Calves... Lets get these things huge! - AnabolicMinds.com

Calves... Lets get these things huge!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  220 lbs.

Calves... Lets get these things huge!

Alright guys my upper body quads and hams are coming along nicely BUT (big BUT) my calfs are LACKING. Now I know alot of guys my age just care about upper body but im not one of them! I want some huge CALVES!... What do you find is the best way to train them... set numbers rep numbers frequency? any ideas?!

2. New Member

I like to train my calves heavy with the standing calf raise machine - I'll pound out 10-12 reps until failure, and then drop the resistance 40 pounds or so and go at it again until failure.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

I think calves training involves a lot of trail and error. My calves are a weak point too. I do think that heavy weight is really important for calve training. I mean, even just one of your calves can comfortably support your own weight, so in the gym I think you really need to pound them.

I also think a combination of full range of motion and partial reps are important. With partial reps, you can do a weight heavy enough that you couldn't really do full range. I also like stripping with calves; doing as much as you can with a certain weight, then dropping the weight, doing a few more reps, and so on until your calves are burning like crazy!

Brutal, heavy training + adequate rest periods between training sessions + time + bulk diet = big calves? You have to factor in genetics too. But I think almost everyone can develop their calves to be a somehwat bigger than they already are.
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.

I experienced my best calf growth using DC style...10+ second full stretch at the bottom, explosive contraction, and 10 second negative...each rep...sets of 20 if I remember correctly...
  5. New Member

I agree, stretching and focusing on the negatives goes a long way with any muscle - I try to incorporate fascia stretching as much as possible.
  6. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCo4Fun View Post
    I experienced my best calf growth using DC style...10+ second full stretch at the bottom, explosive contraction, and 10 second negative...each rep...sets of 20 if I remember correctly...
    That sounds brutal... good ideas people.
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  170 lbs.

i've read this great advice on calves --> high reps with limited rest in bet sets.

why? muscle fibers of the calves are different from other parts of the body and need different stimulation. for most, going heavy with low reps don't do much for calves.

so i used to do 6 sets, 12 reps per set. two sets with toes straight, two sets with toes out, two sets w/ toes in.

after a few months, progress stopped. i increased weight, reduced reps, didn't help.

so i took the "high reps, little rest in between sets" advice.

i reduced the weight, tried for 20 reps per set, going up to 6 sets, with 30 sec between sets.

result: my calves have never been this sore and growth has been noticeable. my calves get so sore that i limp for days after this work out.

keep in mind, i'm genetically blessed with calves. however, this "high rep, little rest bet sets" has worked great.
  8. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  179 lbs.

I second the high rep lower weight scheme for building my calves. Me and a lifting buddy would go in and do something like 20 half reps from fully extended (down) to neutral position then rest 30 seconds, 20 reps from neutral position to fully contracted (all the way up) then rest 30 seconds, then 20 full range reps. did 3 sets of this and was limping for a couple days afterwards everytime. We called it 'crazy calves'. saw some pretty good growth, but hated not being able to walk normal.
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  155 lbs.

Ok- here is my recipe for large calves- I have a buddy who has had trouble getting size on his for a long time.

1-weight that you have to mentally push yourself for 5-7 extra reps to make 20 because it burns too bad

2-Stretch for a solid 20 seconds immediately after the set

3- do this for 3 or 6 sets with 20 seconds rest after each stretch, making sure the change toe angles from pointed out, center and pointed in.

4- same procedure for standing or sitting, but alternate each week which one you do as they work different muscles in the calves.
  10. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

I have found that using the arc machine on a very high resistance tends to work them pretty well.
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

So I guess there are numerous ways to train the calves. Seems like the general consensus is heavy and intense. Makes sense, since the calves are capable of quite a bit without actually over exertion. Usually just one of your calves can easily support your own bodyweight, so it would make sense that if you were wanting to overload them you'd have to subject them to very heavy workloads. I also agree with short rest times. If I'm ever working out with someone else, we usually do our sets right after one another.
  12. Banned
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

my calves got larger the more I ran, and doing tons of leg presses on a machine with upwards of 8 plates or so on each side they are also nicely cut.
  13. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.

I like this high rep suggestion, I might put this to use very soon...
  14. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.

keep in mind that every step you take walking is equivilent to 1 1/2 your body weight, so heavy calf work seems prudent.
  15. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

my calves have always been a lagging bodypart. once I got to 230 plus and walking on incline and on toes I noticed some at least decent calves and not twigs. I have also have semi long calves which helps look fuller.Seated Calve raises low reps
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness
  16. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.

Red face

i have always felt calves were like forearms. you either have them or you don. sure, work can be done but i think those real meaty ones are god given!
  17. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

lets see calf pics to see what you got.

I think there are some people with the twig calve gene and some that just dont work them right but have good potential. If you got the true twig calves gene (generally africanamericans over other races) then you are kinda sh1t outta luck imo.

If i havent done calves for a week (1 a week) then i will give them alot of reps and heavy weight. You can try this on seated calve machine (plate loaded) do some warmups and a lil stretching first. Put a weight on that you get just 20 good all the way down and good contraction on top then lower slowly reps. Now after you complete your 20 reps then stay there under the pads and with little rest go again and try to get 16-20 reps then short rest and repeat. The idea is you will only take short enough rests to get in really good reps, the reps should be declining. I go to about 80 reps total (never start counting over) and when im at 80 i usually only get about 4-6 reps. I go to 100 reps and sometimes ill add some weight on the way. Around 100 you want to be at like 1 or 2 reps even if that means putting more weight.

Now if i train more often during the week, like less volume but say 3x a week then i will just go really really heavy but make sure its not so heavy that you cant lower slowly and contract strong at the peak and hold. I will do that until i cant then i will just pound it out with the faster bouncy type reps that just burn you to further failure. Stretch afterwards really good and flex your calves often.
  18. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

heres mine from feb 1st at 225 lbs..[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PXqqGMKxEw"]YouTube - Feb 1st 2009 posing[/ame]

mine are 17 by no means small compared to my 29 inch legs there not proportional I don't think. They not bad they could work work though
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness
  19. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.

Best way is high volume, without a doubt.
  20. Banned
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by smeton_yea View Post
    heres mine from feb 1st at 225 lbs..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PXqqGMKxEw

mine are 17 by no means small compared to my 29 inch legs there not proportional I don't think. They not bad they could work work though
    yours are alot like mine, not entirely proportional but look fine.
  21. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.

yeah they look fine. mine are only like 18 1/2.
  22. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  187 lbs.

whats the go between seated and standing? whats better? I like to do both cause I recon they each target different sections of the calf... but... I do seated first and try ****ing myself up on that cause I was told by 1 person its better and hits a more crucial area of the muscle ??

any input on this?

thanks
  23. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"   lbs.

Start playing the drums with double kickers!!
  24. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by soseg View Post
    whats the go between seated and standing? whats better? I like to do both cause I recon they each target different sections of the calf... but... I do seated first and try ****ing myself up on that cause I was told by 1 person its better and hits a more crucial area of the muscle ??

any input on this?

thanks
    if your gonna do em, i think standing, cause then you add your body weight into the equation as well, imo.
  25. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by soseg View Post

any input on this?

thanks
    Do both, they work different parts of your calves. Standing work primarily the gastrocnemius, whereas seated works primarily the soleus. Also, try unilateral calve raises, i.e. standing one-legged calve raise.
  26. yea!!!!!
    Stats
    6'3"  249 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCo4Fun View Post
    yup,....DC really shocked my calves in terms on growth. Also I think the forced stretches play a BIG part too.

Also try anterior calf raises. Sit down on a bench,... put a 25lb plate on the ground, and another on one of your feet and use the opposite hand to "hold" the weight up as you do raises. The front of my calves are coming in with a nice "rounded" look b/c of these.

heres a guy doing them standing,.. I prefer sitting though:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxvJ6Uk0eOM"]YouTube - HITCH FIT.. Reverse Calves.. Micah LaCerte[/ame]
  27. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

i do those supersetted sometimes with my normal raises.
    remember to use variation from time to time too!
  28. Banned
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by brk_nemesis View Post
    yup,....DC really shocked my calves in terms on growth. Also I think the forced stretches play a BIG part too.

Also try anterior calf raises. Sit down on a bench,... put a 25lb plate on the ground, and another on one of your feet and use the opposite hand to "hold" the weight up as you do raises. The front of my calves are coming in with a nice "rounded" look b/c of these.

heres a guy doing them standing,.. I prefer sitting though:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxvJ6Uk0eOM

I did these with a 90lb dumbbell seated, I cramped up like a girl within 12 reps.
  29. yea!!!!!
    Stats
    6'3"  249 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by p00ndawg View Post
    I did these with a 90lb dumbbell seated, I cramped up like a girl within 12 reps.
    yup i started off heavy, 45lb plates then upward for DB's, till i found that lower weight and a 5-10 sec hold at top and bottom for 15-20 reps gave me alot better results.
  30. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  210 lbs.

Drop sets= calve money
    Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. -Rippetoe
  31. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  219.0 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by bkoguy07 View Post
    Alright guys my upper body quads and hams are coming along nicely BUT (big BUT) my calfs are LACKING. Now I know alot of guys my age just care about upper body but im not one of them! I want some huge CALVES!... What do you find is the best way to train them... set numbers rep numbers frequency? any ideas?!
    Something that is making a big difference for me is doing one high rep, heavy weight set. Instead of doing a traditional 3-4 sets of 8-15 reps. Start with the highest weight you would typically work up to and do it for as many reps as you can. Rest for a second and attempt as many more reps as you can get. This has helped me alot.

BEAST
  32. yea!!!!!
    Stats
    6'3"  249 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by thaOrleanyte View Post
    Drop sets= calve money
    yup that too,... except when you are finished with the drop sets,... do some forced stretches for about a minute, each leg. You'll be crying like a b!tch, lol.
  33. vadox6466

try using a triangular stance when doing calve raises..
  34. New Member

The key to calves is to work the soleus and the gast. Standing raises hit more of the soleus and the seated hit the gast. The best way to do both is a circuit of 25 reps and go from seated to standing to stretching and repeat for 4 sets. It is also very benificial to do reverse calve raises ie. dorsi flexion and planter flexion
  35. Elite Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

I do high reps, up to 50 reps per set.
  36. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeRows View Post
    I do high reps, up to 50 reps per set.
    50? Talk about doin' work. Highest I'll go is usually about 36, in three drop sets.
  37. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  193 lbs.

Stretching is key, also i training them twice a week... and i also do supersets with variations. like lift with my toes pointed out, rest 10-15 secs then my toes pointed straight, rest, then my toes pointed in (set1), and i will do 4 secs that tears them up... do this with sitted and standing toe raises
  38. UKStrength

I found a nice article on T-nation on lagging bodyparts, the calf routine is pretty nasty, twice a week training and I think it could turn those calves into cows!

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...aps_and_calves
  39. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  209 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilderbeast View Post
    Something that is making a big difference for me is doing one high rep, heavy weight set. Instead of doing a traditional 3-4 sets of 8-15 reps. Start with the highest weight you would typically work up to and do it for as many reps as you can. Rest for a second and attempt as many more reps as you can get. This has helped me alot.

BEAST
    This is my training method, i use a weight that i can only do 6 reps of, then i pause do another 2, pause do another 2, and keep going until i get to 75, after a few weeks i will increase the weight and do the same, great for donkey calf raises, ive had more improvement of this than any other method, in just a few months, being a sprinter i had small long calves, but they are starting to get a solid diamond shape now, they have gone from 15.4, to 16.9 in 3 months, remember my legs are 35inch inside leg so they are long, they look skinny now but they are thickening up.
    Gause institute member

Need2slin designer.Product designer/ **** admin.
  40. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  170 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by russianstar View Post
    This is my training method, i use a weight that i can only do 6 reps of, then i pause do another 2, pause do another 2, and keep going until i get to 75, after a few weeks i will increase the weight and do the same, great for donkey calf raises, ive had more improvement of this than any other method, in just a few months, being a sprinter i had small long calves, but they are starting to get a solid diamond shape now, they have gone from 15.4, to 16.9 in 3 months, remember my legs are 35inch inside leg so they are long, they look skinny now but they are thickening up.
    That sounds killer. How long does your 75 rep set take with the pauses? Like a 5-7 minute set, lol. I'm going to try this next week.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 77
    Last Post: 01-22-2009, 09:48 PM
  2. Replies: 46
    Last Post: 12-06-2007, 08:31 PM