How much chest is too much?

hmatthews50

Awards
Can I do a chest exercises 5 days a week along with my routine?
Mon-legs
Tues-chest tri's
Weds-back & bi's
Thurs-shoulders legs
Fri-chest

Devildog_

Devildog_

Awards
Can I do a chest exercises 5 days a week along with my routine? Mon-legs Tues-chest tri's Weds-back & bi's Thurs-shoulders legs Fri-chest
Why would you want to do chest 5 times a week? All you're going to to is hinder your ability to improve. Your chest will have no time to recover and in turn won't grow

BLaQz

BLaQz

Awards
Why would you want to do chest 5 times a week? All you're going to to is hinder your ability to improve. Your chest will have no time to recover and in turn won't grow
I'd predict possible shoulder issues in your future also, because I would bet that someone that concerned about chest work would put less effort into back & shoulders, more specifically rear delts... I'm not saying you don't work hard... I'm saying you may work harder on chest than supporting muscle groups...

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'd predict possible shoulder issues in your future also, because I would bet that someone that concerned about chest work would put less effort into back & shoulders, more specifically rear delts... I'm not saying you don't work hard... I'm saying you may work harder on chest than supporting muscle groups...
^^ This is another good point. Muscular balance plays a huge role in your joint and tendon health as well. If you aren't making an effort to balance our strength and physique with proper recovery you're just begging for trouble.

Mystere3

Awards
I wouldn't work chest more than 2x a week.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Can I do a chest exercises 5 days a week along with my routine?
Mon-legs
Tues-chest tri's
Weds-back & bi's
Thurs-shoulders legs
Fri-chest
I believe your shoulder and chest workout days are too close together. Depending on the overall goal one could hinder the other and lead to an injury IMO

Mystere3

Awards
Mon: chest
Tues: legs
Wed: arms
Thurs: off
Fri: shoulders/chest
Sat: back
Sun: off

Try that. If you train close grip on wed with arms you'll hit chest 3x a week.

segomo

Awards
I think as stated the big emphasis is WHY so much chest ? If you have the right training session 2 times a week you'll see great results...consistency is key though. What are you going for mass or strength ? They obviously somewhat go hand in hand but totally different training regimens will maximise one or the other

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My current split looks like so:

Chest / Traps
Quads / Calves
Lats / Delts
Hamstrings / Calves

I can rest when ever I want/need, and recovery has yet to be an issue in 2 years of running it. I also run it as a PHAT style of training as well.

Touey

Touey

Awards
I have not done "chest work" per se in over 5 years simply gets hit enough from twice weekly shoulder lift routines tue. and fri., still chest is better shape than when used to hit heavy weekly

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have not done "chest work" per se in over 5 years simply gets hit enough from twice weekly shoulder lift routines tue. and fri., still chest is better shape than when used to hit heavy weekly
Many guys I lift with express the same thing. I hit chest directly one day a week and then it gets hit secondarily from doing shoulder work. If you feel the need to have a pump in your chest all the time, just burn out each day with weighted dips.

The one thing I do like in your routine what I would not expect from someone asking about a 5x chest workout is that you have legs in there twice.

Hyena

Hyena

Awards
One thing we haven't touched on is exercise selection. If you can fit chest in twice a week I saw very good balanced results doing barbell press variations (incline flat narrow etc) and dumbell flys workout one and dumbell press variations and cable flys workout two. Day one heavy 4-6 reps on presses working sets, 8-10 reps on flys. Day two light 8-15 reps on presses and cables. Fit dips in somewhere - eat and sleep a lot.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sure, but again you are posting about 2 days a week. He is asking about 5.

Hyena

Hyena

Awards
I think it was covered that 5 days is not an option in earlier replies to the question. I was trying to give a good realistic alternative

TKC432

TKC432

Awards
  • Established
I can't fathom why you would want to hit chest 5x a week. As others have stated already, that is a recipe for serious shoulder problems. If you feel you're not getting enough pec stimulation and that is why you wanna do this perhaps you should re-evaluate your chest routine .... increase volume and intensity and keep it to 1-2times a week and see gains without destroying your shoulders. And .... as already stated above.....exercise selection plays a huge part. What works great for some may not stimulate muscle growth for you. In my experience I have had to try different exercises ... play with different angles, different weights and rep ranges, etc ... until I could really feel the muscle contraction and then I knew I found something that would work for me. Just my 2 cents

Last edited:
TKC432

TKC432

Awards
  • Established
ever notice imbalances with guys? guys that look like hunchbacks? if you can bench 350 but only pull 100 you got a problem
I agree. A strong back will help you bench more anyway so I simply think its a lack of education and poor advice from those other BB sites ....with regards to the hunchbacks you mention. Too much focus on international chest day rather than learning to intimately love the Deadlift. Well .... that's what this site is all about....education. Finding this site and seeking out information to improve his technique clearly shows he is headed down the right path and will ultimately do well. I've found this site to be an incredible wealth of information and a real brotherhood of experienced lifters who truly want to help.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
To be fair, I'd say 75-80% of the guys at my gym have the oversized upper compared to their lower. It looks very strange and not athletic at all.

Hyena

Hyena

Awards
Every gym i have trained in has plenty of lollipops, even the dirt gyms. Always staring in the mirror or texting.. barbell curls in the squat rack :) sorry off topic