Bicep curl

onimusha

Awards
Guys how to execute the right bicep curl? lock out at the buttom and top?

pavb10

pavb10

Awards
  • Established
id say 98 percent of people in the gym dont do bicep curls correctly. Always keep ure wrists back when doing curls to isolate the bicep. Always go down all the way til right before lockout and come to the top and "squeze the peak" With ure wrist back ull definitly feel the squeeze of ure peak. Most people come all the way to the top and go past the point where ure bicep is working. Go to almost lockout and then back up wrists back and go until u feel the squeze and back down. Never rest at the top. Also with db curls u can do a little twist out at the squeze to get even a little more pump.

onimusha

Awards
sorry what do u mean keep wrist back? and so u mean when u do curling up NO LOCK out?

pavb10

pavb10

Awards
  • Established
like never let ure wrist go parellel to ure forearm. Alot of people bend there wrist towards their bicep. Bend it always away towards tricep. When curling up u dont ever lock out. U get to where ure biceps are completly squeezed and go down. Bicep curls should be thought of as a push excercise and not a pulling one. Ure pushing out and up and squezing ure peak...

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
like never let ure wrist go parellel to ure forearm. Alot of people bend there wrist towards their bicep. Bend it always away towards tricep. When curling up u dont ever lock out. U get to where ure biceps are completly squeezed and go down. Bicep curls should be thought of as a push excercise and not a pulling one. Ure pushing out and up and squezing ure peak...

Wrist flexion would just stimulate forearm flexors / extensors.

pavb10

pavb10

Awards
  • Established
yeah if u flex ure wrist towards ure bicep. Im saying keep ure wrist back...do it right now with no weight...i just did...i feel a million times better squeeze in my bicep with my wrist back.

onimusha

Awards
ok bros tnx. so dont let th forearm touch your bicep head

onimusha

Awards
FOr shoulders whats the trick for shoulder press and laterals? any tips pls?

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
yeah if u flex ure wrist towards ure bicep. Im saying keep ure wrist back...do it right now with no weight...i just did...i feel a million times better squeeze in my bicep with my wrist back.
The axis of rotation for wrist flexion plays a minute role in elbow flexion. Varying the angles of rotation at the wrist will reduce torque slightly due to the reduction in the force arm; however, it does not invalidate a legitimate bicep curl.

pavb10

pavb10

Awards
  • Established
dude im telling ya from personal experience it does...I can probally do 40 pounds more if my wrists are forward then back...How does wrist felxion torsion explain that?? Keeping ure wrists back keeps ure form and keeps constant tension on ure bicep peak. Its like doing pec flys and not keeping ure shoulder blades tucked...

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
dude im telling ya from personal experience it does...I can probally do 40 pounds more if my wrists are forward then back...How does wrist felxion torsion explain that?? Keeping ure wrists back keeps ure form and keeps constant tension on ure bicep peak. Its like doing pec flys and not keeping ure shoulder blades tucked...
I didn't question whether elbow flexion is effected by varying degrees of wrist flexion. I even stated that it would, slightly. However, no matter the degree of wrist flexion the bicep brachii is generating muscle force and when the sum of all torques is greater than 0 you'll get counter clockwise elbow flexion. To sum this up, the degree of the wrist with respect to the forearm has nothing to do with the force that the bicep brachii is capable of generating. Personal experience or not, science proves this.

The only thing that 'keeping your wrists back' will do is reduce the barbell / dumbbell forcearm, which will reduce the torque. The reduction in torque will allow the biceps brachii to general less force for counter clockwise elbow flexion to occur. As you can tell, angular rotation of the wrist isn't much. So, this is why I say it will be effected 'slightly'.

pavb10

pavb10

Awards
  • Established
muscles dont work just like levers bro. Yeah wrist flexion can put a more constant strain on the bicep muscles. Often times by not doing it other muscles take over that arent the bicep

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
muscles dont work just like levers bro. Yeah wrist flexion can put a more constant strain on the bicep muscles. Often times by not doing it other muscles take over that arent the bicep
Nope Nope Nope. The musculoskeletal system works exactly like levers, and wrist flexion DOES NOT put more strain (strain is the change in length of an object). Read above, I don't like repeating myself. You really should take a biomechanics class before you talk about things which you know nothing about.

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
Guys how to execute the right bicep curl? lock out at the buttom and top?

You'll want to place your upper arms back (essentially bringing the barbell closer to your bodies center of gravity) do not lock out your elbows, just slightly flexed above that from the start. Then contract your bicep brachii and pull the barbell up to where your hands are parallel with your shoulders while keeping your upper arm segment stationary. The reason I say to keep you upper arms / elbows back is that when the weight is closer to the center of gravity you can generate more angular velocity.

onimusha

Awards
So no lock out at the buttom and top. i hope theres some video i can see.

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
Experiences you gain from the gym, such as what does and doesn't work for you or for others, can contradict what expert exercise physiologist come up with. Just saying...

onimusha

Awards
i think i overtrained my bicep, been doin 3x a week bicep... and 6 sets each exercise day...

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
Experiences you gain from the gym, such as what does and doesn't work for you or for others, can contradict what expert exercise physiologist come up with. Just saying...
Experience tells us that not everyone who smokes will die of disease or even that their life will be shortend and this can contradict what collective expert medical opinions come up with.

Your Bro Logic is flawed bro. Just saying...

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
Firstly, it's not exercise physiology, it's biomechanics. And Secondly, science will never be beat by some guy that has worked out in the gym for 5 years. As far as mechanics goes, it will always be the same if you're human.

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
So no lock out at the buttom and top. i hope theres some video i can see.
Just at the bottom, keep a slightly flex at the elbow join. As far as the top goes, once the forearm is above 90 degrees (parallel with the floor) the brachialis and brachioradialis take over in stabilization of the elbow join. So, you will be fine.

pavb10

pavb10

Awards
  • Established
it aint bro logic...im a kinesiology major. Im saying that all ure lever action stuff makes sense in theory, but not necessarlly in practice. I have no idea what ure talking about with angular velocity though and i dont know why velocity would ever play a role in a bicep curl. I say always keep ure elbows out in front of ure body...bicep curls should be thought of as a pushing motion and not so much as a pulling motion

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
it aint bro logic...im a kinesiology major. Im saying that all ure lever action stuff makes sense in theory, but not necessarlly in practice. I have no idea what ure talking about with angular velocity though and i dont know why velocity would ever play a role in a bicep curl. I say always keep ure elbows out in front of ure body...bicep curls should be thought of as a pushing motion and not so much as a pulling motion
You're joking right? If you're a kinesiology major, you should rethink paying attention in class then. Everything you just said is completely incorrect.

PS: biomechanics is not a theory

pavb10

pavb10

Awards
  • Established
u really gotta take the stuff out of the books and into context. Where have u apprenticed at? Ive learned about 90 percent of the stuff i learned in the classroom is quite useless outside of it. Ive apprenticed at a sports performance and rehabilatation place, minor league baseball facility and with a renound bodybuilding coach. I think if u said keeping ure elbows back was a good idea hed laugh at you. Do u also roll ure shoulder forward when u curl? Are ure knees tucked together and slightly bend? Theres so much u never learn in the clasroom

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
u really gotta take the stuff out of the books and into context. Where have u apprenticed at? Ive learned about 90 percent of the stuff i learned in the classroom is quite useless outside of it. Ive apprenticed at a sports performance and rehabilatation place, minor league baseball facility and with a renound bodybuilding coach. I think if u said keeping ure elbows back was a good idea hed laugh at you. Do u also roll ure shoulder forward when u curl? Are ure knees tucked together and slightly bend? Theres so much u never learn in the clasroom
I don't believe a thing that you've said, considering everything you have said is incorrect. Secondly, with your elbow tucked back 'slightly' parallel with torso and perpendicular to the floor you can generate a much greater angular velocity, which if you're a kinesiology major you'd know the role that angular kinetics and kinematics plays in exercise. Also, bicep curls ARE a pulling exercise, and not a pushing exercise (that would be triceps).

Thanks for playing though.

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
...bicep curls should be thought of as a pushing motion and not so much as a pulling motion
Just like the chest press...? So now I don't know if I should do Bis on back or chest day. I'm soooo confused!

pavb10

pavb10

Awards
  • Established
Dude im not trying to be a prick or anything....Im just saying it should be thought of as a pushing excercise and not a pulling one even though it is a pulling excercise. I really dont care if u belive what i say im just trying to help this person out. Not trying to prove my overall dominence in vocabulary or knowledge. Take ure knowledge to the feild and see how all that stuff works in a game or by actual results

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
So keeping your elbows out in front of your body changes a bicep curl from a pull to a push?

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
So keeping your elbows out in front of your body changes a bicep curl from a pull to a push?

hahahaha apparently, and over-head extensions are a pulling exercise :icon_lol:

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
Dude im not trying to be a prick or anything....Im just saying it should be thought of as a pushing excercise and not a pulling one even though it is a pulling excercise. I really dont care if u belive what i say im just trying to help this person out. Not trying to prove my overall dominence in vocabulary or knowledge. Take ure knowledge to the feild and see how all that stuff works in a game or by actual results
You do know that strength coaches for any sports teams are mostly exercise physiologists. So, you're saying your experience is more respected than a PhD in Exercise Physiology? Apparently so, because their knowledge must not work out on the field.

pavb10

pavb10

Awards
  • Established
first of all, coaches for sports team ussually dont even include biceps in a workout routine. Im saying take ure expereince to a gym or any bodybuilding magazine and take a look at their wrists...Or train with a legit bodybuilding coach. Thats all im saying bro before you go and draw up some smiley faces whacking each other or poke humor at it. The guy i worked with this summer was the strength coach for a minor league baseball team and he did have a doctorite in kinesology and I dont think he personally knew one thing about biceps nor did he include them in any lifts for any of his athletes.

pavb10

pavb10

Awards
  • Established
And biceps are useless on the feild anyways so that doesnt even make sense....just something for vanity. When u do curls does ure forearm ever touch any part of ure bicep?

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
And biceps are useless on the feild anyways so that doesnt even make sense....just something for vanity. When u do curls does ure forearm ever touch any part of ure bicep?

Please stop talking, you're digging yourself deeper into a hole. First, you really should learn how to spell. Secondly, the biceps brachii are used if everyday life, as well as on 'the field' they are an agonist, antagonist, and synergist for various mechanical movements. Obviously your 'bb coach' with a 'doctorite in kinesiology' didn't pay attention in class either. :thumbsup:

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
First it's "id say 98 percent of people in the gym dont do bicep curls correctly." Supported by "i feel a million times better squeeze in my bicep with my wrist back" and "muscles dont work just like levers bro."

Followed by "all ure lever action stuff makes sense in theory, but not necessarlly in practice" and "u really gotta take the stuff out of the books and into context."

Then when called out, you retort with "Where have u apprenticed at?" and "take ure knowledge to the feild and see how all that stuff works in a game or by actual results."

Then you attempt to recant on the original OPs question with "coaches for sports team ussually dont even include biceps in a workout routine" and "[my guy] did have a doctorite in kinesology and I dont think he personally knew one thing about biceps nor did he include them in any lifts for any of his athletes."

And finally, "And biceps are useless on the feild anyways so that doesnt even make sense....just something for vanity."

Dude, just stop. There is no argument to be made here.

pavb10

pavb10

Awards
  • Established
Alrite guys, u win. Its quite evident u dont get that enough and youve never played a college sport. But please get ure heads out of webster and start applying this stuff to actaul real life experience.... There was no arguement made..just a suggestion to keep ure wrist back to allow u to get a better squeze and contraction of your bicep...Thats it. You can think what you want about lifting and refer to books, but ill mail u my teams strength program and you can see.. Theres a lot of stuff you will never learn in the classroom and thats it thats the point.

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
Alrite guys, u win. Its quite evident u dont get that enough and youve never played a college sport. But please get ure heads out of webster and start applying this stuff to actaul real life experience.... There was no arguement made..just a suggestion to keep ure wrist back to allow u to get a better squeze and contraction of your bicep...Thats it. You can think what you want about lifting and refer to books, but ill mail u my teams strength program and you can see.. Theres a lot of stuff you will never learn in the classroom and thats it thats the point.
I lift as well, and everything I've learned applies. If what you say is true, then why does it require a masters / doctorate to be a strength coach and not just 'experience'. I'll tell you why. It keeps people like you from passing along incorrect knowledge.

pavb10

pavb10

Awards
  • Established
Ill take experience over being educated any day.

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
Ill take experience over being educated any day.
I can admit that it's probably the only thing you didn't fail at. Your experience means d*ck compared to decades of scientific research. I just hope you don't cause anyone to injure themselves listening to your ignorant advice. I'm done with you. Pick up a book, you might learn something.

pavb10

pavb10

Awards
  • Established
We could always make this a contest and run a log against each other or something if you want. Have some constructive critcism and such...

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
We could always make this a contest and run a log against each other or something if you want. Have some constructive critcism and such...
Everyone has different goals for lifting. It would be like comparing apples and oranges.

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
And even if we all had the same goals, in relation to the OPs question, this would prove...?

pavb10

pavb10

Awards
  • Established
i think u guys took it way far from the OP's question already......

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
i think u guys took it way far from the OP's question already......
If you were reading you would have noticed that while correcting you, I answered the OP's question.

MMAMONSTER19

Awards
  • Established
ok you guys need to stop arguing it was a suggestion not a demand leave it at that, for bicep curls start off low to make sure you get good form not swinging your body to make the weight go up not hunching or leaning forward or backward to get it that farther up, in all honesty if you have a heavy weight and you have to swing your body to get it up then just stop and rack it and drop some weight you have a greater risk of injuring yourself and straining your muscles it comes down to good form only and then with good form comes good strength with great results simple as that now thats my SUGGESTION good luck

pavb10

pavb10

Awards
  • Established
Good advice man, hopefully thats scientific enough for the OP. lol. Or maybe i missed something with my inability to read. lol. Good luck in not getting called out on ure "bro" advice. Good thread though....read decembers issue of muscle and fitness...theres a pretty sick four week bicep routine in there. Oh and did i mention thers many pictures with wrists bent back....uh oh jimmy nuetron...hit me with some physics.

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
ok you guys need to stop arguing it was a suggestion not a demand leave it at that, for bicep curls start off low to make sure you get good form not swinging your body to make the weight go up not hunching or leaning forward or backward to get it that farther up, in all honesty if you have a heavy weight and you have to swing your body to get it up then just stop and rack it and drop some weight you have a greater risk of injuring yourself and straining your muscles it comes down to good form only and then with good form comes good strength with great results simple as that now thats my SUGGESTION good luck
So since you've posted advice, let me ask you, why would leaning forward be a bad idea for a bicep curl...?

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
wrists back? wow i remember doin that, when i was like 16, inexperienced, with skinny arms wondering why they werent getting any better no matter how many times i worked them out.
The elbows stay back, in line with body and close to body, when doing any form of standing curl. All elbows in front of the body does its isolate the bicep more, restrictng weight, so at that point way not do precher curls, or bent over concentrations with DBs. And about the "wrist back".... idk what to say about that concept. Your wrists always stay straight, unless you are supinating, which is a rotation of the wrists and totally different. There are plenty of BB'ers out there that have advised "straight wrists" out of .........wait for it,.................."EXPERIENCE", Arnold being one of them. Nuff said.