Weight Belt for squats/deadlifts?

arfcommer

Awards
I did a quick search and didn't find much. Anyway, I'm just looking for a general opinion on using weight belts for squats and deadlifts. How important are they for helping to prevent injury? Do they hinder or help form at all? Currently I am not using one but, I feel like I may need one after my last leg workout since my back was hurting a bit after squats (I watch my form carefully too).

Anyway, opinions? Is one type of belt better than the next? Thanks.

permanabol

Awards
Bet you don't watch your back. kick your but out and keep your backed arch and everything in your body tight. With no belt you build a strong ass core. I'm doing sheiko atm and don't ever use a belt on any of my workouts based on a belted and wrapped max

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
If you have back pain from squats (not muscle soreness) then there is likely something up with your form.

A good test for this is to try some overhead squats with the bar only. If you have a hard time not falling forward then like the previous poster said, you probably are losing your arch (this becomes more pronounced the deeper the squat).

Belts can be useful for heavy lifting - I have to use one due to a previous injury. However they should not be used as a band-aid for sloppy form.

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
I wear one during deadlifts. To me, its not worth the potential injury.

AnthonyIOSOS

AnthonyIOSOS

Awards
  • Established
I used to wear a belt. I ditched it a few months back and noticed improvements in core stability and strength.

I had to start a bit lighter without the belt and increased the weight every workout. Now I am squating more without belt than ever before. Keep it light, focus on form and increase when things improve.

It took some time to get used it, especially the mental aspect.

wedlund6

Awards
  • Established
loose the belt for deads you will hit your lower lats so much more i will never go back to a belt. form is key

WarMachine000

WarMachine000

Awards
  • Established
Tried a belt before- I can't stand them! I never used them enough to notice a difference in my lifts, but when you focus on form and train without a belt it does lead to overall better gains IMO.
Stiff leg deads and hyperextensiona (and deadlifts and squats) will help those back extensors get stronger, which will help with balance and back fatigue. Also cable crunches help (I feel like).
Good luck.

permanabol

Awards
I'm with you on the cable crunches did some today!! while on the topic of back arch for me to get parallel I have to dip my but into the hole and then fire it out causing me to round my back would you say my problem is that I'm not flexible enough in the hips/ankles or my back is just weak. or I just plain suck at squats :)

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
while on the topic of back arch for me to get parallel I have to dip my but into the hole and then fire it out causing me to round my back would you say my problem is that I'm not flexible enough in the hips/ankles or my back is just weak. or I just plain suck at squats :)
Could be overdeveloped abs and/or insufficient ab flexibility and/or underdeveloped spinal erectors.

I always had to take a slightly wider stance to get to parallel or it felt like my joints just locked up.

Again, try working on form with overhead squats. This exercise forces proper form or else you will fall forward.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Yeah next to impossible to cheat. Here's some vids (best to watch chicks lift IMO but the dude pushes some decent weight.)

AnthonyIOSOS

AnthonyIOSOS

Awards
  • Established
Crazy videos. I really like that girls form until the last few reps. It was getting a bit scary, I thought her arms were going to snap off. Very nice form for the most part.

The video of the guy looked ****ing dangerous. That can not be good for you.

Awesome exercise.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
The video of the guy looked ****ing dangerous. That can not be good for you.

Awesome exercise.
Yeah for form practice just a bar is needed. When you're actually lifting for weight you have to dump it when you hit failure. You can't try to catch it or you will tear your arms off. My gym doesn't have olympic weights or a pad so I just do them light for form.

jaydollars

jaydollars

Awards
  • Established
There are arbitrary studies on using a belt, if you never used one and keep good form, which I do, you develop a strong core...

If you have always used one the belt is now a crutch, and most likely your core may not be developed as much...however while maxing out I feel that adding the belt gives some added protection and should be used

I think belts, wrist wraps, and gloves are all a bunch a crap. People say "well is I don't use my belt or my wraps I can't lift as much". Well if you never used the belt or wraps that wouldn't be a problem, but because you use them now it is

rambo679

rambo679

Awards
  • Established
Anyone ever notice dudes who have to wear a weight belt for every workout? I mean doing it for deadlifts and squats is one thing, but I figure there's no debate about the need for a weightbelt during dumbell kickbacks.

ShadowFury

ShadowFury

Awards
  • Established
Anyone ever notice dudes who have to wear a weight belt for every workout? I mean doing it for deadlifts and squats is one thing, but I figure there's no debate about the need for a weightbelt during dumbell kickbacks.
Ya, have seen a couple of guys doing this(mainly older). I assume it's the age, or some kind of injury or something. Not quite sure really.

I personally don't use a belt at all. I used one for deads a few months ago, but stopped. I can't compare to what I would be gaining from using one, but my core strength has really increased(not saying it's from the lack of a belt, but nonetheless, it increased). I use gloves only if needed(I have a pair with wrist wraps, usually use those if I use any gloves).

I think I will start using a belt once I get to freakish weights(gimme a week :p) but for now I'm sticking with what God gave meh

musclemonkey

Awards
as most everyone said belts can be a band-aid and hinder core strength. I personally use a belt on later sets, when i'm exhausted and starting to lose form. Belts used properly can be a great tool to shock your muscles into hypertrophy. But again that's after you've exhausted your core. Belts are basically the lifting straps of your core. (compare: lifting straps are used because of a weak or exhausted grip. you don't want to hinder the extent of the workout because your grip is failing...same goes for a belt imo throw it on to continue keeping a heavy load on your legs but AGAIN only after you've properly exhausted your core using good form.)

hope i didn't ramble too much

m.m.

musclemonkey

Awards
I believe box squats are amazing at building core strength...I was going to post some how-to video's but my post count is not high enough. if you youtube search boxsquat technique you'll find some good videos.

m.m.

Blacktail

Blacktail

Awards
  • Established
Use them for maxing out and when you have an injury.

bezoe

bezoe

Awards
  • Established
belts help with the "valsalva maneuvar".. such as during squats one SHOULD hold their breath during at least half of the conccentric movement, and the belt augments the tightening of the abdominal cavity to support the weight

i use the belt for heavy compound lifts to move more weight.. i feel its definetely beneficial

but i suppose using a belt too often might result in weaker core muscles than what they would be

Sweekaters

Awards
Could be overdeveloped abs and/or insufficient ab flexibility and/or underdeveloped spinal erectors.

I always had to take a slightly wider stance to get to parallel or it felt like my joints just locked up.

Again, try working on form with overhead squats. This exercise forces proper form or else you will fall forward.
I just started doing overhead squats on my light days (texas method). I thought my form was decent on squats, but I nearly fell flat on my face after just a few reps!

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
Whether or not you can do overhead squats is largely irrelevant to whether you can back squat correctly. Most of the time the limiting factor in overhead squats is whether you have the flexibility and shoulder strength to keep the bar from drifting too far forward while held overhead. These factors have no bearing on your ability to back squat. There are tons of people who have very good back squat form and technique who can't overhead squat due to shoulder limitations.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Whether or not you can do overhead squats is largely irrelevant to whether you can back squat correctly. Most of the time the limiting factor in overhead squats is whether you have the flexibility and shoulder strength to keep the bar from drifting too far forward while held overhead. These factors have no bearing on your ability to back squat. There are tons of people who have very good back squat form and technique who can't overhead squat due to shoulder limitations.
Never said that they were mandatory. Just another tool to use when appropriate. Also, as already mentioned, they can be just as informative when using a bare bar as when pushing weight.