Overtraining traps? - AnabolicMinds.com

Overtraining traps?

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.

Overtraining traps?

I noticed in the mirror that my traps are growing faster than the rest of my body. They're much stronger than most of my upper body.

I don't want to look like a bottle so I'm trying to chase it with a lot of shoulder excercises. The strength difference between my shoulders and traps are way off though.

I would be shrugging 3 sets w/ my traps (80 x 15, 90 x 12, 100 x 10), How do I slow the growth down for my shoulders to catch up??

2. Professional Member

Don't do shrugs?
  3. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugger View Post
    Don't do shrugs?
    That was the first thing I thought of too.
    "I am legally blind and if I can Squat,deadlift and over all get myself to the gym then anyone can get their a$$ in gear and get strong!!" - malleus25
    WHITE WHALE!
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  185 lbs.

Ya, definately quit doing shrugs. Your traps will always be stronger than your shoulders because its a bigger muscle. Also, when you are doing shoulder exercise like lat. raises, try to consciously elimate using your traps. Using lighter weight, sticking your chest out by contracting your lower traps, and keeping your shoulders down and back might help.
  5. New Member

I don't do shrugs because of this as well. I still get plenty of stimulation for my traps with deadlifts. I useto have overpowering traps as well, but I make sure to do plenty of lateral raises (its not really a shoulder size/trap size issue more of a shoulder width trap size issue).
  6. Advanced Member

I wish i had your problems. Mine won't grow no matter what i do. Everything else grows just fine, too.
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  171 lbs.

I've got the same problem too. BAD. I'm an ecto, and it was really bad when I first started training. I quit doing shrugs. I can't do deadlifts just because my knee is messed up. So that has helped too. Like the others said, I balanced it out with laterals. The tough thing for me, is my shoulders don't grow really. But what helped was started with laterals behind my back. I mostly do cables too. Seems to keep more tension off of my traps as I don't have to use them to balance anything. I keep the weight really low. I also concentrate hard on making my deltoids do the work. The lowered weight helps me do this. I also keep a 2/2 lift/lower ratio. Has kept my traps from growing too much while allowing a little more deltoid development because this way I can really concentrate on using my deltoids, while still allowing my sets to end at around 10 or so reps.
  8. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.

stuff I'd do

Lateral raises one arm at a time, soft knees chest out shoulders down/back and lift with the elbow, also try to push the weight away from your body, not just up. You can also put your hand on the muscle and feel it work, which will help get growth for a little while.

Exercises for the lower/middle traps, chances are you have an imbalance if you only work your upper traps...do rows with scapular retraction and low trap raises (lie facedown on an incline bench at 45deg and grab two 5lb dumbbells, raise them at 10 and 2 o clock for reps with a slight pause at the top and a controlled eccentric)

Also...duh...quit doing shrugs and stretch your traps by putting your right hand above your left ear over the top of your head and pulling your right ear down toward your right shoulder, seated.
  9. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  178 lbs.

What are some good trap lifts mine grow extremely slow i do barbell and db shrugs on shoulder day but i wanna hit the lower and mid portion as well and develop a higher peak any help is great and you can just pm me instead of posting in here if youd like thanks!
  10. All Traps - No Tris
    Stats
    5'11"  246.4 lbs.

Hhhmmm... I like having big traps. I've quit shrugs though as my deadlifts have increased in weight. No need for them anymore.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. TRAPS?
    By at1010 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-01-2009, 11:36 AM
  2. Help with Traps
    By Whacked in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-23-2009, 05:34 PM
  3. traps
    By michaeljannis in forum Training Forum