Chiropractic / Musculoskeletal / Joint pain Q & A...

Page 11 of 16 First ... 910111213 ... Last

  1. I love the back massage/roller table at my chiropractors. probably too expensive to buy for home.


  2. Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    I love the back massage/roller table at my chiropractors. probably too expensive to buy for home.
    Bran spanking new they are $1,800.00 with delivery, so if you found a local Chiro going out of business, you could definitely pick up a used one in the range of $700-$1,000 if not cheaper depending on how old it is and the condition it is in!
    Dr. Albert Scott Representative for FINAFLEX
    www.finaflex.com
    Redefine Yourself..... REDEFINE EVERYTHING!
    •   
       


  3. i'll have to keep an eye out

  4. Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    i'll have to keep an eye out
    On the plus side, they are very simple machines that tend to last 20+ years with little to no maintenance, the padding and exterior covering is what wears out and needs to be changed every 5-10 years depending on the volume of use per day!
    Dr. Albert Scott Representative for FINAFLEX
    www.finaflex.com
    Redefine Yourself..... REDEFINE EVERYTHING!

  5. I have a knee issue and my chiro cant figure out what it is, can you help me out sir?
    "No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training...what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." - Socrates
    •   
       


  6. Quote Originally Posted by oogaly_boogal View Post
    I have a knee issue and my chiro cant figure out what it is, can you help me out sir?
    I will do my best, but as I have stated before in past posts, Knees are not my specialty! There are two other guys that frequent this thread... BEZOE & CELC5 that could probably do a better job than I could, but regardless of where/who the help comes from, lets start with some basic information... Which knee (right or left)? Which leg is your dominent leg (right or left)? Is it anterior (front) or posterior (back) of your knee? Is it medial (inner) or Lateral (outer) knee? Please explain the different motions that aggravate your knee and which motions do not? Which orthopedic tests did your last CHIRO perform, if you don't remember the names of them, just describe what he did/had you do? Did he see anything on x-rays? How did this injury come about, suddenly (if so what happened) or slowly got worse over time? On a scale of 1-10 how bad is the pain, even if it is a zero at rest, describe it when it is at its worse or when you do something that aggravates it? Have you ever experienced this pain before? Is there anything you do that makes it better or worse (daily life things, position, walking or resting it a certain way, ice, heat, anything)? Lets start with answering those questions and by then hopefully BEZOE or CELC5 will chime in for the assist!
    Dr. Albert Scott Representative for FINAFLEX
    www.finaflex.com
    Redefine Yourself..... REDEFINE EVERYTHING!

  7. Haha thank you, sorry I'm just getting annoyed with this damn knee I have had problems for 3 years after getting T-boned in a car accident.

    Injury : Right knee, lateral, inability to stretch quadricep to the full extent. Lack of stability.

    Some background history, I had a mensicectomy of the lateral meniscus removing 1/3 of it.

    The cause of my most recent injury is uncertain in origin, but for around a year, when the leg is bent and the foot is moved upwards as if I were to cross my legs, there is always an intense pain and someone of a tearing feeling. Originally I could pop whatever the issue was back in by forcing my leg back into the other direction (it always felt like a slight fibular head dislocation, as it was also protruded a bit more every time this occurred).

    It is my right knee, there is a band (I say band because it is a solid lump that flexes when i extend my leg) running from what appears to be my vastus lateralis, along the lateral side of my patella. It is above my patella, causing it to "catch" every time I attempt to stretch my quadricep. There was swelling but no bruising.

    I suspect it could be my iliotibial band as I once did muay thai, and do like to run long distances. As well as the fact if I flex my quad it no longer has the form it used to.

    My chiro did the usual crucial ligament tests, they aren't torn at least. He was more focused on aligning my hips and spine.

    Initially the pain was an 8 in comparison my root canal after breaking a molar was a 5. The shin/fibula hurt the majority of the day, now just the fibular head is a bit tender. If I stand on it for some time or walk long distances it begins to hurt. When i attempt to stretch my quad the head of the vastus lateralis begins to hurt. I will post pictures the knee looks quite deformed.

    To relieve the pain I tend to take hot baths while breaking down the Iliotibial band, as well as massaging the calve and using pressure to relieve the quad, and using my foam roller to work on my glutes and hamstrings. It has been helping but I would rather know the cause. I stopped using ice as swelling isn't really the issue.

    Aggravated by this even a slight movement feels as if it dislocates the fibular head.
    Name:  exercises.for.low.back.pain.ankle.over.knee.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  34.3 KB

    Here is the knee, stretched at the same length as the left knee, notice the absence of a knee cap and the odd form.
    Name:  IMG_20110810_135120.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  47.3 KB
    "No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training...what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." - Socrates

  8. Quote Originally Posted by oogaly_boogal View Post
    Haha thank you, sorry I'm just getting annoyed with this damn knee I have had problems for 3 years after getting T-boned in a car accident.

    Injury : Right knee, lateral, inability to stretch quadricep to the full extent. Lack of stability.

    Some background history, I had a mensicectomy of the lateral meniscus removing 1/3 of it.

    The cause of my most recent injury is uncertain in origin, but for around a year, when the leg is bent and the foot is moved upwards as if I were to cross my legs, there is always an intense pain and someone of a tearing feeling. Originally I could pop whatever the issue was back in by forcing my leg back into the other direction (it always felt like a slight fibular head dislocation, as it was also protruded a bit more every time this occurred).

    It is my right knee, there is a band (I say band because it is a solid lump that flexes when i extend my leg) running from what appears to be my vastus lateralis, along the lateral side of my patella. It is above my patella, causing it to "catch" every time I attempt to stretch my quadricep. There was swelling but no bruising.

    I suspect it could be my iliotibial band as I once did muay thai, and do like to run long distances. As well as the fact if I flex my quad it no longer has the form it used to.

    My chiro did the usual crucial ligament tests, they aren't torn at least. He was more focused on aligning my hips and spine.

    Initially the pain was an 8 in comparison my root canal after breaking a molar was a 5. The shin/fibula hurt the majority of the day, now just the fibular head is a bit tender. If I stand on it for some time or walk long distances it begins to hurt. When i attempt to stretch my quad the head of the vastus lateralis begins to hurt. I will post pictures the knee looks quite deformed.

    To relieve the pain I tend to take hot baths while breaking down the Iliotibial band, as well as massaging the calve and using pressure to relieve the quad, and using my foam roller to work on my glutes and hamstrings. It has been helping but I would rather know the cause. I stopped using ice as swelling isn't really the issue.

    Aggravated by this even a slight movement feels as if it dislocates the fibular head.
    [IMG]http://www.google.com/imgres?q=crossed+knee&um=1&hl= en&safe=off&rlz=1C1TSND_enUS40 8US408&biw=1366&bih=667&tbm=is ch&tbn****LNWrgk-TQhWL0M:&imgrefurl=http://www.nasm.org/hfpnpreview/article.aspx%253Fid%253D2347&d oc****z3iay_xoyldijM&w=314&h=15 3&ei=f-5CTraRNYTViALi_eG-BQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=199&vpy= 433&dur=740&hovh=122&hovw=251& tx=133&ty=93&page=1&tbnh=102&t bnw=209&start=0&ndsp=20&ved=1t :429,r:14,s:0[/IMG]
    Man... minus getting my hands on that knee and feeling around and doing a little motion-palpation, it is really hard for me to say, definitely cannot pin-point a direct diagnosis with the information I have! I'll tel you what, it sounds like it needs a good adjustment to really set that bugger (fibular head) back into its normal juxtaposition!
    Dr. Albert Scott Representative for FINAFLEX
    www.finaflex.com
    Redefine Yourself..... REDEFINE EVERYTHING!

  9. thanks, i updated with a pic, you can see the deformation haha

    edit: that isn't swelling its solid
    "No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training...what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." - Socrates

  10. Damn... it is causing your right calf to atrophy even!
    Dr. Albert Scott Representative for FINAFLEX
    www.finaflex.com
    Redefine Yourself..... REDEFINE EVERYTHING!

  11. Quote Originally Posted by ScottyDoc View Post
    Damn... it is causing your right calf to atrophy even!
    Sad thing is my legs look tiny after only 3 weeks and I do squat/deadlift heavy.

    I guess I should go and see my orthopedic surgeon again?
    edit: reason I haven't gone to him is it's really expensive and im a broke college student.
    "No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training...what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." - Socrates

  12. Quote Originally Posted by oogaly_boogal View Post
    Sad thing is my legs look tiny after only 3 weeks and I do squat/deadlift heavy.

    I guess I should go and see my orthopedic surgeon again?
    edit: reason I haven't gone to him is it's really expensive and im a broke college student.
    isn't there some cheap health insurance plan through the school?

  13. I just got kaiser which should be activating soon, lots of loopholes to get through before they will send me for an MRI though. They suck, I grew up with them.
    "No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training...what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." - Socrates

  14. Quote Originally Posted by oogaly_boogal View Post
    I just got kaiser which should be activating soon, lots of loopholes to get through before they will send me for an MRI though. They suck, I grew up with them.
    Kaiser does suck and they are one of the best insurance companies for denying claims due to loop-holes in their fine-print! Example: "Oh... your injury happened on a Thursday, well it clearly states on page 51, paragraph 7, line 32 that we do not accept responsibility for any injuries that occur on Thursdays, sorry, is there anything else we can help you with today? Do you mind staying online and participating in a quick survey to rate your quality of service today?"
    Dr. Albert Scott Representative for FINAFLEX
    www.finaflex.com
    Redefine Yourself..... REDEFINE EVERYTHING!

  15. Anymore orthopedic questions?? I want some action! (even though i want people to be healthy too lol)
    Suffer now.. and live like a champion later.

  16. Quote Originally Posted by bezoe View Post
    Anymore orthopedic questions?? I want some action! (even though i want people to be healthy too lol)
    well, how about working with me on what I should do with my chest + shoulder routines to minimize issues with my shoulder?

  17. Easy, what does your routine look like now? You looking for something prophylactic or are you currently having issues?
    Suffer now.. and live like a champion later.

  18. Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    Ok so my MRI findings were overall

    Possible superior labral tear
    suspected articular surface partial thickness tear of the digital supraspinatus
    subacromial bursitis
    impingement with hyptrophic change of the AC joint encroaching upon the supraspinatus

    there was some increased mri signal in the labrum so he couldn't rule out the labral tear. the partial tear is approx 7-8mm wide and 75% of the cross section diameter of the tendon. The impingement is with anterior and lateral down sloping of the acromion.

    so outside of stop lifting + surgery, any good suggestions as to how to put a workout routine together that targets chest effectively ? I can live with my shoulders not improving much.
    Overall, i've seen decent improvement with the ART + Graston, but I think we've hit maximum improvement there. Right now I do varied chest presses (really playing with elbow and hand spacing to avoid pain) and doing fairly little for direct shoulder work. My chiropractor has suggested that I do no shoulder exercises where my elbows go higher than my shoulders.

    As an example for chest this week I did single arm db press, cable crossovers, incline bb press, machine flys

  19. Well.. the chiro is accurate in his suggestion to avoid shoulder abduction past 90 degrees. Because of the "impingement" findings via MRI, this precaution will help protect against reaggravating symptoms. So.. any movements that involve abduction past parallel with the ground should be avoided. If you want to perform an abduction movement like a shoulder lateral raise, do it with your thumb up towards the ceiling.

    As far as the SLAP lesion goes.. theres really nothing that will eliminate symptoms. Avoid shoulder internal and external rotation to end range. If you wanna hit chest thoroughly without exaccerbating the shoulder pain.. perhaps try some partial range movements like DB presses to only 6-8 inches off chest for a few sets then 6-8 inches from completely locking out. So ultimately, you arent completeing a full blown range of motion each rep.

    Give me some feedback on what you think of this
    Suffer now.. and live like a champion later.

  20. Sorry if its hard to take me seriously because of my avatar
    Suffer now.. and live like a champion later.

  21. Quote Originally Posted by bezoe View Post
    Well.. the chiro is accurate in his suggestion to avoid shoulder abduction past 90 degrees. Because of the "impingement" findings via MRI, this precaution will help protect against reaggravating symptoms. So.. any movements that involve abduction past parallel with the ground should be avoided. If you want to perform an abduction movement like a shoulder lateral raise, do it with your thumb up towards the ceiling.

    As far as the SLAP lesion goes.. theres really nothing that will eliminate symptoms. Avoid shoulder internal and external rotation to end range. If you wanna hit chest thoroughly without exaccerbating the shoulder pain.. perhaps try some partial range movements like DB presses to only 6-8 inches off chest for a few sets then 6-8 inches from completely locking out. So ultimately, you arent completeing a full blown range of motion each rep.

    Give me some feedback on what you think of this
    Thats an interesting strategy, i'll give it a whirl. I had been trying some other ideas, using reverse grip (to end up with lower working weight but same stimulation) and more reliance on the smith machine so I can more easily play with working out which angle of upper arm and what grip position works best.

  22. Sorry it took so long. I had to consult the literature on this one.

    Here are reasons why I dont like either of these exercises: Reverse grip presses put your shoulder in an inefficient vulnerable externally rotated position. With a reverse grip press, the biceps brachii vigorously contracts to pull the humerus into flexion. The BB originates on an area of the scapula (superior glenoid fossa) that also connects to the glenoid labrum (which you have ruptured):
    Name:  glenoid-labrum-tear.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  89.4 KB

    Therefore I suggest conventional grip over reverse. HOWEVER, I dont like smith machine as a primary exercise because of its lack of planes of movement. It only allows one plane out of 3 dimentionally possible planes. So no matter how you position your body and arms etc. you are still limited to a single, vetical plane of movement. This, over time, creates faulty proprioceptive feedback which will result in faulty joint movement and undesired joint stress. Its called "pattern overload". So contrary to what people think- smith and other machines are good for rehab, they are not optimal for anyone.

    But, like I always say, listen to your body. If dumbbells irritate the shoulder dont do them. Im gonna try and compile a list of doable exercises for you.
    Suffer now.. and live like a champion later.

  23. The dumbbells usually aren't too bad, but when I go heavy I sometimes end up in a situation where a slight bit of upper arm angle off causes enough momentary pain that I end up dropping the dbs rather than completing. Its not super frequent, and more when i'm doing 90+ lb dbs. This week I had tried doing one arm db presses, and that was a total bitch even with 70s but not painful in the shoulder.

  24. Yea im sure its a real bitch lol. That labral cartilage surrounds the humeral head so with any glenohumeral movement you risk aggravating that area. Unfortunately it may continue to bother you without surgery. That cartilage isnt real viable tissue so primary healing isnt likely. Good news is the MRI conclusions make it look pretty managable with surgery at this point.
    Suffer now.. and live like a champion later.

  25. yea, i'm just still on the fence as to whether to go that route. I should do it this year, as i've already paid my deductible for the year on insurance.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. b12 and joint pain
    By Mad_Scientist in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-08-2010, 05:29 PM
  2. Joint Pain
    By wesb2387 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-15-2009, 01:57 PM
  3. Joint pain E2?
    By rfish1966 in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-25-2007, 01:44 PM
  4. GVT and Joint Pain
    By ironviking in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-07-2003, 11:46 PM
Log in
Log in