Workout length while on cycle

Maxpwr

Awards
This is a somewhat general question - but I've tried googling and searching the forums, but have been surprisingly unsuccessful.

Do you (or should you) increase your workout length while on cycle? What about frequency of workouts?

I've always tried to keep my workouts to 1.25hrs maximum, preferably 1hr. Once per day. 3-5 workouts per week.

Let's say my goals were to recomp - so not strict bulking or strict cutting.

I know there are many variables, so my question is generally speaking.

Maxpwr

Awards
I should mention I've never been on cycle, so 1-1.25hrs is a pretty standard workout length.

Toren

Toren

Awards
  • Established
I wouldn't necessarily recommend increasing the length of your individual workouts, but I would suggest decreasing time in between sets as your strength and recovery improves during the cycle. Shortening rest times in between sets and thereby increasing your workout intensity will allow you to keep your workouts from getting too long. It will also allow you to add an extra movement or couple of finisher sets at the end of your workouts each day.

I would generally suggest to increase your frequency to 5-6 times per week while on cycle, especially if trying to recomp. Three times a week would not cut the mustard for me, if I was on cycle. Of course, this all depends on your workout splits. If you are doing a standard 4-5 day split, the 5-6 day per week freq, will work great. If you're a beginner and doing whole body workouts, 3-4 days per week may very well suffice. As you said, there are many factors to consider.

In general though, you want to increase the intensity and frequency of your workouts while on cycle. Steroids/SARMs will allow for quicker recovery so increasing intensity and frequency will allow you to maximize your results while on cycle. The one thing you must consider is that your muscles will grow stronger very quickly on cycle (depending on calories/training/gear), while your joints/tendons/ligaments will not have the same acceleration in strength (or the ability to handle increased loads). Take care to protect your joints by using supplemets, proper warm-ups/stretching, listening to your body and of course, pay attention to form and don't allow your new strength to cause you to injure your joints.

Maxpwr

Awards
Currently I'm doing an upper/lower 2 day split, and most weeks I get that in twice per week - a heavy workout (5x5) and a medium workout (4x8). So each bodypart is being worked twice per week.

However, often the heavier workout requires an extra day or two to recover from... and life gets in the way too, so I can't always get two rounds (4 workouts) done per week.

I'm just looking at options for my upcoming cycle, how to work it, or whether I need to change it at all. I've been using the above method for a while, but am constantly tweaking it - and it's been awesome for growth and strength gains.

Toren

Toren

Awards
  • Established
I'm always hesitant to recommend workout routines to people, especially when they are happy with the results from their current program. I haven't followed a "name brand" workout routine in a long time and it keeps me motivated that way. I've done many of the splits and styles and what works best for me is a program/split I designed for myself. I prefer lots of volume. Sometimes doing simple things (within the same program) can also have the same effect as changing the program itself. You can do things like changing arm angles, changing foot positions, increasing the amount of time in the negative motion of the movement, decreasing rest times in between sets, and even change grips. All of these things will force the body to adjust to the new stimuli and therefore adapt and grow.

If you're happy with the results you're getting, I would suggest continuing with what you know. As you get stronger, you can increase the weights or the reps as you see fit. As I mentioned in my previous post, I would definitely make it a point to decrease rest times in between sets as you progress on cycle. In theory, this should free up some time at the end of the workout to add in some lower weight/high rep finisher sets or even add a few sets for a particular lagging muscle group.

I like the idea of working each muscle group twice per week on cycle. The only suggestion I will make is that you might consider changing the second day of each group from a medium 4x8 workout to a slightly lighter weight and higher rep 4/5 x 10-12+. I've had some nice success with that variation in the past.

Another thing to consider is that if you keep a similar program (and tweak it as you get stronger), it will allow you to have a better gauge of how your 'supplements' are working on cycle. Maybe some others will have a different recommendation for you.

yates84 Dma378 MrKleen73 RegisterJr jswain34 Rodja

unreal89

unreal89

Awards
On non cardio days i super set and im in and out in 30-40 mins

Maxpwr

Awards
Thanks for the replies - solid advice.

I actually do make every 2nd or 3rd "medium" workout a lighter one, going up to 10reps. The routine itself has changed a fair bit, as I've found what works and what doesn't and modified according to the research that I'm always doing. I now incorporate rest-pauses and drop sets, and test 1RM every so often on my heavy days.

I think I'll take the advice of shortening my rests between sets. At the moment I probably do wait a bit long, but usually because I'm fatigued - I don't time it. I'm hoping the supplements will help with that.

I'm also hoping they will help with recovery time, even if only slightly. If I can be guaranteed to get all 4 workouts in each week I'll be happy. Obviously once on cycle, lifting will become an absolute priority, so no lazy days or drinking on the weekends!

Maxpwr

Awards
On non cardio days i super set and im in and out in 30-40 mins
Wow, that's a quick workout. I couldn't do that with my current split - but also can't really do supersets at my gym. I work out by myself at a fairly small gym, so I'd get some filthy looks if I'm hogging 2 machines during busy time!

unreal89

unreal89

Awards
I go at lime 2-5 am so usally big gym 5-6 people

coltonwalker

coltonwalker

Awards
Wow, that's a quick workout. I couldn't do that with my current split - but also can't really do supersets at my gym. I work out by myself at a fairly small gym, so I'd get some filthy looks if I'm hogging 2 machines during busy time!
Screw filthy looks lol you do you