How long of a rest between sets?

DB21

DB21

Awards
How long of a rest do I take between sets if I'm trying to get big?

Jake Fires

Jake Fires

Awards
  • Established
endurance about 30-45 secs
hypertrophy 1min
Power- even longer i wanna say 2 mins but i might be wrong.

jaydollars

jaydollars

Awards
  • Established
How long of a rest do I take between sets if I'm trying to get big?
Rest 5 to 10 minutes between sets, look at the girls, talk to your friends, sip your cell-tech...then do another set

That is how you get huge!!!!!

forsure

Awards
hypertrophy 1min

Your right, Let me show a article i found online.

When was the last time you were in the gym and you watched the average guy time his recovery with a stop watch? Stop watches are not just for endurance athletes but should be used by every person who is serious about building big muscles.

Generally, the closer you lift to your one rep max, the longer the rest period and the higher the number of reps, the shorter the rest period. This is a crucial variable, which is often overlooked, yet will determine whether you create the correct training response.

For example, if you are training for maximal strength which requires at least 3-5 minutes rest between sets and you are only taking 2 minutes, you are not giving your nervous system an honest workout. If you are training for muscle size which requires shorter 30-90 second style recoveries but are gazing at the cute girl on the elliptical letting your rest periods carry over these ranges, you are not giving your metabolic system an honest workout.

Lastly, how do you know if you are truly stronger if you do not monitor your rest period? For example, let’s say last week you bench pressed 135 pounds for four sets of ten. This week you bench pressed 145 pounds for four sets of ten. Assuming the rest period was identical for both workouts, this is a tremendous improvement and a measurable sign of improvement! However, what if you took an extra minute or two between each set on the recent workout? This means that you did not actually become stronger. You just had a longer rest period!

Pinky355

For me,
60 secs between sets but 90 secs on squats, deadlift and power shrugs. 2 mins rest between different exersizes and always timed off the clock. If I dont keep track then I cant really compare sessions for true improvement as the intensity will be different if training over different timeframes.

JamieOleBoy

JamieOleBoy

Awards
Good read, always been curious about this

DB21

DB21

Awards
Your right, Let me show a article i found online.

When was the last time you were in the gym and you watched the average guy time his recovery with a stop watch? Stop watches are not just for endurance athletes but should be used by every person who is serious about building big muscles.

Generally, the closer you lift to your one rep max, the longer the rest period and the higher the number of reps, the shorter the rest period. This is a crucial variable, which is often overlooked, yet will determine whether you create the correct training response.

For example, if you are training for maximal strength which requires at least 3-5 minutes rest between sets and you are only taking 2 minutes, you are not giving your nervous system an honest workout. If you are training for muscle size which requires shorter 30-90 second style recoveries but are gazing at the cute girl on the elliptical letting your rest periods carry over these ranges, you are not giving your metabolic system an honest workout.

Lastly, how do you know if you are truly stronger if you do not monitor your rest period? For example, let’s say last week you bench pressed 135 pounds for four sets of ten. This week you bench pressed 145 pounds for four sets of ten. Assuming the rest period was identical for both workouts, this is a tremendous improvement and a measurable sign of improvement! However, what if you took an extra minute or two between each set on the recent workout? This means that you did not actually become stronger. You just had a longer rest period!
Thank you very much.

Interesting article, thanks for the advice.

Jet

Awards
  • Established
I'm not sure why short rest periods are required for hypertrophy from a physiologic standpoint. Since nearly all weightlifting activities (at least all the rep schemes suggested on this board) are limited to the phos****en energy systems and the glycolytic energy system to a limited extent (if getting into the higher rep schemes), aerobic metabolism doesn't come into play as an energy provider. Longer rest periods allow the phos****en system to resynthesize ATP (the energy currency of the body) using creatine phosphate, allowing more weight to be lifted during the next set. Muscular strength is directly related to cross sectional area of muscle (size), so allowing adequate rest to maintain a high intensity (in terms of weight lifted) seems more important than short rest periods. A short rest period limits the amount of weight lifted by limiting the recovery of the phos****en energy system, and therefore limits optimal force output and muscle hypertrophy. If anybody could explain the reasoning behind short sets, I'd be happy to hear it.

EDIT: Not sure why the board is editing p*h*o*s*p*h*a*g*e*n*

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
2-5 minutes is what i use. Walk around, sip some intra or water, get your breath back...etc

Harry Manback

Harry Manback

Awards
  • Established
45-60 seconds for max hypertrophy
3 mins, complete ATP restoration aka strength and powerlifting.

For me, I feel my body out. It tells me when to go. Sometimes sooner than others.

This is my bodys' world, my brain's just living in it.

Jet

Awards
  • Established
45-60 seconds for max hypertrophy
3 mins, complete ATP restoration aka strength and powerlifting.
My argument is that max hypertrophy is achieved by lifting more weight, not by hindering your ability to perform at the highest intensity possible by limiting rest.

Harry Manback

Harry Manback

Awards
  • Established
While resting longer accrues more ATP to be replenished, a shorter rest period forces more fibers to be used to complete the lift, rather than relying on ATP as your energy source.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
While resting longer accrues more ATP to be replenished, a shorter rest period forces more fibers to be used to complete the lift, rather than relying on ATP as your energy source.
Not necessarily. All fibers contract at the same time (it's called the "all or none principle). Shorter rest periods accumulate more lactic acid and that's about it. ATP is the energy source regardless of the type of training and only the energy system changes.

Harry Manback

Harry Manback

Awards
  • Established
Not necessarily. All fibers contract at the same time (it's called the "all or none principle). Shorter rest periods accumulate more lactic acid and that's about it. ATP is the energy source regardless of the type of training and only the energy system changes.
Ok.

Why is it assumed that a shorter (1 min) rest period is better for hypertrophy rather than a longer (3 minute) rest period? Is it hearsay?

Eric160

Awards
  • Established
I'm not sure why short rest periods are required for hypertrophy from a physiologic standpoint. Since nearly all weightlifting activities (at least all the rep schemes suggested on this board) are limited to the phos****en energy systems and the glycolytic energy system to a limited extent (if getting into the higher rep schemes), aerobic metabolism doesn't come into play as an energy provider. Longer rest periods allow the phos****en system to resynthesize ATP (the energy currency of the body) using creatine phosphate, allowing more weight to be lifted during the next set. Muscular strength is directly related to cross sectional area of muscle (size), so allowing adequate rest to maintain a high intensity (in terms of weight lifted) seems more important than short rest periods. A short rest period limits the amount of weight lifted by limiting the recovery of the phos****en energy system, and therefore limits optimal force output and muscle hypertrophy. If anybody could explain the reasoning behind short sets, I'd be happy to hear it.

EDIT: Not sure why the board is editing p*h*o*s*p*h*a*g*e*n*
its because it says P*H*A*G in the middle

chocolatemilk

chocolatemilk

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Very good thread and points made.. learned very useful stuff

BoundToSteel

Awards
I personally like 30-45 sec rest. Higher intensity for me. Jay Cutler is the same way, but big Ronnie likes longer so rest periods imo don't need to be super long but are not as critical as say over all intensity, how hard you actually push is much more important. I stay in top gear when I only rest 30 sec but when I rest say 2 min I can lift more weight so there are pros to both...

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
I personally like 30-45 sec rest. Higher intensity for me. Jay Cutler is the same way, but big Ronnie likes longer so rest periods imo don't need to be super long but are not as critical as say over all intensity, how hard you actually push is much more important. I stay in top gear when I only rest 30 sec but when I rest say 2 min I can lift more weight so there are pros to both...
:goodpost:

deadaim

Banned
Awards
  • Established
The way I see it, the more rest I get between sets, the better my sets are.

Since I believe muscle growth (in relation to weight lifting) is obtained through, reps + weight + time under tension + ROM. If more rest allows me to do those things better, then im benefiting.

bigdave

bigdave

Awards
All or none principle applies to indivdiual motor units not whole muscle

Fatal Wisdom

Fatal Wisdom

Awards
  • Established
I was under the impression that it's all about what your body responds to.. I don't grow much from 10-12 rep range, just don't. I grow most from a 5-7, a heavier weight, so a longer rest period is required. Also, shorter rest periods I'd only use if I was trying to burn fat..I don't think there is a golden guideline to how long builds the most muscle

jontrainer

Awards
when i use rest/pause method i get super soar and i feel pumped all week but does this actually mean my muscles will grow?

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
I follow the DC recommended 30-45 seconds or an 15 even breaths. Enough to allow muscle fibers to regenerate some ATP but not too long as to allow cellular membrane potentials to relax.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
hypertrophy 1min
In my observations powerlifters (and linebackers who resemble brick walls) tend to take their rest period between 1-2 minutes. It's kind of based on your physical performance goals. Obviously a track runner wouldn't wait 2min between sets and a OT wouldn't give it 15sec.

Someone else mentioned how you begin to "feel it out." 100% true. You'll know when you're ready, just don't hesitate to act on it.

Jake Fires

Jake Fires

Awards
  • Established
the real key is to "FATIGUE" the muscle fibers. if your doing lifts that are tough and you pump out enough reps, it should be really hard to get the last of the reps out. say your doing 4 sets 10 reps. your reps should look like this,
10-10-8-6 or close to that without breaking proper form.

if form is broken the weight is truely too much for u. you should feel unable to get the weight up not a struggle type thing.

say your benching, last rep last few sets, one arm is pushing the weight up faster than your other arm. STOP! rackem up ur done. that weight is too much man. especially if this is on your 1st or 2nd set.

Jake Fires

Jake Fires

Awards
  • Established
In my observations powerlifters (and linebackers who resemble brick walls) tend to take their rest period between 1-2 minutes. It's kind of based on your physical performance goals. Obviously a track runner wouldn't wait 2min between sets and a OT wouldn't give it 15sec.

Someone else mentioned how you begin to "feel it out." 100% true. You'll know when you're ready, just don't hesitate to act on it.
well if your power lifting your using up alot of ATp on a count of the dominant energy system your using (ATP-PC). this then will turn to ADP (adenosine phosphate) the long rest gives the power lifters cells to reconnect more creatine phosphate to those ADP molecules to make more ATP. they do take longer rest than 1 min. 1 min is simply too short of a time for a power lifter. what arent they lifting what 80-90% of 1rm or something like that?

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
well if your power lifting your using up alot of ATp on a count of the dominant energy system your using (ATP-PC). this then will turn to ADP (adenosine phosphate) the long rest gives the power lifters cells to reconnect more creatine phosphate to those ADP molecules to make more ATP. they do take longer rest than 1 min. 1 min is simply too short of a time for a power lifter. what arent they lifting what 80-90% of 1rm or something like that?
Great point. They run through the same reserves much quicker - if you did the math and physics it might even be more. Regardless their cells are hardwired to expend all of it in shorter bursts of anaerobic exercise. They tap into the creatine waaay before we do.

Mongo97

Awards
  • Established
as it has already been said endurance is 0-30
hyper-45 sec-1.5 min I stay at 1 min
strength/power-3 to 5 min to get fully recovered and atp levels restored

NCAA68

NCAA68

Awards
  • Established
On my power days I go when I feel ready, lots of factors not being addressed, whats the temperature of the gym, is the AC on? What exercize am I doing and how far into my workout am I. I really only time my rests on my cutting workouts, and thats more of a cardio feel I want to get. After enough workouts you'll know when your ready for your next set.

Another idea is your intensity/adrenaline ebbs and flows in a matter of seconds as well, take a little time to stare at the weight and get yourself pumped, get angry at it if you have to.

triton185

triton185

Awards
  • Established
On my power days I go when I feel ready, lots of factors not being addressed, whats the temperature of the gym, is the AC on? What exercize am I doing and how far into my workout am I. I really only time my rests on my cutting workouts, and thats more of a cardio feel I want to get. After enough workouts you'll know when your ready for your next set.

Another idea is your intensity/adrenaline ebbs and flows in a matter of seconds as well, take a little time to stare at the weight and get yourself pumped, get angry at it if you have to.
Listen to the BIG brotha!! Seriously, if you are lifting heavy and low reps, I could not imagine resting less that 3 or 4 minutes. When I was doing a power lifting routine back in the day, I had to have 5 minutes! It is just night and day between 3 rep sets and 10. At 3 reps, you gotta have your mind right and a little rest or you are going to fail.....because 3 rep set are intense.

I do mainly 8 to 12 reps now a days and don't rest but a couple of minutes between sets.