MST's weekly weigh in #3 - Win a FREE bottle of MycoGreen!!!

CTDeuce

CTDeuce

MST Reppin Hard!
Awards
  • Established
Welcome to the new weekly contest from the folks here at MST! The rules are simple...we will pose a question each week and we will be taking the answer that we like the most at the end of the week as the winner of the contest. You can post as many times as you like and this contest will end each week on Saturday morning and start each week on Sunday night. You are not required to log the item that you win, but we will not be upset if you choose to log. The call is completely yours!

This week's prize = 1 FREE bottle of MycoGreen!!!

Week #3!!!

Category - Sports

Question - “Which sport do you think will become the next sport that is adopted into the hearts of Americans that hasn't already become HUGE in the US (and state your case as to why)??”

1. Rugby
2. Tennis
3. Soccer
4. Lacrosse
5. Cricket

thanks everyone and remember....there's no right or wrong answer here....so let's have some fun!!!

benj851

benj851

Awards
  • Established
lacrosse.

at least here in the southeast I have seen this sport grow and grow. most high schools actually have teams that are just as competitive as highschool football. Its a rough sport that everyone gets beat up in. And just like football the game gets better with every drink you down! :)

hope I win! dying to try this stuff!

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
I wish the answer would be RUGBY but...

I honestly think the next sport that is going to win our hearts over is tennis. Tennis is a game that can be played by anyone at any skill level. Tennis does not have to be overly competitive, I play with out keeping score with my girl friend as a way to get some exercise while having fun. Tennis is a sport for those of all ages, i know older men who play tennis still to get exercise. The great thing about tennis is that it can be taken as seriously or as lightly as the players wish, and is a great form of social interaction.

Recent events have helped the sport gain a spot in the hearts of the people. How about a MOM or a 17 year old winning major opens? These are real life stories about hard work and dedication paying off, and dreams coming true. The people love these stories, The stands are being filled with shirts saying BELIEVE because tennis is giving its fans something to believe in. Tennis has done all this while keeping its reputation clean, and is quickly becoming the sport that baseball once was.

I have only played tennis socially, but this is my opinion. I love MST products and would love to let everyone know my experiences if i win!

Kevin R

Awards
  • Established
Which sport do you think will become the next sport that is adopted into the hearts of Americans that hasn't already become HUGE in the US (and state your case as to why)??

My answer is soccer.

Now, some would argue that this sport is HUGE in the US already, but I disagree -- look at England and countries like Brazil -- they go crazy for soccer. With the US actually showing a run for the World Cup lately even I, a person who once despised watching soccer, can't help but get excited. I really do think that this will be the next sport to catch Americans hearts and pocket books. With more and more US players to look up to -- not only on a USA but a local level (I know my hometown soccer team is getting more and more popular every year) -- they sport will take off to reach the fan base of England, Brazil, etc.

rabbievil

rabbievil

Awards
i dont think any of those.people in america are set on thier football,baseball, and basketball.i think some of these might pick up in regional area's,but thats it.hockey for instance,is a regional sport.thats why it does not get good tv ratings.hockey is huge here in michigan,florida,i suspect not so much.so with those choices,one could seperate from the pack,but still probably ending up regional sport.

SokVichet

SokVichet

Awards
  • Established
Soccer.

Being a Varsity soccer knocker in my own past, I've seen interest in the sport grow from nothing to the point of having a professional league in the U.S. I believe this rise in interest is a result of participation in the sport. As a recreational team activity, soccer has been growing in popularity for the last few decades. As more an more people are exposed to and participate in the complex and dynamic sport, the more demand for coverage there is. I remember an ever-increasing cable coverage and the day our high schools were given our own fields (no more listening to the football coach b*tch about roughing up his field). I do admit there has been a slight stagnation in the growth of professional leagues in this country, but these economic times are tough for those sports whose name doesnt begin with 'base', 'foot', or 'basket'...

CTDeuce

CTDeuce

MST Reppin Hard!
Awards
  • Established
Im loving all the reasoning for the choices everyone....keep it up!!

jdg487

jdg487

Awards
  • Established
football...wait

I would have to go with soccer too. Where I am from (Houston) it seems like everyone is playing these days. Compared to when I was younger and the only people that you would see playing were the upscale kids and the Latinos. Now you can drive around the city to various parks and see all kinds of people playing. This includes me too, I have played with people from Africa, Greece, Italy, all the way to the Middle East in the past few months.

Not to mention the growing popularity of the US Men's Soccer team. They seem to be getting better than ever, but just a few World Cup's ago they made it pretty far. Even the MLS is becoming somewhat relevant in the sporting world of people around here. It seems like I always see Houston Dynamo stickers/billboards all over the city. Some of my friends and I have been to a few games and we had a ball too. There was a great atmosphere and it seemed like everyone was having a good time.

All in all I believe that soccer is on the rise in the US, people are starting to come around to "the beautiful game"...

Urban Monk

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
3. Soccer. The world is watching, and so will we.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I dream would be wrestling, but it isnt on the list. I mean u get to beat the crap out of somebody for 6 minutes.

Ok to the topic... Soccer. I think lacrosse and rugby are too similar to football to get the athletes generally needed for people to get into a sport. That is why nobody watches the WNBA there just isn't enough athletism shown. Not knocking women or the WNBA it is just a fact that fundamentals outweigh athletism in the WNBA.

U can't get America's attention without athletism. I mean look at Lebron James he captured everyone's attention before he step foot on an NBA court because of his athletism. Soccer has the best chance of the 5 to get the kind of athletes needed. Soccer players can do crazy things on the pitch.

CTDeuce

CTDeuce

MST Reppin Hard!
Awards
  • Established
Soccer has the best chance of the 5 to get the kind of athletes needed.
I am in total agreeance that some of the best athletes and fittest people in the world are soccer players, however if you're claiming that other sports cannot drum that kind of athleticism and fitness I dare you to say that while standing in front of Rafael Nadal

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I am in total agreeance that some of the best athletes and fittest people in the world are soccer players, however if you're claiming that other sports cannot drum that kind of athleticism and fitness I dare you to say that while standing in front of Rafael Nadal
I meant that as a whole especially in the sense of our own athletes. The reason why other countries are better than us in what we consider nonmainsteam sports is because kids don't grow up playing those sports for the most part. So there is less of a chance of a special athlete of say Lebron's caliber playing tennis.

And trust me I can't hate on tennis. I know a Swiss girl who got me into watching a little tennis mainly Federer though.

edvanp

edvanp

Awards
  • Established
Lacrosse-

I played Rugby myself and loved it, but there are more kids playing Lacrosse each year and eventually, 5-10 years, there will be a significant number of Ex-players out there. It's fast, physical and fun to watch!

Attachments

westpointer

Awards
Rugby! I'm from North carolina and there is no rugby down south, but up north here at west point rugby is huge. I think that the general attitude around the sport will cause it to take america by storm, just give it some time. everyone who watches it in europe reminds me of the ufc crowd, and that group is growing in america. Some of the players are such sketchy looking and acting everyone in america will love the drama that goes along with the pro ranks, since everyone loves drama here in america. ITs a rough and physical sport and i can see it taking off within the next 5-10 years

BoSox36

BoSox36

Awards
  • Established
I would have to say tennis.....Rugby, Soccer, Cricket are sports mainly played in European countries. Most Americans, like myself dont know much about cricket or rugby. Soccer (especially when I played in High School) was supposed to be the Next best thing, and that was 20 years ago and it hasnt taken off much.

I would of said Lacrosse, but thats a sport mainly played in college. I would have to stick with tennis because it seems as though alot of people watch it, but not me!

WeakPoint

WeakPoint

Awards
  • Established
I definitely think Soccer will become the most popular out of the list.
It is growing in popularity and a lot of people are watching soccer more and more I find.
Look at the signing of Beckham and the huge contract for the L.A. Galaxy, it was all over the sports headlines. It is one of the last major sports to hit it huge in America. baseball, hockey and football are already big and now its soccer's turn.

johnyq

johnyq

Awards
  • Established
definitely cricket.

no not really. I think soccer is the obvious choice, with a close second to tennis, but I'm not going to say those. I think they don't have that American feel, and while they will see continued growth, they won't ever be the size of football or baseball.

The other sports mentioned don't have a hope. Either too odd (cricket), or too close to other sports (lacrosse and rugby).

I believe that the growth strongman is currently experiencing at the bottom levels will springboard it to much bigger numbers in the near future (much like youth soccer leagues have done for pro soccer). A number of amateur organizing groups have sprung up, there are a lot more competitors than ever, and a lot of strength athletes are being drawn to it. This will bring more viewers, better competition, and eventually more advertising dollars. Expect big things from strongman in the future!

capnsavem

capnsavem

Awards
  • Established
Question - “Which sport do you think will become the next sport that is adopted into the hearts of Americans that hasn't already become HUGE in the US (and state your case as to why)??”

1. Rugby
2. Tennis
3. Soccer
4. Lacrosse
5. Cricket

ok, out of these choices, i would have to say lacrosse. i live in san diego CA, and i see kids walking to school carrying their lacrosse sticks all the time... even the inner-city kids. i used to think of lacrosse as an upper-class sport for the CEO's kid that was bored with tennis and needed an outlet after a grueling day of private schooling ;) now it seems that every kid that plays football, plays lacrosse in the offseason.

lacrosse is what every sports-loving american salivates for: fast paced action, skill and accuracy, and in-your-face smash-mouth intensity. my 11 yr old son is currently playing Pop Warner football, but every year he wants to play lacrosse too. looks like i'll give him that chance soon :)

benj851

benj851

Awards
  • Established
Actually I changed my mind. I think the next big sport to be picked up out of any of the choices would be 6. female table tennis.

Who doesn't want to watch that!?

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I honestly think the next biggest sport is gonna be disc golfing. Tons of leagues, clubs, associations being formed everywhere. Huge tournaments at my school, and leagues are eveywhere. Its a really fun outside game and is pretty casual yet competitive. I think soon you will see this being very competitive. Make fun of me if you want but its true!!!!

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
capnsavem

capnsavem

Awards
  • Established
I honestly think the next biggest sport is gonna be disc golfing. Tons of leagues, clubs, associations being formed everywhere. Huge tournaments at my school, and leagues are eveywhere. Its a really fun outside game and is pretty casual yet competitive. I think soon you will see this being very competitive. Make fun of me if you want but its true!!!!
that was hot back in the eighties... maybe even into the early nineties... my pops used to play and i would go with when i was a young'n

... i have heard about it recently, but until i see gobs of kids playing and schools having frisbee golf programs and leagues... i think it'll stay a "hobbie".

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I dunnooooooo haha. Its getting pretty big.

benj851

benj851

Awards
  • Established
just like female table tennis. each competition always seems to be packed with spectators!

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
my second vote goes to rugby

LionKingGod

LionKingGod

Awards
I thought Tennis was already popular?

well Im in canada, and all they show is tennis this tennis that, on sports news, its always tennis!

female tenniss, isnt it already popular in the us lol?

I choose tennis

elshano

elshano

Awards
Category - Sports

1. Rugby
5. Cricket
Has to be a split between cricket and rugby.

There is nothing so satisfying as being from a colony and beating the motherland in a sport that they themselves invented. Now, being former colonists yourselves, what could be more delightful than smashing England bowlers over the fence or trampling the English scrum into the dirt? (Answer: nothing)

I'll even break it down for you. You have some basic athletic templates already well established.
Rugby Union
Step 1: recruit the biggest, baddest linebackers from the NFL. they are now known as props.
Step 2: recruit the best running backs from the NFL. they are now known as wingers.
Step 3: ???????
Step 4: profit.

Cricket
Step 1: recruit the tallest, meanest pitchers in baseball. they are now known as bowlers.
Step 2: recruit the mightiest and most consistent home run sloggers in baseballs. they are now known as batters.
Step 3: ???????
Step 4: profit.

So really it's a simple answer. Let the American public see what they really, desperately want to see: their countrymen (and women) smashing the Poms on the rugby field and the cricket oval!

soundcheck129

Awards
I'm gonna have to say that Lacrosse will be the next sport to tear across America. Lacrosse already has a minor foothold in some areas of the country, and there are a lot of things that can contribute to its expansion. First, Lacrosse was developed by Native Americans, so in this way it is a historically American pastime, and I think a lot of people will take pride in that. There's something about knowing people in your area have been playing a sport for hundreds of years that makes it more enjoyable.

Secondly, Lacrosse is very reflective of life in America - fast-paced and exciting. As opposed to a slower sport such as baseball, Lacrosse will keep your pulse pounding non-stop, whether you are playing or just watching. Lacrosse features a lot of scoring and dazzling plays, most of which would make SportCenter's Top 10 on a daily basis. This is also a contact sport, which makes it ideal for the American Alpha Male to play and exciting for anyone else to watch.

Lacrosse combines the finesse play and toughness that you see in hockey, except it can be played almost anywhere, in pretty much any type of conditions, which should help it gain a larger following. The rules of the game are also pretty easy to understand, so there isn't a big learning curve or a lot of complex conditions that will leave people wondering what is going on. All Lacrosse really needs at this point is some good marketing, a few big names and a couple of major markets, and it will be the next big American sport.

CTDeuce

CTDeuce

MST Reppin Hard!
Awards
  • Established
thanks for the entries everyone....we'll be announcing this week's winner (as well as posting a new "weigh in") very soon!!

CTDeuce

CTDeuce

MST Reppin Hard!
Awards
  • Established
Thanks for your patience everyone and please remember to toss your submissions in for next week's thread being posted tomorrow to win a FREE bottle of Athlytes (our new electrolyte product) AND AND AND a FREE bottle of Spirit by Bellezza Botanicals (our new completely 100% natural foaming soap and body wash).

Sometimes you just have to choose an answer that you don't necessarily agree with...and with what I feel was the best description as to WHY they chose their sport, this week's winner is = CapnSavem

Its true that lacrosse has really begun to gain popularity amongst ALL types of people as opposed to just the kids looking for something semi physical to compliment their golf careers. Lacrosse could potentially open up to a large market if made professional and broadcasted like other major sports.

Send me a PM with your info bud.

soundcheck129

Awards
Congrats, I agree, lacrosse is poised to be big.

capnsavem

capnsavem

Awards
  • Established
awesome!!!!

thanks MST and CTDuece!!

i can't wait to try MycoGreen, and the Spirit by Bellezza Botanicals wash!!!!

and i'd be happy to log and/or review the products as well!

pm being sent :)

capnsavem

capnsavem

Awards
  • Established
LOL my bad! i cant wait to try the Mycogreens though fo sho!

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
i think that if more people tried playing tennis and realized how much skill and athleticism are involved that they would appreciate it more. seeing tennis played live is also something that would increase the respect for what it takes to play tennis on the professional level. a close 5 set match is probably equal to running a marathon, with cameras watching your every move for 5 hours.