too much chest work?

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Wtf? Bro u come on here judging me and bashing all my posts and expect me to know all about BB right from the get go. U basically go out and tell me that my goal is impossible to reach and then suggest a routine that I can't yet use.

2. It is one of those hard to explain or communicate well to others topics. People called Arnold's routine as too much, training twice a day 6 days a week. But who to say that once a day 5 days a week is not as demanding? it is up to interpretation and people's ego. People argue "I only need 2 days to recover" and "I don't feel I am overtraining".

Training for size and definition is like wanting to gain muscle and lose fat. It will work for a while, but then your gains will suffer.

You need to get very strong and you will get bigger. Trying to define 18" arms is easier and faster than trying to gain 2" defined. Not that I totally understand what the difference is, if you bench heavy, your triceps will grow..etc.
    But that is the point behind abbreviated training such as 5x5, the 20 rep squats, etc. Concentrate on the 3 main lifts plus few hand picked extras and do them till you get very strong at them. When you are in new weight territory, you can modify your routine to shape, cut, or do what you like but at least you will have the strength to do it.

As far as the advanced training and why you may not be experienced enough to do it, I will only speculate the following. As you get stronger, you start reaching limits on your lifts. You cannot constantly add 10lbs a year, let alone a month to your lifts.
    Once you hit such advanced training, the training becomes very demanding and very difficult with high potential of overtraining.
    If your gains stop on the advanced routine, what would your recourse be? add more workouts, sets, or reps? reduce them? get rid of aux. lifts for the sake of the primary ones? drop the weights on some of the workouts and add to the lagging one? add more rest time? sleep more? take more days off? take a week off?
    With the high potential of overtraining and because of the demanding nature of those lifts, you probably can still make comparable gains using easier routines for now.

Hope this helps.
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by bi0hazurd View Post
    Wtf? Bro u come on here judging me and bashing all my posts and expect me to know all about BB right from the get go. U basically go out and tell me that my goal is impossible to reach and then suggest a routine that I can't yet use.
    I'm not saying it is impossible, but you make the same thread over and over and over. What you want takes years to develop, but, for some reason, you expect it to happen practically overnight.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

4. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    I'm not saying it is impossible, but you make the same thread over and over and over. What you want takes years to develop, but, for some reason, you expect it to happen practically overnight.
    I don't remember ever mentioning how soon I want my goals.

5. Quote Originally Posted by bi0hazurd View Post
    I don't remember ever mentioning how soon I want my goals.
    You constantly make a thread about getting X result. I can extrapolate from there.

Then again, that may be part of the problem. Instead of seeing a long-term goal, why not break it up into smaller fragments?
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

•   

6. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    You constantly make a thread about getting X result. I can extrapolate from there.

Then again, that may be part of the problem. Instead of seeing a long-term goal, why not break it up into smaller fragments?
    As in how? Cuz my goal for now thru this thread was a stronger bigger chest.

7. Quote Originally Posted by bi0hazurd View Post
    As in how? Cuz my goal for now thru this thread was a stronger bigger chest.
    This is subjective and not measurable. What you need is a specific, reasonable goal (+40 lbs on a lift in 2-3 months is not realistic) with a deliberate plan to achieve said goal.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

8. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    This is subjective and not measurable. What you need is a specific, reasonable goal (+40 lbs on a lift in 2-3 months is not realistic) with a deliberate plan to achieve said goal.
    How is that not realistic? I've done that before

9. Quote Originally Posted by bi0hazurd View Post
    How is that not realistic? I've done that before
    This is exactly what I'm talking about. You do realize that strength and/or LBM gains are not linear, right? You'd be lucky to add another 40 lbs over the next 6-8 months.

I gained a solid 30 lbs of muscle in my first 2 years training. It would be foolish to think that I could do that over the next 2 years because that's not how it works.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

10. Quote Originally Posted by bi0hazurd View Post
    Yea but isn't DC a specific routine. If I follow it by the letter what would be the difference
    If you think you can do DC, give it a shot. But... if your not ready for it, it will do you no good.

11. Quote Originally Posted by bi0hazurd View Post
    I've been working out since I was 13 so 5 years now. I'd honestly have to say that with a real routine like 5x5 I've only been working out for about a year. I've seen great gains in strength and size since starting 5x5 and modifying my diet. I do wanna look good tho so I add in certain iso movements for the parts of my body that are lacking size and shape.
    At 18 I would say the routine is definitely not too much. At that age your body is able to recover much quicker, and adapt to new programs much better. Your still on your body's peak age for growth, use it while you can!
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Flat bench to the chest or couple inches above chest...
    By bbillcee in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 07-02-2008, 06:30 PM
  2. good work outs for chest and abs
    By williamszues in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-11-2008, 05:43 PM
  3. How can you work out your chest without a weight bench??/
    By bishop17 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-03-2007, 11:35 PM
  4. All barbell work for chest?
    By spatch in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-26-2006, 03:07 PM
  5. Chest exercises that don't work shoulders?
    By The Doberman in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-04-2005, 12:40 PM