new to powerlifting

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Originally posted by Sanosuke
    has anyone tried that Max-OT program? it looks more geared towards mass than strength though..
    Ya, it is.

2. ive been doing the 3x3 for about 2 weeks now..  its not so bad.. wat i was wondering is would adding military press to the routine be a good idea? or should i just stick to the big 3 and thats it...
    •   

3. Try it how its written the first time. Its worked great for anyone Ive talked to for deadlift and squat. Not always for bench tho so you could maybe add in lockouts or somehting for it if you feel like it. I would try it how its written first then if u wanna try it again you can modify it abit and add in some stuff.

4. Originally posted by Sanosuke
    ive been doing the 3x3 for about 2 weeks now..  its not so bad.. wat i was wondering is would adding military press to the routine be a good idea? or should i just stick to the big 3 and thats it...
    Not really, if you want to add in any assistance stuff, keep it to the lighter movements. So for shouldders that would be front, side or rear raises, instead of the heavier stuff like military presses. For tris, stuff like extensions. Lats you could work somewhat heavy movements on one day for a few sets. Only do extra work for a body part on one day per week if you are going to add them, and don't overdue it. You're getting plenty of work from the 3x3, but I know people like me lose some tricep size if they don't add in a little.

5. ok i got a new problem.. well for awhile now im going to be on 12 hour shifts at work.. incase you guys wanted to know im a aircraft mechanic the the US Air Force... well anyway with everything going on im forced to work 12's now... my days off are sunday and monday.. well Ive been doing the 3x3 3 times a week but now that im working so many hours im just so exhausted by the end of the day.. I cant work out i would take a eca but then i wouldnt be able to fall asleep.. now i figure there are 2 days i can workout.. saturday late at night(since i dont have to get up early the next morning) then moday.. so i have a days rest.. anway would doing the 3x3 just those 2 days give ok results? or is there another routine i can do.. any feedback would help.. thanks

6. Id say drop 3x3 then. Then work bench on one day off, and squat/deadlift on the other. Alot of the same muscles are used in squat and deadlift so work them together. Like westside but youd have to set something up so its only one day instead of two (ME and DE). If you were to do this you could work the squat (on the squat/deadlift day) for two weeks, then work the deadlift for two weeks. Liek alot of the same muscles are used so the assistance would be alot alike but the main movement of that workout would just change back and forth every two weeks. And lift heavy in these two workouts and youll probly still see gains.

7. since its only 2 times a week what assisstance exercises would you suggest?

8. for bench you could do something like this:
    bench press
    some press for triceps (close grip, jm press, etc)
    some triceps extension
    shoulder work (front raises, side laterals, military press...)

For squat/deadlift:
    powerclean
    do squat or deadlift
    g/h raise
    SLDL
    i donno really.

For bench, I think what i posted above would work. For squat and deadlift tho, im not really sure. I just posted what i think might be alright. Wait till Pler replies, he'll have a better idea then me.

Similar Forum Threads

1. New to powerlifting
    By turtlefrog in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-15-2011, 01:00 AM
  2. new to powerlifting
    By R1balla in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-28-2010, 01:27 PM
  3. New to powerlifting
    By Spectre32 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 4