodies were designed to lift overhead, therefore I believe if you take the right precautions knowing this fact (as in work just as hard to strengthen the rotator cuff muscles as you do to work the delts) you can counteract future problems. I mean my shoulders have a tendency to be rolled forward and when I was in Chiropractic school many moons ago, I asked one of my professors what I could do and he said never workout my chest or biceps and concentrate on my triceps and and back and after a year or two it would correct itself, I did not listen, but heard him, so I started doing chest and biceps light and for high reps, while I continued to train my back and triceps heavy and sure enough after about 3yrs it did correct itself. So with that being said, maybe if one is experiencing shoulder pain, workout your rotator cuffs light weight high reps twice a week and only do heavy military presses every other week, to let one catch up to the other. Well that is my take on it anyway!
    www.finaflex.com

11. Thanks for the info Doc. I'll check them out. I was wondering if any of the other photos were from after the surgery. It looks like the did a superb job if they all were.

btw - F.F. 550 XD was the bomb!

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyDoc View Post
    I had my surgery done at Thomas Cosmetic Surgery Center somewhere off of Jimmy Carter Blvd, I think that is in Atlanta, or right on the outskirts of the city near I-85 & I-285. Here is their email address... I hope this helps bro, I think they did a fantastic job to be honest with you, they went in by making their incision around the outer edge of my nipples and yes I can see a scar, but only because I know it is there, others do not see or notice it at all, it blends in with my nipple line almost perfectly... I mean you tell me, can you see it in any of my other pictures, look in my picture gallery??? All the pictures of me in my picture gallery were after the surgery!

12. Quote Originally Posted by tromcom View Post
    Thanks for the info Doc. I'll check them out. I was wondering if any of the other photos were from after the surgery. It looks like the did a superb job if they all were.

btw - F.F. 550 XD was the bomb!
    No... I don't have any other post surgery picts, I mean not immediately after if that is what you are referring to. I was heavier then and wasn't really taking pictures with my shirt off, LoL, if you know what I mean. But later when I got lean, which was like 1.5yrs later, I have tons of picts and it is so hard to notice, I mean you have to know it is there and be really looking for it, I'm in no way insecure about it, because I forget the scars are even there and they blend into my areola's so well you really have to be examining my nipples to really see them. They did a damn good job, could not have been more pleased with the results!
    www.finaflex.com

13. I had meant when I saw your surgery pics, I wondered if any of the other pics in your profile were post surgery. The fact that they all are means they did a great job. I couldn't see any sign of scarring. Sorry for the confusion. I wonder if you can answer another question. After the glandular tissue is removed, is there any chance of it returning.

No... I don't have any other post surgery picts, I mean not immediately after if that is what you are referring to. I was heavier then and wasn't really taking pictures with my shirt off, LoL, if you know what I mean. But later when I got lean, which was like 1.5yrs later, I have tons of picts and it is so hard to notice, I mean you have to know it is there and be really looking for it, I'm in no way insecure about it, because I forget the scars are even there and they blend into my areola's so well you really have to be examining my nipples to really see them. They did a damn good job, could not have been more pleased with the results!

14. I have a question if you do not mind after your done responding to tromcom. I have been working seated calf raises for about 3 months 2x a week (switched from standing Calf raises). About two weeks ago after my workout I noticed that my left ankle now pops every time I walk down a set of stairs. Also happens a lot if I shift weight from right to left foot if I extend my toes much. Gets worse and easier to start the pop when my joints and muscles are cool (exception being right after a calf workout session its easier to pop then also). It does not hurt in the slightest but I am kinda concerned to hear a releatively loud pop every step down stairs.

Should I be concerned or just change excercise for a while?

15. I've got another question for you too Scotty when you have time. Friday I did some straight bar curls. Everytime I do these on the inside of my elbow joint I feel a pop. It's not in the actual bone part of the joint but in the ligaments/tendons. It feels really awkward and afterwards is a bit sore which I know can't be good. I have tried them with thumbs on and thumbs off grip and that doesn't make a difference. I have also tried varying my grip width to no avail. So I am wondering what the heck is wrong with my anatomy that I can't do this basic exercise? Thanks in advance.

16. Quote Originally Posted by tromcom View Post
    I had meant when I saw your surgery pics, I wondered if any of the other pics in your profile were post surgery. The fact that they all are means they did a great job. I couldn't see any sign of scarring. Sorry for the confusion. I wonder if you can answer another question. After the glandular tissue is removed, is there any chance of it returning.
    Yes, my surgeon warned me that it is almost impossible to remove 100% of the mammillary glands, therefore if something were to cause them to grow out of control like that again (continued hormone use) then yes it could happen again. He told me that he had worked on a few professional wrestlers that had to come back and get repeat surgery like a year or two later!
    www.finaflex.com

17. Thanks again. I really appreciate it!

Yes, my surgeon warned me that it is almost impossible to remove 100% of the mammillary glands, therefore if something were to cause them to grow out of control like that again (continued hormone use) then yes it could happen again. He told me that he had worked on a few professional wrestlers that had to come back and get repeat surgery like a year or two later!

18. Quote Originally Posted by SEAJ View Post
    I have a question if you do not mind after your done responding to tromcom. I have been working seated calf raises for about 3 months 2x a week (switched from standing Calf raises). About two weeks ago after my workout I noticed that my left ankle now pops every time I walk down a set of stairs. Also happens a lot if I shift weight from right to left foot if I extend my toes much. Gets worse and easier to start the pop when my joints and muscles are cool (exception being right after a calf workout session its easier to pop then also). It does not hurt in the slightest but I am kinda concerned to hear a releatively loud pop every step down stairs.

Should I be concerned or just change excercise for a while?
    That is odd, I would get that checked out! I mean if there is no PAIN, I would lose sleep over it, but I would definitely get it checked out either by a Chiropractor or an Orthopedic, just to play it safe and it not get worse and lead to early Osteoarthritis or possible ligament damage later due to instability! Always better safe than sorry, hope this helps, sorry I could not be of more assistance!
    www.finaflex.com

19. Quote Originally Posted by sapentia View Post
    I've got another question for you too Scotty when you have time. Friday I did some straight bar curls. Everytime I do these on the inside of my elbow joint I feel a pop. It's not in the actual bone part of the joint but in the ligaments/tendons. It feels really awkward and afterwards is a bit sore which I know can't be good. I have tried them with thumbs on and thumbs off grip and that doesn't make a difference. I have also tried varying my grip width to no avail. So I am wondering what the heck is wrong with my anatomy that I can't do this basic exercise? Thanks in advance.
    OK, I too have trouble when doing straight bar curls, I get the same thing! I don't know if it is something with our anatomy, lack of ROM (range of motion) either in our wrists or rotation in our forearms affecting our elbow, or even a lack of flexibility in the rotator, flexors, & extensors in our forearms putting extra pressure at the elbow joint. There are so many things it can be, I have just found that I don't get that pain when use the french-curl bar, so I personally just avoid straight-bar curls and stick with dumbbells and french-curl bar curls. This might actually be a really good question for BEZOE... You out there Bro, wanna add some insight?
    www.finaflex.com

20. That is odd, I would get that checked out! I mean if there is no PAIN, I would lose sleep over it, but I would definitely get it checked out either by a Chiropractor or an Orthopedic, just to play it safe and it not get worse and lead to early Osteoarthritis or possible ligament damage later due to instability! Always better safe than sorry, hope this helps, sorry I could not be of more assistance!
    Thanks. I will get it checked out.

21. Quote Originally Posted by ScottyDoc View Post
    OK, I too have trouble when doing straight bar curls, I get the same thing! I don't know if it is something with our anatomy, lack of ROM (range of motion) either in our wrists or rotation in our forearms affecting our elbow, or even a lack of flexibility in the rotator, flexors, & extensors in our forearms putting extra pressure at the elbow joint. There are so many things it can be, I have just found that I don't get that pain when use the french-curl bar, so I personally just avoid straight-bar curls and stick with dumbbells and french-curl bar curls. This might actually be a really good question for BEZOE... You out there Bro, wanna add some insight?
    At least I'm not alone! Bummer though, I was hoping you might have some insight. My bis really lag in development and just don't respond well. I typically use the french-curl bar too or dumbbells. I think I'm right that the french curl bar works the brachialis much more than straight bar which is why I wanted to use the straight bar to focus more on the bi itself. Oh well, work with what you got and make the best of it! I would be really curious to know what the heck is going on in our joints though.

22. Quote Originally Posted by sapentia View Post
    At least I'm not alone! Bummer though, I was hoping you might have some insight. My bis really lag in development and just don't respond well. I typically use the french-curl bar too or dumbbells. I think I'm right that the french curl bar works the brachialis much more than straight bar which is why I wanted to use the straight bar to focus more on the bi itself. Oh well, work with what you got and make the best of it! I would be really curious to know what the heck is going on in our joints though.
    Ahhh, I have somewhat of a solution for you, I don't have a solution for you to start using the straight bar, but I do have a solution to help you develop your bicep better. I do these at least every other workout, when you do your french curls especially when you are doing preachers and really isolating them, curl with your wrists in the extended position throughout the entire movement, takes all the emphasis off of your forearm flexors and onto your bicep, completely isolates the bicep, works awesome!!!
    www.finaflex.com

23. Quote Originally Posted by ScottyDoc View Post
    Well there is a muscle called the supinator. It supinates the forearm (imagine that) and when the palm is up (supinated) this muslce is shortened across the medial aspect of the elbow joint. Its tendons may possibly be "snapping" across different bony prominences during the straight bar curls. The soreness is due to them being very mildly frayed. Like if you pulled a tightened piece of string over a rock... it will slowly fray and wear.

And yes some people have different anatomy.. tendons and ligaments are more or less lax in some individuals. You may just wanna find an alternative if it gives you trouble. OR stretch these medial elbow muscles by straigtening your elbow, turning your palm up, and extending (bending backward) your wrist with overpressure.
    Suffer now.. and live like a champion later.

24. Scratch the supinator muscle premise. It originates on the humerus and inserts on the radius. More likely the popping is wrist flexor muscle tendons on the medial aspect of the elbow being "snapped" across the medial epicondyle of the humerus. Stretch them the same way I described in the previous post.

25. Quote Originally Posted by ScottyDoc View Post
    Ahhh, I have somewhat of a solution for you, I don't have a solution for you to start using the straight bar, but I do have a solution to help you develop your bicep better. I do these at least every other workout, when you do your french curls especially when you are doing preachers and really isolating them, curl with your wrists in the extended position throughout the entire movement, takes all the emphasis off of your forearm flexors and onto your bicep, completely isolates the bicep, works awesome!!!
    Thanks for the tip! I will try that later today with my workout.

26. Quote Originally Posted by bezoe View Post
    Scratch the supinator muscle premise. It originates on the humerus and inserts on the radius. More likely the popping is wrist flexor muscle tendons on the medial aspect of the elbow being "snapped" across the medial epicondyle of the humerus. Stretch them the same way I described in the previous post.
    Thanks for the advice Bezoe; I will stretch as you describe and see if it makes any difference.

27. Quote Originally Posted by bezoe View Post
    Scratch the supinator muscle premise. It originates on the humerus and inserts on the radius. More likely the popping is wrist flexor muscle tendons on the medial aspect of the elbow being "snapped" across the medial epicondyle of the humerus. Stretch them the same way I described in the previous post.
    Wait, I'm confused at what you are saying?

I know there are supinating and pronating muscles within the forearm which supinate and pronate the hand...

I'm just a confused right now, LoL! Bare with me!
    www.finaflex.com

28. Quote Originally Posted by ScottyDoc View Post
    Wait, I'm confused at what you are saying?

I know there are supinating and pronating muscles within the forearm which supinate and pronate the hand...

I'm just a confused right now, LoL! Bare with me!
    LOL yea the "supinator" and the "pronator teres". Supination occurs at the wrist AND elbow. Its essentially just the radius rotating. The ulna doesnt move. I was thinking the "supinator" was on the medial aspect of the elbow which wouldnt be logical at all.. i was very sleepy last night so it took me reading my post after I posted it to realize lol.

29. Would anyone happen to know some ways to ease knee pain? I had a rod placed in my femur a few years ago and have been steadily bringing the strength back, but my job requires me to be on my feet on concrete in steel toe boots 50-60 hours a week and its takin a toll on my knees when I try to train. I have insoles in my boots, take osteo-biflex, and ibuprofen. I dont know what else to do.

30. Quote Originally Posted by bomcgraw View Post
    Would anyone happen to know some ways to ease knee pain? I had a rod placed in my femur a few years ago and have been steadily bringing the strength back, but my job requires me to be on my feet on concrete in steel toe boots 50-60 hours a week and its takin a toll on my knees when I try to train. I have insoles in my boots, take osteo-biflex, and ibuprofen. I dont know what else to do.
    See a foot doctor, you may require orthopedic boots.
    Taste the rainbow.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. b12 and joint pain
    By Mad_Scientist in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-08-2010, 05:29 PM
  2. Joint Pain
    By wesb2387 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-15-2009, 01:57 PM
  3. Joint pain E2?