Chest/Shoulders/Back

RAZORBACK09

Awards
  • Established
I'm making a new routine for the first time in months, and trying totally new stuff to build up some more size.

Currently, I don't know when I should do my shoulders,back, and chest.

My lay-out is a 4 day a week system..

Working chest, back, shoulders, legs and arms.

So far I had working both bis/tris in the same day but I could mix it up.

Also which exercises do you recommend the most for chest/shoulders/back? I've been doing core workout (squat, bench, deadlift, etc) for the last few months so i'm out of the loop.

Help please.

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
For four days, I would try something different. Most studies have concluded that a lower volume & higher frequency program generally gives a better response to people.

I would go for this if you're open to new ideas.

Emphasis/Maintenance Split

Monday- Vertical Plane Emphasis/Horizontal Plane Maintenance
Tuesday- Quadriceps Emphasis/Posterior Chain Maintenance
Thursday-Horizontal Plane Maintenance/Vertical Plane Emphasis
Friday- Posterior Chain Emphasis/Quadriceps Maintenance

Essentially, your program would look like this.

Monday-
Overhead Press
Pullup
Bench Press
Bent Over BB Row

Tuesday-
Front Squat
Deadlift
GH Raise
Core Work

Thursday-
Bench Press
BB Row
Overhead Press
Chinups

Friday-
Squat
Power Clean
Lunges
Core Work

There you go. :)

RAZORBACK09

Awards
  • Established
That's pretty much what my last workout looked like. I want to switch it up with what I have stated in my first response.

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
That's pretty much what my last workout looked like. I want to switch it up with what I have stated in my first response.
You wouldn't want to work three muscles per day on a four day split; that will lead to some muscles getting overworked and some underworked and therefore promoting imbalance.

Upper/Lower splits are ideal for four day training routines, but if you insist on doing a high volume/low frequency split this should do good.

Workout 1- Chest & Biceps
Bench Press, Incline Press, Weighted Dips, Barbell Curls
Workout 2- Legs & Abs
Squat, SLDL, Calf Raise, Planks
Workout 3- Back & Triceps
Pullup, Barbell Row, Deadlift, Close grip bench press
Workout 4- Shoulders and Abs
Shoulder Press, BO Lateral Raise, Planks, Poor Mans Shoulder Horn

RAZORBACK09

Awards
  • Established
The above sounds good. I may add a few things in that would work better for me, but all and all I like the idea.

How come less things say 2 things for bis instead of 3-4 is better? I've never understood that.

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
The above sounds good. I may add a few things in that would work better for me, but all and all I like the idea.

How come less things say 2 things for bis instead of 3-4 is better? I've never understood that.
Because it is better to have minimal movements and focus on adding weight to those movements each session than do the same movements each week with little increase of workload.

The more movements you have for a muscle group, the slower the progress will be on each of those movements.

Think of progressive resistance training. Each session you are supposed to make the muscles work harder and the best way to accomplish this is through adding weight, is it easier to keep 3 movements progressing or 1?

Next thing is, the only people that should have various difference exercises for muscle groups are the ones that cannot cause overload to muscles through resistance and therefore, they are required to hit the muscle with multiple exercises as a method of overload.

RAZORBACK09

Awards
  • Established
Would 3 different exercises for each muscle group be ok?

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
Would 3 different exercises for each muscle group be ok?
It depends on the muscle group.

If you're asking about biceps they're getting three exercises already. Pullups, barbell rows and curls are three exercises that focus on bicep development.

Pullups and rows might be back focused exercises, but what movement occurs also? Arm flexion. What movement occurs during a curl? Arm flexion; it is essentially the same movement with recruitment from other muscle groups.

If you want big arms get your row up to 225, increase your pullup total up to about 15-25 reps pet set, and close grip bench press 185 for reps.

Your row and pullup will progress much longer than your curls anyway. Your curls stall much faster and that's it; no more increase.

walker11

Awards
get on the powerlifting section and check out the Westside trainging method. you hit each body part twice a week, one heavy day and one dynamic day. you can substitute the max out movements for a heavy 3-5 reps since you're going more for size than power. and just like the program kink0ng mentioned (which looks good), you only do 1-2 movements per muscle group, but those 1-2 movements blast your muscles so hard that you won't want to do a third. you can also check out Ed Coan's off season training program and use his bench routine on the westide heavy days, and his squat/deadlift for the heavy days; that's what i do when i'm off season and i usualy put on a few pounds in the 10-12 weeks the program runs.

RAZORBACK09

Awards
  • Established
I'm pretty much following king's program, adjusted some due to shoulder problems but now its good.

Started it today, it's weird not having that "pump" from doing more exercises.

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
I'm pretty much following king's program, adjusted some due to shoulder problems but now its good.
What shoulder problems?

I have studied a lot on the rotator cuff and shoulder imbalance if you want to ask questions on it.

RAZORBACK09

Awards
  • Established
Accident in 2004, never recovered. It's more in my back

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
Accident in 2004, never recovered. It's more in my back
Oh. I thought you meant a shoulder impingement or imbalance.

Westside is a good program too, whichever one you choose.

Jake Fires

Jake Fires

Awards
  • Established
For four days, I would try something different. Most studies have concluded that a lower volume & higher frequency program generally gives a better response to people.

I would go for this if you're open to new ideas.

Emphasis/Maintenance Split

Monday- Vertical Plane Emphasis/Horizontal Plane Maintenance
Tuesday- Quadriceps Emphasis/Posterior Chain Maintenance
Thursday-Horizontal Plane Maintenance/Vertical Plane Emphasis
Friday- Posterior Chain Emphasis/Quadriceps Maintenance

Essentially, your program would look like this.

Monday-
Overhead Press
Pullup
Bench Press
Bent Over BB Row

Tuesday-
Front Squat
Deadlift
GH Raise
Core Work

Thursday-
Bench Press
BB Row
Overhead Press
Chinups

Friday-
Squat
Power Clean
Lunges
Core Work

There you go. :)

srry to notice but you didnt give him no tricep or bicep workouts.

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
srry to notice but you didnt give him no tricep or bicep workouts.
You don't need to directly stimulate the arms for growth assurance.

Biceps and triceps are sufficiently stimulated through bench presses, overhead presses, bent over rows and chinups.

And if you read the rest of the thread you will see I designed him a different program, as he was coming off the first one I recommended.

Narciso

Awards
I started using the said second workout routine and loving it. Good stuff.