Sleep...

  1. New Member
    RavensFan2k3's Avatar
    Stats
    6'5"  242 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    152
    Rep Power
    147
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    86.28%

    Sleep...


    I was wondering how important is sleep. I sometimes get to bed to real late, especially friday nights. This past friday, I had a great workout, but I went out that night. I didnt get to bed till like 6am. But I also slept on and off till about 4pm. All in all it was about 8 hours, on and off. Does it matter WHEN I go to sleep, aslong as I am getting 6-8 hours of sleep?

  2. purebred
    Guest
    purebred's Avatar

    pure speculation and hear say on my end but i've always heard sleep at night time is of much better quality.

    Example:
    getting 8.5 hours of sleep

    1st scenario:
    11pm - 7:30am
    2nd scenario: 6am - 2:30pm

    you're getting the same amount of sleep in both but if the theory i provided above is actually a fact (and i just don't know it), the first scenario would be more desirable and productive. either way i've always wanted to know this, too!
  3. New Member
    jtp217's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  223 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    190
    Rep Power
    194
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    79.59%

    One thing you have to factor in is the amount of REM sleep you achieve. If the sleep is uninterrupted for the most part you should be in REM long enough to actually recover. If you are just sleeping an hour or two then waking up for a bit and going back to bed then you probably won't get the amount you need and you won't recover like you need to.
    •   
       

  4. New Member
    RavensFan2k3's Avatar
    Stats
    6'5"  242 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    152
    Rep Power
    147
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    86.28%

    Quote Originally Posted by purebred View Post
    pure speculation and hear say on my end but i've always heard sleep at night time is of much better quality.

    Example:
    getting 8.5 hours of sleep

    1st scenario:
    11pm - 7:30am
    2nd scenario: 6am - 2:30pm

    you're getting the same amount of sleep in both but if the theory i provided above is actually a fact (and i just don't know it), the first scenario would be more desirable and productive. either way i've always wanted to know this, too!
    Yeah thats true. I think it has something to do with at night time is when cortisol levels are low and growth hormone is released.

    Quote Originally Posted by jtp217 View Post
    One thing you have to factor in is the amount of REM sleep you achieve. If the sleep is uninterrupted for the most part you should be in REM long enough to actually recover. If you are just sleeping an hour or two then waking up for a bit and going back to bed then you probably won't get the amount you need and you won't recover like you need to.
    True...I assume it was REM sleep because I had dreams.
  5. New Member
    AllMaxBrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    232
    Rep Power
    188
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    90.24%

    Quote Originally Posted by RavensFan2k3 View Post
    I was wondering how important is sleep. I sometimes get to bed to real late, especially friday nights. This past friday, I had a great workout, but I went out that night. I didnt get to bed till like 6am. But I also slept on and off till about 4pm. All in all it was about 8 hours, on and off. Does it matter WHEN I go to sleep, aslong as I am getting 6-8 hours of sleep?
    In the long run, quality is going to have a bigger effect than the time - deep, REM sleep is the best for refreshing your mind, although growth hormone is released in stages three and four, which are not REM sleep - this is the "delta sleep" period.
  6. New Member
    RavensFan2k3's Avatar
    Stats
    6'5"  242 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    152
    Rep Power
    147
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    86.28%

    Quote Originally Posted by AllMaxBrian View Post
    In the long run, quality is going to have a bigger effect than the time - deep, REM sleep is the best for refreshing your mind, although growth hormone is released in stages three and four, which are not REM sleep - this is the "delta sleep" period.
    Which stage is the one where you have dreams?

    So the quality(and amount) of sleep is more important that the time of day that one sleeps, correct? And I'm talking in terms of testosterone production, muscle recovery, repair, and growth.
  7. Advanced Member
    slacker86's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    838
    Rep Power
    491
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    67.46%

    Quote Originally Posted by RavensFan2k3 View Post
    Which stage is the one where you have dreams?

    So the quality(and amount) of sleep is more important that the time of day that one sleeps, correct? And I'm talking in terms of testosterone production, muscle recovery, repair, and growth.
    I dont necessarily think that the time of day u goto sleep is as important as how much sleep you get. Rest is obviously needed for recovery and the more full cycles of sleep you get (was 3 hours for 1 cycle last time i read about it) the better. So ideally 9 hours if you can but 8 hours should suffice. I do however slightly disagree that what time of day u goto bed. For example you wake up at 8am workout go thru ur day and goto bed at 6am... I think it would probably be a little taxing on your body, however i dont have any research or proof of this its just my general feeling about the human body.
  8. New Member
    RavensFan2k3's Avatar
    Stats
    6'5"  242 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    152
    Rep Power
    147
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    86.28%

    Quote Originally Posted by slacker86 View Post
    I dont necessarily think that the time of day u goto sleep is as important as how much sleep you get. Rest is obviously needed for recovery and the more full cycles of sleep you get (was 3 hours for 1 cycle last time i read about it) the better. So ideally 9 hours if you can but 8 hours should suffice. I do however slightly disagree that what time of day u goto bed. For example you wake up at 8am workout go thru ur day and goto bed at 6am... I think it would probably be a little taxing on your body, however i dont have any research or proof of this its just my general feeling about the human body.
    I mean it was just that one day because I ended up going out that night. It's a not on a regular basis. I went to sleep around 6am, but didnt even up getting outta bed till around 4pm.
  9. New Member
    AllMaxBrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    232
    Rep Power
    188
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    90.24%

    Quote Originally Posted by RavensFan2k3 View Post
    I mean it was just that one day because I ended up going out that night. It's a not on a regular basis. I went to sleep around 6am, but didnt even up getting outta bed till around 4pm.
    Overall, I wouldn't sweat it that much if you're not making a habit of it and you're getting an adequate number of hours when you do. One day of compromised GH secretion isn't going to kill you. Plus, your T-levels will be elevated after working out anyway.
  10. New Member
    BignBad's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  160 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    64
    Rep Power
    103
    Level
    7
    Lv. Percent
    25.48%

    Quote Originally Posted by RavensFan2k3 View Post
    Which stage is the one where you have dreams?

    So the quality(and amount) of sleep is more important that the time of day that one sleeps, correct? And I'm talking in terms of testosterone production, muscle recovery, repair, and growth.
    Testosterone and GH are correlated to the time your in bed. If you don't get enough sleep, your body starts "stressing" and secreting extra cortisol which is catabolic. I would guess that your night gave you several hours of extra cortisol.
  11. New Member
    BignBad's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  160 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    64
    Rep Power
    103
    Level
    7
    Lv. Percent
    25.48%

    Vitamin C (> 1.5g/day) will lower cortisol levels. So you might do that the next day. However, you MUST have the Vit C with no fat on the stomach.
  12. New Member
    RavensFan2k3's Avatar
    Stats
    6'5"  242 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    152
    Rep Power
    147
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    86.28%

    One problem I have is I can never sleep for along time without waking up. I'm always either waking up in the middle night or if not that, I wake up really early. I be wanting to sleep for a long time but I cant because my body always just wakes up...it's so annoying.
  13. purebred
    Guest
    purebred's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by RavensFan2k3 View Post
    One problem I have is I can never sleep for along time without waking up. I'm always either waking up in the middle night or if not that, I wake up really early. I be wanting to sleep for a long time but I cant because my body always just wakes up...it's so annoying.
    happens to me as well but i don't believe it's significantly affecting me in any way negatively as I'll tend to get up once throughout the night to go to the bathroom. that's about it though!
  14. New Member
    RavensFan2k3's Avatar
    Stats
    6'5"  242 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    152
    Rep Power
    147
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    86.28%

    Another thing...say one doesnt get enough sleep the night after a workout(ie. I worked out wednesday and didnt get any sleep wednesday night), was that workout a complete waste?
  15. Diamond Member
    John Smeton's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Age
    33
    Posts
    10,014
    Rep Power
    33560
    Level
    62
    Lv. Percent
    82.03%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by purebred View Post
    pure speculation and hear say on my end but i've always heard sleep at night time is of much better quality.

    Example:
    getting 8.5 hours of sleep

    1st scenario:
    11pm - 7:30am
    2nd scenario: 6am - 2:30pm

    you're getting the same amount of sleep in both but if the theory i provided above is actually a fact (and i just don't know it), the first scenario would be more desirable and productive. either way i've always wanted to know this, too!
    there was a thread on this a few years back. Im not digging it up because Im too lazy. I think someone posted a study on why nighttime sleep is much better for you. i remember it simply dont remember all of it.

    Quote Originally Posted by RavensFan2k3 View Post
    I was wondering how important is sleep. I sometimes get to bed to real late, especially friday nights. This past friday, I had a great workout, but I went out that night. I didnt get to bed till like 6am. But I also slept on and off till about 4pm. All in all it was about 8 hours, on and off. Does it matter WHEN I go to sleep, aslong as I am getting 6-8 hours of sleep?
    yes stay on your sleep cycle.

    Quote Originally Posted by jtp217 View Post
    One thing you have to factor in is the amount of REM sleep you achieve. If the sleep is uninterrupted for the most part you should be in REM long enough to actually recover. If you are just sleeping an hour or two then waking up for a bit and going back to bed then you probably won't get the amount you need and you won't recover like you need to.
    agreed you want deep uninterupted sleep every night if you dont get a certain amount every night the next day is effected someway or another.

    Quote Originally Posted by AllMaxBrian View Post
    In the long run, quality is going to have a bigger effect than the time - deep, REM sleep is the best for refreshing your mind, although growth hormone is released in stages three and four, which are not REM sleep - this is the "delta sleep" period.
    nice.

    Quote Originally Posted by BignBad View Post
    Vitamin C (> 1.5g/day) will lower cortisol levels. So you might do that the next day. However, you MUST have the Vit C with no fat on the stomach.
    nice.

    Quote Originally Posted by purebred View Post
    happens to me as well but i don't believe it's significantly affecting me in any way negatively as I'll tend to get up once throughout the night to go to the bathroom. that's about it though!
    yeah I got up last night and dont even remember what i did when i got up untill I see a box of crackers by my bed.

    Quote Originally Posted by RavensFan2k3 View Post
    Another thing...say one doesnt get enough sleep the night after a workout(ie. I worked out wednesday and didnt get any sleep wednesday night), was that workout a complete waste?
    depends on how good your sleep is..
    not optimal sleep=not as optimal recovery
    terrific sleep=terrific recovery..
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness
  16. New Member
    RavensFan2k3's Avatar
    Stats
    6'5"  242 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    152
    Rep Power
    147
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    86.28%

    Quote Originally Posted by smeton_yea View Post


    depends on how good your sleep is..
    not optimal sleep=not as optimal recovery
    terrific sleep=terrific recovery..
    I'm talking a couple hours at the most or no sleep at all.
  17. New Member
    cmc's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  193 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    237
    Rep Power
    196
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    17.35%

    Sleep is a very important part of the equation. The proper balance of diet/exercise and sleep make up the equation. Every one boasts about exercises, often the same with nutrition and supplements, but sleep may just be the most important part because thats where all of the growth happens.
  18. Diamond Member
    John Smeton's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Age
    33
    Posts
    10,014
    Rep Power
    33560
    Level
    62
    Lv. Percent
    82.03%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    I agree training has to be 100 %, nutrition 100 %, sleep 100 % each one is equally important.



    heres a video ..the normal person needs a good 7-8. A hard training bodybuilder or an athelete has greater needs in my opinion. more like 8-10. depending on how good your recovery is. a person on super supplements might can get away with 7-8 hours because there recovery is enhanced. Thats still not a reason to skip sleep.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2M6GhNDeHiI&feature=ch annel"]YouTube - The Stages of Sleep (Health Guru)[/ame]
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness
  19. New Member
    Sinon's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  173 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    27
    Posts
    216
    Rep Power
    181
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    69.02%

    How does your body know if its night or not? If ur set on a different scedule, your horomones would be released when u normally go to bed right?

    Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.7; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920
  20. PESCIENCE.com
    nattydisaster's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  0 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    10,378
    Rep Power
    3916500
    Level
    85
    Lv. Percent
    46.32%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    IBE X-dream = amazing sleep. I never wake up at night with it, and wake up feeling like a million bucks.
    Amino-IV - Not Your Average Amino
    SELECT Protein
    - Ultra-Premium Blend
    ALPHAMINE - Thermogenics...Redefined
  21. New Member
    RavensFan2k3's Avatar
    Stats
    6'5"  242 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    152
    Rep Power
    147
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    86.28%

    Quote Originally Posted by cmc View Post
    Sleep is a very important part of the equation. The proper balance of diet/exercise and sleep make up the equation. Every one boasts about exercises, often the same with nutrition and supplements, but sleep may just be the most important part because thats where all of the growth happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by smeton_yea View Post
    I agree training has to be 100 %, nutrition 100 %, sleep 100 % each one is equally important.



    heres a video ..the normal person needs a good 7-8. A hard training bodybuilder or an athelete has greater needs in my opinion. more like 8-10. depending on how good your recovery is. a person on super supplements might can get away with 7-8 hours because there recovery is enhanced. Thats still not a reason to skip sleep.
    I understand the importance of sleep. All I'm asking say you workout...and that night you dont get very much sleep(for whatever reason)...was that workout a waste? Did I not gain any muscle from that workout?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sinon View Post
    How does your body know if its night or not? If ur set on a different scedule, your horomones would be released when u normally go to bed right?

    Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.7; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920
    Thats another good question...
  22. Diamond Member
    John Smeton's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Age
    33
    Posts
    10,014
    Rep Power
    33560
    Level
    62
    Lv. Percent
    82.03%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by RavensFan2k3 View Post
    I understand the importance of sleep. All I'm asking say you workout...and that night you dont get very much sleep(for whatever reason)...was that workout a waste? Did I not gain any muscle from that workout?

    .
    I tried and explained it the best I could. Of course the muscles repair also depend son adequate protein and nutrition.

    In short the deeper, peaceful, longer sleep you get without waking up(or being woke up by noises) cycling though each stage of sleep, the better. every time you wake up it disrupts the stage your sleep cycles in.
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness
  23. New Member
    snyper2k2's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  246 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Age
    28
    Posts
    179
    Rep Power
    171
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    16.78%

    when you sleep even if its for 2 or 3 hrs. if when you wake up you feel like you slept longer than you did then it was good sleep

    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.1; en-us; dream) AppleWebKit/525.10+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0.4 Mobile Safari/523.12.2
  24. Diamond Member
    John Smeton's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Age
    33
    Posts
    10,014
    Rep Power
    33560
    Level
    62
    Lv. Percent
    82.03%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by snyper2k2 View Post
    when you sleep even if its for 2 or 3 hrs. if when you wake up you feel like you slept longer than you did then it was good sleep

    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.1; en-us; dream) AppleWebKit/525.10+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0.4 Mobile Safari/523.12.2
    this article says it all as far as sleep and testostrone

    http://www.musculardevelopment.com/c.../view/1484/51/
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness
  25. New Member
    jtp217's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  223 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    190
    Rep Power
    194
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    79.59%

    Quote Originally Posted by Sinon View Post
    How does your body know if its night or not? If ur set on a different scedule, your horomones would be released when u normally go to bed right?

    Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.7; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920
    It doesn't. It knows awake and asleep. That's all it needs. I have a very weird schedule due to working a couple 7p-7a night shifts each week and having 3 classes on Tuesday and Thursday. As long as I can get 6-7 hours of sleep, I'm golden.
  26. Banned
    H8duke's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Age
    49
    Posts
    384
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    32.67%

    Sleep and proper nutrition are the cornerstones for a muscle building.My sleep habits suck an always have.I can honestly say w/out any hesitation,that if I had better sleep habits,I would be bigger than I am.NO doubt. I've even tried prescription sleep aids,but to no avail.STRESS is a MOFO!
  27. New Member
    Cinn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Age
    30
    Posts
    184
    Rep Power
    456
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    71.85%

    Quote Originally Posted by jtp217 View Post
    It doesn't. It knows awake and asleep. That's all it needs. I have a very weird schedule due to working a couple 7p-7a night shifts each week and having 3 classes on Tuesday and Thursday. As long as I can get 6-7 hours of sleep, I'm golden.

    Actually, it does. Day and night(or more specifically, light and dark) play a huge role. Read up on the suprachiasmatic nucleus.

    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US) AppleWebKit/525.19 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/1.0.154.53 Safari/525.19
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. **** Need 2 Sleep No Really I Need to Sleep!! Tha Log
    By mich29 in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 101
    Last Post: 01-29-2012, 03:07 PM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-18-2010, 04:25 PM
  3. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 08-16-2010, 05:17 PM
  4. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-09-2009, 01:40 AM
  5. Sleep: Can you do it too much?
    By ozarkaBRAND in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-10-2008, 12:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in