Lats, tris

MrBrightside

MrBrightside

Awards
  • Established
I blast the hell out of these and their sizes remain the same. My strength is going up even through a cut with triceps (which I'm pretty happy about) but I've never been able to do a routine where I've felt that I could gain size with them...through bulks they stay the same. Same goes for lats, really...same strength progression and everything, but the V refuses to develop. I could use a little help in these areas, any advice is much appreciated.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
for tri's the routine that i think has helped the most is :

close grip bench
dips
reverse grip tricep pushdowns. i just subbed these out for reverse grip bench dips - fingers pointed away from the body, and its treating me well.

bubbachew

Awards
  • Established
the only thing I would add to suncloud's lifts are decline barbell skull crushers...i absolutely love those, and it pounds the hell out of my triceps...just be careful of over training the triceps because they get hit in most pressing movement...that could be another reason they're not growing like you want

as for lats...i find those to be the hardest muscle to develop...t-bar rows and chins have worked the best for me

raginfcktard

raginfcktard

Awards
  • Established
you always give great advice here bright and i don't wanna tell simple things you already know but i'll add my 2 cents...

do a lite tri workout on chest day and lite bi's on back day. crush'em with supersets on your last day of the week since they should be nice a fatigued! i only get a good arm workout like that...maybe just me?

lats is a tuffy! i know you already use strict (or i assume from your posts) form. i personally use a different grip week but all wide. scapular stretches between each set. all rows and variations of rows are done with form that stretches the lats at the bottom of the movement. this does become painful but just for a minute :D

MrBrightside

MrBrightside

Awards
  • Established
I look like a little schoolgirl with my crusher/cg bench weights...different heads of the muscle I guess than the traditional pullover/overhead. Thanks for the help though, reps.

bubbachew

Awards
  • Established
I look like a little schoolgirl with my crusher/cg bench weights...different heads of the muscle I guess than the traditional pullover/overhead. Thanks for the help though, reps.
Don't get discouraged if you can't push a lot of weight with those lifts...you'll get there... Just keep pounding at it.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
it takes time man, but you'll get there. if it were easy, you wouldn't appreciate getting huge :)

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
For lats other than what has been mentioned the only thing I could add is def wide grip pull-ups with focus and emphasis on making your back start, pull you through, and finish the movement, trying to use as little secondary muscles. And go heavy, make sure you using weights.

Best of luck with your hard work.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
On the close-grip, restrict the ROM to the top half of the motion (stop when your elbow/forearm makes a 90 degree angle). This keeps almost all of the tension on the triceps. One trick is to do these in a power rack while you're on the floor.

MrBrightside

MrBrightside

Awards
  • Established
I'm pretty excited to do lats tomorrow. Woke up today and came across this article on bb.com...not sure if it's legit. The workout program that it heavily parallels is the "delt triad" article found on t-nation in which you complete 3 form-intensive movements hitting different heads of the muscle rapidly with low weights (hypertrophy-aimed). I'm not sure if this "giant set" they speak of would translate to the lats, but it sounds reasonable, hence my intrigue. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/criticalbench14.htm

jdg487

jdg487

Awards
  • Established
One thing that I think has helped me w/ my lats is to just hold myself on a wide grip pull up bar w/ as much weight on me as I can for as long as I can. If you do it your lats will burn like no other and you can also feel it in your forearms.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ya i would try some supersets/giant sets with it. Hitting the lats like that can help get a real nice pump that allows for some great MMC allowing you to hit great weight and make sure you are hitting the lats hard.

Maybe hit some Rack Chins...these have really helped me get a great feel for working my lats and helped me improve them as they are rather hard for me to build..