Bicep curl

onimusha

Awards
guys i notice 1 thing, when i do curl, i press my traps down so when i curl the weight up my shoulder are not involve.. what do u think?

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
guys i notice 1 thing, when i do curl, i press my traps down so when i curl the weight up my shoulder are not involve.. what do u think?
Your shoulders won't be involved in elbow flexion if your proximal segment does not move.

MMAMONSTER19

Awards
  • Established
i meant leaning forward as ive seen guys sit and start curling and theyll start leaning their upper torso farther down towards where the position where ud start when ur doin a power clean, and then theyll will lean back swinging their arm up thats what i meant by it, its ok to have ur upper body a lil leaned forward that has no bad affect when it comes to curling thats all ur arm and elbow flex

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
i meant leaning forward as ive seen guys sit and start curling and theyll start leaning their upper torso farther down towards where the position where ud start when ur doin a power clean, and then theyll will lean back swinging their arm up thats what i meant by it, its ok to have ur upper body a lil leaned forward that has no bad affect when it comes to curling thats all ur arm and elbow flex
I'm not talking about the torso.

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
Your shoulders won't be involved in elbow flexion if your proximal segment does not move.
i think what he means is with a combination of leaning forward, shoulders forward, and elbows out away from body,( he didnt mention the latter).... greater momentum can be achieved to pull the weight up. Like in a clean, or upright row movement, especially when exhausted, the body can use this "momentum" to get in extra reps. The problem I see with this is instead of using a lil' body jerk as Arnold did in cheat curls, or to get those last few reps; i see guys everyday in the gym with terrible form, and too much weight, doing a hybrid power curl/cleaning, barely using the biceps to left the given weight at all.

biggfly

biggfly

Awards
  • Established
All be it there was some good science elements discussed here, Russy russ is on point, but overall, this whole thread was worthless as a whole. Why so much on bicep isolation exercises?? Jesus, if you lift, I mean truly lift, your bi's will get plenty of work in your pulling exercises(your compound pulling exercises). Chins, pullups, barbell rows, pulldowns, rows, etc. Unless you're the kind of guy that hits the gym, starts with dumbell curls, goes to the ez bar curls, then machine preacher curls, this thread is JUNK. Quit focusing on bicep iso's and stick to compound pulling movements, your bi's will get hammered, and if there is anything left, do a bi exercise on a leg day. My $0.02 worth.

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
All be it there was some good science elements discussed here, Russy russ is on point, but overall, this whole thread was worthless as a whole. Why so much on bicep isolation exercises?? Jesus, if you lift, I mean truly lift, your bi's will get plenty of work in your pulling exercises(your compound pulling exercises). Chins, pullups, barbell rows, pulldowns, rows, etc. Unless you're the kind of guy that hits the gym, starts with dumbell curls, goes to the ez bar curls, then machine preacher curls, this thread is JUNK. Quit focusing on bicep iso's and stick to compound pulling movements, your bi's will get hammered, and if there is anything left, do a bi exercise on a leg day. My $0.02 worth.
Couldn't agree more.

onimusha

Awards
So doin Bicep and tricep day better than doin bicep with back?

biggfly

biggfly

Awards
  • Established
No dedicated bicep or tricep DAY...your tri's will get hit when you are doing your pushing exercises, your bi's will get hit during your pulling exercises...no need to dedicate an entire workout or day to these 2 minor muscle groups solo...if you feel the need or feel they lag behind, throw in an iso exercise for each on leg days(do bi's on a leg day, and tri's on a seperate leg day...if your split is such as you have that. Space it so bi iso's are 2-3 days out from your push days, tri's same from pull days).

joeyd54543

Awards
Supinating the wrist does help peak the bicep when flexing for contests. (Think about pointing your palm behind the arm and bending your wrist down. Like a string pulling your pinking down and behind you from a double front bicep stance. Look how arnie does it ) So if you do this when lifting you should experience more of a work out, what my fellow collegiate athlete stated :)

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
Supinating the wrist does help peak the bicep when flexing for contests. (Think about pointing your palm behind the arm and bending your wrist down. Like a string pulling your pinking down and behind you from a double front bicep stance. Look how arnie does it ) So if you do this when lifting you should experience more of a work out, what my fellow collegiate athlete stated :)
Forearm supination was not the issue being discussed. Also, the forearms are supinated during a bicep curl...

joeyd54543

Awards
Dude you are pretty confrontational for no reason. Many people don't supinate durring curls. The extra inch with the wrist pointing down helps peak it durring a lift.

pavb10

pavb10

Awards
  • Established
haha yeah pretty true bout being confrontational

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
Dude you are pretty confrontational for no reason. Many people don't supinate durring curls. The extra inch with the wrist pointing down helps peak it durring a lift.
Do you know what the word supination means? Let's hear you explanation of how to perform a bicep curl without a supinated grip. And, do not say reverse curls.

pavb10

pavb10

Awards
  • Established
ok confrontation boy...why dont u invite him to a spelling bee too while ure at it. Maybe thatll prove that u are more knowledgeable... It is possible to discuss something without trying to prove ure superiority even if you know your right. Thats how adults behave. russy___russ, u could be the smartest person on here for all i know about lifting and exercise science, but why put others down so much?

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
ok confrontation boy...why dont u invite him to a spelling bee too while ure at it. Maybe thatll prove that u are more knowledgeable... It is possible to discuss something without trying to prove ure superiority even if you know your right. Thats how adults behave. russy___russ, u could be the smartest person on here for all i know about lifting and exercise science, but why put others down so much?
It's not that I try to put others down. I know many people read these threads, and I'd like them to read accurate material so that they can pass along the information instead of false information. By no means do I know everything about exercise science, however I am educated in the field. Sorry if I come off like that, I get irritated when I have to repeat myself..

joeyd54543

Awards
Russ i wasnt talking about doing an un supinated curl, i was talking about focusing more on the supination, pushing it to its limit of range to fully peak the bicept.... make any sense?

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
Biceps curls, along with any curl movement, are a pulling exercise. The function of the biceps is to curl the arm and to aid in pronating/supinating the wrist.

A mistake some people make is to curl the wrist at the beginning of the curl movement. You should not do this, as you're trying to make the biceps do the bulk of the work. Keep your wirst in alignment with your forearms.

Always try to keep tension on the biceps when doing curls; do not let the muscle go loose during the movement. The easiest places to allow this to happen are at the bottom of the movement and the top. At the top of the movement, squeeze the biceps muscles for a brief moment before lowering the weight slowly. This allows for increased contraction of the muscles and prevents you from throwing the weight back towards your shoulders, which takes tension off of the biceps.

After each set of biceps curls, you can pronate/supinate the wrist to increase the pump to the muscles, followed by flexing the biceps for 10-20 seconds or so, which also increases blood flow. More bloodflow to the muscles means more intensity. Still you want to allow the muscles to rest for at least a good 30-40 seconds before your next set.

These are the techniques that I have used with the most success.